Rock Thrown at Vehicle on Ygnacio Valley Rd. in Concord

July 29, 2014 · 38 comments

scratch

A vehicle was hit with a rock this morning on Ygnacio Valley Rd. in Concord, according to the driver, who says it happened just after 2am.

Here’s the story….

I was headed to work this morning at 2:20 am, headed down Ygnacio Valley Rd. towards Walnut Creek. Just before I reached Cowell I heard what sounded like an explosion in my car. It hurt my ears. I slowed down and carefully searched for the source. It’s 2:20 am and I am a female, no way I’m stopping to investigate unless I smell smoke or my car is disabled. When I got to work, I got out of my car and searched again. Nothing inside my car but I did notice a large gash in the side of my car that wasn’t there before. It was clearly a rock that had been thrown at my car. There were no other cars on the road and with the location, there is no way my tires kicked it up. Just want to warn others to be careful.

Sorry this happened to you. Hope they don’t kill somebody next time.

1 Jeninreality July 29, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I had the same thing happen as I was on 242 approaching the Willow Pass exit at around 5:15pm. I was passing the self storage facility when I saw this large rock flying right towards my windshield. Besides scaring the bejesus out of me, It caused an immediate crack, which grew longer and longer as I made my way into Concord. I quickly looked around and I could see some kids hiding between the bushes and the storage facility running away in my rearview mirror. Maybe it is a wrong assumption on my part regarding the kids but I figured they were messing around and had nothing better to do than to cause some destruction. Thankfully I didn’t swerve into another vehicle. Unfortunately, this cost me $350.00 to replace the windshield. Bummer.

2 nytemuvr July 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Perseid and Delta Aquariids Meteor showers are going on now. Pretty hard to hit a moving vehicle at YVR speeds.

3 Kids throwing rocks? July 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Sounds like a few degenerates are way past due for trip to the woodshed.

4 Marissa July 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Of course it’s kids throwing rocks again. They do this every summer in the exact same place, then it’s posted on claycord. Catch the buggers and give them a what for.

5 Clasping Forehead July 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Oh, please, nytemuvr, re-think the scenario! A rock does not leave a gash. It had to have been a bullet or something faster than a flying bullet or maybe a dragon’s fang. And how does one “be careful” of those things when driving a car? Anyone?

6 PhilthyPHRESH July 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Next time?

7 Dorothy July 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I’m sure the parents of each person who tossed rocks at cars are so proud of them. Poor deprived of entertainment little darlings…

8 @Clasping Forehead July 29, 2014 at 2:05 PM

f=ma the speed and weight of the projectile and the speed of the car could have caused this, no matter what the object was. Let’s not start jumping to conclusions.

9 Clasping Forehead July 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM

#8, I was funning nytemuvr. His mention of a meteorite was a little far out didn’t you think? No? Did you notice my pun. No?
Meteorite= From far out.
Still no?
Sorry pal.

10 Beware July 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM

It could be one of those Smart,Goodlooking,Debonaires. They are always slinging crap at people.

11 just a concordian July 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM

They did that on Mythbusters. They crashed a car at 50 mph into a brick wall, then another at 100 mph. Then they crashed two cars in a head on collision, each going at 50 mph and Jamie’s conclusion was that since each car was traveling at 50 mph the force of impact was equal to one car traveling at 100 mph. Technically that’s true, if one combines the damage of both cars. However, in a later episode, they realized they were wrong. Both cars suffered the same damage as if they both hit a brick wall at 100 mph is incorrect. The damage both cars got was nearly equal to the damage suffered by one car hitting the brick wall at 50 mph. The minor difference is because of the wall and car consistencies and materials of construction.

Bottom line… the rock hit the car at speed x which isn’t enough to dent the car. However the car hit the rock at speed y which IS enough to dent the car.

Point being… whether you’re a male or a female, if something like this is happening, you continue for another few hundred meters as nothing happened, pull over and call the police.

The mythbusters thing was just for fun.

12 nytemuvr July 29, 2014 at 3:38 PM

@Clasping Forehead #9
Was just stating two facts….meteorite, plausible….kids, probably.

13 Cici July 29, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Water Balloon was thrown at my daughter’s car in Piedmont from a overpass. Very scary thud, scared to get out and check, but saw no damage
later, just water splash marks.
Why are people so mean and angry? Don;t do that to people or karma will get you!

14 Ummmm July 29, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I’m not sure I would be so convinced some kids were throwing rocks.

Could have been any number of things –

I personally agree that it was more than likely a dragon’s fang. It is that time of year for dragons to shed their fangs.

Just sayin’

15 bumper morgan July 29, 2014 at 4:26 PM

A bunch of windshields were smashed by rocks in the area of Ygnacio Valley Park at Oak Grove Road…connection?

16 The Realist July 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Heard of children of alcoholic parents syndrome?
This is children of wealthy liberals syndrome. Untouchable and spoiled.
I would suggest bringing back corporal punishment for the juvenile system since the parenting in California is sorely lacking.
Caning seems to be effective in Singapore.

17 Neverceasestoamazeme July 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

My roommate had the same thing happen about a month or so ago.
Her windshield cracked so bad she had to have the repair company come to her as she could hardly see out.
She was on 680 and passing Willow Pass Rd area…. There was no one in front of her and the rock came at her in the air.

18 Next Time..... July 29, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Sorry to hear that some punk a$$ kids (who were probably up well past their bedtime, while their crackhead parents were stoned out) did this to you. Next time, if you see the little scumbags, stop. then reverse your car and go after them. that should scare the sh-t of out of them.

19 I have a solution... July 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Parents of Concord – please don’t have children. Save us hard working adults from dealing with your litter who vandalize property. I hate you turds.

20 Silva July 29, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to me many years ago as I drove my F150 on 580 toward Knowland Zoo. Yes, I know it’s in East Oakland. Something large came hard and fast upwards, from below the freeway towards my windshield and left a dent where the roof meets the window. That’s not an easy place to dent in an ’85 F150., either. It was in the middle of the day, I was driving at freeway speed, and kept going. I figgured it was someone immature, with a wicked pitching arm.

21 ClayDen July 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM

@@Clasping Forehead #8

What is actually involved here is the amount of kinetic energy, which is from the equation 1/2 MV^2.

22 Laura Zah July 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Target shooters

23 Clasping Forehead July 30, 2014 at 12:16 AM

#21,
Yep, those dragons bite down hard.

24 Suzanne July 30, 2014 at 6:50 AM

Looks like a bullet to me.

25 Russ July 30, 2014 at 7:05 AM

What… is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

26 Clasping Forehead July 30, 2014 at 7:19 AM

“Tower, Dragon Fang Heavy ready at two five B.”

27 punks July 30, 2014 at 7:53 AM

I had that happen to me in Danville while dropping off a friend. Little did that brat know the friend I was dropping off was 6’6 male who jumped out of the car, chased him down and got all of his information (took picture of his ID and everything). Found out he was an 20 year old “kid”, adopted, lived in a gated community AND had a child of his own.

28 nytemuvr July 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM

@Silva #20
I have some real good pictures of Knowland Park Zoo from the 60s. We went there pretty often, but mostly Fleishhacker Zoo in SF.

29 nytemuvr July 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM
30 Silva July 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM

nytemuvr, That’s so cool!!

31 Silva July 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM

nytemuvr, Do you remember that chimp at Fleishhacker Zoo who would fill his mouth with water and spit it in a stream at the onlookers? That was in the ’60s, and back then the animals were in rediculously small cages with nothing much to do. He gave us such a laugh!

32 nytemuvr July 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I do remember the water spitting chimp, and I remember the orangutans that threw poop at you at Fleishhacker Zoo.

33 Silva July 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Oh My Gosh, nytemuvr! I remember all that stuff now. Are you the kid with the hen? Your dad must’ve been behind the camera this time. Thse ARE good.

34 nytemuvr July 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Silvia, yes and yes…I think it was one of those baboons, not orangutans, with the red butt that threw their crap, great fun to watch the tourists scatter. Their cages back then were only 20’x20′ at the most.

35 Silva July 30, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Oh! Now I remember those poop slingers too. We just didn’t get very near that cage!

36 Silva July 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Yep! Good clean fun it was!

37 Shelly July 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Yeah you’re right, they were baboons, and watching the tourists shriek and scatter was the BEST!

38 Silva July 31, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I am absolutely amazed to find another person who remembers the spitting and poop slinging primates at the fleisshacker Zoo. Thanks for sharing your photos, nytemuvr.