UPDATE: Concord Motorcyclist Killed in Crash on Thursday Night Identified

August 8, 2014 17:09 pm · 53 comments

A motorcyclist killed in a crash in Concord on Thursday night has been identified as 29-year-old Kai Phillips of Concord, a Contra Costa County coroner’s deputy said today.

The crash occurred around 10:44 p.m. at the intersection of Oak Grove according to Concord police.

Police said the crash involved a 2000 Blue Nissan Sentra and a 2005 Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Police said officers found Phillips in the intersection, unresponsive and not breathing. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the car was identified as a 58-year-old woman from Concord.

Police said the preliminary investigation indicated Phillips was speeding and may have run a red light as the car wasturning left onto Treat Blvd. from Oak Grove Rd.

The exact cause of the crash is still under investigation.

RELATED STORYUPDATE: Concord Man Dies During Crash at Treat Blvd. & Oak Grove Rd.

1 Colaci August 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM

If you have nothing nice to say please don’t say anything at all.

2 AKA August 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM

RIP

3 LOUIE August 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM

My heart aches for the family. My prayers.

4 J August 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Wow.. another reckless motorcycle driver??? Im so surprised… Sike

5 Very sad August 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM

So sad so young. As a parent I just can’t imagine in pain they are going through. My.prayers go out to you.

6 senile driver August 8, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Motorcycles are so dangerous and then add a speeding driver and a nasty intersection……. :(

7 EastBayRatz August 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM

8 Reports are that he ran the light August 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM

while his riding companion stopped for it.

9 RIP August 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM

To the family of Mr Phillips . I’m so sorry for your lose. I pray for peace as you travel this road.

10 Response to eastbayratz August 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM

You shouldn’t call car driver names. He ran a red light sped they a stop light while his poor friend on a motorcycle stopped at the light like he was supposed to. Sad he had to witness his friend getting hurt and the poor woman driving legally had to be traumatised by his reckless behaviour. Watch your mouth! Your words hurt people. Sooooo sad for ALL involed.

11 catie August 8, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Omg I went to high school with him…RIP!!

12 Anon August 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Regardless of the cause someone died last night. So sad RIP

13 ANON August 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM

“RIP biker bro. Stupid drivers out there in their cars not paying attention to us riders.”

******* that was a stupid statement

live hard ,play fast…die young………….

14 Anon August 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Excuse me mr. Ratz, how am I supposed to keep from colliding with your kind if you won’t obey the traffic laws? I mean you blow a light and plow into my car at fifty, what am I supposed to do? Aside from duck I mean.

I saw one of you guys disregard a turn signal and almost rear end a truck in your ever constant need to lane split. Then get all pissy and give the guy the finger. You don’t own the road.

You also don’t understand the laws of physics. In a relative comparison your body at those speeds is more akin to jello than steel. Why not respect other drivers and be safe.

I do my best to be safe but flinging yourself around like a lemming with flaming skull tattoos isn’t helping.

15 lights and sirens August 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Going to ignore the one dumb comment from east bay rider rat. . And say so sorry to the family of the departed and the others involved. .

16 Anon August 8, 2014 at 8:39 PM

What a shock. A motorcyclist driving like the road was a race track.

17 SKS August 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Run a red, whether in a vehicle or on a motorcycle, can result in very bad things. It’s not worth it.

Case and point.

@7.. You’re a pencilhead and soon to be organ donor.

18 RIP August 8, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Motorcyclists need to obey traffic laws so sad but like the ER doctors say: If we had no motor cycle riders we would not have organ donors. That is how hospitals get most of their organ donations.

19 tangalang August 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM

everyone bashing on eastbayratz (deserved), but no one calling out J for being a dumb ass too.

20 EastBayRatz August 8, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I find people who can’t or don’t know how to ride usually bash the ones who do. Sounds like jealousy to me. Ride safe brothers! There’s full of stupid drivers out there looking to make us wreck.

21 Barack Obama August 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Sad, I hope his family can greve without reading these stupid comments.

22 firefighters daughter August 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I do feel very bad for Kai and his family, however, obey the laws and don’t run red lights! I see this EVERY day. Prayers, also, for the woman who he plowed into. She will have to remember this for the rest of her life.

23 Mrs August 8, 2014 at 10:18 PM

People need to understand that when you go through a intersection on the tail end of a yellow light the moment it turns red it turns green for the cross traffic. A small one or two second delay could save a lot of lives. What a tragic waste of a young life. Our hearts go out to the family.

24 nani August 9, 2014 at 12:37 AM

i SEEM TO THINK MOTORCYCLISTS FORGET THEY HAVE NO PROTECTION AROUND THEM … THEY TRAVEL TOO FAST… PASS ON THE RIGHT AND IN BETWEEN CARS AS IF THEY ARE INVINCIBLE.
SOMETIMES IT’S HARD TO HAVE SYMPATHY.

25 How Do You Know? August 9, 2014 at 12:49 AM

He didn’t have some kind of mechanical failure?

Just sayin’ because I blew through an intersection once when my brakes failed. By the grace of god I didn’t hit anyone and was in a car, which offers a lot more protection that a motorcycle.

Whatever happened, the focus should be on sending prayers to the family instead of idiotic finger pointing.

26 chari cole August 9, 2014 at 6:40 AM

God bless him and his family. We all do things that we should not do at times and sometimes we pay the ultimate price. Very sad.

27 Fig Newton August 9, 2014 at 7:32 AM

I go out of my way to give the Motorcyclyist room to ride,, give them the right of way all the time no matter what ! After losing a good friend in 1985 who lost his life (Rodney Barton) I go out of my way to insure they are never crowded ,,,,this is a tragedy,,,,I don’t even ride bikes,but have a huge amount of respect for those who choose this form of transportation!

28 wow August 9, 2014 at 8:01 AM

If he ran a red light then the cops should rule this death a suicide. Let this be a reminder and lesson to other motorcyclist, dont be dumb and wreckless.

29 Anon August 9, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Yes Ratz, everybody is picking on the pretty girl.

30 Silva August 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM

#23, What an absolutely BRILLIANT idea!!

31 tangalang August 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

@wow – um, isn’t this a lesson for everyone?

32 tangalang August 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM

@nanin – Sometimes I think there should be an IQ test before people are allowed internet access.

33 Kim August 9, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Kai was my besr friends boyfriend. We are deeply saddened by this and appreciate all of the condolences. @wow- shame on you. Show some respect. We are grieving the loss of someone very important to us. This is not the time to speculate! Pay your respects or leave your comments to yourself.

34 Shiloh August 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM

@Kim, I don’t mean this disrespectfully, but sometimes it needs to be pointed out that this is not a forum for paying respects. If your friend or the victims family sets up an online obituary with the Contra Costa times, or even a memorial Facebook page, THOSE would be the forums for paying respects. Here on Claycord, we use the comment section to comment on the article and discuss our views. Your friend was in a horrible wreck, it was covered on Claycord and it will be discussed on Claycord. I know some of the comments can be insensitive, but I think these discussions do serve to remind people to use caution on the roads, whether on a bike or in a car. I know I have never forgotten Soleimon and Hadassa, who were killed by David Rosen on Treat Blvd, and I think it makes me more cautious of pedestrians when I’m on the road. If all anyone said in response to the Claycord articles on that incident was “RIP”, the story wouldn’t be so ingrained in everyone’s minds. Some things need to be discussed.

35 Skippy August 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Sometimes, it’s too hard and dangerous to stop quickly on two wheels. Easier and safer to speed up and try to beat the light. A fast stop from full speed on two wheels can cause a crash in and of itself.

36 TinFoiler August 9, 2014 at 4:26 PM

It will never happen to any of you or your loved ones who ride until it happens to you or your loved ones.
I’m not sure if some ride because they cannot afford a vehicle, BUT, all that you have to do is drive around with your Eyes open and you’ll see motorists with EYES GLUED to their cell phones. If they swerve into your lane and you’re on a motorcycle = your dead.
Think twice about riding for necessity rather than luxury, your days are numbered.

I’m tired of seeing senseless deaths like this. The Motorcycle rider knows that He messed up, Ya think?!?!?

37 well... August 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Very well said Shiloh. Thank you.

38 Anon August 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM

How sad. Condolences to the family. I hope the poor woman who was in the car will be able to get past this without too much trauma. It must have been very hard to know there was nothing she could do to prevent the accident.

39 boccegrl August 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Mr Mayor

Shame on you for allowing all the negative rude comments

40 Incognito August 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM

It’s never a good idea to run a red light if this is what transpired. RIP

41 IF it is indeed a fact August 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM

that the motorcyclist was speeding and ran the red light, he made that choice, on one else. He chose his actions, no one else. No one or thing else to blame, no excuses. If anyone should wonder why he made those choices, all you can do is ask him.

42 @35 August 9, 2014 at 6:05 PM

If you cannot stop at a red light (you do realize that they turn yellow first right?) it is an indication that you are speeding.

Which leads to the question, why can’t motorcyclists follow even basic traffic laws.

43 Cowellian August 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM

It’s not natural to bury a child, and I hope all my kids outlive me. When our son was involved in Clayton’s Every 15 Minutes, we knew he wasn’t really dead, but the feelings in our hearts were real, and they were awful.

Among the most important lessons of Every 15 Minutes was that one person’s actions can impact many other people. And there are a lot of people have been traumatized by this tragic event. I feel bad for the person who was hit, and I feel very sorry for all the people who knew and loved the young man who was killed. But they should not come to Claycord looking for solace. This site is intended to allow open discussions about events that happen within the area. There are other sites that are far more appropriate to remember our loved ones.
PAX

44 @boccegrl August 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM

All the negative rude comments like yours?

45 Rollo Tomasi August 9, 2014 at 9:20 PM

@ boccegrl:

Shame on you for trying to tell the Mayor how to conduct HIS business.

46 crazytech58 August 9, 2014 at 9:21 PM

#35 Skippy….. you are an idiot, I have been riding for over 20 years, and every bike I’ve owned will stop faster and shorter than most cars at the same speed…… stopping 700 lbs from 40 mph is easier than 3000 lbs at 40 mph, your mentality is the same as the guy who just lost his life….. I can beat this light, I am fast and nimble, throttle and loud noise will prevail….. Not this time !!!

47 crazytech58 August 9, 2014 at 9:29 PM

To ALL the riders out there, be smart, be safe, ride like you want to live, not like you want to set a world record, there are too many distracted drivers out there, and too many bikers riding too fast and cutting things close…..too many of these posts about dead or badly injured bikers in the last few years

48 So sad August 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM

@ Kim-
My condolences to you and your friend. This is such a tragedy. My prayers are with you. I agree with you. Yes this website is to discuss views but people also need to keep in mind that family and friend’s obviously check updates on here. People need to be more sensitive to that. Again, my condolences to you.

49 David August 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM

RIP Kai Phillips. You will be missed. God bless him and his family and friends.

50 Bryan W. August 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Have you people forgotten that a young man perished in this accident!? He was 29 years old. THAT is the tragedy here. How dare you think otherwise. “It’s hard to have sympathy”!? (As quoted by a previous comment) Man…what has this world come to where you don’t have sympathy for the loss of a young ones life. SMH

51 Silva August 10, 2014 at 5:49 AM

If anything terrible and public ever befell anyone I loved I hope I’d have the good sense not to read posts on Claycord.com

52 Angie August 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM

#27 Hey Fig Newton.. Thank you so much for your comment! My father is Rodney Barton and I feel exactly the same way. Such a tremendous loss that has left a huge hole in my heart. My heart aches for this family and I will definitely send prayers their way.

53 Tragic August 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM

May this young man RIP. I feel sad for his friends and family and the poor woman involved.

Everyone needs to be careful out there. I see people in cars and on bikes speeding…it’s not just one of the other. The problem with car drivers is that there are too many people doing stupid things while driving like putting on nail polish, make up, combing hair, brushing teeth, blow drying hair, eating, text paging, talking on the phone…turning around to talk to people/kids in the back seat, driving with one foot on the dashboard, reading, etc.

People need to stop being so defensive too. When I see a bike coming through traffic, I pull over a little to give the bike more space to split the lane. I’d rather have the bikers go through traffic than have to sit behind a long line of cars and bikes. They have no protection around them. There is nothing holding them on the bike. If they have to stop suddenly, the bike may go down or they could skid into traffic and kill themselves. Allowing bikers to cut through traffic reduces traffic flow and snarled traffic. A few years ago I saw someone rear end a SF traffic cop on a bike…traffic was going about 5 miles per hour….very veyr slow, but I saw the cop go up in the air and he was on the ground. Even slow collisions are bad, so please everyone slow down out there and pay attention. It’s not just about crazy bikers…it’s about all drivers. We all need to drive safely.