PG&E Workers Walking the High-Wire Near Pine St. in Martinez

August 7, 2014 15:47 pm · 13 comments

high_wire

Those PG&E workers are high!

Craig Cannon sent us the picture and a brief description of what he saw.

Seen from Hwy, 4 and numerous areas in Martinez, these guys are walking the high wire, just off Pine St. Appears PG&E is replacing isolation coils on this well over 100′ high power tower! What a sight! The high voltage wires hang from the ceramic and other non-conductive coils, to keep the wires from energizing the tower, thus grounding the 500,000 plus volts running through these lines!

Thanks, Craig!

Anybody else see these guys working today?

Those guys earn August 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM

their pay.

Atticus Thraxx August 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Amen

Anonymous August 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM

You gotta love these guys.

dilligafman August 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM

All I can say is- BALLS AS BIG AS CHURCH BELLS!. I wouldn’t do it, hell I get dizzy on a bathroom scale!

Stupid Kid August 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I can’t believe I was stupid (and lived to tell about it) enough to climb one of these in the 80’s. It was a large one off of Wilbur Ave in Antioch that stretches the wires to one of the Islands.
I remember the stairs flexing as you went up and the wind moving the stairs. There were four platforms at the top – The very top platform was incomplete so I went to the 2nd one from the top. Scary Sh1t.
What’s sad is that six months or so after we did that, two 8th graders were camping/ hunting off of one of the Islands – They did the same thing – climbed a large tower, the one kid either rubbed up against or just got to close to the wire and was electrocuted off – the other kid had to go back down and get help for his deceased friend. Awful.

bernie mack August 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I live near where these guys are working .I think there was 4-5 guys up there when I drove by.quite an awesome sight.people where pulling over to check it out.

Schmee August 7, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Free admission? Who needs the circus..?!

Sybil August 7, 2014 at 8:04 PM

High wire acts, isn’t that the guy from Cirque du Soleil?

Cat Wrangler August 7, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Not shocking at all. They are clearly outstanding in their work.

Chris K August 8, 2014 at 3:35 AM

I did, and for several weeks. Took photos of a helicopter lowering in place another top section on one tower on a hill. Adding lines to the top, 8 feet more view obstruction etc.. I know I am no one to talk, and we need power. But it is ( to me ) a sign of recent development in Martinez and our area, more homes, maybe better economy? And more People. Which sucks, but hey, I am here too. But I hate the wires blocking beautiful views and sunsets etc… Just a pet peeve that I know I am a hypocrite about, but we need to draw the line on development in our area and save open space. NOW. It will never come back and I don’t want to be like LA. But you have to admit that is one tough job. But this is depressing to me anyway…

Cowellian August 8, 2014 at 7:17 AM

It looks like they were out standing on their tower.

Sharla August 8, 2014 at 7:35 AM

They are both outstanding.

BandWagon August 8, 2014 at 8:10 AM