Column: The Garden Girl – Privacy Installation & Fence Cover

July 27, 2014 16:47 pm · 9 comments

garden

Pittosporum tenuifolium ‘Silver Sheen’ is an excellent privacy installation, or fence cover. ‘Silver Sheen’ for short, is evergreen and does extremely well in our Claycord soils and climate. It is fast growing and attractive making it a very desirable installation for local landscapes and gardens.

As ‘Silver Sheen’ matures it can reach heights of 10-12’tall and 6’ wide. Tiny olive green leaves line dark purplish stems. The overall appearance of ‘Silver Sheen’ is graceful, with fine texture, which adds lots of interest to a landscape.

‘Silver Sheen’ can be pruned or hedged to shape. The tiny leaves make it very desirable to prune since it won’t show brown leaf cuts like other broad leafed shrubs that are pruned.

Install ‘Silver Sheen’ in full to partial sun. It will need at least 6 hours of direct sun to grow straight. Soil condition isn’t a problem. Whether you are planting in clay or rocky soil, ‘Silver Sheen’ will adjust and thrive. It is also a nice consideration for a large planter.

‘Silver Sheen’ will need regular water to establish after installation. Once mature, ‘Silver Sheen’ becomes more water-wise.

All of the members of the Pittosporum family make fabulous landscape installations. They share similar attributes that will make them distinguish additions to any Claycord yard.

Happy Gardening!

Nicole Hackett is the Garden Girl at R&M Pool, Patio and Gardens, located at 6780 Marsh Creek Road in Clayton, 925-672-0207.

Nicole writes for the Clayton Pioneer Newspaper, and Claycord.com. She is also the Clayton Valley Garden Club 2012 President.

1 kelly July 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Love the Garden Girl column.

Thank you for the tips Nicole.

2 Cherrywood July 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Hi Nicole. Can I send send you a picture of something that started growing in my yard? Not sure what it is.

3 Bob July 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I have two Crepe Myrtles trees and they are the run of the mill lavender color–while they are pretty, my neighbor has one that is a deep, deep red and very beautiful–is there a name for the one that is that color or is it the luck of the draw when you buy one? ((love your column)

4 Marissa July 27, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I absolutely love foliage like these, keeps the nosy neighbors to a minimum nosy.

5 Mimi (original) July 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Is this plant animal safe? I’d like to plant this in my backyard, but have 3 dogs to consider. Thank you.

6 Silva July 28, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Bob, They are labled as to color when you buy them. I LOVE the lilac colored ones. I think the redest I’ve seen is called watermelon(?).

7 Suzanne July 28, 2014 at 1:07 PM

This is a wonderful idea, covering for privacy. I think I will grow this along my fence, I had some morning glories, but for some reason they kept dying; I ended up pulling them out by their roots.

8 SpiritDog July 28, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I’m desperate for Meyers Lemons. Does anyone know where I might get some? Thanks.

9 milly July 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I have been looking for a shrub for screening,to cover 50 ft by 8 ft..How far apart should i plant Silver Sheen ? How long do they take to grow 6–8 ft ?? Thanks for sharing ,I look forward to your tips every Sunday..