Claycordian Frustrated with Security at Park-N-Shop on Willow Pass Rd.

July 30, 2014 14:00 pm · 179 comments

park_n_shop

A customer at Park-N-Shop on Willow Pass Rd. in Concord is frustrated with the lack of security in the front of the shopping center, and she wants something done about it.

Here’s her story….

I’m writing this email as a complaint against the security guard who patrols their lot and am hoping you will post this story on Claycord to get the attention so something is done about this problem.

Often times, I see the security guard waiting on the back side of the parking lot FOR HOURS at a time, where there is not much going on for him to be there the whole day.

The only thing I see him doing is leaving yellow tickets on cars threatening to tow them. Considering the ample parking in the parking lot, I don’t believe this security guard was hired to become a meter-maid. Three weeks ago a friend of mine had her car stolen near the shopping center, the week after that a friend of mine had his drivers side car window bashed in, and had personal items stolen from his car IN the parking lot.

In addition, I have been approached by younger people who appear to be gang affiliated and harassed by them. I also have seen shop lifters, homeless people who appear to be drunk or under the influence, sleeping and pan handling and much more things that make me feel unsafe to shop in the shopping center.

My reasons for this email is to express my frustrations with the security guard’s priorities. Instead of focusing on the back side of the lot, why doesn’t the security guard focus on the side of the shopping center, which receives much more traffic.

If we have an active security guard on duty who is doing his job, I would feel much safer and more comfortable to shop in the shopping center.

I constantly shop at Frys, Starbucks, 99 Ranch Market and The Sunrise Bagel Shop. I have my nails done, and often times I go to Burlington Coat Factory as well. If the security services don’t straighten this issue out, all of these businesses will lose my continued business. There no use for a security guard who doesn’t have his priorities straight.

Claycordians, do you shop in Park-N-Shop? What’s your opinion on the security?

101 Names July 30, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Why dont you answer the same question? How do you know her name?

102 Richard Harp July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Park n Shop has some decent stores but the parking is absolutely terrible and the whole place just has a run down seedy vibe to it. I don’t shop there as much as I used to. It needs some urban renewal!

103 Meemo July 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM

The parking lot is poorly planned out for traffic and parking. Pot smokers smoke out back, idiots drive trashy cars poorly in the lot, and there is definitely a share of scuzzy people staggering around out front of the stores. I like some of the stores a lot for bargains and for just good, hardworking people. But the security stinks They need a nice, big security guard who actually moves around front and back, and who talks to the wanderers and gets to know them. They may be harmless, and they will certainly be more harmless if he or she gets to know them. Also, there would be no graffiti on the site if there were decent night security. The management of that site needs to wake up.

104 Coni July 30, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Concerned citizen thank you for your response. I also have spoken to the guard I think you are referring to and also found him to be a nice person. I wont go into what he told me about the parking or safety issues as I also do not wish to jeopardize anyones job. I don’t think anyone is attacking anyone personally. I think the city could step up and do try to do something about the issue maybe someone will see that there is a need for assistance in making park and shop a safe and clean place to shop and provide the businesses in this area a safe public parking area I don’t think any one here is asking for anything out of the ordinary. I also know for a fact that the young lady who you have called shallow and self centered is also a good person and it really does not help anything for you to judge anyone like that from one article. Everyone is entitled to there opinion and forums like this are created to get people talking and possibly make a change for the better. There are so many wonderful things and people in every country just as much as there is bad.

105 county employee July 30, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I have seen sketchy people at Park n Shop every time I have been there. I know they are there, so I keep my guard up. I haven’t had any problems. I realize that I’m not shopping at Broadway Plaza and it’s fine.

106 furian July 30, 2014 at 10:49 PM

This thread is almost as fun as the politics section!

107 ken July 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM

As an owner of a Private Security Company I can tell you the problem is that the Property owners just want security for the cheapest bill rate. They don’t care who they hire as long as the security company can provide a warm body to the site.

I am employed and my company is doing ok, but I deal with high end stores that value security. I hire the best possible and pay the highest I can, I want the best. My bill rate starts at $30 hr and I pay $15 – $25 hr. I don’t hire just any warm body.

108 Coni July 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

um… concerned citizen it sates “Here is her story”
By the way how do you know her name…. You really should take a nap.

109 alex July 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Security guards are paid 8 or 9 dollar an hour. If you think they are gona risk their safety for that money you must be out of your mind. Even if you get robbed and security is close they will NOT help you.

110 Scary July 30, 2014 at 11:45 PM

THERE ARE TOOOOO MANY HOMELESS AND MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE HANGING OUT AT PARK ‘N SHOP. IT IS NOT A COMFORTABLE PLACE FOR WOMEN TO SHOP INCLUDING MYSELF. YES I’M YELLING.

111 Broke in Colony Park July 31, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I’ve never had a problem. I like the pho, Mexican food, doughnuts, Mediterranean, and other food shops. Ranch 99 is a gem of a store. Not sure where all the negativity is coming from

112 Former Employee of Guardian Security July 31, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Yes, I was once an officer at Guardian Security. No, they don’t hire for intelligence. They want warm bodies who do what they are told to do. They’ll pay you $9/hour (starting rate, but understand, you ain’t gonna make more than $11/hour, EVER). But they do GIVE you like .50/hour for your uniform (for cleaning) on top of your wage.

Does Guardian charge for the uniform? Yes. And if you return the uniform when you stop working for Guardian, you get that money back.

The problem is not necessarily with Guardian – it’s with CHEAP STATE owners who don’t want to pay for ADEQUATE security. Park’n’shop’s owner won’t allocate enough money to the budget to afford enough officers to sufficiently patrol that property. Not to mention that ATROCIOUS excuse for a security guard (the beehived useless b*tch) – Guardian INHERITED her with the property. They were informed when they bid for the contract that she came with the property as a package deal. She’s useless and dumber than a mud puddle.

While they aren’t perfect, Guardian Security is not the worst outfit to work for. Yes, they need to update their wage practices, but that won’t happen until property owners starr pony in up real cash to have their properties adequately staffed.

113 Stupid July 31, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Lol @ “yes I’m yelling!!”

Me too!! It’s time to make a change! The security guards are not meter maids!!

114 funny man July 31, 2014 at 1:57 AM

time to start a petition, whos with me! Time to raiz park n rob.
We can get a vote on the ballot, subsize Chicks move as a historical business with the best donuts in the Greater Tri-Clayocrd metroplex and bulldoze the rest of the place.
i mean what did ya expect from a place with mutliple dollar/discount stores, FPWT cell fone stores, low-brow ethnic food stores and crappy lowest-denominatior junk fast food outlets.

115 Bagel Boy July 31, 2014 at 2:36 AM

I had been a frequent customer of Sunrise Bagels but the parking in the small lot in front of Sunrise Bagels, the Phone Store and the other restaraunt is always full despite the 20 minute parking restrictions. Many of these spaces are taken by employees of these three businesses. What ever happened to the employees parking further away to save those spaces for paying customers?

116 Detroit Ave. Representative July 31, 2014 at 4:54 AM

My immediate thought response was “Wow! This person must have a great amount of time in her hands to be able to investigate at such manner!Must be nice!” Isn’t the CPD hiring these days?
My second thought was that nothing ever happened to me there besides sucky parking during the holidays and amazing service. Like..
The ladies at Belle nails that rock my socks and my pedicure underneath.
The friendly staff at Starbucks who always look cheerful even when I’m not before my 3 shots of espresso prior to class.
Chicks Donuts…enough said.
Shen Yang Restaurant which I’ve been faithful to ever since my best friend brought over their divine and healing sweet and sour soup while I had a bad cold 6 years ago.
Chick’s Donuts…enough said.
Las Montanas Market who provides me with the best homemade tamales I’ve tasted so far. And I must mention Las Montanas the restaurant that has theeee best happy hour menu around the area, including a delicious Margarita the size of your head!
Park and Place cleaners have turned my beat up ties into showtime ties for a mere price.
UPS office employees that at any day show more smiles and character than Fedex down the street.

I can keep going on how well managed and protected other businesses are… But I rather just say that Park and Shop is thriving just fine in my eyes being a fellow consumer who frequents it as well as the rest of the community surrounding it.

And perhaps it’s not the security people, it’s just you.
In other words, it’s not Park and Shop, it’s you.
In better words, it’s not Park and Shop, it’s you. And your negative, judging type of attitude that makes you want to sit in a parking lot for HOURS watching other people’s work performances.

Park and Shop probably doesn’t need your money. Nor your neurotic eyes. So just don’t shop there is it bothers you to such extent.

117 Silva July 31, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Two strong reason I’m having trouble deciding where to stay in Concord or go are the fabulous Las Montanas and 99 Ranch Market, both are first rate, and within steps of each other. It’s not always easy to find parking or navigate in and out of the busy lot, but it’s well worth the trip. My son became a lisenced security guard before finding more lucrative work, and it included proficiency testing in several firearms, and a background check. I agree that the owners of Park ‘n Shop are getting the service they are paying for and it could stand a good clean up.

118 SO STUPID! July 31, 2014 at 7:22 AM

That security guard is a moron! My friends and I went shopping one night, and afterwards we retired to the back parking lot, where we hot-boxed a blunt.. The security guard must have driven by 2-3 times, and I mean the window was so foggy that it was totally suspicious, and the patrol car was passing right in front of us. Not a thing happened. Also one time I saw these 2 young kids maybe 14-15, stealing food from 99 Ranch, and people clearly saw them, but nothing was done. Ha.

119 wow July 31, 2014 at 7:50 AM

What’s funny here is there are over 100 post and not a single one of you will attend a city hall meeting to cry about this exorbitant crime ridden area! So your complaints and assaults are all for nothing. Actions speak louder then words, get up from behind your computer and phones and do something about it.

120 Han Solo July 31, 2014 at 7:51 AM

I shop here often and yes its a bit of a run down strip mall. Power wash once a week and empty the trash twice a day would help.
Remember this is Concord and not Rodeo Drive.

121 Snow Man July 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Detroit Ave Representative – go back to Detroit! The parking lots are like a Rat Maze. The Guardian Guards do not even park their cars at Park n Shop because they are too scared to. It’s a good place to work as a guard if you like to read books, or talk to your friends for hours on the phone. Or even spend 4 hours in the Veterinarian while your dog is being worked on. Chucky Cheese is the best thing to happen to this shopping center. Some of the night Guards Park in front of Star Bucks so they can be on the internet all night long. The Surrounding Community nice big building next to some of the homes of the poorest people in Concord. We need the poor people to ring up you items, cook your food, clean the toilets and work for Guardian. Detroit Ave Representative your to self centered to notice any going on with anyone else because you only care about yourself!

122 Want to make a big change July 31, 2014 at 9:03 AM

at Park & Shop? Stop shopping there.

123 Sonny July 31, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I used to own a business there. The security supervisor is very rude and she has different standards for different shopkeepers and customers. She is very partial.

124 Mr. Pink July 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Frankly, I avoid Park & Shop if at all possible. Have gone to Fry’s on occasion, and the Tmobile store, but since Bay Books left I have little reason to visit.

Very sad how bad that whole area has become. I won’t rehash all the past comments, my own included, about the changes in Concord in the last 30-years.

125 Racer X July 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM

The Owners of Park n Shop have spent a small fortune over the past few years remodeling this property. Like any other business Guardian pays people a starting wage. People who are outstanding get a bump in pay. Guardian places seasoned Security Guards at Park n Shop. When available they put in people with Law Enforcement or current Law Enforcement training, and people with Military experience. Gloria is there because she has experienced all sorts of situations over the years; the Property management feels that they need a person with her experience in order to make fast decisions. I feel the biggest problem is the Homeless people. Cities like Richmond have nice homeless shelters where any homeless person is welcome to hang out during the day, and also be served a Dinner in the evening. The people who are reading this from Concord, you need to bring up this point to your City Counsel Members and Mayor. Sure you can do the easy thing, ignore the real problems and shop elsewhere.

126 R July 31, 2014 at 11:22 AM

You go girl! For those of you who think that complaining to the city council or the CPD will make a difference, dream on. Best to call Park and Shop manager at 925-705-5702. Leave a message. “I’d like to complain about the drunk homeless, the trash and dirt, the crime, and the poor security.”

127 @ Racer X July 31, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Concord has a regular homeless shelter and a repite shelter for the homeless out on Arnold and a multi service on Detroit (down by Monument) . So there are shelters in Concord.
And FYI – the Richmond shelter on Brookside is not “nice” it is a dump. There was a massive and I mean massive mold problem a few years ago with the showers and the hearting system was malfunctioning for an entire winter. If you are talking about the GRIP complex (on 22nd in Richmond), that is a church based organization and the facility is services and lunch only

128 Anon July 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Wow I don’t agree with you. The shopping center is dirty dirty. Have you walked throught it lately? I believe the maintenance is the responsiblity of the landlord not the City Council.

129 me July 31, 2014 at 4:30 PM

next stop a shopping center near you. this is what is meant by the bay area / state is going to hell in a hand basket. just give it time. this kind of thing doesn’t turn it self around. other countries garbage are over running what you perceive to be the country you live in. Assimilation. I guess we can all migrate to Canada to get away from it. or maybe we should all migrate to China since all our money goes there anyways. This is all the after effects of the last 40 years of poor decisions. Over regulation of American companies = what gross national product remains? Open borders= all the garbage freely enters for free hand outs of YOUR hard earned money at an underpaid job. HOPE for CHANGE ya, that will do it.

130 Stephanie July 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Shopping center always makes me feel uncomfortable. Lots of sketchy stinky people who hang around the Starbucks and troll around the parking lot. I rarely go shop in this center anymore because its not safe.

131 Aspirin July 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Concord has too many seedy areas to count, just like any other city of similar size. Shopping centers should provide whatever level of security and cleanliness that is required and charge its tenants accordingly. Increased business will result. It is an investment, not a cost.

132 park n shop employee July 31, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I just passed by Park and Shop and saw two security guards parked on the back site of the parking lot facing the dealerships on Market Street. 1 was in a white SUV and 1 in a 4 door silver sedan. Both with the wording: “GUARDIAN SECURITY” Printed on the side. I decided to snap a picture…So I’ll post it if anybody decides to disagree with me. I’m not surprised nothing is changing. It’s so sad that Contra Costa Properties and Guardian Security are trying to direct the focus of this article onto PARKING and not the original topic that was brought up – SAFETY. I really could care less about the parking. And this “Concerned Citizen” guy sounds like someone in management hiding behind their keyboard so they can show their TRUE unprofessional and incompetant colors. Posing as an anonymous happy customer because you dont have any to stick up for you? HA…that’s pretty sad. It reminds me of those politicians who buy their facebook friends and instagram followers. LOL PATHETICCCC!!

This was an awesome article that gained alot of feedback from many claycordians. I look forward to reading more articles like this in the future.

133 R July 31, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Downtown Martinez is ancient compared to Concord and they have brick sidewalks. Their sidewalks are clean — they have an annual pressure washing event and they bring out a whole bunch of pressure washers that look like carpet steamers. The place sparkles when they are done, and very little water is used. Concord should pressure wash around Todos Santos. Another filthy shopping center is where TJ Max and the Dollar Store are. Depressing and disgusting there.

134 RunDogRun July 31, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Hasn’t been the same since
Rhodes left.

135 Get your facts straight July 31, 2014 at 6:59 PM

It’s not security’s job to clean park n shop nor arrest people they are to keep the parking spaces free to shopping customers not dealership lazy ass people who want to park close and not in the street and their job is to observe and call police when necessary get ur facts straight before running your mouths or complaining it’s dirty ass people flithy lazy people and the employees of the businesses that dirty up park n shop they over fill the dumpsters let trash fly and fall wherever security is not hired for trash patrol and for the lame taking a picture did you notice the car said SUPERVISOR ON THE SIDE ya I was there and seen them too and I know the security he was doing a check in because cry babies like you people worrying bout the parking lots and bums and your cars getting broken into because you leave your valuables in plain view understand what exactly their job description is and their hourly wage is and what their stained to do and what not to do concord pd is very aware of the crime and bums their because guardian security , the stores have to hire their own loss prevention guardian is to ticket cars and watch the actual parking lot no matter how many times they drive around there’s still lazy dirty people throwing their trash around the businesses gaff don’t keep the back or front of their businesses clean the bums are told several times a day to leave the cops are called they cone right back they don’t go far it’s really the property management the business owners and shoppers that make that place flithy security is not maids

136 Get your facts straight July 31, 2014 at 7:01 PM

What they are TRAINED TO DO*

137 Also Detroit Ave. July 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM

People drive like sh$t there. They do not understand right of way. There are some nice businesses in that center, it would benefit the businesses to clean the crap up. I always got a kick out of the beehive lady.

138 county employee July 31, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I think Los Montanas has new owners. Service has tanked. The good waitress is gone. Portions are smaller and prices are higher.

139 Andy Hilal July 31, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Park & Shop is one of our favorite places in Concord. The variety of ethnic food keeps us coming back. Have never felt a moment of concern for our safety there. Maybe the guard is lazy but I don’t see a need for him, period.

140 Former Employee of Guardian Security August 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Racer X… who are you kidding? Guardian may not be the worst security outfit, but they’re in the bottom 5.

141 iggey August 1, 2014 at 3:40 AM

The day when upscale shopping at Park & Shop has long passed. Stores like Liberty House have been replaced with the type of stores found in the ghetto. What a shame!!!

142 Silva August 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hmmm. I don’t recall Park ‘n Shop ever fitting the term “upscale”, and I’ve been shopping there since 1971. It once was much cleaner, less busy, but upscale?

143 Silva August 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Where does the beehive lady hang out? I’d like to see her.

144 park n shop employee August 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Yeah when someone gets hurt, mugged or shot in park n shop, I want you to remember that you told us we were cry babies.

What a moron.

145 Kek August 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Its funny to watch everyone fret over such an asinine “problem”. Shopped there numerous times, never had a problem. Yes it’s sketchy but seriously just take your security into your own hands. Knife, gun, whatever, don’t be ashamed to refuse to rely on others(which most of you don’t seem to approve of) for your security. Be a grown up.

146 Antler August 1, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Silva at #142 ….. Oh, yes! Beginning in the 60’s it was quite nice…a movie theater, JC Penney’s, Woolworth’s, Liberty House, Chick’s!!!

What else, everyone?

147 Get your facts straight August 1, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Park n shop securities can’t stop every situation cry baby the stores can also hire private security and call cops too dumb ass so your just as much as a moron

148 Get your facts straight August 1, 2014 at 2:32 PM

And the cry baby is the person who complained because it’s a dealer shop employee that can’t park their damn car in the park n shop parking lot !!!! It’s all over a ticket and warnings because they can’t park in the parking lot MORON

149 Silva August 1, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I do miss the House of Pies.

150 Atticus Thraxx August 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I like pie.

151 Valerie James August 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I only go to Joann’s and that is in a pinch. Park and Shop is SO DIRTY!!!THE SIDEWALKS, THE BUILDINGS, AND IM SORRY TO SAY THE PEOPLE. Nothing like it used to be. Sad!

152 Brown Banana August 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I’m very intrigued by the talk of the ‘Beehive Lady’. Where does she hang out? The place is really sketchy, but what would you expect from a place with a T-Mobile store? The Chinese buffet place is great if you need to get a colonoscopy the next day.

153 nytemuvr August 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM

@Silva #149
Coconut cream was the best there, IMO.

154 nytemuvr August 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM

@Antler #146
Grant’s, Buzzy Bees, Kinney Shoes, Mayfair Market(open 24 hrs.), Wentlings was there for a while, aquarium fish store, Round Table, Walgreens?(next to Grants), used book store, can’t forget the Starlite Room, Rhodes, Wells Fargo, King Normans, Kragen, a dress store next to Chicks and a couple more I’ll remember after I hit “Submit”.

155 Antler August 1, 2014 at 8:02 PM

nytemuvr at #153… Good ones! And Cole’s Interiors was there for quite a few years. I honestly do not recall King Norman’s, though many have commented on what fond childhood memories they have of it.

I like the egg salad sandwiches at the bagel shop. They start the filling from scratch on each order.

156 Silva August 1, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Mmmm. They had so many pies I didn’t even get to try. I don’t think I got much past pecan though. Pecan wasn’t so easy to find as now. Mmmm. Coconut cream, eh?

157 nytemuvr August 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM
158 Silva August 1, 2014 at 8:33 PM

There were some wierd ones that we didn’t know about and weren’t even going to try such as grasshopper pie which was green, and shoo fly pie. :)

159 Silva August 1, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Great photos, nytemuvr! You had the coolest looking dad around I bet!

160 Stupid August 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Hahahahahaha Paul you’re funny

161 Stupid August 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM

=) I love that I was able to get a rise out of you. That response made my night for sure

162 Stupid August 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Also have you ever heard the word punctuation? It’s bad enough that you’re unprofessional and incompetent but illiterate too?? LOL wow. Don’t you have more Instagram followers you need to buy??

163 Antler August 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Nytemuvr…..thanks! I enjoyed the King Norman links, and one commenter explained that it moved to Oakland in 1961. We didn’t move from Berkeley to Concord until June 1960, and our first child was born a month after that; so we would not yet have been in the amusement park “mode” before the feature moved.

Silva, you really “missed the boat” when you didn’t try the Grasshopper pie. It was made with a Creame de Menthe flavor. Some people make it with the real liqueur and with a chocolate crumb crust…. YUM.
Uh-oh….I just put myself in a serious snack mood, and the closest thing I have to that pie is an Oreo mint cookie. Nope. No way! I can just see Killjoy shaking his finger no-no at me. (Thanks for your good example, Killjoy!) :-)

164 nytemuvr August 2, 2014 at 12:08 AM

@Antler #163
The comment might had been a reference to King Norman’s Toy Store and not Playland it self, I think. He owned a big toy store in Oakland and a small one in P n’ S. I forget the exact order things got moved around, the lady on the old claycord thread (or FB page “you know you’re from Concord CA if”) I posted worked for “The King” and I don’t remember the order of events. He had a TV show too. You used to live in Berkeley, we used to go to Fentons and Spengers all the time.
@Silvia The old women in the Del Webb community up here think he still is at 86.

165 Silva August 2, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Antler, Yes those pies had the chocolate crumb crust! I only found out much later that a “grasshopper” was a coctail made with creme de menthe. Should have tried a lot more pies in there.

nytemuvr, I bet they do!

166 Antler August 2, 2014 at 8:38 AM

nytemuvr at #164…… Spanger’s was our favorite “date night” restaurant. My husband doesn’t even like the smells of seafood cooking, but he took me there because I was still so very homesick for the delicious seafood in North Carolina’s coastal areas (and actually he did like the fried prawns). But the quality of food and service there is very much lower now, in my opinion.

Another opinion is that the same thing is happening to Scoma’s in San Francisco. Please, would the rest of you mention your favorite seafood restaurants in San Francisco? I know that Scott’s and Yacht Club are preferred if one is eating locally, right?

Where are you located now? You mentioned Del Webb community….. okay, I’m being too nosy with questions….will go look up that facility online. Happy day!

167 nytemuvr August 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM

@Antler #166
Sacramento area, Del Webb in Roseville. There was a jewelry store close to Grants and a medical supply store next to it with prosthetic arms and legs displayed in the store front windows in P ‘n S back in the 50s, really weird when you’re a kid.

168 Silva August 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM

That’s an amazing photo nytemuvr. It’s how I remember P n S in the seventies too. Mostly empty and no trees. Those were the days. Ihave to admit to never seeing the inside of the Capri Theater. I sure don’t know why not!

Antler, We stopped going to Spenger’s about 30 years ago, although we lived nearby. We just make our own seafood now Good fresh seafood is readily available at 99 Mountain and we always have something from T. J.’s in the freezer. I like Scott’s for a good splurge.

169 The best.. August 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM

fish….The Waterfront in SF. Beautiful views, too.

170 Silva August 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM

That’s it. I’m going to go get a mackerel.

171 Isabelle August 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

What can you do…

172 Antler August 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM

nytemuvr at #167 …… The photo is a real treat! Also, in the comments below it, I found the name of a late friend’s daughter, and we have just friended one another on Facebook. Thank you so very much!

Used to go to AKC field trials on Beale AFB land out from Roseville…..fascinating rock formations on that acreage.

173 Antler August 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Silva at #168 ….. Wish my husband loved seafood the way I do. Occasionally, I buy salmon and he grills it perfectly (at opposite corners of the grill from his steak….. ha!). Agree with you about Scott’s.

Some have posted on here that Tower Grill on Grant St. offers delicious seafood, but I haven’t ordered it there. Maybe you or some others will give advice on that venue?

174 Silva August 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Antler, That’s good he can, and funny It needs to be far away from his food! I guess I’m lucky my husband must have his seafood. I’m rather in the dark about good restaurants anymore.

175 Silva August 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Well I know I did already mention 99 Mountain seafood already, but they will also deep fry anything you select there. My husband is always happy with his own crispy whole fish,

176 nameless August 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Maybe it’s because I’m a younger broad shouldered male that stands 6′ tall, but I’ve always felt that Fry’s and few other stores suffered from hyper-security. Honestly, I prefer not shopping there but the that doesn’t prevent me from shopping there ever if I feel like it’s the cheapest and/or closest to me.

Despite this, I must admit that I have always thought that the area behind O’Reilly’s and the Dollar Store looks, smells, and has the vibe of a lousy neighborhood in Tijuana. I don’t feel unsafe, but that part certainly seems unsanitary at least.

177 Hahaha August 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Go eat a donut you old fart

178 working class stiff August 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Silva – by 1971 Park and Shop was already past its upscale days. In the late 50’s and early 60’s Concord was a semi-upscale suburban bedroom community, and the only shopping choices in the county were Broadway Plaza and Park & Shop. Once Sunvalley mall opened Park & Shop started going downhill and Broadway Plaza went much more upscale, to stay in business. Back in the 60’s there was much less economic difference between Concord and Walnut Creek, or between the lower middle class and the upper middle class for that matter. As the rich got richer and the middle class got poorer the fortunes of the two cities diverged.

179 Silva August 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM

#178, I see. Very interesting. I spent the ’60s in Lafayette, and it was like that there too. A few kids at school had last names that were household names such as Jacuzzi for instance, but for the most part we were all middle class.