PICTURE: Dog Ditched in Hot Car While Owners Shop at Costco – Cops Respond

July 27, 2014 · 91 comments

dog_car

Unfortunately, we’re seeing this almost everyday, and it’s really unacceptable.

Here’s the latest story from an anonymous Claycordian….

I saw this dog on Saturday around 5:30 pm. I spoke with employees at Costco & they were no help. I was told by one of the employees that this was the second dog in a car on Saturday. I called the Concord Police & they came out within 10 minutes. The officer saw the door was unlocked & he opened the door & left it open. The officer was kind enough to stay & wait to see the owner. I asked if the owner would get a ticket. The officer said it depends how long he/she is gone. I told the officer it’s already been 20 minutes & counting.

Can you please remind everyone not to leave animals in the car.

Reminded, again.

Thanks for what you did to save the dog. At this time, it is unknown if the man/woman was ticketed for leaving the dog in the vehicle.

1 Probably not July 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM

I’m sure nothing happened even though this is clearly attempted murder. They bring out an animal control specialist to “Educate” the owner. It’s also called the easy way out. I believe if you call CPS for something similar to a child they will throw your ass in jail uckF education!

2 Bubba94521 July 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM

This is animal abuse. Period. Hopefully CPD stepped up to the plate and wrote a ticket. They should have confiscated the dog.

3 Peanut Gallery July 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM

You can’t fix stupid!

4 woof July 27, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Maybe the owners as well as the dogs should have to have licenses. Pass a written test like at the DMV. Demonstrate basic proficiency in animal husbandry.
…somewhere in the distance Susan Bonilla is heard to cry, “I’m on it!”

5 Chevelle girl July 27, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Costco is not a place where you are in and out in a couple minutes. Even if it was, this is so wrong! Wake up people, leave your dog at home on hot days! People who do this should be subjected to the same treatment, wait in the car and let the dog do the shopping.

6 Rita Howe July 27, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Are these people crazy? Fine them and make this a misdemeanor and 1 night in jail. Leaving your child in the hot car no matter how long is child endangerment. Leaving animals in the caris animal cruelty.

7 kandie July 27, 2014 at 8:46 AM

They should have gotten a ticket. I never take my dog if I know I will be stopping off somewhere!! Idiots! What’s wrong with people? Like the woman who left her 5 week old in the car to go shopping at Wal-Mart!!

8 @Bubba94521, #2------You want the animal "confiscated"? Sent to the pound and euthanized. Great choice. Jerk!! July 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM

9 Silva July 27, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Unbelievable.

Thank you Claycord.com for your many attempts to educate the public.

10 sam July 27, 2014 at 9:03 AM

this is a criminal offense and 911 should be dialed immediately. in the time you spend walking around attempting to find the owner, the police could have already arrived on scene; also every minute that passes puts the trapped pet and/or child’s life in increasing danger, of suffering irreparible damage. i do not understand why so many people hesitate to immediately call “911” police emergency; this is a criminal situation.

11 DMZ July 27, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I just DON’T understand in this day and age.
WHY?????

12 Anon 2 July 27, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Thank goodness for another Good Samaritan. What is wrong with people? We are seeing this on nearly a daily basis.
We need tougher laws on the books for people who leave kids or dogs in their car. Then their names should be published in the paper. Hopefully that would make people think twice.

13 Edie July 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM

It doesn’t matter how long the dog is in the car alone. The responsible person should be fined big bucks. Thank you for saving the poort helpless dog.

14 ANNONeeemoose July 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

There should be no “warning” on this. And on days over 80, there should be no minimum time being away. It should be an instant ticket and fine. If the public got wind of how ‘serious’ CPD and other local jurisdictions took this, MAYBE this would stop. Who does this??? What kind of idiot goes shopping when it’s 100 degrees out with their dog in the car?!?!?!?!?!??!?! Does anyone know this person and can explain their IQ or their disconnect or lack of compassion that allows them to think this is ok?

15 Evie Cunningham July 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Why do people put their dogs in the car on a hot day in the first place? Nothing horrible will happen to our pets if we LEAVE THEM HOME on hot days!!!

16 green July 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM

blah blah blah

dogs left in cars, dogs walking on hot pavement, blah blah blah. who cares? they’re dogs. this blog should be renamed the dog blog.

17 foonman July 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I fail to understand this lack of remembering seventh grade science about temperature and compressed heat. Maybe they don’t teach science or history anymore. My temptation to slap their hair straight would be overwhelming. The penalty should be to make the owner sit in a seventh grade science class when temp and heat are instructed and make them pass a test at end or they have to take the class again…….sitting with seventh graders should bring the point home…….secondly, a dark colored car will heat up much faster than a light colored car, but at 100 degrees it wont make much difference. It just ticks me off…….people do this.

18 It would be really interesting to July 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM

find out of the people who leave children and animals in cars, what their political affiliation would be. Their may be no correlation, but it would be an interesting study.

19 TinFoiler July 27, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Why the F…… Can’t the dog just stay home ~ Or could they not find a “Dog Sitter”??? I guess dogs these days can’t make it without the “help” of self-entitled ‘Earthlings’. Me, Me, Me, I, I, I.
Where can I donate to Put one of these MORONS photos on a Billboard….

20 Tom July 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Thankfully, the dog is okay.

You have to get to these irresponsible people before they turn out like this. If you take the dog away, they’ll just go out and get another one. If you fine them, they probably won’t pay the fine.

Very sad.

21 Claytonista July 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM

That’s disappointing that Costco wouldn’t do anything about it. They should have called out on the loudspeaker. Any store would announce it on the speaker if someone left their headlights on. Why not for a dog left in a hot car???

22 Solution July 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Stop whining everyone. Break the window, move on. No need for cops.

23 Dr. Jellyfinger® July 27, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Anytime this happens passersby should vandalize the car with mustard & relish. People will get the message & stop leaving the dogs in the hot cars for fear of being condimented. Stupid, but effective.

24 anonanonagain July 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM

If this person were told to stay in the hot car with the windows almost all the way up while someone went shopping, they would have balked!!! I cannot fathom how anyone cannot understand this. People should have their photo taken and posted on a site or huge billboard by the freeway for all to see and have their pet/child removed permanently……

25 Blink July 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM

People NEED dogs for their emotional support, but the truth is to have the care of any animal or child you should be concerned about their safety first.

Thank you for caring enough to get involved…maybe CPD is limited but on being confronted by uniform they may be reformed in their thinking and care of the little dog.

And if it was confiscated it would be better than dying in boiling heat…

26 Greg July 27, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Hot dogs.

Get your hot dogs here, at Claycord.com.

27 Nani July 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Leave it home!

70% of the people that own dogs are mean ,cruel and abusive and don’t know how to care for them.I feel sobad for those doggies!

28 furious! July 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM

BEFORE HUMANS ARE ALLOWED TO OWN DOGS THEY SHOULD HAVE TO TAKE A COURSE OF CLASSES IN THE CARE AND FEEDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and get a license.

29 Anon July 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Human beings starving, and you all get over done by how people who clearly don’t and won’t care about dogs. Ever wonder wonder if those same people have children, or don’t you care as much about child abuse?

30 Kenny July 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Good job for calling the police! Stupid person who left the dog in the car should never be allowed to own a pet.

31 mb July 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM

shaking my head….unbelievable! To bad the cop couldn’t make the owner sit in the car for 20 minutes and see how they like it.

32 Rebeler July 27, 2014 at 1:01 PM

If you’re only going to lock your dog in a car, why bring them! All dog owners should have licenses anyway.

33 VikingPrincess July 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Businesses that place signs indicating that leaving unattended children or animals on their property will be handled with full extent of the law, automobile impounded and not allowed back on the premesis will get my business!

34 Shelly July 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM

#23, FANTASTIC idea! Nobody needs 10 years worth of that stuff anyway. Probably should leave a note explaining why though.

35 PhilthyPHRESH July 27, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Great job revealing this kind of crap. People commenting about the people taking pictures, saying instead of pics, do something about it, be quiet. Guess what, ignoramuses, these people are doing something about it. ! They post these stories on a recognized website, that has a bigger following than just Claycord.

36 Captain Bebops July 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Money opportunity here in solar powered car coolers.

37 Antler July 27, 2014 at 2:04 PM

#21…. I concur that Costco is extremely co-operative.

One time on a rainy day, I took down the color, make, and license plate number of a older car with headlights left on (not knowledgeable about such things, I didn’t know whether its headlights were on a timer shut-off or not). I stopped at the customer service desk….just walked past the line and loudly asked “public address system request, please?”, and they were ON it.

Second experience I previously wrote about on here. It had gotten dark while I was inside Costco. I put my purchases in the car and…foolishly neglecting to lock my car while I walked just across the driveway and a few feet up to return the cart…. I turned to see a woman reaching toward the driver’s door of my car. Also foolishly, I had flung my purse with my LIFE in it, so to speak, onto the passenger side front bucket seat. But I still had my keys in hand! I hit the lock-all button and then the alarm button. My beloved Brünhilda went into her full-fledged Broadway-stage vocal performance, which caused the woman to duck and crouch-run away toward the west fence of the lot. So I did the customer service routine again, and without hesitation they put out the announcement that a thief had been seen checking car doors in the parking lot and that customers were welcome to request security escort to their cars.

Just a side note re my surprising the would-be thief. I did not call 911 because there was no longer a “crime in progress” emergency situation. But every time I have EVER called CPD, they have responded quickly.

Maybe we should turn that huge spread of open land bordered by Costco’s parking lot, a Monument Boulevard shopping center, and Oak Grove Road into a drill field for Concord Blue Devils, K-9 training, Marine Corps Fitness training grounds, track ovals, physical fitness stations….. I dunno, what else could be done to keep the premises busy with GOOD activity day and night?

38 Can someone clarify what Costco couldn' do, wouldn't do or refused to do..?? July 27, 2014 at 2:35 PM

It’s their parking lot, and they are liable for criminal acts performed there, especially if they have been notified.

Also, what if the maggot doesn’t come out in 20 or 30 minutes, and the cop gets another call..??

Lots of unanswered questions here.

39 Linzer Torte July 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM

@green #16, the answer to your question is, “obviously a lot of people”.

@anon #29, is this a story about a child being abused? No, in fact, it is not. We are talking about a victimized dog, not a child. Ergo, there is no need for us to state our opinions on the mistreatment of children. Of course the majority of people are horrified by the idea of innocent little ones being abused, we just aren’t discussing it here, as this is not the best forum for that specific topic. It doesn’t make us any less sensitive or unaware.

40 John H. July 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

in cases like this, they should take the human owner and leave it in a sauna for 2 hours and call it even..

41 VikingPrincess July 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM

#40
Sauna?
More like an airtight oven. Its almost 100 degrees outside.

42 Concorddad July 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Costco is at least 30 minutes to do anything!! What is with all the idiots out there!! The cop shouldn’t of said depends on anything! That should be a ticket period! Worthless cop!! If it was a kid would it of been depends on how long?

43 anon July 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM

#16 is an idiot.

44 sam July 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Putting any life in dire straits and/or jeopardy is a criminal offense, ie, criminal neglect and/or criminal abuse: IMMEDIATELY CALL 911; if the on sight police officer is indifferent to exercising the full weight of the law in any criminal matter, document the time you call 911 dispatch, get the case number, get the on sight, police officer’s name and badge number, then send this information along to the police chief and also, the mayor and all the members of the city council.

45 Randy July 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Someone call that moron JustMe from the other dog in car post.
Apparently that ratchet mess has a hammer in her car and will be happy to bust out the windows.

And why are we surprised the police do nothing about this? They don’t even want to answer burglar alarm calls.

Is that photo of a pitbull?
If yes, leave it in the car and walk away.

46 Stupid People July 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I want to hurt this sick person real bad. behavior like this should be illegal and reported to authorities. no different to me than leaving a baby or child in a hot car. people suck.

47 @green (aka retard) July 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I think someone needs to lock you up in a hot car in the mohave desert tied up in straight jacket.

I would gladly trade your worthless life for that of a dog’s.

48 green July 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I just saw a child in a car seat by itself in a running car with the windows closed in Pinole.

Did I call police? No, because it’s none of my business. I ignored it and went about my business.

So if people want to leave their dogs or kids in the car, so what?

BTW, it is nice and cool in Pinole, very windy.

49 Owl Lady July 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM

@green – what exactly are you trying to achieve here? do you want us to see that you are so big and tough that you don’t care about such insidious acts such as dogs locked in cars, left to die? or, are you just some miserable excuse for a human being with absolutely no life, simply looking for attention? In any event, you have succeeded at one thing today…the majority of Concordians who read this believe you are a total ass. Good job!!

50 green July 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM

#47:

your stupid love of dogs made me laugh. a dog is property, nothing more.

51 Lady Penelope..... July 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM

@ Green, you are probably a troll trying desperately to get a reaction for your stupid comment. You saw a child by itself with the car running and you went about your business?? What is your business? Being an insensitive, uncaring fool? That car could have been stolen with the child in it. But then again you don’t care, that is obvious. What is also very obvious is that you are an @$$ wipe…..

52 Mika July 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I am very disappointed with Costco’s lack of support. Inept staff, managers with no balls?

53 SilencePlease July 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM

green X furian ???? Same old troll. Same old jack***.

54 furian July 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM

@53,

Green is not me but thanks for playing.

I post as me, I don’t need a puppet.

And that’s no HOOT!

55 Monkey July 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM

This idiot is the best advertisement for abortion

56 Puddintain July 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Don’t feed the troll.

57 anon July 27, 2014 at 10:15 PM

cpd,
please come down hard on these people. People that do this need to know there will be real consequences. The harder you come down on them for the the less we’ll see of it.

58 anon July 27, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Costco,
SHAME ON YOU!
At least Safeway will make an announcement.
SHAME ON YOU!
SHAME ON YOU!

59 anon July 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Please email Costco as to your feelings on them doing nothing.

60 I agree with Dr. Jellyfinger #23 July 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Although I’ve always thought he has a couple of screws loose I have to agree with him on this one. You’ve got a hot dog. Dress the car with mustard and relish. People will get the message. :)

61 dog owner July 28, 2014 at 7:29 AM

I own dogs and each has their own job. My truck dog is just that. She stays in the truck (hot days cold days) and she does her job. Open my door she will bite, stick your hand in the window while saying how cute she is and she will bite your hand. Everybody needs to start minding their own business.

62 Dr. Jellyfinger® July 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM

My critics should take note! Even sane people are beginning to agree with me.

63 Puddintain July 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM

#62, That’s a bit of a stretch.

64 Shay July 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM

This little dog looks to also have a service dog vest on?? !! Since some people are so dumb and careless with babies, children and dogs. Maybe they should be forced by laws to take classes, take a test get a license by the State if brought up on charges for neglect that can or does cause death or physical harm! Before they can have a child or dog in their care unsupervised! After jail time and a fine! Post their picture and name in news. Maybe that will force them to use compassion and their brains!

65 Suzanne July 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Wow, all this about dogs. I keep my dogs well trained, should anyone come near my house they will lose an ankle. But mine are trained service dogs and they already have the cute vests. I put sweaters on them in the winter.

66 @61 dog owner July 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM

“My truck dog is just that. She stays in the truck (hot days cold days) and she does her job.” – what the hell is that suppose to mean???? are you saying that it is justifiable to leave a dog in the truck in 100 degree heat, and let her suffer?? People like you should NEVER own dogs.

If i saw your dog suffering in a hot truck, i may not reach in but i would definately call the cops on your a$$ along with animal shelter.

67 tired of taxes July 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I know it is illegal to leave a toddler alone in the car no matter what the temperature outside.
So it is illegal to leave a dog in the car on a hot day but not on a cold day?

Also, it is perfectly legal to have a dog unbuckled in a moving car and have them stick their head out a window but a passenger (of age) would get a ticket if they don’t wear their seatbelt?

I’ve even seen drivers who had their little dogs on their lap while they drive. Some dogs tamely sit there quietly, others are up and about front paws on the driver’s side window sometimes.

And dogs can ride in the back of a pickup truck but a person would get a ticket if cops caught them doing the same.

68 Suzanne July 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Part of it was cut off…..when I take my dogs out, I may leave them in the car to get groceries or even take-out. Leaving them for a few moments in the car is not cruelty to animals. Some folks just want to be nosy. Leaving a dog on a leash at newhall park, (the claycord story), just because you can’t take care of it is cruelty to animals.

69 Blue Fan July 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM

The guy was probably picking up dinner. In and out in a few minutes. Bunch of self righteous busybodies who don’t know or care about the whole story making stuff up. Get a life.

70 sam July 28, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Every year, infants and pets are left to die a slow and agonizing death from exposure, trapped in vehicles. Never hesitate to immediately dial “911” police emergency, whenever lives, human and/or our animal friends, may be in jeopardy. When you immediately call the police, THEN YOU HAVE TAKEN THE CORRECT COURSE OF ACTION, as all criminal matters, even potential criminal matters, warrant immediate police intervention and investigation.

71 Cowellian July 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM

20 minutes and counting isn’t the same as in and out in just a few minutes.

72 Nutcreek Frontier July 28, 2014 at 3:03 PM

For all these people, who think it is OK to leave your dog in a hot car for a few minutes, do a simple experiment and park your car in the sun without AC with the windows rolled up and see how long you last…also keep in mind, you don’t have a fur coat on. It might help you to see if differently.

73 Princess21 July 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I wonder when people like this will learn to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS!!!! I mean seriously people if its NOT your issue DONT worry about it..20 minutes???? PLEASE.. This is how people end up getting hurt by NOT minding.. SMH sad how people will get involved over this type of stuff that has nothing to do with them yet if they see someone being harrased, robbed or beat up on the street they dont get involved…

74 Tom July 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I believe in minding your own business, but not when it comes to leaving a child or an animal in the car. Irresponsible mindsets like that are the reason society is so screwed up. Lousy parenting?

All it takes is a minute or two, but responsible people already know that. Unbelievable!

75 Linzer Torte July 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM

@Suzanne, I’m confused…your dogs are service dogs, but they will bite off someone’s ankle if they come near your home? Doesn’t sound like a very safe service dog to me…

@Princess21, people get hurt because they try to do the right thing, and unfortunately, sometimes the people being intervened upon are thugs who don’t know how to deal with conflict in any other way than to assault someone. It should ALWAYS be everyone’s business to step in when they witness something like this (or a robbery, harassment, beating, what-have-you). It is everyone’s business.

76 Michelle July 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

People like this really need to go to meetings to get the help they need to keep this from occurring over and over.

77 Atticus Thraxx July 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I call bull hockey. First, service dogs, trained service dogs don’t bite. Even I know that.
Second, why would you need more than one?
Third, if your not tapping a stick along the sidewalk or haven’t been mauled in a war or something, it’s not really a service dog, it’s a narcissism enabler, no matter what you have your doctor believing.

78 Suzanne July 28, 2014 at 9:10 PM

@Linzer Torte
It’s a well known fact that many people like to take advantage of the disabled. Sad as this is, it is a fact. My service dogs bite.

79 Linzer Torte July 29, 2014 at 12:23 PM

@Atticus Thraxx, that was very well stated.

80 a.no.no July 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM

@ green&princess21. Run dong walk to the closest sterilization clinic. God forbid we have any of your offspring on this earth

81 DogLover July 31, 2014 at 6:30 AM

I can’t get out much, and my dog LOVES car rides, so I take him with me on short trips to give him needed and enjoyable change of scenery. And yes, he waits in the car while I am taking care of business. I’ve had police called when it was close to 6 pm, it was 80 degrees, and the car parked in the shade. When I went to my car, there were 5 fireman, and 2 police cars staring at my perky dog in my car. The car windows weren’t cracked because I left the car cold from AC, and closed windows keep the cold in. When I opened the door to get my dog, the officers could see that it was, as I expected, still colder in my car than it was outside, in the shade. My dog was perky and obviously not in distress. I understand calling, if the animal appears to be in distress; but some people are also nosy, self-righteous and drama seeking, posting cars and license plates pics on their Facebook pages and spewing hate toward loving and responsible pet owners. While some calls are clearly indicated, please, animal lovers, use your common sense filters before utilizing police and fireman, and harassing responsible pet owners that want their pet to continue to enjoy car rides. Often times, the pet owner really does know best.

82 Blue Fan July 31, 2014 at 8:37 AM

@Doglover: Good post.
…”nosy, self-righteous and drama seeking”… that’s how I see it too.

“Often times, the pet owner really does know best.”
I’d make that “most times”, at least 999 times out of 1000. To jump to the other conclusion is “…drama seeking”. There must be a name for that syndrome.

83 sam July 31, 2014 at 7:42 PM

to DogLover #81 : 5 fireman and 2 police cars: if you would be so kind as to provide the case # for this incident, the State, City and Date in which this incident occurred. This incident for which you are professing may be entirely truthful and accurate. but then again, there are a vast number of cases, where people have recklessly left their pet or child in a car to suffer and or die and agonizing death from exposure. As you mentioned, you parked your car in the shade, but as the sun and earth continue to move, next thing you know, your car is in the sun. If you honestly valued all life as much as you value your own, you would not so flippantly disregard the posts from people, whose only desire is to stalwartly safeguard all the lives of those, ie, children, pets, wildlife, that can’t protect themelves. If there is an incident, where a life may be in imminent danger of harm, I will always dial 911 and report my concern to the police, they are the professionals, it is there job, it is there slogan, “preserve and protect”; as I will always trust in their professional advice.

84 DogLover August 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM

There was nothing “flippant” about my post, nor did I disregard important, relevant content, or the readers offering correct information, without sounding highly judgmental and critical of all people that leave their animals in the car during outings. In fact, I actually confirmed the need for calling, in certain circumstances- with the recommendation that, of course, reasonable discretion be utilized before summoning vital public resources (police and fire departments) when you don’t know the whole picture. especially during rush hour at a busy metropolitan area when many accidents occur, and the temperature is dropping and the sun is setting behind the mountain foothills. And yes, in a state where having an animal in a car is NOT against the law, there should be some pretty reasonable indication that the animal is either in distress or in a situation where there is a clear and imminent threat to the animal’s life. But that sounds like what you said, so I don’t understand your point. Any responsible citizen who is calling for all the right reasons should not interpret my remarks as flippant. or snarky, or in any way mean spirited.. Responsible, well-meaning citizens who call the police when they see a dog in a car, should welcome this information. You are, after all, inserting yourself into a situation , in which you don’t know the whole picture, and you may be wrong, as was the person who called the police on me – a loving and responsible pet owner, on behalf of my pet.

There is nothing flippant in my pointing out the number of demonstrations of hostility that I have personally witnessed by people in Facebook. The ones that take pictures of lively, alert-looking animals in cars, take photos of the vehicle and license plate, and say hateful remarks about “stupid” owners that they hate, and without providing any pertinent information indicating that they used any discretion, and go on about how they saved the poor dog. I did not characterize all people that call as being that way. Nor would I ever do so. To address your comment about specifics, By 6 pm, the risk of a car heating at 80 degrees, in the shade, is reportedly significantly reduced. And in my case, when the tree was shading the car from the west, movement of the sun would not/did not pose any risk of exposing the car to the sun. This is what I meant (and I do agree with Blue Fan) that despite the tragic situations where animals die, due to cruel, reckless, irresponsible owners, I suspect that most owners know best. Like I knew my vehicle would still be cold.and like I knew the car would not get exposed to the sun, etc.

I was not given anything by the policemen because they assured me that it was no problem at all. If I had the case number, though, I certainly would not provide it to strangers over the internet. But I don’t have a case number. It’s your choice whether to believe me or not. If this is about any constructive communication, then I don’t see where we are not on the same page. Peace out.

85 DogLover August 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM

And I should mention that I would certainly be open-minded to the possibility of calling the police if I saw in animal that was clearly in either present or imminent danger from heat, while alone in a parked car. However, I would be very cautious, and take every effort to use thoughtful discretion, before calling the police on the owner, on behalf of the animal.

86 sam August 1, 2014 at 10:09 PM

to doglover: your response is very concise and emotionally composed, thank you. Yes, you are very correct, there are those, who will, before due process, immediately demonize people, “at the drop of a hat”; discretion, tact, levity and restraint are always the most positive of tools to employ in dealing with the majority of situations, ie, when I see a child standing up in a grocery cart, for concern for the child’s welfare, I will always, with a great deal of tact, mind you, just make mention to the parent and child “to be careful as the child may fall and get badly hurt”, if the parent is not there, for fear that the child could fall, I will immediately advise the child to sit down, while in the grocery cart. I ask myself what I would do, if I came upon a child or any animal in potential danger and let me stress, the operative word here is “potential” danger … i would still call 911, MERELY TO REPORT the incident, as it is a potential tragedy in the making, then I would ardently follow police dispatch’s professional advise. In the defense of innocent lives that may be in “potential” danger, I will always operate on the side of caution and call 911, “just to be on the safe side”.

87 Marianne August 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I’m just glad the pooch is ok.

88 DogLover August 2, 2014 at 6:27 AM

Thanks, Sam. I am not at all beyond correction. When I drove a little above the speed limit on a residential street, a mother was out there to stop cars to tell people that there are children driving too fast. I readily agreed with her, acknowledged her concern, and apologized And told her I’d try to be more careful. She looked at me like she was surprised and was speechless. Both sides to this argument have vaid concerns, but I do want to say that if everyone calls just to check, it ends up being harrassment, so to really use discretion, I got pulled out of a very expensive, closely timed, extremely important 15 appt. that I got pulled out of to deal with this. This was the worst possible timing, and it was an unnecessary intrusion on my life. The police were very kind and sympathetic to the situation. Both “sides” should be thoughtful and caring, about the animals and the other people potentially involved. Thanks for the constructive exchange.

89 DogLover August 2, 2014 at 6:55 AM

PS and for the extremist people who say that they call no matter what, amd that anyone who leaves an animal in a car is a terrible person (I have read this on other sources) it’s easy to find out who you are and how to track you down, Peace.

90 DogLover August 2, 2014 at 7:29 AM

I should clarify that the above is an FYI tip to extremists or ill-intentioned people with an ax to grind. I’ve read some pretty angry and hostile stuff from people on this issue; so, to THOSE people, I’ll refer back to the same stuff we learned in kindergarten, be nice, and considerate to others. Don’t flirt with trouble. Peace.

91 Seriously?!?! August 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM

What exactly could a Costco employee do that another person couldn’t do? If you saw the dog, call the police instead of wasting precious time looking for an employee that is at their place of employment and has to follow rules. Also #21.. Loud speaker? Have you ever heard a loud speaker at costco? Me neither.. Because there isn’t one. Call the police and get it done instead of expecting someone else to take care of it.