PG&E Workers Walking the High-Wire Near Pine St. in Martinez

August 7, 2014 · 13 comments

high_wire

Those PG&E workers are high!

Craig Cannon sent us the picture and a brief description of what he saw.

Seen from Hwy, 4 and numerous areas in Martinez, these guys are walking the high wire, just off Pine St. Appears PG&E is replacing isolation coils on this well over 100′ high power tower! What a sight! The high voltage wires hang from the ceramic and other non-conductive coils, to keep the wires from energizing the tower, thus grounding the 500,000 plus volts running through these lines!

Thanks, Craig!

Anybody else see these guys working today?

1 Those guys earn August 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM

their pay.

2 Atticus Thraxx August 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Amen

3 Anonymous August 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM

You gotta love these guys.

4 dilligafman August 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM

All I can say is- BALLS AS BIG AS CHURCH BELLS!. I wouldn’t do it, hell I get dizzy on a bathroom scale!

5 Stupid Kid August 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I can’t believe I was stupid (and lived to tell about it) enough to climb one of these in the 80’s. It was a large one off of Wilbur Ave in Antioch that stretches the wires to one of the Islands.
I remember the stairs flexing as you went up and the wind moving the stairs. There were four platforms at the top – The very top platform was incomplete so I went to the 2nd one from the top. Scary Sh1t.
What’s sad is that six months or so after we did that, two 8th graders were camping/ hunting off of one of the Islands – They did the same thing – climbed a large tower, the one kid either rubbed up against or just got to close to the wire and was electrocuted off – the other kid had to go back down and get help for his deceased friend. Awful.

6 bernie mack August 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I live near where these guys are working .I think there was 4-5 guys up there when I drove by.quite an awesome sight.people where pulling over to check it out.

7 Schmee August 7, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Free admission? Who needs the circus..?!

8 Sybil August 7, 2014 at 8:04 PM

High wire acts, isn’t that the guy from Cirque du Soleil?

9 Cat Wrangler August 7, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Not shocking at all. They are clearly outstanding in their work.

10 Chris K August 8, 2014 at 3:35 AM

I did, and for several weeks. Took photos of a helicopter lowering in place another top section on one tower on a hill. Adding lines to the top, 8 feet more view obstruction etc.. I know I am no one to talk, and we need power. But it is ( to me ) a sign of recent development in Martinez and our area, more homes, maybe better economy? And more People. Which sucks, but hey, I am here too. But I hate the wires blocking beautiful views and sunsets etc… Just a pet peeve that I know I am a hypocrite about, but we need to draw the line on development in our area and save open space. NOW. It will never come back and I don’t want to be like LA. But you have to admit that is one tough job. But this is depressing to me anyway…

11 Cowellian August 8, 2014 at 7:17 AM

It looks like they were out standing on their tower.

12 Sharla August 8, 2014 at 7:35 AM

They are both outstanding.

13 BandWagon August 8, 2014 at 8:10 AM