PICS: The Sad and Heartbreaking State of the Pacheco Cemetery

August 5, 2014 · 36 comments

pacheco1

The Pacheco Cemetery on Blum Rd. in Pacheco was established in 1862, and unfortunately, the condition of the cemetery is quickly deteriorating.

Headstones are broken, and holes can be seen below the markers.

pacheco3

pacheco4

What looks to be an outside crematory can be seen from the road around the cemetery.

pacheco5

Several headstones are only inches away from the road.

pacheco6

And some headstones are completely covered with weeds.

pacheco7

Despite the horrible condition of the grounds, the cemetery is still open.

pacheco2

Some of the famous names buried in the cemetery include the Brubeck family, the City of Concord’s first Mayor (Joseph Boyd), and former California State Controller George Whitman.

This isn’t the first time this cemetery has had problems. Please click ON THIS LINK to view more from the Friends of the Pacheco Cemetery.

1 Loaker August 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I went to the Friends of the Pacheco Cemetery and it is not readily apparent what their purpose is. What do they want to happen and why? They need to keep the website up to date, for instance DeSaulnier is a state senator, not a supervisor.

2 Noj August 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Martinez had a similar problem with the old Alhambra cemetery about 20 years ago. Martinez citizens formed a cemetery clean up twice each year in the spring and again in the fall and got the folks from E Clampus Vitas (“Clampers”) involved too. We are forgetting our history. We don’t teach it in school anymore. We’re screwed.

3 Momo August 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I’ve been told that many cities have a loophole in the laws concerning the care of certain cemeteries, if they classify it as a “pioneer cemetery” it is considered historic so they don’t have to maintain it.

4 Anon August 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM

We need a new tax to fix this up.

5 Mtz resident August 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM

The people at the crematorium said the cemetery is separate from them. It’s politics.

6 Han Solo August 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I seem to recall playing at a cemetery near the clayton valley high school it was on a hill. When I look at that area now its all condos.

So lets build some condos and solve this problem.

7 FORMERCONCORDMOM August 5, 2014 at 10:35 AM

We were looking at properties across the street from the cemetery to move to and opted not to…not because of the fact that there was a cemetery, but because of the physical condition of it! If you believe in ghosts at all then you would have to believe that based on the appearance alone and complete disregard for the final resting place of it’s inhabitants that there had to be some kind of spiritual unrest and we didn’t want any part of that negative vibe! The cemetery is in terrible condition and I would be livid if any of my family members were buried there!!!!

8 nytemuvr August 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I always thought that “crematorium” was the incinerator for the animal shelter.

9 CLAYCORD.com August 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM

@Han Solo, that cemetery is still there. It’s called the Live Oak Cemetery. It’s also in rough shape, but they don’t allow visitors past their iron gates.

10 Shiloh August 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I don’t know about “heartbreaking” – the people who’s bodies are buried there don’t care. It’s neat to walk around old cemeteries reading te headstones, admiring the artwork, looking for the oldest grave, etc. But I’m not sure it’s a great use of current city funds to pay for the maintainance of old cemeteries. These places aren’t bringing in any current revenue. I know I will be called “cold and heartless”, but I believe the souls who’s bodies are buried there are in one of two places . . and neither one is the Pacheco cemetery!

11 Just me August 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

This is very sad! It used to get cleaned up. But as owners have changed over the years it has been left in this state. I know in the past both Girl Scout and Boy Scout troups have done voluntary clean ups there. But I believe the current owner won’t allow anyone near the property to do a clean up. Which is sad as we are not protecting our areas history.

12 Mr. Pink August 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Is this the cemetery that you can see off to the right as you merge onto n/b Hwy 680 from hwy 4?

13 nytemuvr August 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM

@Han Solo #6
We used to go to that cemetery to “park” when I was in high school “back in the day”.

14 @ Shiloh August 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM

It’s about respect for a loved one buried there.
Karma may bite those that don’t care.

15 Cowellian August 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM
16 Abbie R. August 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Living in the Crossings was unusual in 1982-85, the old Cemetery was right next to the Concord Police Shooting Range, We could hear gunshots all day, most of the Neighbors never complained, and the Clubhouse was even used for Wedding Receptions.

17 Fritzhugh Ludlow August 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM

An old cemetery located next to the Sewage Treatment Tanks? I bet people are dying to go there!

18 Gina Ferriera August 5, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I have family there…very sad!

19 anonanonagain August 5, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I love history. It is sad that we don’t take care of the history buried there. Also people that have no respect for themselves or the history buried there use this as a place to get drunk and destroy vintage gravestones is a tragedy. Anyone who does that is one sorry excuse for a human being…..

20 WC August 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Gina #18, get a group together and clean it up.

21 Marissa August 5, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I was just about to say that. Those with family there should get together and clean it! Form an organization to do this.

22 mohairs August 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM

GREAT post Shiloh! and i completely agree. that’s why i prefer to be cremated when the time comes. i don’t want/expect someone to come visit a bunch of bones in the ground after i pass away.

23 Shiloh August 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM

@14, if people have loved ones there and are sad about the state of their graves, they should maintain the grave. I don’t believe in karma :) [ I also wish to be cremated and disposed of, when the time comes. If we had "respect" for the bones of every person who has ever died and been buried, there wouldn't be room for anything else! I'm not saying anyone should be DISrespectful, vandizing graves, etc - just that we can't maintain the grass over people's dead bodies indefinitely. If enough people actually cared about specific individuals buried there it wouldn't look like that ;)]

24 The Mamba August 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM

For about $200,000 and expenses, I’ll quit my job and fix that place up so it looks great.

25 Yhe Phantom August 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM

well, it’s a cemetery (note the proper spelling). So I doubt the “residents” really care about the appearance.

26 @ 23 August 5, 2014 at 3:48 PM

You better start believing in Karma.
What goes around comes around.

27 Tom August 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I think it’s sad and heartbreaking. Out of respect, the cemetery should be kept up. If I had loved ones there, I’d keep it up, regardless of time and cost. It would be well worth it to me.

Whatever happened to common decency?

28 Enfield303 August 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM

@the Mamba

I’d do it for half that.

29 J. August 5, 2014 at 8:10 PM

You should have seen it in late May before they weed whacked it.

30 The Ramones August 5, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Our wishes were followed; None of Us were buried in a Pet Cemetery.

31 Shiloh August 5, 2014 at 10:52 PM

@26, I believe in consequences, not karma.

32 ROZ August 6, 2014 at 6:08 AM

The cemetery is separate from Alta Vista which is there too. We had my mother cremated their may 2013. The folks there are wonderful and their services affordable. Do wish the cemetery was in better condition.
altavistacremation.com

33 Big Al August 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Remember the previous owner who stock piled hundreds of erns and unrefridgerated dead corpes to be cremated. Remember? YUK.

34 S August 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM

The tombstone and all the after life business is purely for the living. The dead doesn’t care if their grave is kept groomed and manicured. Hell by now those bodies are no doubt completely decomposed. Only remains may include possessions buried inside an overpriced casket. Really why? Just burn me and throw my ashes somewhere. Most unselfish thing I feel you could ask is for your happy not to struggle with funeral cost. With that being said, in regards to this article; obviously the living doesn’t care enough(other then to talk about it) and I’m pretty sure the dead isnt offended.

35 S August 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM

*family

36 Anon August 8, 2014 at 3:55 AM

I remember going to the Live Oak Cemetery after school at CVHS, and just reading all the headstones. We would hang out under one of the trees there, and talk. I read that years later, kids and others were going up there to party, and were digging up coffins and grave robbing, along with destroying the headstones and even draping skeletons they dug up all over the place. Disgusting behavior.