PICS: Scorpions, Tarantulas Spotted During Hike on Mt. Diablo

August 10, 2014 16:30 pm · 24 comments

bump1

bump2

The first of two “things that go bump in the night” hikes took place on Mt. Diablo last night, and our friends “Killjoy” & “Atticus Thraxx” attended the event.

“Killjoy” gave us a review (below), and sent the pictures shown above….

I attended the Things that go Bump in the Night with Atticus Thraxx. I can’t say how he found it, but the folks who were giving the tour seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about the area and the creatures we were looking for. They had a couple of live, pet Tarantulas that they let people hold if they wanted to. They showed a few moltings as well, and even gave a history lesson of the area.

We went on a leisurely four mile hike, where we did see a couple of Tarantulas in the wild. I must admit, the pet Tarantulas looked a lot healthier than the ones in the wild.

Once it got dark out, we were able to spot some of the Scorpions. Much to my surprise, they glow with a fluorescence under a UV light, and quite frankly, that’s the only way you can find them.

Alas, I didn’t see any bats, but there were a few folks who said they saw two or three. I was looking down, and not up. Other than droppings, there were no signs of Coyotes or Bobcats, but with 30 people trouncing through the forest, I’m sure we weren’t exactly quiet.

Thanks to Killjoy for the review & the pictures!

If you’d like to attend the next hike, which is scheduled for Aug. 23 from 6pm-9pm, please send an email to mtdiablohiker@aol.com. The event is free, but you have to pay $6 to park in the lot off Mitchell Canyon Rd.

1 Enfield303 August 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Sounds like fun. Who had the uv light with them?

2 Killjoy August 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM

The folks who were leading the group had the UV lights, knowing that they would be needed for viewing the scorpions.
And yes, it was fun. :)

3 kira August 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Why?? Why?? WHY?? I hate spiders !!!! Yuk

4 Marianne August 10, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Fabulous, I’ve never seen glow in the dark scorpions.

5 Jesse August 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Very cool. I wish I’d gone along. I didn’t know we had scorpions around here.

6 Soxtiger August 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Always wanted to take part and always missed the date for the hike. Thanks for sharing, will sign up for the one on August 23rd. :)

7 anon666 August 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

My friends and I go down to an area in the Mojave desert each November to do some camping. We always see tarantulas down there and they look like the ones pictured.

Here’s a shot of one my friend took one year.

8 Marissa August 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I thinks most are upset because they couldn’t watch the tarantulas.

9 Atticus Thraxx August 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I really got a kick out of that hike and want to do more.Crazy bright moon made bat viewing tough and I didn’t see any rattlesnakes which was a bummer. But the tarantulas and scorpions, once you knew how to look are all over the place. I’d tell you some of the neat stuff we learned about the mountain and it’s history and ecology but I don’t want to spoil if for any of you.Go do a hike!
Killjoy of course was friends with half the people by the time we were done and all it cost him was a flashlight.

10 Animal Lover August 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM

I communicated with the hike leader and the Aug. 23rd hike is now full.

11 Just another Concord resident August 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Yes, knew about the scorpions, have been stung at least a couple of times.. I don’t recommend it..

12 stillwatchclaycordfromtucson August 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM

These are most likely U. mordax – Pacific forest scorpions
found along most of the Pacific cost. Mildly venomous, less than a bee sting.

13 Ancient Mariner August 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Was stung by a scorpion once, while stacking logs on a Forest Service contract. Got me right under the left little fingernail and I thought it was a huge, deep splinter. Tried to shake the pain off and saw a scorpion hanging out of my finger by its tail. Like a really, really bad bee sting.
As Just Another said, I don’t recommend it.

14 More /Other Hikes August 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Keep checking the website for Mount Diablo Interpretive Association at mdia.org under the Activities Calendar. There will be several other hikes in the next few months, and they are added to the calendar regularly.

15 Anonymous August 10, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Yuck! No thank you!

16 Antler August 11, 2014 at 3:47 AM

Great story and pictures, Killjoy! Glad your buddy Atticus was enjoying everything, too……. four miles is a long hike for a flashlight, after all.

17 Killjoy August 11, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Yeah, about that flashlight……

Knowing that we were going on a night hike, I put fresh batteries in my flashlight, and also in a spare, just in case.
Well, as it turns out, there was a lady, whose flashlight was dying. So I asked her if she’d like to borrow my spare.
She said “Don’t let me forget to give this back to you.”
I was hanging back with one of the guides and a Ranger. Which is when we found a few more scorpions. I got back to the parking lot, and that lady had left, with my flashlight. :(

If you’re reading this, I’d like my flashlight back! If you need a description, it’s a black, Mini-Mag Light.

Thanks

18 UV Lights - August 11, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I got my UV (black light) flashlight at Ace Hardware on Clayton Rd.

19 anarchist August 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM

scorpions and tarantulas are deadly. one bite and you’re a goner. what are they doing in the east bay? along with black widows and wolf spiders. this is california, afterall, not mexico.

20 anarchist August 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM

these arachnids need to be eradicated now.

21 Mimi (original) August 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM

All right, all my hiking children and your friends: be careful out there!!

22 Killjoy August 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

It looks like I’m going to get my flashlight back after all. :D

23 Killjoy August 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM