New K9 Officer “Django” Arrives at the Concord Police Department

August 8, 2014 22:31 pm · 61 comments

good_doggy_bite_the_bad_guy

The Concord Police Department has a new K9, and his name is “Django”!

The following is from the Concord Police K9 Association:

Occasionally a private party or business will contact us, wishing to buy a Police K9 for the City of Concord. They don’t do this for spotlight recognition or tax benefits, rather they value the enormous benefit to the community in having these dogs out there protecting us.

Sometimes, there is an extra special reason: In 2008, the Tallman family generously donated funds that enabled us to purchase K9 Dantest; in honor of their son William. K9 Dantest is still working the streets, partnered with Officer Todd Nunn.

As our good fortune would have it, today we introduce K9 ‘Django’. The Moulding Company generously donated the funds for us to select K9 Django as our newest K9 who will help patrol the streets of Concord.

K9 Django is an 18 month old Belgian Malinois, imported from the Netherlands. He will be partnered with Master Officer Jim Nielsen and they start training together next month.

We look forward to having this team ready for patrol in October!

Stay tuned to our page – We will have one more addition to the team next week!

Many, many thanks to The Moulding Company for supporting our cause and ensuring we have the K9’s needed to protect our city. We won’t let you down!

1 Upset jet August 8, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I love the dogs name. How ironic considering what the dog will be used for.

2 Antler August 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM

What a wonderful gift from Moulding Company! Just look at Django’s deep chest…..lung power for chasing down the varmints. He looks ready for business, even before more conditioning and training with Master Officer Nielsen.

3 Grumpy Old Man August 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM

What a BEAUTIFUL pup! I know he’ll make Master Officer Nielsen and the Moulding Company very proud. God Bless!

4 Robert Tussen August 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM

That sounds all right. How much money are we talking about?

5 Dorothy August 8, 2014 at 10:56 PM

He looks like he is very happy to be here. Look at that grin.

6 Mamatosix August 8, 2014 at 11:00 PM

So cute! Although I will not be running up to pet him when I see him.

7 Dr. Jellyfinger® August 8, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Bet he’s fearsome….. “Unchained”

8 Happyness August 8, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Cool. How much does a K9 dog cost?

9 KenInConcord August 8, 2014 at 11:48 PM

That dogs look says

“Do you feel lucky punk, go ahead make my day!”.

10 Train August 8, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Cost is irrelevant when considering “How much are you doing?”

11 Dennis August 9, 2014 at 12:17 AM

The Belgian Malinois is the favorite for K-9 partners in the military, too. They are alert, intelligent, and loyal. They can achieve understanding of command vocabulary over 100 words. Great choice!

12 nani August 9, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Hello Django! Welcome to Concord, Stay safe sweet pup

13 Veronica August 9, 2014 at 1:04 AM

What the Hell! Part shepard, part pit, part doberman!?

14 bumper morgan August 9, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I dont think he’s full Malinois. Looks like a Malinois-German shepherd Dog crossbreed, and is identified as a GSD on adlerhorst’s website. As for cost, the dog came from Adlerhorst, so $20,000+ for the dog and training costs.

15 Me August 9, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Remember when our friend got his dog. Beautiful black German Sheppard, in 2009 or so.. Already retiring.. Know a little bit about K-9’s just from knowing one. And trust me, it aint cheap or easy. Not sure how much this dog was, Maybe $10,000 or so, who knows, but all totaled our friend said it was about $70,000 to have a police dog including training etc, and they only have a short 4 to 5 years of service. Stay safe, and welcome. Beautiful dog.

16 Me August 9, 2014 at 2:56 AM

Actually just read more like 15 to $20,000 for the dog and training costs etc. But I think he meant in total. You also need a special car and so on… Just aint cheap, to have an Police dog. But priceless to what they do for us.. I wouldn’t doubt 70g all total…

17 Anon August 9, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Let me see words to learn bite bite eat sleep bite bite Chase Chase

18 JRConcord August 9, 2014 at 7:14 AM

Looks like he’s ready to take a “BITE OUT OF CRIME”. I look forward to reading about his exploits.
To bad the dog cant blog.
I wish I had the $ to get the dog a go pro cam.
Great day everyone.

19 DoReMi August 9, 2014 at 7:22 AM

*snickers* …that dog needs work.

20 Smtc74 August 9, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Awesome!

21 Fig Newton August 9, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Concord Police,,,,,,,,,,,,,Always making this City safe!

22 Roz August 9, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Wonderful addition to the Police Department.
I think a puppy can cost as little as $800,…but trained,…much more.
But, Yes,…How much is this doggie in the window?
Maybe some folks out there would like to help out and a pitch in some $$ to add more K-9’s to the force.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd_Dog_(Malinois)

23 GoodGrief August 9, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Excellent! Go tear up some ass Django!!

24 I love dogs August 9, 2014 at 8:04 AM

and this guy has a great look about him. He’ll be a popular guy in this town. Most people here love pets this guy is special.

I’ll bet he’ll be a great police officer and a great asset to the force.

Any scum bag who harms any animal needs to be given cruel and unusual punishment for their crime.

25 City Girl August 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Thank you Moulding Company. I was already going to buy my moulding from them next month, but now I am extra proud to buy from them.

26 Walnut Creek Resident August 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM

What a handsome fierce dog that is!! If I were a criminal running away and that big strong dog was after me, I would surrender immediately. I guess if you surrender the dog is called off!! I am sure this costs thousands of dollars for the dog and then the training etc. That is too bad we have to spend this much time and resources to enforce our laws and protect the community but we have to!!! Beautiful dog I must say.

27 Thanks August 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Thanks, Moulding Company!

28 Silva August 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Well he really looks ready for duty! I wish him a very rewarding career in the department followed by a carefree and long retirement. Same for Officer Nielsen.

29 instagramma August 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Belgian Malinois , called the “Deer with Teeth” by military handlers for a good reason. Live long and kick a$$, buddy

30 Reality Slap August 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Love the Moulding Company for their products and the outstanding customer service they provide. Now, one more thing to love them for, their community service. Thank you Moulding Company!

31 Bumper August 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

He’s not a malinois. He’s a four year old GSD, probably a cross.

Look at number 8….

32 Anonymous August 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Go get em Django!

33 Barron August 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Let Django go in our parks he can bite and chase all the drug addicts and free our parks of scum.

34 Hatchlings August 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Have you seen my turtle

35 SevFam August 9, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Love the name!!!

36 Me August 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM

The Moulding Company has always been very helpful with great customer recognition and service. It’s nice to see they will be helping the community by sponsoring this K9.

37 captain obvious August 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM

The Adlerhorst website is RARELY accurate and it may not even be from Adlerhorst. That isn’t a 4 year old dog.

Although the up font cost seems expensive it really isn’t In the long run. For argument sake lets say it’s 30k to buy and train. Compare that to an Officer’s annual salary with benefits. Once trained that dog can search a house/building in a fraction of the time it might take 2-4 Officers.

MOST important is that Django’s number one job is to keep Officer’s safe by locating people who are hiding out of the Officer’s sight, ready to ambush them.

38 PhilthyPHRESH August 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM

It’s d’Jango anyways.

39 LazyK August 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I swear that the dog is smiling

40 Concord resident August 9, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Great, positive comments from everyone; loved reading them! Want to also thank The Moulding Company for their generous donation. What a contribution to our community! Additionally, I would be proud to contribute to a fund so CPD could purchase another dog if needed. If we contribute to fire works we should surely contribute to our family’s safety!

41 Buster August 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

“I wish I had the $ to get the dog a go pro cam” Do you think they would use it? I like the idea but it might be a problem if it caused the dog to get hung up on something. But during training it would be nice to see it from the dogs point of view.

42 Jason August 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM

For everyone inquiring about the costs, I was part of Concord PD’s Citizen Police Academy in 2002. At that time, it was $6,000 to train one dog. It’s probably increased since that period

43 bumper morgan August 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

CPD posted on FB, yesterday, that they were at Adlerhorst.

44 Atticus Thraxx August 9, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Sweet! Thanks http://www.themouldingcompany.com and the Tallman family!
Hopefully Dantest has a long career.

45 Mary Fouts August 9, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Django looks to be one solid, alert dog, very excited about getting to work. Don’t think I would want to be a perp doing the tango with Django.

46 funny man August 9, 2014 at 1:28 PM

will he be getting (at least he deserves it!) …
lifetime health benefits after 5 years of service?

47 Tom August 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Good looking dog! K9 officers are a welcome addition to any PD.

48 jrconcord August 9, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Buster,
you got the point. I just would love to have a point of view video of him doing his work. I mean hell look at that face. He’s a f****** movie star. He’s going to have grand adventures, chaseing criminals! it’s awesome.
oh yeah. The guys at the molding company are pretty cool too.

49 jrconcord August 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Sorry. ……Moulding company …..good people, good service!

50 Anon August 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I saw Django today at the pet food store. He is a great looking dog. He wanted no part of bath time. Funny

51 Kelly Anne August 9, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Yes! Go get em Django!!!

52 Thatguy August 9, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Kudos to The Moulding Company! I like businesses that give back to the community and support their police departments. Good looking dog, I am looking forward to reading about Django’s first apprehension!

53 "..He’s not a malinois. He’s a four year old GSD, probably a cross..." August 10, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I don’t care if he’s a Perfumed Pink Poodle….as long as he runs down Peuking Maggots and Tears Them Up……

54 anon August 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

MAYOR, thanks for posting this. He’s gorgeous! I heard Figo was back in action. maybe you can interview him and his new handler.

55 anon August 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM

mayor, maybe we can get a video of him doing and attack.

56 OMG August 11, 2014 at 4:50 AM

He is adorable! Just look at his expresion. Gotta love that!

57 Cant get over it August 11, 2014 at 4:53 AM

His paws look like hands. His mouth is smiling and his eyebrows are hilllarious. What a doll.

58 Marissa August 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Did he transform during the moon last night?

59 Veronica August 11, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I Cant get over it, either. That has to be a ukranian weredog, handsome though.

60 Darwin August 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Here kitty, kitty, kitty :)

61 Monkey August 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM