Spare the Air Alert Issued for the Friday in the San Francisco Bay Area

July 24, 2014 · 24 comments

spare

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District has issued a Spare the Air alert for Friday, when possible triple-digit temperatures and low winds are expected to create unhealthy pollution in the region.

The alert, the sixth issued during the summer season and the first since June 9, is prompted by high levels of ozone pollution expected in the Bay Area on Friday, air district officials said.

Temperatures could reach as high as 104 degrees in the East Bay on Friday, according to the National Weather Service.

The air district encourages Bay Area residents to drive less, particularly on Spare the Air days, since heat, low wind and vehicle exhaust can combine to cause breathing problems, particularly for the young, seniors and those with respiratory or heart conditions.

“Using alternative commutes instead of driving alone to work or school not only helps to reduce air pollution and traffic congestion, it can also save money and reduce stress,” air district executive officer Jack Broadbent said in a statement.

Bay Area residents can find out when Spare the Air alerts are in effect by calling (800) HELP-AIR, registering at www.sparetheair.org to receive alerts or connecting with Spare the Air on Facebook or Twitter.

1 Mike T July 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM

So in the summer, the BAAQC “encourages” people to follow their stupid guidlines, but in the winter, if I have a fire to warm my home, I get fined! Get rid of this useless group….

2 We need rain July 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I promise not to burn a fire in my fireplace tomorrow …

3 Anon July 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Hot weather is beer weather, more drunks on the road.

4 Julio July 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Sorry Mike but if anyone in your family had COPD or any of the many lung diseases you wouldn’t be such a troll. It is heart breaking to watch.

5 @ Julio,#4-------with Mike, some people are selfish and think only of themself July 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM

That’s why our country is in the deplorable shape its in today; everyone wants only for themself and aren’t willing to consider the needs of others. Sad.

6 Rollo Tomasi July 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM

@Julio

Both my kids are moderately to severely asthmatic, depending on conditions. Never once have we asked anyone to adjust their lifestyle to make their lives easier. Its our problem, and we deal with it accordingly.

7 Atticus Thraxx July 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I don’t much like you Rollo but I’m sorry about your kids. That’s a tough deal for young-uns if it’s severe. Seeing kids we’ve known grow up with it, is why we don’t run a fireplace anymore. I could not imagine attacks that left me struggling for every breath, don’t want to cause it in another.

8 Enough July 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Bay Area has reached it’s people limit.
Stop building new residences.

9 Silva July 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM

#6, You must be such a great dad!

10 Rollo Tomasi July 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

@ #7:

Duly noted. I don’t know you and have no opinion of you. My kids neither need nor want your sympathy.

11 Atticus Thraxx July 24, 2014 at 8:46 PM

More like empathy, but as you said, duly noted.

12 Mike T July 24, 2014 at 9:45 PM

@ Julio, # 4…Heart breaking.. Tell ya what, heart breaking to me is a single mom working two jobs and still getting her kids to soccer even though their dad is a POS, Heart breaking is my son who was blown in half in Afghanistan trying to get his life back to some type of normal, heart breaking is watching my daughter trying to deal with a great son with sever autism, etc. So take your troll comments and stick it.. I’m fairly sure you can deal with the COPD..

13 @Mike T July 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM

So with all your problems, I’d think you’d be a little more sympathetic to others with problems. But I guess you went the other way.

14 Tom July 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I respect Spare the Air days out of common courtesy for others, especially the elderly and young children with breathing problems.

I see no need to have a fireplace going in the winter. This is CA, not Alaska. But even if we did, I’d turn the heater on and run up the bill before I put others at risk.

15 I applaud Mike T July 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM

For being responsible enough to deal with his own problems not wanting help from the gov’t. Good luck Sir. Too bad libtards like those who run CA, and the BAAQMD, and those like Tom and Atticus who constantly vote for them, have ruined this state.

But just to be fair I won’t burn logs in the fireplace today either.

16 PhilthyPHRESH July 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM

What happened to free BART?

17 Pyrrhus July 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM

@15 Congratulations! you’re the idiot that brings politics into the equation. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no lover of either major political party, but you come off as the stereotypical SNL version of a Fox viewer.

Do people really get so cold that they have to heat their house all the time in the winter? We live in one of the most moderate climates in the world and you mostly just need a sweatshirt and sweat pants and a warm blanket to stay warm at night. Also, in many cases wood burning isn’t saving you any money as it is terribly inefficent as compared to central heating. Of course, it all depends on how big your house is and what you are using to burn the wood. (Stove vs open fireplace.) Don’t take my word for it, this site explains it and has a link to a calculator. http://realtytimes.com/consumeradvice/homeownersadvice1/item/9205-20051216_firewood

18 mutts July 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Can I report leaf blowers that are being used, today, Friday? After watching them go over the same area time and again, I see they aren’t a time saver. Sometimes there are 2, dirty and noisy. Rakes and brooms worked for years.

19 @ mutts July 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

a great many of the gardeners and lawn maintenance people are “New Americans and therefore untouchable.

Be careful, you could be deemed a racist and be sent to jail for life.

20 Anon July 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM

They blow the leaves into the street, they should make a pile and pick them up.

21 what July 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Good day to smoke salmon.

22 Chalkboy8 July 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Salmon smoking is only legal in Washington and Colorado.

23 just a concordian July 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM

What? No chicken sandwiches to politically bash today so we’re moving on to AIR???

Really people… do you truly believe the crap you’re spilling out or is it the “A-hole of the day” contest?

24 @Phyrrus July 25, 2014 at 7:05 PM

You are correct for an open fireplace, as you stated, but don’t ignore that a good EPA certified wood stove or insert is much cheaper to heat your house than natural gas or propane- and especially cheaper than electricity (even a heat pump is expensive at $.35/kWh). Like anything, there’s no magic bullet. It’s incredibly wasteful to be shoveling wood into a stove, when your house leaks everywhere. Insulation is great bang-for-the-buck. Plug California energy rates into those cost calculators and all of a sudden wood starts looking pretty good. Not to mention it’s sustainable and would create just as much CO2 if it decayed on the ground, as if you burned it. I use mostly standing, dead trees myself anyway. People that smolder bad wood in an open fireplace, yes, please stop.