The Water Cooler – Fighting Back Against Credit Card Skimming

July 23, 2014 12:00 pm · 34 comments

strips seal

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on Claycord.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it!

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon!

Today’s question:

In an effort to combat credit card skimming, gas stations in Claycord are now using stickers to find out if anybody has tampered with the debit card keypad.

If the seal is broken or missing, they ask that you report it to the station’s management.

Do you think this will work, or do you think people won’t even pay attention to the seal, or even notice if it’s missing?

Talk about it….

1 wow July 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM

If it’s missing how would anyone know it’s suppose to be there in the first place? To fool proof this there should be some type of large signage indicating all pumps should have stickers, even then some people won’t read but at that point if identity theft occurred it’d be their own fault.

2 anon July 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Juvenile delinquents will just tear them off.

3 Sunnymoon July 23, 2014 at 12:14 PM

So…………if the seal is missing, how would you know it was supposed to be there in the first place.

4 Noj July 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM

It’s a great idea. Hopefully it will deter the lower life forms we all know and love in Claycord. In my opinion, credit card scammers should be found, dragged behind the building and dispatched. One round. I knew a poor lady who was the victim of credit card fraud/identity theft and she had to carry a police report around with her for five or six years, just to prove who she was.

5 Anon777 July 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I think most people will pay attention and report. I think a small percentage will be complete assholes and break the seal just because they can.

6 Killjoy July 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM

If the seal is broken, I won’t use it. As for reporting it? The sooner they know it’s been tampered with, the sooner they can correct the problem.
But I can also see punks cutting the seals just to mess with people.

7 flower power July 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I know Costco does this….really, really, really really hope it works! Getting kinda scary out there these days!

8 Constant Reader July 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I think the thieves will just print seals of their own and attach them. :-(

9 mutts July 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM

You can lead a horse to water….

10 Enfield303 July 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Putting a better type of lock on it would do more towards stopping these scumbags. little strips of tape won’t do squat. Maybe if the attendants wandered out of the booth once in a while to check it wouldn’t be so rampant.

11 anon July 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

They will just peel the stickers off.

12 What security July 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM

bring back gas station attendants who pump gas..

13 The Theorist July 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Time to dispatch the greenery and plastic…
Let just move onto implanted RFID in the back of your hand.
Like the chips they inplant into pets to track them.
Wave of the hand and you paid. No more carry inconvenient IDs or debit cards! /s

Don’t accept what is forced upon you! All these small events are working towards a larger plan to further subjugate the compliant worker drones.
Rebel against your corporate overlords!

14 sf July 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I wont go to a gas station that doesn’t have these seals.
The next issue will be criminals printing these labels to replace the ones they broke. Ugh..

15 just a fyi July 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Interesting, Chevron has been placing these strip on their gas pumps for a couple years now. What’s crazy about this is that most of the credit card thieves who “break” into the gas pumps, work at the station they are stealing from.

16 The Mamba July 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I guess you wouldn’t know if there was no sticker there at all… The solution is to have more than one key that works on all the pumps in California.

17 dilligafman July 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I prefer cash transactions-no paper trail.

18 mark to be July 23, 2014 at 2:22 PM

In Oregon by law gas station workers pump your gas for free.

19 anonanonagain July 23, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I wish credit American card companies got smart and started putting the chip and pin in everyone’s credit cards. Europe has had this for years and it has cut down on credit card fraud and abuse ten fold. Why are the banks so hesitant to protect the customer and itself?? My guess is because the banks have to pay for all the upgrades and that gets expensive. While the money is federally insured they will stall and stall…..

20 J July 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM

7-11 has been doing this at their pumps for a few years now

21 Stickers are jokes July 23, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I have been to several pumps at several different stations and have seen these stickers broken. Went inside snd even mentioned it to the station manager and all said they were aware, they just never replaced the stickers when they went inside to perform maintenance – whsts the point of the stickers then ??????

22 NoMoreFreeRide July 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM

They’re just reproduce the stickers/seals.

23 Root Beer July 23, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I reported one at the Shell station right next to the Ygnacio of framp. The attendant only said ‘great, now I need to replace it.’ Didn’t seem to care.

24 Mimi (original) July 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM

LOL, yes, the stickers ARE jokes!! Ridiculous!

25 TOB July 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Some of today’s skimming is intercepting the transactions like Target. Hackers are the ones skimming now by cracking and intercepting the transaction not at the pump but while it’s being authorized inside station or out. This label will work as well as a lock on a gate.

26 Anon July 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I was at a Chevron in PH this past month and of course *after* I had entered my card I noticed that my pump was the only one w/o the red sticker and there had been what looked like scotch tape that had been torn away. I went in to alert the attendant and he was of no help. He couldn’t understand what my concern was about a missing sticker that all the other pumps had. I was already having a terrible day and that was just the icing on the cake.

At the end of the day who even knows if the stickers do any good at all. You just have to watch all your statements like a hawk with all the scams happening.

27 Anon July 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM

*Correction it was a Shell station on PH, not Chevron.

28 Won't Carry a Debit Card July 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Stickers give false sense of security and people will slice them just to mess with owners. Why would anyone risk their money on a card protected only with a 4 number code. Gas stations take $50 bills and you will think twice about most purchases if you use cash.

29 Big Dog July 23, 2014 at 10:43 PM

The Russian Mob is behind many of these skimmer type thefts. They got busted a few years back by Martinez cops in the middle of the night at a Gas Station off Morello Road. They had hundreds of skimmers, and had possession of thousands of Debit/Credit Card numbers. Very Scary.
Always Pay with a credit card, as your liability is limited to 50 bucks. If you must pay with debit, do it inside.

30 Concernicus July 24, 2014 at 12:45 AM

what’s to stop the crooks from carefully removing the sticker in 1 piece, fiddling with the keypad, then replacing the sticker intact?

31 tired of taxes July 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Don’t want to be a victim of credit card info theft? Don’t use a credit card.
Understand the risks of using credit cards.

As previous posters have already elaborated, stickers won’t do any good. It just removes the gullible from counting towards the crowd-of-upset-credit-card-users-who-want-their-cake-and-eat-it-too.

32 How dumb July 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Here’s a solution if you know you need cash go to the bank and get it. I keep so much $$ per week, for groceries, gas, etc. Once I’m out of cash, then I have to wait until the following week. I rarely use my ATM, and if I do I know exactly where I used it.
I also keep one credit card for online purchases only. Again, this way I can track my spending and if there’s anything different I know it.
Let’s get smarter people, don’t be lazy.

33 SF CityGirl July 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I think it’s a good start, you have to start somewhere.

34 Meemo July 25, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Reported a couple of times. I get “Thanks, we know.”