Suspicious Man Seen Peeking in Vehicle Confronted with Machete

July 27, 2014 · 35 comments

Northern Claycordians, keep an eye out for a suspicious individual who might be casing the neighborhood around Esperanza Dr. in Concord.

I’d like to report a strange man approaching a home on Esperanza Drive at approximately 11pm on Saturday between Salvio St. and Bonifacio St. in Concord.

The stranger had noticed lights on in the home and front door wide open (but steel security screen door was closed and locked). Only when the front porch’s motion-detector light came on it did it bring attention to persons in the home. The individual was immediately confronted (with a machete in his face!) at which time he asked for a “Tyler.”

This was a complete BS request because there has never been a Tyler at this address. After a few words were exchanged the man left the scene. Concord PD was contacted and within a few minutes it became known that this same individual had just been 2 doors down looking inside a neighbors vehicle. When the neighbor asked he was doing the strange man asked for a flashlight.

Please let your readers know to stay vigilant, keep doors and windows locked, take preventative measures, etc. in order to stay safe. It was very helpful in this case to have the motion-detector porch light which brought the attention to the residents. Also, you can’t go wrong with the security-type, steel screen doors.

Description of stranger: Appeared to be Caucasian, in his 20’s, approx. 5′ 6″, light brown wavy hair in a ponytail.

The tipster says police were called.

1 The Realist July 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Nothing says ghetto like bars on windows and steel security doors.
My, my, Concord? What has happened to the quiet bedroom town I grew up in.
Sacramento letting out all the baddies doesn’t help but it seems like the local communities (neighborhood watches and the like) aren’t stepping up either.

Just remember everyone, when seconds count the police are just minutes away!

2 in the know July 27, 2014 at 12:27 AM

It is not known at this time if the man has been found.

3 Zorphious July 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Let him make his way to Martinez. He will be confronted by me and looking down my Belgian Malinois mouth. Stitches will be required on his way to county lockup.

4 @The Realist July 27, 2014 at 12:58 AM

that doesn’t make sense…the neighbors did step up, you need to reread the story. They did everything right.

5 @ re July 27, 2014 at 2:09 AM

Your an idiot!

6 Foxbody50 July 27, 2014 at 2:16 AM

Total tweaker!! Meth is out there people it could be right next door, at work, and yes even at your home. Dont ignore this epidemic 94% failure rate. Once you use it, you probably always will. Just a fact.

7 Sinn Feiner July 27, 2014 at 2:19 AM

I just have to laugh whenever I see people referring to Concord as “Ghetto” or “Oakland”. Try walking down the street in East Oakland late at night and tell me how that works out for you. Then take a walk around Concord late at night and compare the experience. Concord is always quiet at night. Concord has what, maybe 1 or 2 murders a year on average compared to Oakland’s 100+???

I’ve been bike riding after work late at night around this time here in Concord for 12 years now and have NEVER had one incident where I had to get the police involved. Never been robbed ect…. I’ve lived in Concord 17 years and have never had my house broken into. How about that? Only had my truck broken into once late at night with a few cd’s stolen (No damage to my truck) and the Concord Police caught the loser within the hour and took him to County Jail.

8 @ in the know July 27, 2014 at 3:45 AM

Heard on the radio they found him just minutes after the call was dispatched.

9 jeff July 27, 2014 at 6:15 AM

I have lived in Concord for 33 years and I’ m involved in Law Enforcement.
The best deterrent is both motion sensing lights and wireless motion sensors that send a signal to a remote box inside your home letting you know that someone has entered your property. There is a Company called Chamberlain that sells the Wireless Pedestrian & Vehicle Alert System. In addition beware of dog signs, Security System Signs and Video Surveillance are all great deterrents. The motion sensors from Chamberlain has made it possible for me to remove less than savory characters from my property 3 times while I was at home. When I’m not home the Base Station can be plugged in on your porch and be set to send out a loud buzz when someone enters your property acting as a great deterrent and alerting close by neighbors that someone is on your property. When the sensors are set right animals won’t trigger then causing nuisance alarms. You can also put the system on a timer and have it only come on when you most want the protection.

10 Kyle Willowmob July 27, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Someone was on a good 1

11 Lovin Concord July 27, 2014 at 9:05 AM

So, how do you confront someone with a machete? Is it held at the low ready, with the point towards their face, or just in your hand at your side? Just curious as to how to do this approprietly so that I don’t commit a faux paux, or a crime for that matter. (BTW – I have a seeking suspicion that the suspect who appears to have been casing the neighborhood could have called the police on the machete weilding householder who would have then had some splainin’ to do when the cops got there)

12 WCMommy July 27, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Oh My God…Please post a pic of the resident with the machete haha.

13 A machete is good July 27, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I prefer a Remington Arms 12 gauge. But to each his own.

14 Laura Zah July 27, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Machete? Not for me. I don’t want to be the fool that brought a knife to a gunfight.

15 Tom July 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Unless you’re in a high crime neighborhood, I don’t recommend bars on windows. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND steel screen doors for EVERYONE, regardless of the neighborhood.

Ever heard of a robbery where the front door is kicked in? Yes, we have one, and no, we’ve never been robbed.

Our screen door doesn’t fit into our neighborhood, but we’re more concerned about safety. It’s working well for us.

16 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire July 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM

The local lefties feel he has every right to peer into peoples homes and cars at night and that his civil rights were violated and all those who suspected him of wrongdoing will be sued for not being open minded.

17 Rob July 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Do you mean he was confronted “with a” or “by” Machete?

18 Marianne July 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM

A Machete! Of all things…

19 Cowellian July 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM

@ re @5 wins today’s “your an idiot” irony award.

20 Sofa King July 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Just love when morons claim Concord (or any town) is a ghetto because its residents take reasonable precautions to ensure that they are not the victims of crime. Crime which can (and does) occur in every town in America, including the one in which The Realist lives.

21 ChampagneKitty July 27, 2014 at 1:46 PM

to SG&D–Why do you need to try to make this a political issue? Politics has nothing to do with this story.

22 VikingPrincess July 27, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Sounds like someone on drugs or mentally ill. Especially if he asked someone for a flashlight.

23 SeeK July 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM

@ #16/17

Do you really think you’re funny?

24 RiffRaf July 27, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Please do put up motion lights, that way I can see what I am stealing.

25 RANDOM TASK July 27, 2014 at 4:41 PM

YOU CAN THANK……you appointed dems ….all these meth heads were let out and now are on the streets to browse accordingly in your neighborhood for stuff to steal and sell for a fix ……..ahhhhh…….enjoy you voted for it ……no crying now

26 RANDOM TASK July 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM

idea…can not believe I have to say this …instead of voting for a party because you want to piss off your neighbor …..vote for change this state is in dire need of ousting of the criminals that have stole billions in tax dollars and left you to the methheads …….you know what happens when you don’t …….NOTHING

27 SilencePlease July 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

ChampagneKitty- 22 –
To keep your lack of understanding secret, remain silent.

28 me July 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

@25 riff raff
only light you will see is made by crimson trace. stop on by.

29 Just another Concord resident July 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Thank you Jeff for the words of wisdom.. it is a tough place, but if we band together, we can drive out the scum and restore our city. I too have lived here for more than 30 years and have been involved.. Our elected leaders don’t lead.. we must re take our rights and restore our liberties. Neither political party has all the answers and not all of us can agree on a solution. But we must never give up. All I am certain of is that we must get rid of our elected officials and replace them with sanity. I fear that this country is on the path to another civil war. If it comes, so be it.. but until then, we fight within the confines of our Constitution and our rights.

30 VikingPrincess July 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM

How did this thread go from a story about a person acting bizarre to electing the right people?
Perhaps accidently posted on wrong thread? Or maybe a poster can help me and others to trace how this line of thinking jumped to this topic ;)

31 anon July 28, 2014 at 12:40 AM

How does one confront a person by machete?
You must see Crocodile Dundee.

32 anon July 28, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Zorph,
might your Belgian Malinois be named Ben? and trained to attack?

33 Silva July 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Oh no Viking Princess, we don’t really want to go there. Spillage from POLITICS thread.

We’ve had a machete by the front door for decades.

34 PhilthyPHRESH July 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I agree with 30. All except for our leaders were falsely elected.

35 Beware July 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Police say its a Smart,Goodlooking,Debonaire. Watch out they are sneeky and slimy. Look for the big head and reddish neck.