REMINDER: Don’t Walk Your Dog on the Hot Asphalt

July 24, 2014 · 41 comments

dog

Would you like to walk barefoot on the hot asphalt when it’s over 100-degrees out?

This is a good message from a Claycordian, who wants to remind all of us that if it’s in the 90s or the 100s outside, keep your dog inside.

“Can you inform some of these oblivious people to not walk their dogs when the ground is hot like this! I saw three ladies walking there dogs while it’s 90 something out. Those dogs are barefoot mind you. Take it in the morning or evening. If you miss both don’t make ‘em suffer.”

Great reminder, thanks!

1 Atticus Thraxx July 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Dogs may be more loyal and useful, but you never have to worry about this with cats.

2 Second that Emotion July 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

As a former full-time dog walker, I agree that there are days where dogs should not be made to walk on asphalt–even paved trails–unless there is shade all day in that location. It can be a challenge to find a nice cool spot to take Fido when you don’t have the option to change your walk time, but it can be done.

3 Marianne July 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM

At your local pet mart, there are shoes for dogs to wear. They may be uncomfortable, but it helps their feet. Make sure you wash them because they get filthy with a lot of Crap that you don’t want in your house.

4 Those doggies aren't off-leash, are they? For shame. July 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Unless that’s an area where being on-leash isn’t required.

5 Chester E. Kitty July 24, 2014 at 8:18 PM

This is a great reminder! I once took my GSD on a walk in really hot weather and when I got home, his paws were almost raw! I felt awful! I really had no idea that would happen. I’m actually a pretty smart person but when it came to that … I was pretty ignorant! Thanks for the reminder!

6 I'mJustSayin' July 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM

“Can you inform some of these oblivious people…”

You know, that could have been said like ‘Can you remind everyone…’ and you wouldn’t have sounded like a self-righteous old coot.

7 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire July 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM

LOL@dog shoes!!

8 Big Red July 24, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Last time I checked dogs don’t have feet.

9 Big Red July 24, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Paws. Much more forgiving than feet.

10 furian July 24, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Just leave the dogs in the car while you go for a walk.

Problem solved.

11 Amy July 24, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I saw a blind person with a guide dog walking on the concrete when the temperature was over 100 degrees and I was very upset. It changed the way I feel about guide dogs.. Of course, the people who I hope read this post are blind. LOL

12 Rufus Thomas July 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Walking the dog
Just a walking the dog
If you don’t know how to do it
Show you how to walk the dog!

13 Schmee July 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Dogs who are regularly run have stronger pads then dogs who are just “walked”. My dog runs on the street after my electric scooter and on dirt and rocks when we camp. She can handle more then some indoor poochie.

I walked her today the one block to the grass area we play fetch on and she didnt seem to be too hot (at least on the white colored side walk at 430pm).

14 Shelly July 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM

#4, I see blue leashes, and my eyes aren’t too good.

15 Anonymous July 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

While we’re at it, let’s remind people to not take their dogs to parks where they aren’t allowed. Keep them out of Todos Santos, especially on music nights, and quit lying about your dog being a service dog. No one puts a tutu on a service dog.

16 eyewhen July 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Shelly, damn right your eyes aren’t to good!!!

17 Marianne July 24, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Paws then…shoes for their paws. The pavement can be painful.

18 Russ July 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Just so we’re clear: this pic is not related to the story. If its hot, and the dog on the asphalt is too stupid to move to the grass like bus buddy, well that’s on him

19 Futurama July 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM
20 Iris Hill July 24, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Oh no, furian! Don’t leave a dog in a hot car!!

If you just must walk a dog in the heat, please carry water for the animal!

21 Antler July 24, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Soft leather boots are made to protect the pads on upland-game hunting dogs’ paws. They protect from burrs, thorns, icy rocks with jagged places, or burning hot rocky/sandy areas. One of the most punishing field courses was in the Red Rock area north of Reno. They had horse trough barrels full of water at intervals throughout area so the dogs could submerge themselves.

People who INSIST on walking dogs on pavement in extreme heat should carry a small water bowl and a canteen for the dog’s water. Also have a bandana to dip in the water and sop all over the top of the dog’s head at frequent intervals (whenever the hair looks dry again) so that it’s brain does not become too hot. Remember, a canine perspires ONLY through its paw pads and by panting; it quickly can become overheated and dehydrated. Please have the decency to delay your walk until there are shadows on the pavement!

22 waverunner July 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM

That’s another thing that bothers me – no visible sign of water when people are walking their dogs. I don’t get it – when so many people just HAVE TO HAVE their bottled water to drink, but somehow forget about their animals when on a walk.

23 @Shelly, #14-------Nope, I don't see a blue leash, and the person walking has hands in pockets, not holding leashes July 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM

24 TREX decks get real HOT July 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM

can actually fry an egg…..

25 lg July 24, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Same idea as leaving your dog or child in a hot car! try it and see how long you can take it. Go barefoot when it`s a 100 degrees out and see how it feels!!!! Common sense!!! If you don`t have it, then you should have neither children or pets!!!

26 Lolly Pop July 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM

If it is too hot on your feet to stand barefoot on the pavement then it probably is too hot for their paws as well. When the pads of a dog’s paw gets burnt it causes them to sluff off the thick protective callus on the bottom of the pad. Leaving a very raw and painful pad which takes time to heal. Often times the paw will need to be cleaned and bandaged for a couple days to prevent infection. Best to just skip the walk or change to a cooler time.

27 GreyGoose Caboose July 24, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Iris Hill: That is a nice thought but it really doesn’t do much to relieve burning paws unless you pour the water on their paws. And then you need enough to cool the ground beneath the paws too. Haven’t you ever stepped on the cement when it is hot out? You know like just long enough to run from the swimming pool to the house? It is soooooo hot sometimes it wouldn’t matter if you dumped a full 5 gallon bucket on the ground first it is still tooo hot.

28 Marianne July 24, 2014 at 11:26 PM

It does get hot…

29 Tom July 25, 2014 at 12:02 AM

I agree that 90-100 degrees is too hot to walk your dog. I walk our dogs daily, and when it’s too hot, I take them to the park and let them get exercise on the grass.

I’ve thought of keeping them in on hot days, but they grind me for the nightly walk. They’re in charge.

30 Shelly July 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Okay, I got it. It must be the wavy lines on my Cliq II again.

31 This is probably a stock photo..... July 25, 2014 at 5:20 AM

The Mayor provides a Public Service Announcement and all some of you can do is pick away with negative comments. Maybe the guy is walking the dogs on his own property on a 65 degree day.

32 Connie Dobbs July 25, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Came here for the comments about the photo. In your big ol’ hurry to judge others’ behavior, none of you dog lovers noticed: A) dude’s wearing long sleeves, and 2) the photo looks like it was taken in the early morning. You guys are a national treasure.

33 SK July 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Ha, ha, I was just thinking the same thing, Connie! Dude in the photo is not dressed for 100 degree weather.

34 FriendofSnoopy July 25, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Even dogs that have toughened up paw pads can get burned walking on super hot sidewalks or asphalt. Please think about it. It would be best to avoid walking dogs in the high temperatures. I saw a woman walking her dog in downtown WC yesterday. The dog was slightly limping–the limp could have nothing to do with burned feet, or it could have. It was about 90 out yesterday.

Years ago I walked my dogs in 80 degree weather. Both came home with blisters on their feet. They had pretty tough paw pads, but if it’s hot, dogs feet will get blistered. If I can’t put my barefoot down and walk comfortably on the sidewalk or in the street, I won’t walk my dogs on it either.

35 PhilthyPHRESH July 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM

My Dogs eat hot asphalt.

36 Call 911 and dognap the animal... July 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM

…it’s the Claycord way. Just check out how we advice dealing with kids sitting in cars.

37 just a concordian July 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I feel sorry for the asphalt.

38 Tom July 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I noticed the way he was dressed. I don’t care.

39 ???? July 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Why would you want to walk your dog when it’s that hot anyway?! Let the dog come inside and enjoy the a/c,fan, shade, etc.

40 Kirkwood July 25, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Although this thread is about the dangers of hot sidewalks, etc. There was mention of the availability of water. A couple of months back I spotted a lady with a small pan-like device that screwed to the mouth of a common water bottle for a dog to drink controlled amounts of water. Cute idea for the person that thinks that water must be available for man (woman) and beast at all times.

41 Bitey McDoggerson July 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM

@Those doggies aren’t off-leash, are they? For shame.

you do realize of course that dogs are allowed off leash anywhere
unless its an area where being on-leash is required.