Concord Disposal Launches Two New Environmentally Friendly Trucks

July 22, 2014 · 38 comments

truck

Concord’s garbage disposal company has announced the launch of two new trucks that are environmentally friendly and will also increase efficiency.

The two split-body trucks will pick up trash and recycling in the same vehicle, reducing the number of trucks driving through neighborhoods, according to officials with Concord Disposal Service.

The new trucks will also run on compressed natural gas, rather than the diesel fuel of older trucks, company officials said.

“Being a good environmental steward, as well as cutting down on residential noise and wear and tear on neighborhood streets, are top priorities for Concord Disposal,” Joe Garaventa, CEO of Garaventa Enterprises, said in a statement.

Garaventa Enterprises owns and operates Concord Disposal, as well as Mt. Diablo Recycling in Pittsburg.

“We value our Concord customers and are looking forward to getting our new trucks out on the road,” he said.

1 Antler July 22, 2014 at 8:04 AM

For 54 years now, this family-owned business has given our household outstanding service. I really respect the investment they continue to make in the most “green” approach to doing their job!

Thank you, Garaventa and Adler families!

2 Drvrdadca July 22, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Will these new trucks have brakes that don’t squeak at every touch of the pedal. We probably wouldn’t know they were in our neighborhoods if we didn’t hear those brakes squealing.

3 Always Right July 22, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Sounds like a big improvement. Good job, Concord disposal!

Reducing wear on city streets is critical, since they are not being adequately maintained.

4 Not Even an Eco Guy July 22, 2014 at 8:23 AM

When are they going to get on board with composting household waste?

5 Shelly July 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM

That does sound good!

6 Anonymous July 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Sure they have “served” us and gotten rich due to great contracts and political donations.

7 @2 July 22, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Come on now, cars and barking dogs make as much noise .

8 Kirkwood July 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM

So four trucks are being replaced by two. Does this mean that two drivers are losing their jobs?

9 Anonymous July 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Seems like the shills are out commenting on this. Smart strategy.

10 Concord resident July 22, 2014 at 10:34 AM

So this explains our hike in trash prices the last 5 years it’s gone up at least 15$, talk about a monopoly, concord disposal lower your rates pls.

11 anon July 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM

One truck per route instead of two, with the routes being smaller. Trucks only can hold so much garbage, Would cut truck traffic down ,but I don’t know about the noise.

12 Grumpy Old Man July 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I liked it better in the old days when we had steel garbage cans and the garbage man would slam the lids and wake everybody up.

13 Mir24 July 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM

They might as well combine recycling with the trash. My neighbor has been putting all her trash in the recycling bin for two months and the company says there’s nothing they can do about it. Disappointing!

14 Anonymous July 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Why does one company have a monopoly?Because they have bought off the politicians. Introduce some competition and see what happens to rates.

Never happen here.

15 Cat Wrangler July 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM

DId they purchase the new state-of-the-art trucks from McNeilus? Awesome company and history! I was given a personal tour of the plant by Mr. McNeilus and will never forget his commitment to excellence. Did you know that not one of the welds on any of his trucks (garbage now and previously cement and garbage) has never failed?! Awesome American success story.

16 Roz July 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Hats off to Concord Disposal.
But I don’t think I’ll be seeing these trucks on the route in our neighborhood.
Our court is so small it takes the poor guys to go back & forth about 6 times to get around to pick up. Their driving skills are tested to the limits,..no mishaps yet.

17 WC July 22, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Environmentally Friendly Garbage Trucks…. I just spit up my Jumbo Shrimp.

18 buddy July 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Here goes our rates AGAIN. Bunch of crooks. Save the environment, billing was three months, now it is monthly. Extra cost of postage, extra cost of paper for envelopes and statements, yeah they are an environmental friendly company.

19 Jtkatec July 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Will they be quieter?

20 @ Everyone..... July 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Who has issues with the rates. The Concord City Council voted on a “new” contract that had automatic extensions. This means there never will be competitions as it would put the city at risk of contract breach……….sweet deal for the Garaventa’s

21 nytemuvr July 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Still not going to ride my bike behind one, as I wouldn’t ride behind livestock trucks (especially chicken haulers, damn feathers)….nothing compares to the the garbage “juice” that leaks out of them…..

22 Marissa July 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I could care less, the cost will show up in my bill anyway!

23 RD July 22, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Concord Disposal employees do a great job!

24 Constant Reader July 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I like our garbage men and how ell they do their job! We will never see the new trucks in our neighborhood but I still applaud Concord Disposal for trying to be better for the environment. Kudos to Joe Garaventa.

25 Tal July 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I saw one in my neighborhood last week, and they are super quiet, I barely heard it stop and do its job..

26 Kirkwood July 22, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I would prefer that Garaventa, a local company, won the bid for the Concord franchise, its competitor was Waste Management, a gigantic nationwide company.

27 Silva July 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I have Waste Management in Oakland. They charge a lot more.

28 Ctown July 22, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Way to go Concord Disposal! You all work very hard and are so under appreciated.

How can people not understand why the rates are slowing going up? Take a look around, when was the last time you filled your car with fuel. These people have been going above and beyond for years. I could not tell you how many times on my way to work i have seen these men get out of their trucks and run up someones driveway to grab a can the homeowner forgot to put out.

Keep up the good work!

29 Concord Res July 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM

They are doing this for tax credits and fuel savings period. They are not doing this for the environment just once it would be nice for a company to be honest.

30 crazytech58 July 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM

@ Roz #16, we too live on a court, and all 4 houses (3 containers each house) line all our containers up on one side of the court, the right side as you enter, and this allows the driver to make one smooth pickup, and back out of the court…. I’m sure he appreciates it. Concord Disposal does a great job, and the rates are not really that bad….. try going to the dump sometime, really getting expensive

31 Anonymous July 22, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Oh come on Garaventa change the wording around when you make multiple posts about how great you are..

32 funny man July 23, 2014 at 12:01 AM

what I want to know is will the garventa monopoly get a hands down uncontested lifetime contract for the new high density housing on the development on the old navy base?
hahaha who am I kidding of course they will… I say bring in some competition AND bring in Google fiber to scare comcrap and attract businesses to the new area.

33 buddy July 23, 2014 at 6:48 AM

@crazytech58 who do you think owns the dump in Pittsburg?

34 City Girl July 23, 2014 at 7:46 AM

The only bill I resent paying is my Concord Disposal bill. Each week I put out the regular 64-gallon can, and about every 2-3 weeks I put out my green recycling, and about every 4-5 weeks I put out my other recycling, yet I am required to pay full price every week which, as of 7/15, has increased to $36.90. The fees seem to continually increase at a high rate. I am willing to bet that in the past 10-15 years, my bill has increased MORE THAN 100%, and I am using a smaller can than I was using 10 years ago!! NO OTHER UTILITY BILL INCREASES AT THAT RATE!!!

The drivers may do a good job, as I have no complaints about them. HOWEVER, does everyone realize how much money the drivers make to drive around and collect cans? They do not even have to get out of their trucks, and their base salary is more than most teachers with BACHELORS DEGREES and social workers with MASTERS DEGREES!!! This is OUTRAGEOUS!!! They, also, work most holidays at probably time and a half or double-time. I attempted to find the salaries on CD’s website but was unsuccessful.

Garaventa is a multi-millionaire. It’s time for some competition, but it won’t happen.

35 BagsFlyFree July 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM

CD multifamily and commercial rates are bleeding local families and businesses dry. CD shifts higher costs to these customers to keep the SFH customers happy. Less pickup stops should mean lower rates.

36 I want competition July 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM

More options please, this isn’t Cuba…..

37 Silva July 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM

It just went by our place, and you wouldn’t have known it but for the squeeling brakes!

38 Silva July 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Nytemuvr, Now THAT’S the truth!