Mt. Diablo Unified School District Offers Free Online Drivers Education Course

July 28, 2014 · 15 comments

driversed

Click on the flyer above to view more information on this free online drivers education course, which is offered by the Mt. Diablo Unified School District.

1 cs July 28, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Just missed it! Will tell our friends about it so they can benefit. Way to go, MDUSD!

2 CVCHS Dad July 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I can think of no better way to teach the intricacies of driving an automobile than an online course.

Way to go MDUSD!

3 City Girl July 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Makes me wonder why these students will receive HS credit for this class when they can take it AT HOME! They won’t even be required to sit in a classroom to take the course but still earn credit. I remember in 1979 earning credit for sitting in a classroom AFTER SCHOOL for several weeks while a human teacher taught the class. I’m not sure if I like this idea.

4 Baby Boomer July 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM

What? They don’t teach Drivers Ed in school anymore? I must be getting old, when I was in high school it was taught in the classroom and after completion we automatically had Driver Training.
Well, that was in the sixties when life was less complicated.

5 Soon enough July 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM

kids will get drivers licenses without ever driving a car.

6 Jerk July 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Really? This is like learning how to fly a plane by talking about it.
Either need REAL WORLD or Simulator ~ Not some online baloney.

7 Silva July 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Baby Boomer (#4), I got my Driver’s Training/Driver’s Ed back then too for free in CVHS, when it was part of the normal curriculum. I had to pay for my son to take a private course so that he could qualify for his DMV learner’s permit, because the classes had been dropped some time ago. They didn’t have much in the way of frills when he was in high school.

8 Teacher July 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM

It’s great that they’re doing this. FYI: the 2.5 elective credits probably amount to one quarter’s worth of taking an elective (approximately 9 weeks of school). Where I work, students earn 5 credits per semester. I’m not sure if it’s the same in MDUSD. Also, many schools stopped offering Driver’s Ed. years ago. I went to high school in the late ’90s. Before I started high school, sophomores (if my memory is correct) were required to take a semester of Health and a semester of Driver’s Ed. It fit perfectly into a schedule. When they stopped offering Driver’s Ed., but continued to require Health, it caused a convenience issue because it’s tough to get just a semester of elective (schedule change). So I took Health in summer school at another school in the district. Summer school is not held at every school site. Anyway, I’m happy that they’re offering this. I only wish I could send my students. Too many tell me that they drive without a license, which scares the heck out of me.

9 Bishop Estates July 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM

@ #’s 5 & 6
The Students DO have to complete behind the wheel training , this is just for the “classroom” learning portion.

10 @ cs @jerk July 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM

This is for Driver EDUCATION, NOT Driver TRAINING. Those wanting to get their Provisional Permit MUST be, per DMV, “enrolled and participating in an approved integrated driver education/driver training program (Certificate of Enrollment in an Integrated [Classroom] Driver Education and Driver Training Program).” And “the provisional permit is not valid until you start your behind-the-wheel driver training with an instructor or reach age 17½.” The professional trainer must sign the Provisional Permit before it is valid. Six hours or professional driver training is required and is in ADDITION to the 50 hours of driving practice with an adult 25 years or older, with at least 10 hours of night driving.

11 Pyrrhus July 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Also, don’t forget that you still have to pass the DMV driver’s permit test. This just gives you the classroom credit that allows a minor to be able to qualify for the permit. This is no different then an online driving school course for when you get a ticket. The difference is, it’s free, and you still gotta pass real tests to get the permit/license.

So, there’s really nothing to worry about chicken littles of Claycord, there are no computer only trained drivers invading your community.

12 Jesse July 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Everybody getting angry over how “easy” this is and how they don’t need any “real world” practice……are you kidding me? Must not remember how it works.

You take this 30 hour course (and, if I remember, a test), then you go to the DMV, where you take another test for your Learner’s Permit. Then you need to drive at least 50 hours with a licensed adult over the age of 25, then you go back to the DMV when you turn 16, and take the actual driving test. And then, if you pass and are a minor, you can’t drive any minors except for siblings for a year.

So, at the end, a newly licensed driver has devoted at least 80 hours to learning how to drive, if not more. Yes, there are bad teen drivers. There are also bad senior drivers. Did you know there are also bad middle-aged drivers? I’m sick of hearing the “kids these days” whining every time there’s an accident involving a kid reported on here.

At least drop the argument that teens don’t have the minimum amount of training. You sound ridiculous.

13 Jesse July 28, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I forgot to add, 10 hours out of the 50 hours of driving has to be at night and they have to complete an additional 6 hours of training with a professional instructor.

14 Jess July 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Nice! High schools stopped offering drivers’ ed courses a long time ago. For-profit driver training schools have been offering the required classroom training online for years. That’s how my kids did it. Good to see MDUSD offering it for free. Of course the kids will still have to pay a for-profit driving school for the required 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training. But getting the classroom training for free will help out a lot of families.

15 WolfPack July 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM