Fans Upset After Concord Pavilion, Aerosmith Wait Almost a Day to Officially Announce Cancellation of Concert

August 13, 2014 · 51 comments

pavilion

Fans of Aerosmith are upset at the band and the Concord Pavilion today after the venue waited almost an entire day to announce the cancellation of tonight’s Aerosmith and Slash concert.

Employees say the Concord Pavilion knew about the cancellation just before 5pm yesterday. The employees say they were told not to report to work.

Rumors swirled, but it wasn’t until about 18 hours later, at 10am on Wednesday, when the Concord Pavilion made this announcement on Facebook:

“Due to illness, Aerosmith has been forced to cancel tonight’s performance at the Concord Pavilion in Concord, The band regrets not being able to perform for their fans. Refunds will be available at point of purchase.”

Fans of Aerosmith immediately lashed out at the Concord Pavilion….

“Employees of Concord Pavilion knew yesterday at 4:13. Why they can’t tell the ticket holders is beyond me!”

“There it is! Couldn’t tell us yesterday even tho half the town knew.”

Others say this isn’t anything new for Aerosmith….

“This is the *third* Aerosmith show I’ve attempted to go to that has been canceled.”

“They canceled the show because tickets sales were low. Perhaps they should look at the prices they were charging.”

“Well they cancel a lot of shows!!! Too bad…I took unpaid time off for this!!! It’s bullsh*t”

“The main reason I didn’t get tickets for THIS show is that they cancelled their last one at the Pavilion.”

Other people think the reason for the late public announcement is so the hotels don’t lose money….

“This is so sad…. the employees were told because they get paid if they show up today…. my clients whom have drivers, flights and hotels…. all lose their money….. and aerosmith cancels more shows than any other artist. google up Aerosmith cancelled show…. etc…. this is an ongoing activity. It simply sucks they know in advance and they don’t announce it until the day of the show.”

“This way all the hotels in the area can now charge you a cancellation fee. LOL”

“Terrible customer service for sure. Hello!! People make plans around events and knowing sooner is always better.”

“what is with the short notice??????????????? this sucks, and is very unprofessional”

And believe it or not, tickets are still on sale over an hour after they officially cancelled the concert (see image shown above)….

“It is irresponsible to ANNOUNCE the cancellation more than 20 hours after they informed the venue. And to continue to sell tickets and advertise when they know the show is not going to happen.”

I’ve seen the email to employees with my own eyes, plus two friends working up there yesterday were told in person that band member ill and concert cancelled. They are not to come to work. Live Nation is saying it’s still on AND still selling tickets.

“Pavillion Mgmt SUCKS!! You should of stopped selling tickets when you knew yesterday!!!!”

Others continue voicing their frustration….

I heard the samething yesterday from a friend that works at the venue. Very upsetting that they are going to wait till last minute to anounce to the public.

3rd time? And they knew yesterday?

What’s going on over there?

At this time, there are no plans to reschedule the concert.

1 anon August 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM

that explains why the traffic sign is now down on yvr

2 Chris James August 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Thanks, but nothing to be thankful for Mr Steven Tyler!

3 AeroFan August 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I kept seeing Facebook “announcements”, but nothing on the Pavilion’s site, Aerosmith’s sits nor Live Nation’s site. I decided to try a real person. Pavilion’s line is eternally busy. I called Live Nation and an automated voice told me it was cancelled and my refund would be applied to my card in so many days. Not even an option to hold onto the tickets for a rescheduled show. Just plain canceled. Luckily, I got word to my friend in Tahoe who was to come with me before she hit the road. But, still… more advance/official notice would’ve been nice. It spread like a bad rumor instead of official notice.

4 WC August 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I heard they got sick from some bad potato salad at the Rossmoor Bingo game last night.

5 Incognito August 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Here’s a concept, fans need to stop buying tickets to Aerosmith concerts, period. You’d see how well that works out for them…

6 Dina August 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM

It’s Sad that people don’t understand procedures. The pavilion had no authority to release an announcement prior to the bands publicity agent. It is ashamed that people do not understand that one of the members is really ill!!! The entire tour is in jeopardy!!! I am just as disappointed as everyone else is. However health has to come first! My prayers are with the members of the band!!! :(

7 Ben August 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM

F the pavilion yesterday at 5 pm?!?!?! shady!!!!

8 TinFoiler August 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM

It’s 2014, with Twitter, Facebook and even Pinterest (lol) there’s no excuse for not letting your fans know (which I am not) until the last minute.

9 Aero August 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM

They were in Lake Tahoe Friday night….guess they partied way too hard lol.

10 krystina August 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM

look. im just as disappointed if not more than the rest of you. there is no need for the lashing out on the band. maybe… just maybe… one of them is sick. maybe they were waiting a while to let us know because they were hoping that person would get better. you people call yourself fans. you should be praying for their health.

11 Judy L. August 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Unfortunately, this has become a trend with Aerosmith. They no longer need the money. Therefore, if they don’t get a certain amount, it is not worth it to get dressed in the morning. F*ck the fans….we already got our fame. I will never go to another Aerosmith concert again. Steven who?

12 TOB August 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Always a bright side to every story! Commute home will be better! :)

13 Stop blaming the Pavilion August 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM

People need to stop placing blame on the Pavilion. Aerosmith’s managers specifically told the Pavilion NOT to announce the show cancellation because they would do that themselves. The real blame falls on Aerosmith.

14 Russ August 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Will they reschedule? Dream on.

15 PHill August 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM

From what I understand the Pavilion could not make the official announcement until Aerosmith did even though they knew yesterday. Aerosmith’s management should have not waited so long. It is a bummer they keep cancelling, they put on a good show.

16 SKS August 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Get over it brat.

17 Sheri prater August 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Disapointment, I have been a fan since the 80’s and seen them many times. This is the first time I got floor seats up close and paid alot for these tickets. We have to come rain or shine so curtesy on notification would of been nice. Now I have to take time to drive to ticketmaster to get my money back, really would be nice if they thought about the fans who bring them there livelyhood!

18 Anon777 August 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Just got the automated call saying my tickets have been automatically refunded. So they are not rescheduling.

When they cancelled with the venue, they should have cancelled with the public. If the reason was private or personal why is the word that a band member has clogged arteries? Why not just ill? They don’t have to state a reason, but make the announcement that it’s cancelled!

19 Sarah August 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM

The Pavilion and their employees were not allowed to announce the cancellation until the band made their announcement. It’s too bad that Aerosmith chose to wait so long, but if it were up to Pavilion management they would have told their clients ASAP. They don’t want upset patrons who didn’t hear a last minute announcement showing up at the gates, which will definitely be happening tonight. I feel sorry for the employees who will have to field all those angry people, who have a right to be upset, and no one else to blame it on.

20 Sinbad August 13, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I read somewhere that Steven Tyler was afraid of corn snakes.

21 Silva August 13, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Glad I’m not much of a fan.

22 DogDog Dad August 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM

You gotta expect that. For Christ Sake, that’s what happens when you get that old. Body shuts down sometimes

23 Fumunda August 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Geezers

24 anon2 August 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Live nation website still has it available.

Announcement is on the aerosmith site at http://www.aerosmith.com/news?n_id=1151

25 Anon August 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I hope the band member is ok and this is not something life-threatening. Too many people on this site jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts.

26 Claycord Resident August 13, 2014 at 2:23 PM

If the pavilion couldnt announce it and they were not sure then why did they tell all the employees not to come to work today and why wasn’t the stage set up? They knew stop covering for them. They have an obligation to tell people.

27 Sarah August 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Not only did they just play at Harvey’s in Lake Tahoe – they were in Vegas just prior to that. “Illness” ya right. Too many strip clubs!!!

28 Concord Guy August 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I guess that I’ll have to take the little lady out to dinner at Olive Garden instead…

29 WTF? August 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM

TMZ reports the drummer has a heart issue and will be going in for heart surgery.

30 Mona August 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Yes Joey Kramer is ill, now that it’s on TMZ http://www.tmz.com/

31 Mike August 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Of course they waited to tell people, the more tickets they sell the more service charges they don’t have to refund !

32 Abbie R. August 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Steven Tyler ruined their last canceled show at the Pavillion a few years ago after He fell of the stage at Sturgis while high on drugs. Slash cannot ever be forgiven for the way He disrespected that wondeful Actress Savannah 20 years ago.

33 The Mamba August 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Aerosmith is an over the hill, horrible band that sold out years ago any way.

34 Curious George August 13, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Slash will be playing at the Fillmore tonight. Tickets on sale now. Go on Slashs twitter. Enjoy!!

35 C Martin August 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I just drove by Buchanan Field and noticed their Private Jet is still there… Still parked in the Handicapped Spot…

36 Kudleme August 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Thank you for posting this. I do hope Joey will be OK!

37 Sacto Rob August 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I saw Aerosmith at the Cow Palace way back in 76 or 77. It was a lousy set. The lead guitarist kept switching out his guitars and the set was noticeably short. Had to sit through a couple of lousy opening acts. Very unimpressed and I’ve never been tempted to waste money on them again. Fool me once…

38 It's 'Meme' is that you Ma? August 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM

We need to reinvent the Pavilion and develop an Arts Mecca location that in Years to come rivals that of – let’s say Austin, TX – to be straight up…

“The Concord Pavilion” was an Award Winning gem originally…

Design, acoustics, vibe…you name it…

We need to get back to basics to build a better version of the original plan in union with the MDUSD and a better relationship with many other educational arts educational organizations…

Perhaps a NYC type (only better) school of the Arts – an Arts Academy High School – let’s see:CAAHS (Concord Arts Academy High School); and certainly inclusive relationships with not only local K-12 schools but beyond, especially LMC, DVC, Cal State East Bay, regional institutions and beyond…

A go to Music Festival ‘go to’ spot! For sure!

A slightly smaller scale “Hollywood Bowl” would be ideal…long term…Think big!

A 15 year plan could be implemented with de-negations welcome with Live Nation if their current 10 Year agreement becomes hard to hold…

I was sad to see the ‘San Jose Rep’ go under…
We could really have a much better ‘road house’ than Walnut Creek!

We need to go beyond the – one trick pony – redesign during the mega bands days – and look to multi-dimensional environmental (bigger and smaller) and their before and after functions…

Sometimes the show doesn’t go on folks!?

Love,
“MEME”.

39 Maria August 13, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Aerosmith Drummer Joey Kramer — Heart Problems … Band Cancels Tour Dates

40 Atticus Thraxx August 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Wow, that would be a bummer. If Aerosmith were relevant. or I had tickets.

41 Teacher Wannabe August 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM

No great loss. Worst concert I’ve ever been to was Aerosmith in San Diego. Sound sucked, they played 1 hr and left, no encore or anyrhing.

42 JustMe August 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Having been involved with the pavilion for many years, although not currently, I can tell you, that a number of performers have gotten sick the day before or the days leading up to the performance. I was there the night that Whitney Houston cancelled 10 minutes after she was supposed to be on stage. I’ve also seen a number of performers go on stage when they were sick, and sometimes you couldn’t even tell they were not feeling well. One performer comes to mind– whom I won’t name, was horribly sick, and put on an amazing show. There’s been all sorts of reasons for cancelling shows. Although it may seem cut and dry, a lot of coordination and even legal wrangling goes on behind the scenes. Things can and do change up to the last minute. I’ve known some artists to perform without their bands, artists who performed without power (although it’s not ideal because the lawn can’t hear), last minute substitutions, shows that have started late, and all sorts of accommodations to make things happen.

I feel for anyone who is looking forward to a show that is cancelled, but unfortunately they do sometimes happen. I don’t fault the pavilion, nor do I blame the band. It’s really not in anyone’s best interest to cancel a show.

43 Starman August 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM

If there were going to be no employees then the knew that they could not hold a concert because there was no staff for the venue. Aerosmith should have notified there fans right then. Case of a band to big for its fans that is why I stopped supporting the irresponsible bands. Aerosmith is one of them
The concord pavilion is a out dated venue any way. All the tech in the world and they can’t tell there fans. Face it your not important to them . That’s why there not important to me

44 S August 13, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Oh aerosmith. Always something. Few yrs back watched him fall off the stage at the buffalo chip in Sturgis after just two songs. Tickets were not refunded. They were very pricy. After that he cancelled all his shows after. As much as I love his music I have to say he just doesn’t have it anymore and should probably stop trying to entertain. People get very disappointed when they spend big bucks to see him. It’s not just the tickets either. The cost of travel and lodging too.

45 Just reported August 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM

the drummer, Joey K. has to have heart surgery.

46 No Fan of Aerosmith August 13, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Put the blame on Aerosmith and Live Nation, NOT Concord Pavilion. Employees were given notice to “not come to work” on Tuesday nite, and TOLD to not post it on Facebook, tell friends, etc. at THE BANDS REQUEST. What was the big secret???. Employees were stuck in the middle, and lost a days work, because they followed the request.
Put ALL the blame on Aerosmith and Live Nation.
The Concord Pavilion and the City of Concord are doing a great job this year–big remodel, more concerts, better groups–that show up–and a really nice place for a concert.
Too bad Aerosmith is a group of weenies, who put the fans way down on the food chain.

47 dinkydau August 14, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Never did like Aerosmith. Tyler is ugly. Too much make up. I had long hair long time ago. He needs to grow up Quite living in the 70’s. If people don’t go to see this clown, then the group will go broke. Money talks!!

48 Anon777 August 14, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Mike #31, you get ALL fees refunded. They cannot keep service fees when they cancel.

49 Don August 14, 2014 at 7:29 AM

FOR SURE SHADY.I work with a guy that does shows as well. I asked if the rumer was true and I got no responce what so ever.

50 anonmtz August 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM

…other sources state that the Aerosmith drummer was hospitalized with a heart condition……..

51 Chris L August 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM

hurts to have, waste time and money to set up[ for show