UPDATE: Concord Man Dies During Crash at Treat Blvd. & Oak Grove Rd.

August 8, 2014 8:05 am · 49 comments

sad

As we previously reported, a motorcyclist died after a collision on Treat Blvd. at Oak Grove Rd. late Thursday night.

Concord Police have not released the victim’s identity at this time, but they are saying who they believed might have caused the fatal crash.

Although the exact cause of the collision is still under investigation, a preliminary investigation indicates the driver of the Harley Davidson motorcycle, a 29-year-old male resident of Concord, was traveling northbound on Oak Grove Rd. in the #2 lane of traffic at a high rate of speed and may have entered the intersection against a red light, while the driver of the Nissan Sentra, a 58-year-old female resident of Concord, was making a left turn from south bound Oak Grove Rd. onto east bound Treat Blvd., police said.

The driver of the motorcycle was pronounced deceased at the scene by AMR/CFD personnel. The name of the deceased is being withheld due to the ongoing investigation and pending notification of the family.

Anyone with additional information to offer regarding the collision, please contact Traffic Investigator Ken Carlson at (925) 603-5931.

RELATED STORY: Fatal Motorcycle Collision on Treat Blvd. at Oak Grove Rd. in Concord.

photo credit: “ratstalker”

1 Sharla August 8, 2014 at 8:09 AM

This is horrible to hear, too young…condolences to this man’s family.

2 JET August 8, 2014 at 8:13 AM

RIP to the victim, and my thoughts and prayers to the driver of the Sentra – this was just an accident and sadly is something that she will never forget. To all the motorcycle drivers out there – SLOW DOWN and be safe. There have been too many of these accidents lately.

3 Jess August 8, 2014 at 8:24 AM

My heart breaks for the family of the victim and to the driver of the sentra. She will never forget about this tragedy. I say it all the time, motorcyclist have to slow down. One, because they can hurt somebody else, two because 99 percent of the time it’s them who suffer the most injury. We as car drivers need to protect them, but there’s not much we can do when they don’t want to do necessary to protect themselves. Sad day..

4 chari cole August 8, 2014 at 8:35 AM

So sad. May his soul be at peace. Prayers for his family.

5 Buster August 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM

So sad that we lost another person at this intersection.

6 Hanagirl August 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I am so saddened to hear of this tragic accident. Such a nice young man. My prayers & thoughts are with his family & friends. Rest in peace Kai.

7 jk August 8, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I am sorry for the familys loss…people do drive way to fast…and when they
think they can make it thru a red light seem to speed up…bikes and motorcycles seem to want to drive faster these days…and we have to watch out for them..they do not seem to care…as if to say…we are in the right…not the cars…watch out for me….sad….I am so sorry to hear this…what time did this accident happen…I was driving down this road late last nite…anyone know what time it happened.

8 rides_with_angels August 8, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Being a very close friend of a young man who passed away in a motorcycle accident almost a month ago, my heart aches for this young man’s family and friends. And in this case, it hurts for the driver of the sentra as to there being a traffic light involved and this all being just unfortunate. As details are still under investigation, I know the pain of people’s opinions on blogs like this…so all I can and will say is my thoughts are with both sides of the families of this accident…and we must remember, driving is still a privilege, not a right. Even to this day. We all are responsible for our safety and others as best can be. These men are dying too young, too quick. I’m so very sorry for the loss of your son, brother, nephew, grandson, husband, friend. May he ride with angels <3

9 J.L.G. August 8, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I always use the San Francisco five second rule before entering an intersection.

10 Marissa August 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Ride safe not recklessly!

11 Cat Wrangler August 8, 2014 at 9:10 AM

We were returning from John Muir and our own medical emergency and were turned back to Walnut Creek by Police blocking the streets and didn’t know what happened. How very sad for both parties involved and their loved ones. May God comfort them during this most difficult time.

12 macAnon August 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM

RIP Kia! very sad

13 The Mamba August 8, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I used to ride and have always wanted to again, but too many of these fatalities lately.

14 CheechNchong August 8, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I feel da need, da need for spee…

15 Stupid August 8, 2014 at 9:51 AM

As a fellow rider, I have to say this was pure stupidy on the riders part

High rate of speed and entered a red light? Even if the light was turning from green to red, and he tried to to speed up to catch it, This accident wouldn’t happen.. The light had to be Red for a while for this accident to happen…

Be smart when riding people!

16 Tangalang August 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Jess – hopefully you spend as much time preaching to car drivers to pay attention as you do motorcycle riders to slow down.

17 mutts August 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM

All I hear are racing motorcycles on Clayton rd. Just heard another one. Don’t these guys ever get ticketed? Latest accident is no surprise.

18 Sick of speeders August 8, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Saw a middle-aged woman driving a Prius with an older woman passenger flying down Treat this morning. They ran a ran light just past Bancroft. Caught up to them around Oak Rd when a siren skipped their light… no medical emergency, just laughing and speeding and being SELFISH. Sick of all the red light runners.

19 Sodabud - ONE LOVE August 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I’m so sorry to hear of this accident. Kai was an amazing person, friend and brother to all. Your friends and family and all us motorcyclists will miss seeing you on the road 2 wheels down! Stupid, he was not. To all who write idiotic remarks on this blog or about this guy, you need a refresher course in proper english and etiquette. GODSPEED Kai……

20 Mom of an Angel August 8, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I am a wife, a mother, sister, friend and an aunt to Harley riders . I used to ride all time and we as riders know to look twice. My husband still rides his Harley, and most who do ride these bikes aren’t in a hurry. Younger generations who ride race rockets usually go a little faster, some believe they are invincible …We’ve all seen the ones on the freeway fly by us and I just pray. Your life is on the line when you ride and drive a vehicle each time you get on that road no matter how fast or slow you go. Being on both sides and understanding what it’s like to bury a child my heart goes out to his family. My son was killed riding his bike 29 months ago, going 5 mph taking a test ride. Solo. He was 23 and an avid rider. Accidents happen. There are no words just complete heartbreak for this family. I will be praying for the family and the all involved. May God give them the strength of there faith and comfort of others during this time.

21 Dorothy August 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Red light running is no accident. Stop calling crashes that are cased by either illegal or reckless behavior as accidents. Wrecks is more appropriate because it wrecks the vehicles and the people.

Curious if this guy had a bright red motorcycle. Almost saw a wreck when a red motorcycle made a left turn onto a 2 way, 2 land road, passed the bus on the left(!) just as that bus was beginning a left turn. One, the motorcycle turn left into the on-coming traffic lane, two, it tried to pass the bus on its left, three, the bus was in the process of beginning a left turn already. I could see this red motorcycle getting himself killed by running a red light as the article above indicates.

22 Nuttsie the Nutter August 8, 2014 at 10:40 AM

As a fellow rider it hurts to read of these accidents. I have been riding for 50 years and had 1 accident, hit from behind at a stop sign. I have broken both legs twice, one arm three times and the other once, but they have all been my fault, most off road.

Do I like to ride fast? Yes? It is one of the joys of riding But never on streets where there might be cross traffic or people turning. I have avoided many accidents because I was paying attention to other traffic.

Riding is much like driving an RV, which I have also been doing for 50 years. You have to be aware of everything, not just around you but several blocks ahead too. Motorcycles and 45′ motorhomes take a while to stop and people tend not to see you. [Yes, they tend not to see a big motorhome.]

Ride safe. I dread the day IO have to give up riding. There is no other feeling quite like being on a motorcycle. People that don’t ride never will understand.

23 never know the truth August 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM

A friend of mine says “nothing good happens after 10pm on the streets” I wonder if the article is based on the statement of the 58 year old woman. Isn’t this intersection arrow lighted for turns?
Are there any witnesses that can corroborate to the biker running a red light? Maybe it was the woman who decided to turn before the light was green?
I got to agree it was no accident as either the biker or woman had to break the law and run a light. Too bad there will only be one aide to the story.
R.I.P young man

24 KenInConcord August 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM

For those wondering about what kind of bike, This is his bike in happy times…

Very sad, prayers for his friends and family….

25 Linzer Torte August 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Rest in peace, Kai! Hope others will use this as a cautionary tale to be safe while riding OR driving.

26 anon August 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM

“at a high rate of speed and may have entered the intersection against a red light, ”

No real surprise–they are sued to getting away with all sorts of illegal/unsafe acts every day–even lane splitting @ 70 MPH +–seems like a death wish

27 anonanonagain August 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Shows that life can change in but a second. Very sad. People think twice about running that red light. Is it really worth the risk?? Be safe…….RIP to this young man and condolences to his family.

28 Rife August 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM

RIP Kai. You were loved and well-liked. 29 years old is too young to go. RIP homie.

29 roadglide August 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Our prayers going out to both families involved. Very sad news. May he rest in peace.

30 TJ August 8, 2014 at 12:41 PM

A few people have mentioned the victim – but by his first name only, his name is Kai? I didn’t see an official release of his name….can someone please tell me his first and last name? I want to make sure it isn’t a friend of mine. Thanks.

31 I'm The Urban Spaceman August 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Not looking to apply blame here…just thinking this through(if that’s possible).
Usually, the green turn arrows cycle first, before the Green for N/S traffic on Oak Grove. Late at night, will the N/S light cycle from green to red to allow a car to turn left onto (either direction) of Treat?
¿Anybody have experience here late at night?
If the cycle doesn’t change from green to red to allow a left turn, then the cyclist was just barreling into a red light, which I find hard to believe.

32 Marissa August 8, 2014 at 1:25 PM

R.I.P Kai, prayers and condolences to the families.

33 @TJ August 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM

His name is Kai Phillips. May he RIP

34 Sue August 8, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I live at this corner. I heard this crash last night between 10:30 -10:50. It was very loud and seemed to go own for a few seconds. I knew it was bad, but I didn’t know how bad. Police, ambulance and fire were there within minutes. Those lights go in a certain order and are timed. First the straight lanes, then the turn lanes. So either the motorcyclist ran a red light or the lady jumped the gun on her turn. Either way, it was a tragic accident.

35 Kathy August 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I know this young man and family as well; I would think if police have not named him, his name should NOT have been published here out of respect to his family. They should have been allowed to decide when it would be made public.

36 Nikole August 8, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I think it’s sad that you people are talking about blame at all. A very good man died. Why are you tallking about blame. Can you say you have never made a mistake while driving? You’ve never sped? Gone through a yellow just a little too late? If your here to give your two cents and show how much you know, get over it. Most of the people reading this article are friends and family of Kai. Have a heart! Share your riude comments elsewhere. We should come together as a community and help the friends and family that lost him , not place blame.

37 The Closer August 8, 2014 at 3:43 PM

@ Antler

38 Iwastherelastnight August 8, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I was there last night….very sad, no matter. It was sad. Period.

God Bless the fireman/paramedics from Engine 10 who fought furiously to save his life. Not for a minute……….for 20 minutes they kept pumping his chest and shocking his heart to bring him back. They tried and tried and tried and they never gave up…..even after they gave up they tried again. It was so sad for EVERYONE.

God Bless Engine 10 and all who ride her…………………

I have the video of their lifesaving efforts. Maybe someday I’ll post it.

39 @Buster August 8, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Intersection has nothing to do with this. People not stopping on red lights and speeding are the cause. Intersection is just like any intersection.

40 The Closer August 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Sorry, I have no idea how that got posted on this thread. But while I’m here, I hope the family of this young man can find peace through the good memories he left behind.

41 Ctown August 8, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Prayers to all the family and friends

42 #43 August 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM
43 sookado August 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Sue,
It is turn lanes first then straight. And she didnt and wouldnt jump the gun. Ever.

44 John wayne August 8, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I ride my bike all around walnut creek and north concord and almost get hit DAILY! To the point where I wear and record my rides with my GoPro….. Toooo many drivers only look over their left shoulder. LOOK BOTHS WAYS!!

45 @kathy August 9, 2014 at 4:27 PM

You can kindly remove your foot from your mouth. Thank you #46

46 No respect August 10, 2014 at 5:14 AM

I knew Kai only in passing but we had so many mutual friends it was ridiculous. The pain that I see in my friends faces is heart wrenching. This may be a place to discuss the situation at hand but are all the derogatory, ignorant comments necessary? And to say this is not a place to mourn is ridiculous. Who are you to say where someone is allowed to mourn? I guarantee that nobody would have one thing to say if you were standing in front of his family or friends. If he did run the light it was a mistake and he paid with his life. Nobody can sit here and say they have never run a red light or sped on accident. That’s bs because we have all done it. If this affected you directly you would feel the same regardless who is at fault. Nobody knows the facts. It’s one thing to speculate but another to speak ill of the dead. There are a lot of people in mourning including the driver of the vehicle so have some respect. People can’t mourn here but ignorance can run rampid smh. I’m praying for Kai as well as his family and friends. For all the people who want to continue to run your mouths, you are untitled to an opinion but do it with respect to the family. Then again this is the internet so nobody has big enough balls to say this to someone directly who knew this poor kid

47 Sway0214 August 11, 2014 at 1:13 AM

I’m sure if he was your own son, you would not be pointing fingers or placing judgement. The loss would be too great and too devastating to do so! Let us stop playing the blame game and remember a life was lost so tragically!

48 Rollo Tomasi August 11, 2014 at 7:36 AM

@ #49:

If he was my own son, I would be grieving and seeking solace among family and friends, not surfing the web.

49 Saddened August 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM

To the people that made callous comments regarding reckless motorcyclists: I kindly ask you refrain from publicly announcing such thoughts, as people such as myself that have known the deceased for a significant part of my life, read these articles as we mourn a life cut tragically short. I am certain you didn’t have the privilege of knowing him & therefore, are unaware that his smile could light up a room, that he went out of his way to bring happiness to others or that he was accepting of all views regardless of his own, but that is no excuse to belittle his loss. I understand that there are motorcyclists on the road whom are careless, but it is unfair to assume that my friend was such an example especially since the facts are unclear. I have known many that have been critically injured at no fault of their own as a result of drivers not paying attention &/or because of their selfish use of shared roadways. And the loss of life in such an instance is heartbreaking, no matter the fault. So in the future, please have consideration for others reading these posts that do not share your views. God bless.