Burglary Suspect Escapes After Foot Chase in Concord’s Cowell Park

July 23, 2014 · 55 comments

A suspect who broke into a home on Hale Dr. in Concord escaped after a chase with police in Cowell Park just before noon on Wednesday.

The suspect, described as a black male in his 20s with a blue jacket and blue jeans, was seen going into the backyard of the home. When police arrived, he jumped the back fence to Cowell Park, where police were waiting.

A foot chase began, and the suspect eventually escaped.

Several witnesses tell Claycord.com the suspect was possibly shot with a bean-bag gun, but still escaped.

No police officers were injured during the chase.

1 Out of the Loop July 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM

What is a bean bag gun???

2 concord girl July 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Maybe they should have used a real gun! If they shoot one of these criminals maybe the mad rush here from oakland to rob and steal with stop

3 concord girl July 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I mean stop

4 Ronald July 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Being black has nothing to do with it. I’ve lived in the area my whole life, and as a white guy I’ve been harassed more by white tweaker in the valley and not once by a black guy. Acknowledge your ignorance.

5 RealityCheck July 23, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Nice job as usual CPD.
…Not.

6 Anon July 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM

@4 that’s very true.

7 Elwood July 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM

“The suspect, described as a black male in his 20s”

Now, THERE’S a surprise!

8 Jtkatec July 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Follow the beans that are dropping from his clothes…. isn’t that how it works?

9 dilligafman July 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM

S.O.S.-SHOOT ON SIGHT!!!

10 CPD does a great job July 23, 2014 at 2:23 PM

codifying their SOP to meet the demands of the bleeding hearts. Bleeding hearts is the root of the problem that cannot now be solved by anyone. The citizens need to react by give the police the authority break some bone. But that won’t happen here in the land of the left.

Not being bleeding heart, I think they should have shot the SOB.

11 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire July 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I certainly hope this doesnt prevent us from embracing our Section 8 community and the rich diversity they bring us!!

12 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire July 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Diversity is our strength!

13 @ concord girl July 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM

That was so lame to even mention Oakland. Crime is everywhere, every city, so get educated about it. Oakland is not the end all of humanity. It is a beautiful city that has some rough parts just like any Large, Urban, Well Populated, Major City does.

For some people- Ignorance is bliss and denial is even better I guess. Lol!!!

14 @ Elwood July 23, 2014 at 2:50 PM

A racist comment from an ignoramus, now there’s a surprise!

15 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire July 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM

uh oh…commenter #14 was offended. Booo hoooo, we have offended another sensitive leftie!!
LOL!!!

16 Abbie R. July 23, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Shoot a gun and yell “Police” a sure way to win the 100yard dash.

17 anon July 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Did the suspect have very short hair cut close to scalp with a blonde-orange tint on top? If so, a man looking like him with a blue jacket with white marks on lone lower pocket area entered Pleasant Hill Park on Gregory about 2 PM.

18 TooBad July 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Too bad the slime bag got away. Hope they will eventually find him and charge him with something. Need to get the thugs off our streets.

19 Rambo July 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Put one in his back next time, I am sick of these low life scumbags coming into Concord to do their crimes.

20 Marianne July 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Got away, I hope he doesn’t come in my neighborhood.

21 cOMMONsENSE July 23, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I agree that he was probably not from Oakland. More likely from Bay Point or Pittsburg.

22 Louisa July 23, 2014 at 3:57 PM

He got away on a foot. lol, that’s funny. Maybe he can deliver my mail for me.

23 Veronica July 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Got away on a foot, good Lord he could have outrun the mailman when my dogs were chasing him. That was fast, lol :-)

24 Anonymous July 23, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Elwood may be a racist. He is also correct.

25 iluvfriedchicken July 23, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Is that park still called Cowell Park?

26 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire July 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM

its not racist if its true. And it is true.

27 waverunner July 23, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Maybe PD needs to step up their agility requirements, of which there are none.

28 Just another Concord resident July 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Sorry the CPD lost him this time.. there will be another chance, people like that don’t learn and in fact are emboldened by the escape.. Next time he will evade in a high speed chase in a stolen car.

29 Elwood July 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM

@ @ Elwood #14

I calls ‘em the way I sees ‘em.

I am the reality man. And I don’t care a rat’s tiddle about PC.

30 @Elwood July 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Must be lonely in your pale, homogenous world.

31 @27 July 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Maybe we need to make all the criminals wear gun belts, ballistic vests, etc. to slow them down a bit.

32 RANDOM TASK July 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM

well city council has moved faster than I thought…….Concord ..now called south Pittsburgh is only a few more years away from being Oakland part deux…………golf clap to the city and council for sending us to the wolves………elections around the corner …..let me guess more of the same …..worked so far

33 PhilthyPHRESH July 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Racist is racist regardless if it’s true or not. The evidence is circumstantial. But on a real note my mom once gave me a description like that of someone that robber her in Oakland…..so…..but BART cop taking the report says no real hope, it happens all the time.

34 lights and sirens July 23, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Not quite sure what was racist about the story. They simply described the suspect. He happened to be described as a 20 something black male

35 lights and sirens July 23, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Wish I could afford to live in san ramon.

36 @ lights and sirens July 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM

37 concordshmonkhord July 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM

What s all this about race and racism? Geeze it s used as a descriptor. Blue jeans…black skin…if it is a white male in brown pants does that similarly make a racist statement? Idiots. Concord ia full of idiots..i wish i never moved here…i hope i dont have to rob to be able to get out of here and move up…

38 anon July 23, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Lead never allows escape.How can they be waiting for him and he gets away.Another rat from the hood is on the loose.

39 Elwood July 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM

@Elwood July 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM #30

Must be lonely in your pale, homogenous world.

Actually, it’s quite comfortable. Not like the ghetto at all.

40 Elwood July 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM

“Racist is racist regardless if it’s true or not.”

That’s enough to make a dog laugh.

If you identify the perp as a black male, you’ve just eliminated 94% of the population as suspects.

41 Elwood July 23, 2014 at 11:03 PM

@ lights and sirens July 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM #36

” No one said anything about the story itself is racist, it’s the comment from Elwood thst it is no surprise the suspect is black is what is racist. Elwood clearly insinuates that all suspects of criminal activity are black. That is a racist stereotype.”

It is no surprise that the suspect is black. Read Claycord. More often than not that is the case in this kind of crime. And if you think I insinuated that all suspects of criminal activity are black you’re not thinking clearly. Stereotypes are often true.

42 anon July 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM

every cop should have a k9. Go Concord k9!

43 @Elwood July 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM

You say most of the perps you read about on claycord are black? That’s funny, cuz most I read about are white. And the pictures are of whites, usually tweaks. So I guess when all you see in your world are black criminals, then that is all you will ever notice. Which means you are so oblivious thst you will most likely end up the victim or a white perp because you will never see then coming,,.. Irony at its best

44 @Elwood July 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM

* victim OF a white perp

45 Shelly July 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM

It probably isn’t very easy being Elwood. I pity him. The only thing I think may be worse is being married to Elwood.

46 EliteGuy July 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM

shouldve used 00 buck

47 Isabelle July 24, 2014 at 8:49 AM

anon, If he had a k9 he would have been caught. That’s why I keep dogs, I’m not worried about anyone stealing from my residence.

48 concord girl July 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Whether you idiots want to believe it or not, the oakland criminals have discovered that Concord and its residents are easy targets for them, they get on Bart and ride here to do their crimes and then ride Bart back to oakland, I know because a young teen girl told me they are doing this. I am not a racist, just stating facts. There has been a BIG increase in crime here due to this….Concord Cops need to start exercising so they might be able to run after them if they don’t want to shoot the criminals.

49 Kirkwood July 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Why do cops always use K9’s? Aren’t there newer models available, K10’s or K11’s?

50 @STUPID UGLY &$@&$#(*&^ July 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I GUESS IVE BEEN CENSORED, SORRY BUT {STUPID, UGLY, $%##**&^&% REALLY GETS ME ANGRY.

51 PhilthyPHRESH July 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM

@ elwood if you think false statements that are racist are not racist sir you are 99% developmentally disabled. That would explain why you have all the answers….

52 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire July 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM

@ the angry libtard in comment#58: LOLOL!!!

53 Led July 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM

What a surprise – arguments about race in the comments! Claycord has a lot of white and Hispanic crime as well; we’re pretty equal opportunity here.

Those who think the cops should have shot him with real bullets – are you for real? What kind of society do you want to live in? Where the police can shoot you on sight for attempted burglary or trespassing? That’s going to go really well, I’m sure. The police are militarized enough already – far too much, actually. Not wanting to live in a police state or under martial law is not being a bleeding heart, it’s just being American. If you really feel that unsafe, you need to spend more time looking at the trend in crime stats and less time fantasizing about shooting people. Liberals can’t handle the fact that citizens have guns in America, because it violates their fantasy of what a safe society is like – you guys are just the other side of that coin: you can’t handle the fact that we have restraints on police force, due process, presumption of innocence – because they violate your fantasy of what a safe society looks like.

54 Silva July 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Why do so many people seem to assume that we “Libtards” are all unarmed? That’s kind of funny. some of us have maybe been stood up by the police before.

55 e-rok July 25, 2014 at 5:39 PM

that’s my neighborhood!! now I have to out and buy a gun.