PICTURE: Waste Management Truck Overturns on I-680 in Walnut Creek

August 5, 2014 13:16 pm · 13 comments

amee

The driver of a garbage truck is in the hospital after the truck crashed into another vehicle and overturned, snarling traffic in both directions of Interstate-680 in Walnut Creek, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The rollover crash happened as the driver of a Waste Management truck headed south on Highway 680 near the Olympic Boulevard exit, CHP officials said.

It appears that the garbage truck driver was making a lane change when the truck collided with a GMC pickup truck, CHP Officer John Fransen said.

The force of the crash caused the garbage truck to crash through the roadway’s center divider and into northbound lanes, Fransen said.

The driver was taken to a hospital to be treated for his injuries.

No other injuries were reported.

The crash was blocking three southbound lanes and two northbound lanes in the area as of 12:55 p.m., according to Fransen. He said crews hope to have the roadway cleared by 2 p.m.

“Any time we have incidents such as this we ask for patience and to be really cautious because we have so many of us working out here on the freeway,” Fransen said.

Thanks to Amee for the picture!

1 That one guy August 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM

He was trashed fo sho

2 KenInConcord August 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Who remembers the garbage truck that crashed off the Walnut Creek interchange in the 80’s and the driver lived.

A month later after a long recovery, his first day back on the job he crashed a second time off the same overpass and died.

The said it wasn’t Suicide, they think he just freaked out while approaching the same spot.

3 Nikol August 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM

hoping for a speedy recovery

4 Jim's Trixie August 5, 2014 at 1:58 PM

The traffic is backed up to the 680-242 junction. Traffic at a standstill as of 2pm. Hope everyone involved is ok

5 Silva August 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM

#2, What a terrible story! Nope, don’t remember that. I hope this driver’s not too badly hurt.

6 kyle August 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM

@Ken..that was on the temporary overpass and the driver didn’t die..he forced a woman off the overpass and her car fell over 100′ killing her..he was found guilty of vehicular homicide if I remember correctly. ..

7 anon August 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Reminds me of the big rig driver who made an illegal left turn in front fo the SF light rail MUNI train & when interviewed — denied everything..look where you are going & what you are doing………………

8 Jerk August 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM

NOBODY uses turn signals &phckers pass on the right. Not surprised AT ALL.

9 Durwood August 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM

What was a trash truck doing in the left lanes? Why was he even changing into the far left lane? Trucks like that should always be in the right lanes. Even with 2 people they should NOT be in the carpool lane either (there was not one at this spot).

10 Concord Guy August 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I totally agree with Durwood. This truck should be in the far right lane.

11 proud patriot August 6, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I agree w/ durwood and concord guy … also I was stuck in this traffic coming home from San Jose ….

12 Maria August 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Many truck drivers think they are the king of the road….

13 Roger Miller August 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Trailers for sale or rent, rooms to let, fifty cents.
No phone, no pool, no pets, I ain’t got no cigarettes
Ah, but, two hours of pushin’ broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
I’m a man of means by no means, king of the road.

Third boxcar, midnight train, destination, Bangor, Maine.
Old worn out clothes and shoes,
I don’t pay no union dues,
I smoke old stogies I have found short, but not too big around
I’m a man of means by no means, king of the road.

I know every engineer on every train
All of their children, and all of their names
And every handout in every town
And every lock that ain’t locked, when no one’s around.