Claycordian Frustrated with Security at Park-N-Shop on Willow Pass Rd.

July 30, 2014 · 179 comments

park_n_shop

A customer at Park-N-Shop on Willow Pass Rd. in Concord is frustrated with the lack of security in the front of the shopping center, and she wants something done about it.

Here’s her story….

I’m writing this email as a complaint against the security guard who patrols their lot and am hoping you will post this story on Claycord to get the attention so something is done about this problem.

Often times, I see the security guard waiting on the back side of the parking lot FOR HOURS at a time, where there is not much going on for him to be there the whole day.

The only thing I see him doing is leaving yellow tickets on cars threatening to tow them. Considering the ample parking in the parking lot, I don’t believe this security guard was hired to become a meter-maid. Three weeks ago a friend of mine had her car stolen near the shopping center, the week after that a friend of mine had his drivers side car window bashed in, and had personal items stolen from his car IN the parking lot.

In addition, I have been approached by younger people who appear to be gang affiliated and harassed by them. I also have seen shop lifters, homeless people who appear to be drunk or under the influence, sleeping and pan handling and much more things that make me feel unsafe to shop in the shopping center.

My reasons for this email is to express my frustrations with the security guard’s priorities. Instead of focusing on the back side of the lot, why doesn’t the security guard focus on the side of the shopping center, which receives much more traffic.

If we have an active security guard on duty who is doing his job, I would feel much safer and more comfortable to shop in the shopping center.

I constantly shop at Frys, Starbucks, 99 Ranch Market and The Sunrise Bagel Shop. I have my nails done, and often times I go to Burlington Coat Factory as well. If the security services don’t straighten this issue out, all of these businesses will lose my continued business. There no use for a security guard who doesn’t have his priorities straight.

Claycordians, do you shop in Park-N-Shop? What’s your opinion on the security?

1 Jovan Lopez July 30, 2014 at 2:03 PM

That whole place sucks, I don’t like getting a Starbucks with some homeless staring at me when I come out. And fries electronics shelves are dusty. I’ll just walk away….

2 Dwight Schrute July 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Question: Why do you keep shopping there?

Answer: You should not shop there any longer.

You are welcome

3 BagsFlyFree July 30, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Park n Shop businesses should require mixed foot/vehicle patrols like Crescent Plaza has in PH.. The property is big enough for two fully staffed security officers to manage both lots and boot out squatters.

BFF Out!

4 Anon July 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I hear you loud and clear and agree Park N Shop has really gone down hill. I stopped in at Chicks donuts and once out of my car I couldn’t believe how dirty the area was. Discusting overflowing trash bins, overturned newpaper stands and filthy pavement. The owner needs to step up if they want my business. I was at downtown Pleasant Hill (Sweet Tomatoes area) and was so impressed how beautiful the area is. Come on Concord improve our image.

5 Anonymous July 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I, personally, have never had an issue with security there. However, I don’t shop there because the parking is awful.

6 Ronald Rayguns July 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM

They should hire the Security Company that Countrywood Center in Walnut Creek uses…..Yesterday the foreigner “family” was begging at the front doors of Safeway….Today: a Security Guard is at the front area, and no Professional beggers to be seen!..

7 Dorothy July 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Maybe find out who actually pays the guards and make a complaint to their employer? I seldom go there anymore so didn’t even know there were guards around somewhere.

8 frank July 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Completely agree. Got a ticket here for having an expired license plate sticker which literally was in the mail when I got home. What is this guy doing checking out the month my tags expire, particularly if it just happened?
Shouldn’t he be looking for crooks, or panhandlers, or stopping the guy who lets his dog take a dump next to his truck?

9 just a concordian July 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Time for the Mayor to flex his (her?) mayoral muscles.

10 tired of taxes July 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Security stationed at the Fry’s Park and Shop complex are glorified meter maids. They can’t carry guns or legally detain anyone, much less tussle with the riff-raff plaguing the parking lots.

Same thing with the building security where I work. They are told by building management not to engage in criminal even if caught red-handed in illicit activity. Instead they should call 911 or the cops but continue observation out of harms way.

Unless you’re a cop (or a gun-toting/machete wielding Claycordian) do not engage the criminals.
Best suggestion is from Dwight Schrute @2. I miss The Office.

11 Killjoy July 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM

It sounds as if they have the same security guards as over at The Willows.
Pretty much useless.

12 Bob the Repairman July 30, 2014 at 2:56 PM

As stated before, DON’T SHOP THERE! Let the business know your concern.
There are others business ceenters that are much nicer and have the same type of stores.

13 Dave July 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM

A recent episode of Drugs, Inc on the NatGeo channel, was an episode featuring the drug trade in Oakland. The episode followed Alameda County Narc task force purchasing undercover a large amount of meth from a high level dealer at a strip mall in Oakland, known for high drug activity.. The good, the strip mall was said to be in Oakland, the bad it was clearly park n shop (Concord was not mentioned) but from the background shots of Frys and the park N shop sign, and they followed the dealer ion to highway 242 by Chili’s and over the hill to Bay Point.

14 been there done that July 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM

This is so sad.

This is a great mall with hard working people.

We need to go in and buy a donut, newspaper, hamburger, shrimp and then complain. Watch what is going on. This is how ghettos become ghettos and no one knows why.

This is a community not a B!?#$^ fest.

15 Shelly July 30, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Funny, I’ve never seen a guard. If there’s one guard for that big of a place, they would be pretty ineffectual.

16 Walnut Creek Oldtimer July 30, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I used to go to JoAnn’s Fabric shop in Park-N-Shop but it is not safe anymore. Nice that Hobby Lobby opened and they have a great fabric section.

17 PhilthyPHRESH July 30, 2014 at 3:07 PM

LOL, when did this become a problem, the contractor employing those guards has not had any issues to date…..

18 RealityCheck July 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM

What a hilarious OP.
**Reality Check!!**
Park-N-Shop is a dump, frequented by all kinds of lowlife trash.
This is like saying you are shocked- SHOCKED!- to find gangs in Compton.
If you shop there, you deserve what you get and are part of the problem.
As for any decent folks out there….
Do
Not
Shop
There.

19 Joe blow July 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Tell your dumb friend not to place her valuables in plain site next. Common sense…

20 Dwight Schrute July 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM

@tired of taxes

I think I will go milk my horse now.

21 I'm The Urban Spaceman July 30, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Oak Grove Plaza has a full time maintenance crew that keeps the trash emptied, & the trash cans clean. A very nice place to shop.
Now if only Morucci’s would move into Bentolino’s soon to be vacated shop.

22 aj buttacavoli July 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I recently began going to this center but gave up after a number of trips because of how utterly disgusting the place is. Aside from being absolutely filthy, the entire complex is horribly managed as if the owners could care less. The entire enterprise is a black eye on Concord and the city should do something about it.

23 Park n Shop July 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Yes, the security is a problem and has been for many years. Since the homeless shelter moved in around the corner you can’t go to Starbucks without passing through the gauntlet of the begging. Trash around the whole place is awful too. To just say “don’t shop there” is ridiculous and is just ignoring a problem that without attention like this on Claycord, will spread to other malls, and eventually there will be no place safe and clean in Concord. So here’s some advice. Demand action. Contact the property management company – (Contra Costa Properties 925-687-0111), contact city hall, tell business owners there that they need to get involved as well if they want your continued support.

Or, do nothing, and let the homeless dictate where you can and cannot go.

24 TraumaRx July 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Sounds like you fit right in. Well you do shop there right? Sounds like ur a product of ur own environment. Get over it!

25 RANDOM TASK July 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM

well as we all know the council has stated that the downtown area is their main focus since every other city has a downtown focus and not a whole city approach ( that’s why the bums are all on monument and clayton rd and treat blvd). So it would be a obvious choice that the council and its buddies who own said willowpass area have not seen fit to assure shopping for the people coming from outer city it is for downtown apartment dwellers and gang affiliates who seem to have lots of free money to spend …you see where this is going …yes your tax money is being directed to those gang memebers and their families by the very cronies you elected so by complaining about it you are directing your point to deaf ears they get your money anyways……….enjoy your day

26 Not so fast Ronald Raguns July 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Countrywood’s security is the worst. The guy sits on a bench talking and laughing with employees and drinks coffee all day. Doesn’t spot dogs or kids in cars in the hot sun either.
The employees have been known to smoke pot behind the store area and he probably does too. WORTHLESS!!!!!!
Paid to drink Starbucks and most likely gets it free..
I watched one guy in a t shirt with “security” written on it:walk out with a carry basket full of groceries and put the whole thing in his trunk and drive off as the real security guy just sat that spaced out!

27 TraumaRx July 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM

And….if you had any class you would shop and get ur nails done elsewhere.

28 Dee July 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Have to chuckle at the one remark about the security there doing nothing but putting yellow stickers on cars and threatening t have them towed. Well let me tell you THAT IS their main purpose there. Used to work in that area and trust me with all the extra parking they have there they will watch to see where you go. That place is the most unfriendly business area ever since Fry’s moved in there and the security is worthless just like poster mentioned. I get irritated when the husband goes into Fry’s there and for the rest of the place well you can keep it as it is a pit.

29 Me July 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I remember when Park N Shop was decent, and I never felt at risk being there. Today is a different story. How’s that multi culturalism working out? In the computer industry we call it “garbage in, garbage out”, meaning in a nutshell, you reap what you sow.

30 I avoid that place July 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM

like the Ebola plague.

31 slagheap July 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM

i see the so-called security patrol there daily – the one i always see is a male in that white mini-suv or whatever and your surmise is correct- he is employed to manage parking.

32 How come? July 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM

How do you know he is not specifically employed to watch that back lot? Even though a shopping center may appear to be owned by one person, there are often parts of it or outlying buildings that belong to other owners, you can ask any of the businesses you frequent, who their property manager is and contact them directly, and or voice your concerns to the businesses directly since a loss of a customer impacts them the most

33 Rob July 30, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Well, first, we need to find out what the Security Guard was hired to do – do they want him handing out tow warnings or doing more? I would assume more but the employer can then fire him or her if they are not doing what they are hired to do.

Next – rarely does an employer want a Security Guard doing anything other then calling police if they see something happening – the sure don’t want that private Security Guard to get into a scuffle with bad guys or trying to stop them from stealing a car etc.. due to the liability and let’s be honest – they also do not want to provide the type of training to do anything else other than call the police.

34 VikingPrincess July 30, 2014 at 4:13 PM

That mall area makes Odin’s taint hairs look 24kt gold and smell fresh as a spring morning.
Used to be a comedy club there eons ago. After the bookstore closed it turned into a gnome pit.
I share similar thoughts with posters here and with exception to Fry’s and the Joannes Fabric – the rest can be replaced to a better shopping mall.
They need to gut it out and fix it up….a shame, really.
Unless you truly live in that area, see if you can support businesses closer to you. If it is in your area and you really feel like this is the place for you and insist – write a letter to the owner, better business and go to city meetings to voice your concern.
As for me…I steer clear of that place as much as possible.

35 ConcordGal July 30, 2014 at 4:13 PM

It probably because he’s a lazy piece of crap with a huge ego just because he wears a plastic badge that Is just there for a paycheck!!He hides on the side of the bulding so he doesnt have to deal with the real issues of being a sexurity guard!!! I dont shop there anymore because of the issues….just sayin!

36 steelbill July 30, 2014 at 4:13 PM

suck it up Franko, Next time get ur tabs before they expire,so then You wont have to look around for down& ousters barely alive,for Y

37 Abbie R. July 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I’m just glad King Norman never had to see this.

38 laura July 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I always see the security guard drinking and having refills of soda at Mcdonalds and Burger King

39 Fritzhugh Ludlow July 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM

The Eastern End on Park n Shop sits atop the Concord Fault Zone, a reason I quit shopping there soon after Woolworth’s closed it’s tropical aquarium Fish Department.

40 BagsFlyFree July 30, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Park n Shop needs to demo the complete back of the complex that faces Auto Row, as that side is probably the most underutilized waste of prime small commercial real estate in Concord. If they gutted out Burlington and Joanne’s, you’d have a huge courtyard space that could offer a water feature, small boutique shopping, and some upscale elements the whole center lacks.

BFF Out!

41 Thinking out side the box!! July 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM

For those of you that have nothing but something negative to say about that was written. Some of these people work in the area so YES, they are going to park there cars in the aria. Why should we have to stop parking in an aria that is “supposed to be” safe and giving out tickets to customers that have a sticker that is in the mail???… Isn’t that a police mans job?.. If there is a security guard that is getting paid, aren’t they are supposed to me making sure the area is safe, homeless people are not pan handling people when you are trying to have a nice lunch or even a morning coffee?.. Come on people he is NOT doing his job and I am sure that the person who wrote this has already contacted the property owners. She or he was trying to make other people aware of what has happen, and who knows they could have already started to boycott this aria. But for the people that have to park by there because of there jobs, I don’t feel that they should have to worry about there car getting stolen or broken into!

42 Confused July 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I see multiple security gusrds ( male & female) out front all the time. Don’t know where this persons observations are comimg from.

43 Concerned citizen July 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I shop at Park N Shop. There are 3 guards there each day for different shifts. Is it impossible for 1 guard to be able to patrol the whole thing by themselves. The homeless come from the shelter right around the corner. I think the person that wrote this article is not being real. It sounds to me like she has had an encounter with this guard and it may not have gone her way. The day guard is one of the most dedicated ones that work at park n shop. The store people love him because he is very responsive as I have experienced in the past. I kept reading this article and the more I read it, the more is sounds like sour grapes. Sorry Shadia.

44 Why Shop There? July 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I completely agree that the behavior you described by all parties is unacceptable, but why bother to shop there then?Heck, why bother to shop or spend time in Concord at all? That is just considered acceptable behavior there now.

Frank, what agency was listed at the top of your ticket?

45 Tom July 30, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I don’t shop there, but if I did, I’d take my business elsewhere.

To say “don’t shop there” is ridiculous. Well, it’s not. Whenever you’re unhappy, take your money elsewhere. It’s common sense and good business sense.

You shouldn’t have to, but you can’t dictate how someone else does business, including security. You can shop where you want, and quit worrying about it.

46 WHO CARES? July 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Do you know that ParkNShop opened almost 60 years ago?

47 SS July 30, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Has any one watched the show on (natgo)channel drug ink, they did a show on oakland and in one part they were watching a drug dealer, and if u notice they are in the park in shop parking lot, so it’s also a hot bed for drug activity.

48 Teacher Wannabe July 30, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Shop there a lot (the wife and I); Joann’s, Burlington, Starbucks, 99cent store, etc. Rarely have problems and I see security moving around a lot. Homeless ask for change, if I say no they leace me alone, no harassment. If you don’t like it, move on. The only issue I have is parking and crazy drivers.

49 Scared July 30, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I used to work in the surrounding area of Park N Shop, and I used to frequent a lot of the restaurants and get my nails done on my lunch breaks. This “security guard” knew that I used to work in the area, and did as much as he could to drive me out of the shopping center- in fear of me parking my car in the parking lot while I was at work. I constantly received these “yellow warning tickets” on my windshield. On my lunch breaks I would walk into the shopping center to get lunch. He would follow closely behind me in his car, and watch me walk into establishments and out of them. Seeing as I am a younger female- this used to creep me out so much, because not once did I feel he was watching me for my safety. I informed my company about him following me, and we called and complained to the company that employs him. I don’t think much was done, seeing as he continued to do it.

This man is not there to enforce safety, and drive crime out of the shopping center.

50 SpankyFortuna July 30, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I think PNS should be torn up and redeveloped.

51 natrunz July 30, 2014 at 4:46 PM

My bicycle was stolen from there while I was shopping. Good to know the Security guard is always parked in the back doing who knows what.

52 SpankyFortuna July 30, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Park N Shop opened almost 60 years ago!

53 Walnut Creek Resident July 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I am happy to know about all of this. I thought the area looked kind of crummy and now that I know there is no security to speak of I am (almost) crossing that place off my list!!! Except for Ranch Market but even then I will not go alone. I might have to go to Frys too but not alone, and I will park out front like I always do. I must admit I never had a problem there but it only takes one time to have a bad experience and I am not willing to risk my life or property.

54 FED UP July 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I work across the street from the Park N Shop. All of us that work here use the business’s over there often however we are not allowed to park on the lot even though there is tremendous amounts of parking spaces on the back side of the lot (which is where we would park). We have to park far away on the side streets and that is where our cars are broken into and stolen. We have called the property manager numerous times and asked if we can please park on the lot and the answer is always no. It is not a clean or safe lot however we would feel safer if we could see our vehicles while we are at work.
We have also had run in’s with security. They actually stop us while we are walking to our cars and ask if we are parked on the lot and often follow us to our cars. This has left us feeling very uncomfortable. I agree with whoever wrote the letter above. Wouldn’t it be better if they patrolled the front of the park n shop where all the action happens rather than harass those of us who are just trying to make an honest living and also give back to the community by shopping where we work.

55 KenInConcord July 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Bet that air condition feels good sitting there in the lot.

56 inmotion July 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Park-n-Shop will be the targeted with the first nuke.

57 Disgusted July 30, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Since Fry’s moved in…Park n Shop could care less that cars are being vandalized and stolen. Customers are getting harrassed by the homeless drunk people loiterning. There is trash every where. The only reason they hired Gaurdian Security is to harrass and intimidate any one that parks on the lot. I came out of Brighter Detnal to find Gaurdian stalking me. Even though there is ample space. Most of the time the lot is totally empty. It’s creepy and disgusting!

58 wow July 30, 2014 at 5:07 PM

The security in that place is ridiculous. Why would someone’s registration on their car be an issue to them what-so-ever? That is CPD’s job. As for everything else that was mentioned in this post, I agree 100%. This place has awesome places to shop at, but is incredibly unsafe. Security needs to change their focus to something more important.

59 Julio July 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Have the property managers ever heard of power washing the place, sidewalks etc? Garbage in garbage out! You got it!

60 Anon July 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Welcome to the ghetto. That shopping center has been trashy for years.

61 natrunz July 30, 2014 at 5:31 PM

@concerned citizen
You must shop there a whole lot. 3 guards, several shifts and happy store owners… just saying… That’s a lot of insight for a shopper.

62 carebear July 30, 2014 at 5:39 PM

The security company is guardin which is behind the bank of america on willowpass. The problem with security are several. I think they need to be better trained and armed. One of the main problems with security is this. Companies dont care to properly train the guards but instead they are just a warm body and a false since of security. Security guards can Carry exposed firearms with the correct permits, but does not mean they know how to ” run their gun” due to lack of training by the company and the state. Security guards can make an arrest just like you as a normal civilian can on another

One of the worst was formally known as proactive security services.
person. There is not a security company in the area that properly trains their guards. If they say they do is bs.

63 Atticus Thraxx July 30, 2014 at 5:39 PM

“Woolworth’s closed it’s tropical aquarium Fish Department.”
I too mourn that very sad day. Different Woolworth’s but the pain is the same.

64 @ Confused July 30, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Do you not see the picture on the top of the page??

65 Lizzie July 30, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Hmmm…is Gloria still working there as security? The one with the beehived hairdo? All I have ever seen her do is sit in her little security car and buzz around. Have also seen her in Burger King a few times…As far as the homeless go, well, just don’t give them money and go about your business. I know at one point the security was supposed to keep the riff raff from hanging out in front of Las Montanas market next to the 99 cent store…

66 The Mamba July 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM

No, I do not shop at that hellhole.

67 securitymasterbater July 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM

The pervert security was jerking off in the back lot that’s what hes doing I saw him today when I went to confront him after reading this article but once I saw what he was up to I ran as fast and as far away as I could from him!

68 Anastasia July 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I can understand how this can be frustrating, the only place I ever go in park n shop is Starbucks, and I appreciate how Starbucks has taken action as far as to putting locks on the bathroom doors in efforts to keep the homeless people from coming in, and loitering, but they can only do so much. Maybe new security guards need to be hired to help businesses in that area keep a safer, and more enjoyable place for people to come to.

69 I applaud this post July 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I’ve been waiting for somebody to address this issue. Guardian Security will definitely be receiving a letter from me!!

70 Zack July 30, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I totally get your frustration. The main issue is Park N’ Shop is a total dump. End of story. That is a daytime only shopping center if it is absolutely necessary to go there. Even in the daytime you get a bad vibe. The security guards they have are a reflection of the shopping center. Expecting a professional guard to work in that shopping center would be like going to K-Mart expecting it to be Neiman Marcus.

I know there isn’t another Fry’s nearby, but plenty of places price match online competitor electronics prices from amazon, Frys. I would probably opt to order online form them instead of the risks of leaving a car in that lot!

71 Concerned citizen July 30, 2014 at 5:52 PM

To Thinking outside the box and everyone that wrote comments about the ability to park there if u work in the area…now we are getting down to the real issue! You must work for one of the dealerships across the street from the shopping center. It is NOT LEGAL for you guys to park at park n shop. Part of the security’s job is to keep you guys out. Park N Shop is private property and parking is for customers only, you are breaking the law just like the homeless people you are complaining about. If you insist on parking there for 8 hrs per day, whatever happens to your car is your responsibility, not park n shop’s. Why don’t you just park somewhere lawfully and leave the guard to deal with the cornucopia of other issues that plague this shopping center. I cannot believe that you are willing to jeopardize a hard working person’s job because of where you want to park your car. How selfish, shallow and self centered can you be Shadia?

72 #41 July 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM

It’s AREA not aria!!!!!!

73 OY July 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Only reason to go to ParknShop is to get bagels.

74 Kevin July 30, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Here is the issue…20+ different owners of those buildings in Park and Shop who don’t work together to provide a clean and safe environment to shop. The city forced them to do façade improvements and look how long that has taken…

Maybe once Harvest Church opens something will change, although the chance of that happening is LOW!

75 james July 30, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Whoever originally posted this post mentioned nothing about the parking situation.

76 @ Concerned Citizen July 30, 2014 at 6:35 PM

It sounds like you have much more insite than being a “concerned citizen” perhaps a disgruntled employee? Nonetheless, please don’t change the focus on the issue that was originally addressed.

77 Teacher Wannabe July 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM

@@Confused #64. One time, does not constitute a regular beat. Now if someone posted multiple pix from different days showing the same routine…

78 kax July 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM

we don’t shop there anymore….too run down and too many janky people…

79 Julio July 30, 2014 at 6:50 PM

All security guards should be educated and armed. No point in security guards like they have there. Every town has them though because landlords don’t care about anything but money.

80 AWESOME DAD July 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Park and shop has at least two great little places to eat — the Vietnamese Pho place right near Fry’s, and the Mediterranean place near McDonald’s. It would be a shame if honest places like those can’t thrive in a large shopping center which is well-located in the center of a decent middle class town.

81 frank July 30, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Yep, it was the security company that gave me the ticket. I checked with the Concord PD.

And everybody knows that that part of town, along with the Monument corridor, is strictly a mow and blow area – no water is ever used to clean the roads or parking lots. (Have you taken a look at the road and curbs along Monument? The city stopped maintaining them in 1950.)

82 Tangent July 30, 2014 at 7:14 PM

As far as a homeless problem, as out on Clayton Road where the “Twelve” would hang out. There is a commonality, recycling facility within a half mile.

In an effort to get more dollars out of us created the redemption value (TAX). In hopes majority of us would never redeem the containers and they could keep the money.

State legislature created a competing alternative to private and government programs designed to help the homeless. They made the problem worse.
Move a recycling center and the homeless move. CPD and City council take note.

83 Disgusted July 30, 2014 at 7:16 PM

At Concerned Citizen…you are obviously not paying attention! Most of the people working at those Dealerships are customers at Park n Shop (daily). You should be ashamed of yourself! If they are customers…it is LEGAL for them to park there and not be harassed, stalked and followed! You may think you’re cute by repeatedly naming someone in your responses…just proves how ignorant you are! You know she’s right that’s why you’re soo upset. Maybe you should read all the other posts and try to do something positive to correct the situation. Do you really want all those people to stop shopping at Park n Shop?

84 wife of ex security guard July 30, 2014 at 7:21 PM

The problem is that the security guard company that is contracted by park n shop only pays the security guards $9 an hour. On top of it they deduct fees for uniform rental. They are a pretty unprofessional company that does not pay adequately for the jobs they are contracted to do. I wouldnt approach shady people or gang membera fpr $9 an hour, so I dont blame that security guard. My husband between jobs worked for the company. They wanted him to commute from concord to richmond, guard pge in the iron yriangle neighborhood on a graveyard shift to make $9 an hour. Needless to say he quit for a better paying job. Guardian security is a joke.

85 ZuZupetals July 30, 2014 at 7:38 PM

My girlfriend had her purse PULLED from her last year in front of the bagel shop last year. I don’t shop there anymore.

86 Antler July 30, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Concerned Citizen at #43 and #71 …… Yep!

The article reads like a bad example of the “Hystrionic Helpless Housewife” columns from a while back.

I have never had a problem when parked in front of Fry’s, probably because there IS a lot of traffic….both people and vehicles… there. And it is quite understandable that one security guard would be posted on the back side of that building, as it cannot be seen from any windows…thus placing employees’ vehicles and people going to and from cars back there potentially in more danger.

The sidewalks are dirty at Park and Shop, and they do need pressure washing. So do the sidewalks downtown in and around Todos Santos Plaza! The Brenden family was kind enough to pay to have that done a few years ago, and it really looked nice.

Problems with one particular business’s parking lot security? Contact their security guard just INSIDE the store door and also file a written complaint at the customer service desk. Problems with one particular parking lot security guard? Then go even further and contact the security company for whom he works.

But please spare us the insinuations and whining!

87 RANDOM TASK July 30, 2014 at 7:55 PM

well if there is lots of parking then what is the big deal they are neighbors and should be neighborly and state as long as park and shop remains low life and has few customers and lots of parking spaces then you should be able to park there and at least make it look busy………..feed your brain ……..its the only one you got

88 coni July 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Whats up with the concerned citizen? What exactly are you concerned with? Looks to me like you work at “Guardian Security” you seem to know a lot about the shifts and daily routine of “Guardian Security” are you not in the least bit concerned about a young woman trying to find a safe place to park while she is AT WORK. This is just another example of what a terrible attitude “Guardian Security” has shown its community and neighbors, treating people as if they are a bad person because they are trying to keep themselves and their property safe. I speak from experience I have worked across the street from this park and shop for 12 years and this has been the attitude for years and it is has only gotten worse. Since you seem to know so much about this problem and you suggest she “Park some where legal” then you must be aware that all of the connecting streets in this area have been marked for 2 hour parking and there are no meters so to “Park some where legal” would mean walking miles from the nearest parking garage in all different weather and at all hours. Have you ever heard the phrase “People in glass houses should not cast stones”? I believe the last time I checked “Guardian security” parks there cars in the Bank of America “Customer Only” parking garage. It must be nice to have another business in the community negotiate safe parking for your cars. Also you failed to mention we are talking about the empty parking lot on market street where 1% of the customers park when shopping at this “Park and shop” How is the security supposed to do a good job when you state yourself that “Part of the Security’s job is to keep you out of the parking lot”
Are you aware of the revenue these dealerships bring to the community? Do you know that these employees shop morning noon and night at this park and shop? I feel for the shop owners, how awful to work so hard to bring in customers when there security company is working so hard to keep so many customers out. I park my car legally and I walk because that is what has to be done, I work at a wonderful dealership and they would love to negotiate a parking arrangement just like the one “Guardian security” was able to work out with Bank of America but “Guardian security” is ran by some seriously angry beavers and work very hard at being rude and down right creepy. I will continue to patronize the stores at the park and shop because there are some pretty wonderful people there trying to make a living just like me, Ill walk right in and leave my car parked “Some where legal” because it is not the shop keepers fault that the security would rather have us all disappear…. then you could continue to sit in your cars and read your newspapers and listen to the radio as I have seen every day on my walk to work.

Feel free to respond with your nastiness, as you have the freedom to do so. “GOD BLESS AMERICA”

PS: The security IS real bad too.

Coni

89 Disgusted July 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Amen Coni! The community needs to support each other! Seems like it’s one sided.

90 Off Topic July 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM

@Abbey…..King Norman prompted a great memory. In the late 50’s I was on the King Norman TV show in the ‘Hearts Desire’ segment and received a parakeet and cage. On topic>>>> owning a retail business is tough. You need to put pressure on the property owner assure the shopping center is safe and attractive. Considering the locale it is an understandable challenge. But if businesses fail and stores become vacant the property owners will also lose.

91 Disgusted July 30, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Why are you reading all this if you want to be spared the all the ‘whining’? All of the things you mentioned have been done! If you don’t know what you’re talking about …keep your Nasty comments to yourself

92 Concerned citizen July 30, 2014 at 8:57 PM

To Coni and other people (or person) that posted after my last post. I am not at least bit angry at anyone, as a matter of fact I do not know any of you, so how can I be angry with you? The reason why I responded as I did is because, unlike many of you, I speak to the security guard daily when I get my coffee. I work in the area and do not park at park n shop because I was told that it is private property and it is for customers. There is a big difference between parking there while being a patron and parking there for 8 hrs+ per day….I can tell the difference, can’t you? I simply stated that someone harping over and over about parking spaces and blaming the guard for the homeless problems just because they cannot park at park n shop, is immature and selfish. I honestly do not see nastiness in my remarks. As stated before, I speak to this man every day and a couple of times, I have seen him deal with the people at park n shop that were not desirable patrons. He does a good job, or at least, as good of a job as 1 person can do by himself in that place. I felt bad for him after reading all these posts because he does what the job requires of him and as usual in this country, that is not appreciated as people fight for everything for their own selfish reasons. Now if you were to suggest more guards during the day and night, I could see the reasoning behind the article and some of the posts made here by the same person over and over. But the brutal frontal attack on this guard is cowardly and ignorant. Let’s take the BMW dealership across the street, would they be happy to have an employee that is so petty that they attack someone’s character just because of where they want to park their car? Mind you they are asking someone to let them park in their private property just because it is close to their work. Like I said, very selfish and ignorant.

93 Nickt July 30, 2014 at 9:03 PM

They use guardian security. They make like 8 an hour. They need a better security company.

94 Silva July 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I’m wondering why anyone would expect Park ‘n Shop to provide them with free parking for hours as they worked at a business somewhere else? That doesn’t make any sense, even if you do go buy a sandwich on your break. Who would feel entitled to park for free in a private parking lot? Why doesn’t your employer provide you with parking? Not enough space? How is that Park ‘n Shop’s problem? Crazy.

Park ‘n Shop is filthy and disgusting, and I’d never be seen there either if not for some of my favorite stores being there. I always have to wash my hands when I get back. well, I always wash my hands whenever I get back from anywhere. And then I wash them some more.

95 Names July 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM

A huge amount of unprofessionalism is being displayed on behalf of Contra Costa Properties and Guardian Security with how they are mentioning a young woman’s name on their replies attempting to defend their securities focus and intentions. The issue that was brought up was SAFETY. THAT IS IT. And I agree with her 100%. This young woman wants to make sure it’s safe to walk to her car at night. Since when does being concerned about whether or not its safe to walk to your car at night considered shallow or self centered.

96 Reality Slap July 30, 2014 at 9:31 PM

The people employed as Security Guards are advised by their employers to observe and report, write parking violations and have those vehicles in violation of the existing signage towed; to do any more is outside the scope of their authority and invites litigation.

97 Smiley Holmes July 30, 2014 at 9:36 PM

@ 84 “wife of ex security guard”: You hit the nail right on the head. Guardian pays their employees horribly ($9/hr is the most any employee I talked to earned) and have you scheduled to work hours many companies will compensate you double, often triple-time, to put your bodies through. Only the most vigilant person is going to put themselves at any serious risk for $9/hr.

98 Marianne July 30, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Have you ever seen anything so filthy? You would probably catch a disease just using the bathroom there! Tear it down!

99 anon July 30, 2014 at 9:58 PM

“They can’t carry guns or legally detain anyone”
********* if the company wants them to –they can

“I’m reading a true crime book written in 1987. This book claims that “2/3 of the people who get jobs as security guards have a criminal record.” I’m sure it’s even higher these days.”
********* Total BS – they get fingerprinted & criminal history is run

“Hmmm…is Gloria still working there as security? ”
*********** we called her Elvira – like the TV show girl

100 Concerned citizen July 30, 2014 at 10:04 PM

@ names, I do not work for park n shop or for contra costa properties. I am the only person defending this guard from these posts so I am assuming you mean me. As I mentioned before, I speak with him every day and I know what he has to do everyday. If safety is the real issue, then why the brutal attach on the guard? If safety is the real issue, then why not ask the employer to provide you with a parking space? If safety is the real issue, why question the way the guard is doing his job according to a private company’s specifications? I am 100% sure that parking is the issue, not safety. I practice law and I have a question for you: how do you know the name mentioned belongs to a young woman?

101 Names July 30, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Why dont you answer the same question? How do you know her name?

102 Richard Harp July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Park n Shop has some decent stores but the parking is absolutely terrible and the whole place just has a run down seedy vibe to it. I don’t shop there as much as I used to. It needs some urban renewal!

103 Meemo July 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM

The parking lot is poorly planned out for traffic and parking. Pot smokers smoke out back, idiots drive trashy cars poorly in the lot, and there is definitely a share of scuzzy people staggering around out front of the stores. I like some of the stores a lot for bargains and for just good, hardworking people. But the security stinks They need a nice, big security guard who actually moves around front and back, and who talks to the wanderers and gets to know them. They may be harmless, and they will certainly be more harmless if he or she gets to know them. Also, there would be no graffiti on the site if there were decent night security. The management of that site needs to wake up.

104 Coni July 30, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Concerned citizen thank you for your response. I also have spoken to the guard I think you are referring to and also found him to be a nice person. I wont go into what he told me about the parking or safety issues as I also do not wish to jeopardize anyones job. I don’t think anyone is attacking anyone personally. I think the city could step up and do try to do something about the issue maybe someone will see that there is a need for assistance in making park and shop a safe and clean place to shop and provide the businesses in this area a safe public parking area I don’t think any one here is asking for anything out of the ordinary. I also know for a fact that the young lady who you have called shallow and self centered is also a good person and it really does not help anything for you to judge anyone like that from one article. Everyone is entitled to there opinion and forums like this are created to get people talking and possibly make a change for the better. There are so many wonderful things and people in every country just as much as there is bad.

105 county employee July 30, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I have seen sketchy people at Park n Shop every time I have been there. I know they are there, so I keep my guard up. I haven’t had any problems. I realize that I’m not shopping at Broadway Plaza and it’s fine.

106 furian July 30, 2014 at 10:49 PM

This thread is almost as fun as the politics section!

107 ken July 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM

As an owner of a Private Security Company I can tell you the problem is that the Property owners just want security for the cheapest bill rate. They don’t care who they hire as long as the security company can provide a warm body to the site.

I am employed and my company is doing ok, but I deal with high end stores that value security. I hire the best possible and pay the highest I can, I want the best. My bill rate starts at $30 hr and I pay $15 – $25 hr. I don’t hire just any warm body.

108 Coni July 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

um… concerned citizen it sates “Here is her story”
By the way how do you know her name…. You really should take a nap.

109 alex July 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Security guards are paid 8 or 9 dollar an hour. If you think they are gona risk their safety for that money you must be out of your mind. Even if you get robbed and security is close they will NOT help you.

110 Scary July 30, 2014 at 11:45 PM

THERE ARE TOOOOO MANY HOMELESS AND MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE HANGING OUT AT PARK ‘N SHOP. IT IS NOT A COMFORTABLE PLACE FOR WOMEN TO SHOP INCLUDING MYSELF. YES I’M YELLING.

111 Broke in Colony Park July 31, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I’ve never had a problem. I like the pho, Mexican food, doughnuts, Mediterranean, and other food shops. Ranch 99 is a gem of a store. Not sure where all the negativity is coming from

112 Former Employee of Guardian Security July 31, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Yes, I was once an officer at Guardian Security. No, they don’t hire for intelligence. They want warm bodies who do what they are told to do. They’ll pay you $9/hour (starting rate, but understand, you ain’t gonna make more than $11/hour, EVER). But they do GIVE you like .50/hour for your uniform (for cleaning) on top of your wage.

Does Guardian charge for the uniform? Yes. And if you return the uniform when you stop working for Guardian, you get that money back.

The problem is not necessarily with Guardian – it’s with CHEAP STATE owners who don’t want to pay for ADEQUATE security. Park’n’shop’s owner won’t allocate enough money to the budget to afford enough officers to sufficiently patrol that property. Not to mention that ATROCIOUS excuse for a security guard (the beehived useless b*tch) – Guardian INHERITED her with the property. They were informed when they bid for the contract that she came with the property as a package deal. She’s useless and dumber than a mud puddle.

While they aren’t perfect, Guardian Security is not the worst outfit to work for. Yes, they need to update their wage practices, but that won’t happen until property owners starr pony in up real cash to have their properties adequately staffed.

113 Stupid July 31, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Lol @ “yes I’m yelling!!”

Me too!! It’s time to make a change! The security guards are not meter maids!!

114 funny man July 31, 2014 at 1:57 AM

time to start a petition, whos with me! Time to raiz park n rob.
We can get a vote on the ballot, subsize Chicks move as a historical business with the best donuts in the Greater Tri-Clayocrd metroplex and bulldoze the rest of the place.
i mean what did ya expect from a place with mutliple dollar/discount stores, FPWT cell fone stores, low-brow ethnic food stores and crappy lowest-denominatior junk fast food outlets.

115 Bagel Boy July 31, 2014 at 2:36 AM

I had been a frequent customer of Sunrise Bagels but the parking in the small lot in front of Sunrise Bagels, the Phone Store and the other restaraunt is always full despite the 20 minute parking restrictions. Many of these spaces are taken by employees of these three businesses. What ever happened to the employees parking further away to save those spaces for paying customers?

116 Detroit Ave. Representative July 31, 2014 at 4:54 AM

My immediate thought response was “Wow! This person must have a great amount of time in her hands to be able to investigate at such manner!Must be nice!” Isn’t the CPD hiring these days?
My second thought was that nothing ever happened to me there besides sucky parking during the holidays and amazing service. Like..
The ladies at Belle nails that rock my socks and my pedicure underneath.
The friendly staff at Starbucks who always look cheerful even when I’m not before my 3 shots of espresso prior to class.
Chicks Donuts…enough said.
Shen Yang Restaurant which I’ve been faithful to ever since my best friend brought over their divine and healing sweet and sour soup while I had a bad cold 6 years ago.
Chick’s Donuts…enough said.
Las Montanas Market who provides me with the best homemade tamales I’ve tasted so far. And I must mention Las Montanas the restaurant that has theeee best happy hour menu around the area, including a delicious Margarita the size of your head!
Park and Place cleaners have turned my beat up ties into showtime ties for a mere price.
UPS office employees that at any day show more smiles and character than Fedex down the street.

I can keep going on how well managed and protected other businesses are… But I rather just say that Park and Shop is thriving just fine in my eyes being a fellow consumer who frequents it as well as the rest of the community surrounding it.

And perhaps it’s not the security people, it’s just you.
In other words, it’s not Park and Shop, it’s you.
In better words, it’s not Park and Shop, it’s you. And your negative, judging type of attitude that makes you want to sit in a parking lot for HOURS watching other people’s work performances.

Park and Shop probably doesn’t need your money. Nor your neurotic eyes. So just don’t shop there is it bothers you to such extent.

117 Silva July 31, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Two strong reason I’m having trouble deciding where to stay in Concord or go are the fabulous Las Montanas and 99 Ranch Market, both are first rate, and within steps of each other. It’s not always easy to find parking or navigate in and out of the busy lot, but it’s well worth the trip. My son became a lisenced security guard before finding more lucrative work, and it included proficiency testing in several firearms, and a background check. I agree that the owners of Park ‘n Shop are getting the service they are paying for and it could stand a good clean up.

118 SO STUPID! July 31, 2014 at 7:22 AM

That security guard is a moron! My friends and I went shopping one night, and afterwards we retired to the back parking lot, where we hot-boxed a blunt.. The security guard must have driven by 2-3 times, and I mean the window was so foggy that it was totally suspicious, and the patrol car was passing right in front of us. Not a thing happened. Also one time I saw these 2 young kids maybe 14-15, stealing food from 99 Ranch, and people clearly saw them, but nothing was done. Ha.

119 wow July 31, 2014 at 7:50 AM

What’s funny here is there are over 100 post and not a single one of you will attend a city hall meeting to cry about this exorbitant crime ridden area! So your complaints and assaults are all for nothing. Actions speak louder then words, get up from behind your computer and phones and do something about it.

120 Han Solo July 31, 2014 at 7:51 AM

I shop here often and yes its a bit of a run down strip mall. Power wash once a week and empty the trash twice a day would help.
Remember this is Concord and not Rodeo Drive.

121 Snow Man July 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Detroit Ave Representative – go back to Detroit! The parking lots are like a Rat Maze. The Guardian Guards do not even park their cars at Park n Shop because they are too scared to. It’s a good place to work as a guard if you like to read books, or talk to your friends for hours on the phone. Or even spend 4 hours in the Veterinarian while your dog is being worked on. Chucky Cheese is the best thing to happen to this shopping center. Some of the night Guards Park in front of Star Bucks so they can be on the internet all night long. The Surrounding Community nice big building next to some of the homes of the poorest people in Concord. We need the poor people to ring up you items, cook your food, clean the toilets and work for Guardian. Detroit Ave Representative your to self centered to notice any going on with anyone else because you only care about yourself!

122 Want to make a big change July 31, 2014 at 9:03 AM

at Park & Shop? Stop shopping there.

123 Sonny July 31, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I used to own a business there. The security supervisor is very rude and she has different standards for different shopkeepers and customers. She is very partial.

124 Mr. Pink July 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Frankly, I avoid Park & Shop if at all possible. Have gone to Fry’s on occasion, and the Tmobile store, but since Bay Books left I have little reason to visit.

Very sad how bad that whole area has become. I won’t rehash all the past comments, my own included, about the changes in Concord in the last 30-years.

125 Racer X July 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM

The Owners of Park n Shop have spent a small fortune over the past few years remodeling this property. Like any other business Guardian pays people a starting wage. People who are outstanding get a bump in pay. Guardian places seasoned Security Guards at Park n Shop. When available they put in people with Law Enforcement or current Law Enforcement training, and people with Military experience. Gloria is there because she has experienced all sorts of situations over the years; the Property management feels that they need a person with her experience in order to make fast decisions. I feel the biggest problem is the Homeless people. Cities like Richmond have nice homeless shelters where any homeless person is welcome to hang out during the day, and also be served a Dinner in the evening. The people who are reading this from Concord, you need to bring up this point to your City Counsel Members and Mayor. Sure you can do the easy thing, ignore the real problems and shop elsewhere.

126 R July 31, 2014 at 11:22 AM

You go girl! For those of you who think that complaining to the city council or the CPD will make a difference, dream on. Best to call Park and Shop manager at 925-705-5702. Leave a message. “I’d like to complain about the drunk homeless, the trash and dirt, the crime, and the poor security.”

127 @ Racer X July 31, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Concord has a regular homeless shelter and a repite shelter for the homeless out on Arnold and a multi service on Detroit (down by Monument) . So there are shelters in Concord.
And FYI – the Richmond shelter on Brookside is not “nice” it is a dump. There was a massive and I mean massive mold problem a few years ago with the showers and the hearting system was malfunctioning for an entire winter. If you are talking about the GRIP complex (on 22nd in Richmond), that is a church based organization and the facility is services and lunch only

128 Anon July 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Wow I don’t agree with you. The shopping center is dirty dirty. Have you walked throught it lately? I believe the maintenance is the responsiblity of the landlord not the City Council.

129 me July 31, 2014 at 4:30 PM

next stop a shopping center near you. this is what is meant by the bay area / state is going to hell in a hand basket. just give it time. this kind of thing doesn’t turn it self around. other countries garbage are over running what you perceive to be the country you live in. Assimilation. I guess we can all migrate to Canada to get away from it. or maybe we should all migrate to China since all our money goes there anyways. This is all the after effects of the last 40 years of poor decisions. Over regulation of American companies = what gross national product remains? Open borders= all the garbage freely enters for free hand outs of YOUR hard earned money at an underpaid job. HOPE for CHANGE ya, that will do it.

130 Stephanie July 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Shopping center always makes me feel uncomfortable. Lots of sketchy stinky people who hang around the Starbucks and troll around the parking lot. I rarely go shop in this center anymore because its not safe.

131 Aspirin July 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Concord has too many seedy areas to count, just like any other city of similar size. Shopping centers should provide whatever level of security and cleanliness that is required and charge its tenants accordingly. Increased business will result. It is an investment, not a cost.

132 park n shop employee July 31, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I just passed by Park and Shop and saw two security guards parked on the back site of the parking lot facing the dealerships on Market Street. 1 was in a white SUV and 1 in a 4 door silver sedan. Both with the wording: “GUARDIAN SECURITY” Printed on the side. I decided to snap a picture…So I’ll post it if anybody decides to disagree with me. I’m not surprised nothing is changing. It’s so sad that Contra Costa Properties and Guardian Security are trying to direct the focus of this article onto PARKING and not the original topic that was brought up – SAFETY. I really could care less about the parking. And this “Concerned Citizen” guy sounds like someone in management hiding behind their keyboard so they can show their TRUE unprofessional and incompetant colors. Posing as an anonymous happy customer because you dont have any to stick up for you? HA…that’s pretty sad. It reminds me of those politicians who buy their facebook friends and instagram followers. LOL PATHETICCCC!!

This was an awesome article that gained alot of feedback from many claycordians. I look forward to reading more articles like this in the future.

133 R July 31, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Downtown Martinez is ancient compared to Concord and they have brick sidewalks. Their sidewalks are clean — they have an annual pressure washing event and they bring out a whole bunch of pressure washers that look like carpet steamers. The place sparkles when they are done, and very little water is used. Concord should pressure wash around Todos Santos. Another filthy shopping center is where TJ Max and the Dollar Store are. Depressing and disgusting there.

134 RunDogRun July 31, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Hasn’t been the same since
Rhodes left.

135 Get your facts straight July 31, 2014 at 6:59 PM

It’s not security’s job to clean park n shop nor arrest people they are to keep the parking spaces free to shopping customers not dealership lazy ass people who want to park close and not in the street and their job is to observe and call police when necessary get ur facts straight before running your mouths or complaining it’s dirty ass people flithy lazy people and the employees of the businesses that dirty up park n shop they over fill the dumpsters let trash fly and fall wherever security is not hired for trash patrol and for the lame taking a picture did you notice the car said SUPERVISOR ON THE SIDE ya I was there and seen them too and I know the security he was doing a check in because cry babies like you people worrying bout the parking lots and bums and your cars getting broken into because you leave your valuables in plain view understand what exactly their job description is and their hourly wage is and what their stained to do and what not to do concord pd is very aware of the crime and bums their because guardian security , the stores have to hire their own loss prevention guardian is to ticket cars and watch the actual parking lot no matter how many times they drive around there’s still lazy dirty people throwing their trash around the businesses gaff don’t keep the back or front of their businesses clean the bums are told several times a day to leave the cops are called they cone right back they don’t go far it’s really the property management the business owners and shoppers that make that place flithy security is not maids

136 Get your facts straight July 31, 2014 at 7:01 PM

What they are TRAINED TO DO*

137 Also Detroit Ave. July 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM

People drive like sh$t there. They do not understand right of way. There are some nice businesses in that center, it would benefit the businesses to clean the crap up. I always got a kick out of the beehive lady.

138 county employee July 31, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I think Los Montanas has new owners. Service has tanked. The good waitress is gone. Portions are smaller and prices are higher.

139 Andy Hilal July 31, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Park & Shop is one of our favorite places in Concord. The variety of ethnic food keeps us coming back. Have never felt a moment of concern for our safety there. Maybe the guard is lazy but I don’t see a need for him, period.

140 Former Employee of Guardian Security August 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Racer X… who are you kidding? Guardian may not be the worst security outfit, but they’re in the bottom 5.

141 iggey August 1, 2014 at 3:40 AM

The day when upscale shopping at Park & Shop has long passed. Stores like Liberty House have been replaced with the type of stores found in the ghetto. What a shame!!!

142 Silva August 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hmmm. I don’t recall Park ‘n Shop ever fitting the term “upscale”, and I’ve been shopping there since 1971. It once was much cleaner, less busy, but upscale?

143 Silva August 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Where does the beehive lady hang out? I’d like to see her.

144 park n shop employee August 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Yeah when someone gets hurt, mugged or shot in park n shop, I want you to remember that you told us we were cry babies.

What a moron.

145 Kek August 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Its funny to watch everyone fret over such an asinine “problem”. Shopped there numerous times, never had a problem. Yes it’s sketchy but seriously just take your security into your own hands. Knife, gun, whatever, don’t be ashamed to refuse to rely on others(which most of you don’t seem to approve of) for your security. Be a grown up.

146 Antler August 1, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Silva at #142 ….. Oh, yes! Beginning in the 60’s it was quite nice…a movie theater, JC Penney’s, Woolworth’s, Liberty House, Chick’s!!!

What else, everyone?

147 Get your facts straight August 1, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Park n shop securities can’t stop every situation cry baby the stores can also hire private security and call cops too dumb ass so your just as much as a moron

148 Get your facts straight August 1, 2014 at 2:32 PM

And the cry baby is the person who complained because it’s a dealer shop employee that can’t park their damn car in the park n shop parking lot !!!! It’s all over a ticket and warnings because they can’t park in the parking lot MORON

149 Silva August 1, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I do miss the House of Pies.

150 Atticus Thraxx August 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I like pie.

151 Valerie James August 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I only go to Joann’s and that is in a pinch. Park and Shop is SO DIRTY!!!THE SIDEWALKS, THE BUILDINGS, AND IM SORRY TO SAY THE PEOPLE. Nothing like it used to be. Sad!

152 Brown Banana August 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I’m very intrigued by the talk of the ‘Beehive Lady’. Where does she hang out? The place is really sketchy, but what would you expect from a place with a T-Mobile store? The Chinese buffet place is great if you need to get a colonoscopy the next day.

153 nytemuvr August 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM

@Silva #149
Coconut cream was the best there, IMO.

154 nytemuvr August 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM

@Antler #146
Grant’s, Buzzy Bees, Kinney Shoes, Mayfair Market(open 24 hrs.), Wentlings was there for a while, aquarium fish store, Round Table, Walgreens?(next to Grants), used book store, can’t forget the Starlite Room, Rhodes, Wells Fargo, King Normans, Kragen, a dress store next to Chicks and a couple more I’ll remember after I hit “Submit”.

155 Antler August 1, 2014 at 8:02 PM

nytemuvr at #153… Good ones! And Cole’s Interiors was there for quite a few years. I honestly do not recall King Norman’s, though many have commented on what fond childhood memories they have of it.

I like the egg salad sandwiches at the bagel shop. They start the filling from scratch on each order.

156 Silva August 1, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Mmmm. They had so many pies I didn’t even get to try. I don’t think I got much past pecan though. Pecan wasn’t so easy to find as now. Mmmm. Coconut cream, eh?

157 nytemuvr August 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM
158 Silva August 1, 2014 at 8:33 PM

There were some wierd ones that we didn’t know about and weren’t even going to try such as grasshopper pie which was green, and shoo fly pie. :)

159 Silva August 1, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Great photos, nytemuvr! You had the coolest looking dad around I bet!

160 Stupid August 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Hahahahahaha Paul you’re funny

161 Stupid August 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM

=) I love that I was able to get a rise out of you. That response made my night for sure

162 Stupid August 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Also have you ever heard the word punctuation? It’s bad enough that you’re unprofessional and incompetent but illiterate too?? LOL wow. Don’t you have more Instagram followers you need to buy??

163 Antler August 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Nytemuvr…..thanks! I enjoyed the King Norman links, and one commenter explained that it moved to Oakland in 1961. We didn’t move from Berkeley to Concord until June 1960, and our first child was born a month after that; so we would not yet have been in the amusement park “mode” before the feature moved.

Silva, you really “missed the boat” when you didn’t try the Grasshopper pie. It was made with a Creame de Menthe flavor. Some people make it with the real liqueur and with a chocolate crumb crust…. YUM.
Uh-oh….I just put myself in a serious snack mood, and the closest thing I have to that pie is an Oreo mint cookie. Nope. No way! I can just see Killjoy shaking his finger no-no at me. (Thanks for your good example, Killjoy!) :-)

164 nytemuvr August 2, 2014 at 12:08 AM

@Antler #163
The comment might had been a reference to King Norman’s Toy Store and not Playland it self, I think. He owned a big toy store in Oakland and a small one in P n’ S. I forget the exact order things got moved around, the lady on the old claycord thread (or FB page “you know you’re from Concord CA if”) I posted worked for “The King” and I don’t remember the order of events. He had a TV show too. You used to live in Berkeley, we used to go to Fentons and Spengers all the time.
@Silvia The old women in the Del Webb community up here think he still is at 86.

165 Silva August 2, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Antler, Yes those pies had the chocolate crumb crust! I only found out much later that a “grasshopper” was a coctail made with creme de menthe. Should have tried a lot more pies in there.

nytemuvr, I bet they do!

166 Antler August 2, 2014 at 8:38 AM

nytemuvr at #164…… Spanger’s was our favorite “date night” restaurant. My husband doesn’t even like the smells of seafood cooking, but he took me there because I was still so very homesick for the delicious seafood in North Carolina’s coastal areas (and actually he did like the fried prawns). But the quality of food and service there is very much lower now, in my opinion.

Another opinion is that the same thing is happening to Scoma’s in San Francisco. Please, would the rest of you mention your favorite seafood restaurants in San Francisco? I know that Scott’s and Yacht Club are preferred if one is eating locally, right?

Where are you located now? You mentioned Del Webb community….. okay, I’m being too nosy with questions….will go look up that facility online. Happy day!

167 nytemuvr August 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM

@Antler #166
Sacramento area, Del Webb in Roseville. There was a jewelry store close to Grants and a medical supply store next to it with prosthetic arms and legs displayed in the store front windows in P ‘n S back in the 50s, really weird when you’re a kid.

168 Silva August 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM

That’s an amazing photo nytemuvr. It’s how I remember P n S in the seventies too. Mostly empty and no trees. Those were the days. Ihave to admit to never seeing the inside of the Capri Theater. I sure don’t know why not!

Antler, We stopped going to Spenger’s about 30 years ago, although we lived nearby. We just make our own seafood now Good fresh seafood is readily available at 99 Mountain and we always have something from T. J.’s in the freezer. I like Scott’s for a good splurge.

169 The best.. August 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM

fish….The Waterfront in SF. Beautiful views, too.

170 Silva August 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM

That’s it. I’m going to go get a mackerel.

171 Isabelle August 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

What can you do…

172 Antler August 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM

nytemuvr at #167 …… The photo is a real treat! Also, in the comments below it, I found the name of a late friend’s daughter, and we have just friended one another on Facebook. Thank you so very much!

Used to go to AKC field trials on Beale AFB land out from Roseville…..fascinating rock formations on that acreage.

173 Antler August 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Silva at #168 ….. Wish my husband loved seafood the way I do. Occasionally, I buy salmon and he grills it perfectly (at opposite corners of the grill from his steak….. ha!). Agree with you about Scott’s.

Some have posted on here that Tower Grill on Grant St. offers delicious seafood, but I haven’t ordered it there. Maybe you or some others will give advice on that venue?

174 Silva August 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Antler, That’s good he can, and funny It needs to be far away from his food! I guess I’m lucky my husband must have his seafood. I’m rather in the dark about good restaurants anymore.

175 Silva August 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Well I know I did already mention 99 Mountain seafood already, but they will also deep fry anything you select there. My husband is always happy with his own crispy whole fish,

176 nameless August 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Maybe it’s because I’m a younger broad shouldered male that stands 6′ tall, but I’ve always felt that Fry’s and few other stores suffered from hyper-security. Honestly, I prefer not shopping there but the that doesn’t prevent me from shopping there ever if I feel like it’s the cheapest and/or closest to me.

Despite this, I must admit that I have always thought that the area behind O’Reilly’s and the Dollar Store looks, smells, and has the vibe of a lousy neighborhood in Tijuana. I don’t feel unsafe, but that part certainly seems unsanitary at least.

177 Hahaha August 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Go eat a donut you old fart

178 working class stiff August 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Silva – by 1971 Park and Shop was already past its upscale days. In the late 50’s and early 60’s Concord was a semi-upscale suburban bedroom community, and the only shopping choices in the county were Broadway Plaza and Park & Shop. Once Sunvalley mall opened Park & Shop started going downhill and Broadway Plaza went much more upscale, to stay in business. Back in the 60’s there was much less economic difference between Concord and Walnut Creek, or between the lower middle class and the upper middle class for that matter. As the rich got richer and the middle class got poorer the fortunes of the two cities diverged.

179 Silva August 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM

#178, I see. Very interesting. I spent the ’60s in Lafayette, and it was like that there too. A few kids at school had last names that were household names such as Jacuzzi for instance, but for the most part we were all middle class.