Smoking Cessation Classes Offered in Downtown Martinez Beginning Aug. 14

August 3, 2014 12:00 pm · 11 comments

Beginning Aug. 14th, smoking cessation classes will be offered in Downtown Martinez.

Below are the details:

WHAT: Smokers can get help quitting in just seven weeks from Contra Costa Health Services’ Tobacco Cessation Program, which will offer free weekly smoking cessation classes beginning August 14 at the Contra Costa County Administration Building in downtown Martinez.

The classes use the “Freedom from Smoking” curriculum developed by the American Lung Association.

Smokers can also enroll in our ongoing classes at the Pittsburg Health Center.

WHO: These free courses are available to anyone 18 or older who wants to quit smoking.

Space is limited, so please register by calling 1-855-421-3400.

WHEN & WHERE: The new Martinez classes meet 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays (beginning August 14), Contra Costa County Administration Building, 651 Pine Street, Room 101, Martinez.

Pittsburg classes meet 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays, Pittsburg Health Center, 2311 Loveridge Road.

WHY: Tobacco use remains a leading cause of preventable death in the United States. Quitting smoking is the first step to leading a longer, healthier life.

1 Dorothy August 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

This kind of class really do help people to quit smoking. Caveat is that the smoker has to really want to quit and not just because someone else has said they need to. I know this class can help because I have been quit for over 20 years now from taking one of them.

Not trying to discourage anyone who wants to quit. Smokers already know they need to quit and often try. They also know all the reasons why they should. But the addition is powerful and quitting is hard. That’s why the person who is trying to quit has to want to do it.

2 Dorothy August 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Addiction, not addition…

3 TraumaRx August 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Addiction is for the weak minded people.

4 Atticus Thraxx August 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Ironically the only time I have the urge to smoke is when I’m in downtown Martinez.

5 Marissa August 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Sorry Atticus, only designated smoking areas in downtown now.

6 Kek August 3, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Not free. We pay for your mistakes.

7 apollo idol prudence August 4, 2014 at 12:55 AM

no, as a former, nicotine addict, can’t say former, just havent smoked in two and a hal years. Addiction hurts. Breking addiction hurts even more

8 Baby Boomer August 4, 2014 at 8:37 AM

The high price of cigarettes was enough to make me quit, in 1972 the price went up from 40 cents to 45 cents a pack.
I have no idea what they cost today, but in ’72 I really thought 45 cents was too much.

9 StoneyGRL August 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM

baby boomer … they are over $6 a pack now … was just in Alaska where they are $8+ a pack, and in Canada $13 a pack …

I agree TraumaRx … addiction is for the weak minded, and I hate when people call smoking or alcoholics as having a “disease” … it’s not a disease … tell someone with cancer that being an alcoholic is a “disease”.

Quitting is easy, when you want it. I quit cold turkey 2 yrs ago … so glad I did.

F cigarettes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 WCMommy August 5, 2014 at 12:08 AM

So I guess anyone with a job will not be attending? Really 11-1 on a Wednesday or Thursday? Would have been nice if they could offer a couple different times. My husband is trying to quit and he would have gone to this.

11 Green Acres August 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM

WCMommy@ @ 10:
Perhaps your husband could ask to take an extended lunch on one of those days. I have no idea what he does for a living or who he works for, but many companies nowdays are aware of all of the benifits they would reap from an employee who quits smoking. Smoking is hell on the smoker but its horribly unproductive for the smoker’s employer also.

Just a thought…it never hurts to ask.