Suspicious Person Claiming to Sell Books for Charity Near West St. in Concord

July 22, 2014 · 34 comments

We received several tips about a woman going door-to-door this afternoon near West St. & Lillian Dr. in Concord, but this was is by far the most descriptive.

About 5 minutes ago there was a young female white, long brown hair,lots of tattoos, wearing a Victoria Secret black t-shirt with “Love” in Pink on the front. She is going door to door attempting to sell kids books claiming it was a donation for poor kids.

The reason I called was because her tactics were real shady. She mentioned my neighbors by their last name and said she was related…lie.

Asked all sorts of personal questions, name, occupation, husbands occupation ect. I am sure she is getting marginal information from neighbors and using this as a way to convince others in the block that she is on the up & up. She was a real fast talker and when I refused to buy the minimum $25 she asked for a cash donation.

This girl is shady and there are a lot of elderly people on this block who she can take advantage of. If she is legitimately selling with a permit then god bless her, but I took the safe route to protect my neighbors and am having her checked out. She said there were others in the area and it was a contest between boys & girls. Scam scam scam.

Always be careful when somebody asks you for money, or personal information.

1 RANDOM TASK July 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM

call police and or take a pic…….they love that

2 Krystle July 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Ya I live by west st. Call police I will if I see her on Olympia st.

3 A contest between boys and girls July 22, 2014 at 4:42 PM

to see how much drug money can be scammed in one afternoon.

I guess all of the street corners are occupied today.

4 anon July 22, 2014 at 5:11 PM

“If she is legitimately selling with a permit then god bless her, ”

Yeah …right
don’t waste your blessings on her type…who sells books door to door ??

5 Michelle(original) July 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I really dislike how low we’ve come in this nation. Forcing the kids to solicit for ungodly reasons. There was s time when real fundraisers were legit and you didn’t have to worry if it was a real cause or not. This is really sad, but she won’t be getting anything from me.

6 SpankyFortuna July 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Thanks for taking some action! Wish more people would do the same.

7 Hugh H July 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Is she over 18?
Send Her my way, I’d gladly take her Photos :) :)

8 CONCORD SANDY July 22, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Thanks for having the neighbor’s backs!

9 anon July 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Sounds like more trash peddling their goods so they don’t have to work and get a job. They trying to live off of people’s compassion by either begging on the streets on freeway entrances or pretending to be a fundraiser for charity.
You can stop it by not giving or buying their goods thereby not enabling them.

10 John H. July 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM

First of all, you are making assumptions based on her tattoos? That is very biased and very hen like. Secondly, simply ask them for their permits in the future and that you would like to check it out with the city. No harm and you wont sound like a complete idiot when reporting this. Thanks.

Also, if she is over 18, send her my way.

11 TG July 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM

same thing happened here on plumleigh off cowell. guy was selling books and was saying that if we buy one another book goes to childrens hospital. thought it seemed shady so i turned him down. Then not even 15 minutes later while im taking out garbage i see 2 cops talking to him about 3 houses away

12 AnotherAnon-------- Did she display a city permit? Did you ask to see her permit? July 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM

13 Atticus Thraxx July 22, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Chin up Michelle. Things only suck if you keep saying they suck. Especially if they are happening to someone else.

14 Tom July 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Ask for the name of the organization, and check and see if they have a permit. It’s public information.

I’d be more concerned about the “info gathering” than $25.00.

Unfortunately, shady people sometimes really do have a permit, which means they can legally do what they’re doing. Don’t give them a dime whether they’re legit or not.

Asking for a “cash donation” is a red flag. Legitimate organizations wouldn’t insist on cash only.

15 Simple way to deal with this! July 22, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Ask if she has a city permit to go door to door.

Be nice about it tell her that this area has had a lot of problems lately and if she does not have one let her know you will be calling the police with her description.

I had a problem with solicitors in the past I told them that I worked for the city and that I would call the police and we could get the permit thing all worked out…. I ended up chasing him down the block LOL… But I was nice LOL…

Guess what “NO MORE SOLICITORS!”

I am also a big fan of installing wireless cameras they are cheap and are worth their weight in gold!

Anyway have a nice evening Dave.

16 Michelle(original) July 22, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Atticus, I’ve had subscriptions that were solicited from me and I never received any magazines. Sad state we live in…

17 green July 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM

you people are so cold hearted.

who cares if she has a permit?

and at she’s working for a living rather than living off welfare.

18 anon July 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM

fyi, permits apply to ‘selling’ only. Otherwise if we wanted to go to our neighbors to ask for a cup of sugar we would need a permit. As stated regarding Supreme Court Ruling regarding door to door and not selling.

19 Contonian July 22, 2014 at 11:01 PM

If you are talking about a business license – that’s so easy to get. You pay a tiny little fee with made up info and you’ve got it. Good luck getting a permit agent after hours.

20 VikingPrincess July 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Had something like this happen a few years ago. Man came to our door while dark about 8pm. He scared me because we were packing to go camping, I opened the door and he was standing there. He held up his arms and jokingly said “don’t shoot” and made a joke about a black man at a persons door at night etc..
Eventually he stated he was there to sell books for Oakland Children’s hospital. Although his sources to choose from were small, he was a very good talker and heart string jerker…along with using his skin color to his advantage. I’d bet most would say yes. He dropped the name of my neighbor. Stating she sent him (no way) – when I asked if she bought any books from him he said no (hmm). He even tried for any money after I declined.
One big problem…hospitals are required to have libraries – by law. Even if only a bookshelf, its a requirement. So his story with only six books to choose from for those ” poor dying Oakland hospital children” wreaked. Especially after I asked for a contact me and number to directly donate books he got squirmy and exited. What a scam artist.

21 Starfish July 22, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I remember a beggar coming around the neighborhood trying to sell something or other. Some felt sorry for the creep and gave her some food and water. I never did, I even heard she got a job as a clerk, but of course was fired soon afterwards.

22 anon July 23, 2014 at 6:49 AM

“who cares if she has a permit?”

The rules are stupid ?
We should all ignore all the rules ?
You are an idiot

23 Claycord own July 23, 2014 at 7:42 AM

She came to my house and stated her name was amber

24 foonman July 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Saw this a few years ago. “I live just around the corner, then names a neighbor”. Very suspicious, talking very fast, trying to get info on us to use on the next cold call. When are we going to outlaw door to door calls?

25 Me July 23, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Just yesterday I happened to come home early and two women came to the door. One of them was definitely a fast talker. She kept mentioning a competition and I kept asking for what. I never fully got the name of a company or organization out of her. They handed me a pamphlet of magazines so all I could figure was that they were selling magazines and if they sold the most they won a prize. I didn’t like the situation. I do like that my dog sounds and looks like she’s going to kill somone when they approach initially so that gave them a good scare. Thankfully she doesn’t actually bite, although I hope she does in the right situation! (Yes, I do have beware of dog signs too).

26 AMBER ALERT July 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM

DONT answer the door!!!! SHE WILL BRING HER MINIONS BACK TO ROB YOU!

27 Disgusted by my "neighbors" July 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Is no one else alarmed by the creeps (#10 and #7) asking if she’s “over 18″ to “send her my way”?? Why would anyone do that? So you can take advantage of her desperate state? This was supposed to be a warning to neighbors that someone may be gathering information for a scam- not an invitation to victimize her as well.

The public shaming that goes on on this site is shameful. If you have a problem with someone, tell them or alert the authorities. If you want to know why you use this forum for that, look at your own cowardice and lack of ability to see people as people worthy of your compassion and understanding.

28 The Mamba July 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Thank god these people don’t come to my house, what a nightmare.

29 LalaPopp July 23, 2014 at 1:55 PM

She sounds familiar based on the description, but she was out in front of the Safeway on Dekinger late last week and apparently selling books to buy for the schools in the area (you got to choose the school). I told her I had no cash & she said I could leave her my credit card #. Of course I didn’t! Real fast talker and from the description above she has the same outfit.

30 Ever notice how some people just set themselves up as a target!? July 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM

How sad that they think that if you say anything negative that you do not care!

That is the furthest thing from the truth!

People stop responding to this kind of behavior there is something wrong with these damaged people!

Reasonable people do not act or respond like this.

Time to get some cameras so you will have a picture if needed of these people.

Have a nice weekend…

31 Kristen July 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I feel like the main cause could be for them to snoop around in your home so i wouldnt welcome them in or open the door to wide they might report it back to their Crime partners or so . I was also thinking that if they are working for some sort of fund raiser they should carry some sort of proof .

32 anon July 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I have a feeling I know who this is. She use to live in that neighborhood, knew lots of the neighbors, she has much older kids that use to go to the neighborhood schools. She has a history of drug use, child neglect and several other things she told me over the years. Took me off guard, I met her when I was attempting to find a nanny/babysitting job. She was looking way too cheap job. She once told me she would go around neighbors and “panhandle” with some story. I stopped talking to her after that

33 Michelle July 23, 2014 at 8:27 PM

These days, you have to be careful of people snooping around your house, as innocent as it may seem.

34 ... July 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM

@green #17…

What’s your address? I’ll send them your way and let them know you’re willing to buy any/everything they have.

No? C’mon, where’s your compassion?

Let’s just legalizes scams. That’ll get them off welfare.