CoCo Health Dept.: Why Electronic Cigarettes Are Bad for the Community’s Health

July 22, 2014 10:30 am · 78 comments

e-cig-280x200

There has been a lot in the media recently about electronic smoking devices such as e-cigarettes, hookah pens and vape pens. If you haven’t seen them in your neighborhood store, you may have seen someone using them, or “vaping.”

The Contra Costa Health Department released information this week on why they believe eCigarettes are bad for the community.

The following information is from the Contra Costa Health Department:

Electronic smoking devices are battery-operated products designed to deliver nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. They often resemble the look of a cigarette, including a battery-lit glow at the end of the device. They turn nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user. They also come in youth-friendly, high-tech designs and flavors like cherry crush, grape, vivid vanilla, cinnamon bun and mint chocolate.

While the advertising for these products may say they are a safe alternative to tobacco cigarettes, there is much more research that needs to be conducted to make this claim. Electronic smoking devices are unregulated by the federal government at this time and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns that consumers currently have no way of knowing whether e-cigarettes are safe for their intended use, what types or concentrations of potentially harmful chemicals are found in these products, or how much nicotine they are inhaling when they use these products. In short, e-cigarette users don’t really know what they’re putting in their bodies.

In addition, we don’t know how the vapor from electronic smoking devices affects people in the vicinity of where they are being used. The FDA has conducted laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples and found they contained carcinogens and toxic chemicals to which users and bystanders could potentially be exposed. A major review by University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) researchers of the scientific literature on these devices found that the while the data is still limited, these products are not “merely harmless water vapor” as the manufacturers frequently claim. The researchers concluded that these devices should be prohibited wherever tobacco use is prohibited.

Just as important as the possible health risks associated with these products, there is growing concern that the use of e-cigarettes in public and places of employment could increase social acceptance of smoking, undermine smoke-free ordinances, and make smoking seem socially normal, especially among youth.

There is also a concern about triggering relapse in those who are trying to quit smoking. Because these products look incredibly similar to tobacco cigarettes, and simulate smoking, they may provide models for unhealthy behavior.

In a study published in the March 6th Journal of the American Medical Association’s JAMA Pediatrics, it was found that e-cigarettes were associated with more, not less, cigarette smoking among adolescents. In fact, electronic smoking devices are likely to be “gateway” devices for nicotine addiction among youth, according to the study.

For those trying to stop smoking, the Centers for Disease Control has found that FDA-approved cessation aids like nicotine patches or gum may help smokers quit. For information on smoking cessation resources, call 1-800-NO-BUTTS or visit cchealth.org/tobacco.

1 coco July 22, 2014 at 10:38 AM

what about chevron? is that bad for my health? can we stop spending money on ridiculous studies and warnings and hire a cop once in a while?

contra costa county is going to melt in to the abyss

take your e cigg and shove it up your chevron hole

2 Angelina July 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Guns kill more people than ecigs. Give me a break people, maybe I should just smoke medical marijuana in public!

3 You've Got To Be Kidding Me July 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM

“While the advertising for these products may say they are a safe alternative to tobacco cigarettes, there is much more research that needs to be conducted to make this claim.”

So we should restrict them in the meantime? What are they, insane? Anecdotally e-cigarettes have been the *only* effective smoking cessation aid among 6 of my friends. Moreover, we may not know *exactly* how bad e-cigarettes are, we know full well they are worlds better than regular burning tobacco cigarettes.

” the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns that consumers currently have no way of knowing whether e-cigarettes are safe for their intended use, what types or concentrations of potentially harmful chemicals are found in these products, or how much nicotine they are inhaling when they use these products.”

That’s a flat out LIE! There’s so much information available about different e-cigarette brands and models that it’s difficult to sift through it all. The information is there, and any discerning consumer can make an intelligent decision about what to do.

4 Vindex July 22, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Agree with all of this. However, marijuana is safe? The government loses credibility, when it pushes one thing over the other. Marijuana six times worse than cigarettes (Govt. data). However, they want the revenue, so they allow it .

5 Overwhelmed July 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM

This is jus an opinion from the county. There is no proof that these are any worse for a person than a real cigarette. If they help a person to stop smoking, then I say they are better. At least when I am around people using them I don’t have to deal with the nasty stinky smoke from real cigarettes. And, I don’t get sick from it either like I do from real cigarettes. So, How bad are they?

6 Reagan July 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Can we do anything anymore??!!! If people choose to use nicotine it’s their option. Ecigs smell way less offensive to me than cigarettes.

7 StoneyGRL July 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Vindex .. Pot is most definitely NOT worse then cigarettes … whatever “govt data” you are viewing is dead wrong!
It’s only illegal because it cuts into big pharmaceutical companies profits, and is better than cotton for making clothes, makes strong rope etc. All the big companies that line politicians pockets don’t want it to be legal.

and anyways the fumes you breath in while sitting in traffic are worse then any pot smoke, vape smoke, cig smoke you can inhale.

8 mike mac July 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I need a shovel and some toilet paper. Tired of this crap from Mommy Government.

9 Anon July 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Can you please provide a link to this information on the CCHD website?

10 Led July 22, 2014 at 11:21 AM

You’ve Got to Be Kidding Me hits the nail on the head. Here’s a product that is clearly, clearly a way to mitigate the damage of cigarette smoking, and the control-freaks want to control it out of existence – surprise! Control is its own reward, I guess. I’m not opposed to making manufacturers disclose the chemicals in their products, and making sure they are not cutting corners in a way that will be dangerous. I’m also not opposed to restricting sales to minors. But other than that, this is complete bs – control for control’s sake.

11 Mister Wister July 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM

@Vindex,
You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Not even a little bit.

12 Silva July 22, 2014 at 11:27 AM

#2, As someone who has breathing problems I’d really rather you smoked medical marijuana in public than have to breathe your second hand e cig vapor which causes me very real problems.

13 The Realist July 22, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Who knew Big Tabacco had its fingers into Contra costa county… or can they not think for themselves and just parrot what the higher ups tell them to think.
Won’t someone think of the children?
There is no second hand anything from vapes, nothing comes out of the ecig, and there us nothing but your normal lung vapors when you exhale.
Why are the fear, uncertainity and doubt? Because corporate interests want to keep you addicted to regular cigarettes. Lobbyists buy our politicians to pass laws banning the safer ecigs that are proven to help with cessation.
Don’t buy into any of this propaganda crap folks!

14 Pyrrhus July 22, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I don’t really know where to fall on this. If the dangers are the same as cigarettes for 2nd hand vapor than they should be under the same rules as tobacco. The problem is there just isn’t enough data and research concerning ecigs. We most likely won’t know the full affects of ecigs for another 20 years.

I do think it’s foolish to think that they aren’t good aids to help smokers quit. However, I do know of many young people that have also started vaping that had never smoked in the past, my sister being one of them. (She’s not under age)

15 Jim July 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM

And yet smoking.pot is considered a “medicine”…..addictive and Im sure good for you…minus the long term brain damage

16 macawlady July 22, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I’ve seen people smoking these in Starbucks in Claycord. Don’t think they’re supposed to. I never noticed an odor and I wasn’t bothered by it. Still, I wouldn’t say it’s safe. You’re still inhaling a drug.

17 Peter July 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM

aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnndddddddd vape pens are really for weed

18 Tom July 22, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I’ve never smoked, but if you want to smoke, smoke. It’s a free country.

For those on oxygen, or people with lung cancer that leads to brain cancer and death, I bet they wish they’d quit.

Some people are more health conscious than others.

19 Lady Penelope..... July 22, 2014 at 12:02 PM

As the tobacco companies scramble to keep their customers and generate new customers , E Cigarettes are the perfect foil. I first saw these things when I lived in Europe years ago, before they made it to our shores. I questioned a woman on what it was and she explained it to me as she inhaled on the vapor. She was smoking this device in front of her 3 year old. I just believe it’s all “smoke” and mirrors by the tobacco companies as they know smoking has fallen out of favor. A desperate ploy to keep in business…….

20 coco July 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

i want funding diverted from coco health to coco sheriffs to protect the citizens.

also how about hiring some highway patrol to stem the hustlas on highway 4 going 95 to antioch

absolutely ridiculous

spare my air and spare your waste of air cocohealth

21 WC July 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM

COCO county studying any of this is a waste of my tax payer dollars. Cut the staff by 80% and fix the damn roads.

22 no consideration for freedom July 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM

CoCo Health Dept’s argument summed up in one sentence:
“We don’t know if E-cigarettes are harmful or not, but we are going to protect you from the imaginary danger we see by making those decisions for you.”

Treating E-cigarette smokers the same as real smokers just removes one of the incentives for real smokers to switch to or try E-cigarettes. I guess you just want to keep those real smokers trapped in their habit so you can abuse them further.

23 Mister Wister July 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

@#11,
Sigh, another complete idiot.

24 coco July 22, 2014 at 12:37 PM

why is cocohealth studying this instead of focusing on the chemical warzone that is martinez shoreline?

im sure glad i dont pay taxes HAHAHAHAAHAHA

25 What security July 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM

You know out of the surrounding areas
Concord is probably the last working class communities with a emphasis on faith and family/ children

Screw those e-cigs. next they will have candy flavor. I smoked for 25 years, still miss the toxic poison but wont’ lite up

26 Beacon July 22, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Nicotine ingested in any form is bad news. My dad, a heavy smoker, died of a ruptured aorta. He bled to death in about 10 minutes and it was a painful death. There is no history of this in our family, but it is known that nicotine weakens the walls of your arteries.

27 PhilthyPHRESH July 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM

They keep saying the same thing over and over. Who’s funding these studies that do not release any data on the subject, the news keep saying these cigs are not harmless as manufacturers say too.

28 just a concordian July 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Aside from all the medically “sound” claims made by the Doogie Howsers of COCO Health, one thing did attract my attention.

“In short, e-cigarette users don’t really know what they’re putting in their bodies.”

Got me thinking… every time I pick up a box of some kind of processed food I read the labels. Of the 20-40 or so ingredients I can pronounce with ease about 4-6 of them. Salt, water, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, yellow dye nr 5, flour.
Of these, only the first 3 are commonly used and known. The other three… hell who knows what’s inside high fructose corn syrup. What’s food dye made out of? And have you ever picked up a packet of flour to read the ingredients? It’s NOT flour!!!

So then why not substitute “e-cigarettes”for something else… let’s try, shall we?

In short, hot dog users don’t really know what they’re putting in their bodies.
In short, bbq sauce users don’t really know what they’re putting in their bodies.
In short, frozen dinner users don’t really know what they’re putting in their bodies.
In short, soft drink users don’t really know what they’re putting in their bodies.
In short, bread users don’t really know what they’re putting in their bodies.

which inadvertently lead me to:

In short, most food items users don’t really know what they’re putting in their bodies.

29 The Realist July 22, 2014 at 2:36 PM

High fructose corn syrup is synthesized from the leftovers of corn production.

HFCS is more deadlier (obesity, heart disease, biabetes) than “second-hand” e-cig vapor which contains no carbon monoxide, tar, NICOTINE (which was absorbed into the vap’r’s lungs), or any other harmful residue except what normally comes out of knuckledraggin’ mouth-breather trash’s breath when they exhale.
As long as you don’t down the nictine liquid (which some low IQ people have) you will be fine standing next to a vap’r.
It’s all made up science to control people’s public lives or keep them addicted to regular cigarettes.

30 @ Silva July 22, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Please, please, please tell us exactly what “very real problems” you have when out in public and breath in maybe a teeny, tiny little itsy bitsy amount of water vapor.

You are one of the idiots that are afraid of getting cancer from breathing second hand smoke while walking, outside with the wind blowing, through a public park

I am not a smoker and do not condemn anyone that smokes. It is their choice. And I hate second hand smoke if I am in a casino, restaurant etc. But come on. Get a life.

31 Beacon July 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM

#24 – True, but at least you can read a label and decide if you want to put that crap in your body. There isn’t an ingredient’s label on e-cig’s and you don’t really know what you’re inhaling.

E-cig’s are being marketed as a safe alternative to cigarettes. Unfortunately, too many people are too ignorant to make an educated decision and therefore make an emotional decision. (I’ll be sooo cool if I smoke) The Health Department is trying to make people less ignorant, but read through most of these posts and one quickly realizes how difficult it is to fix stupid.

32 Always Right July 22, 2014 at 2:55 PM

@Mister Wister – so your contribution to the discussion is to call those you disagree with idiots?

Please add me to that distinguished list. E-cigs are bad. Tobacco is bad. Marijuana is worse.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

33 RD July 22, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Glad to hear they will be included in the county’s Secondhand Smoke Protections Ordinance, wherever smoking is prohibited.

“In April of last year, the Contra Costa Board of Supervisors voted to include electronic smoking devices such as e-cigarettes in the county’s Secondhand Smoke Protections Ordinance, prohibiting the use of electronic cigarettes wherever smoking is prohibited, including in common indoor and outdoor areas of multi-unit housing. Richmond, Walnut Creek, Concord, Oakley and Pittsburg have also joined the 60 other jurisdictions in California that prohibit the use of electronic smoking devices where smoking is prohibited.”

34 coco July 22, 2014 at 3:01 PM

#24 beautiful statement

i bet half the cocohealth workers are obese and dont know what partially hydrognenated soy bean oil is… NOM NOM NOM

35 just a concordian July 22, 2014 at 3:29 PM

@27

Walking through those supermarket isles I can clearly see what people decide to put in their bodies. Their massively disgusting fat bodies. So let’s not sit here and call the kettle black.
They have tried to get people to eat healthier. Of course the food industry has got us by the love handles. Tobacco is dying to get back on that pedestal but can’t do it…

The ecig was invented as a safer alternative to smoking. And it is. Look it up. Many people have quit smoking real ones because of these and I have yet to read about a case when an exclusively ecig smoker decided to start smoking real ones. It doesn’t work that way! People might go back to real ones after trying ecigs but not the other way around.

36 Not so fast #8 July 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM

#8, As an asthmatic, I really have to question what kind of “breathing problems” you have that would make you say that second-hand ecig vapor “causes [you] very real problems.” What problems? I had mild asthma earlier in life which, after years of social smoking got much worse, obviously, but by then I was addicted. I was finally able to quit by using the ecig which, contrary to your view, has no negative affect on my breathing whatsoever…and that’s when I’m the one inhaling it. Smelling others’ vapor has no affect either. However, there is a small affect when I smell marijuana smoke (very small, much less than that of a regular cigarette), yet you say you’d prefer that. I’m just questioning your experience with respiratory issues because it’s completely opposite for me.

37 RealityCheck July 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Smokers and drug addicts.
The world would be a better place without them.
Fresh air, less litter, lower heath care costs for all…. (sigh)

38 Kiwi July 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Anyone else notice more and more Hookah lounges opening up everywhere?

39 Shelly July 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM

#26, I do have a life, and I’m lucky to have survived having cancer once already. I’m really not “afraid” of very much. I choose not to eat any of the things “Just a Concordian” listed plus a whole lot of other stuff too. I don’t have a lot of choice when it comes to breathing. I enjoy doing it. I support your right to smoke whatever and wherever you want, just as long as I don’t have to breathe it. You might not sound so shrill if you had to live every day feeling like you have a chest infection for the last 20 years.

40 just a concordian July 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM

@32

I was going to invite Silva nr 8 to smell my tailpipe fumes, but then i realized she is just a troll. So maybe we all should invite her to smell our tailpipes.

41 R July 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I have two potheads who live in the house next door to me. They constantly smoke joints in their driveway, right in front of their 4 year old son. The stuff stinks like a skunk and filters into my bedroom window which is 30 feet away. It stinks up my porch and makes it very unpleasant to get through my front door. I’ve stood next to e smokers and not smelled a thing. I’d welcome my neighbor’s e cigarettes, and I’d like to see them take their weed inside and smoke it in an enclosed room, or better yet, stuff it where the sun don’t shine.

42 E-liquids July 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM

My fluids contain….
VG vegetable glycerine
PG propylene glycol
Nicotine
Flavoring
All food & lab grade ingredients. Which is what a lot of U.S. companies use. So if you buy from a reputable dealer or make your own then you know what’s going in your body. Much better then a analog cigarette. Whether it’s safe or not it’s to be determined. Vaping has got me off of cigarettes after over 15 yrs and I’ve been reducing my nicotine as I’ve been Vaping.

43 What security July 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM

@ Beacon,
The most useful, scary info thanks for the words of wisdom, and sorry about your oldman… RIP

I did not know that Nicotine in any form weakens the arteries. I really don’t miss it know.

44 J July 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM

So what they are saying is… nothing.

They know nothing, have no proof, and no real facts. Where is the news here?

This is a wast of our time Mayor. Some of us want to read about real issues in our community, not scare tactics from politicians and big tobacco.

@Vindex and @Jim. Learn FACTS before you assume (makes and ass out of U and Me… but mostly you). Marijuana DOES NOT cause more problems then cigarettes, and DOES NOT cause long term brain damage. The human brain has billions of receptors, some of which actually match the composition of THC, and acts as a natural host to absorb. Marijuana as also been PROVEN to fight cancer cells!

People tend to forget history before paper was made with trees. Hemp was used for EVERYTHING. Medicine, paper, rope, cloths, food, and so much more. It was the standard for life in America, before the US government deemed it as a threat, and slammed it with slenderizing propaganda.

Please don’t believe everything your government tells you, be a smart person and research before you assume.

45 RANDOM TASK July 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM

start the boots a marching …..regulation the new slogan for dems to push for higher taxes ………yay……..be better than the last day …..feed your brain

46 Mister Wister July 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM

@anonymous 32,
Fact is, you don’t know what your talking about. Come back here when you have more than a 2nd grade ghetto schooled science education.

47 Jaydub July 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM

“Makes so smoking seems socially acceptable” they finally have came out and stated their platform. They want the good Citizens of the world to socially condemn smoking even though other forms of socially acceptable behavior are now acceptable. Your fabulous government has now determined that smoking pot in public is socially normal, making love to whatever you want is socially normal, not vaccinating your children against known diseases is perfectly okay, people don’t need to check in at the border before they come to this country that’s perfectly fine , walking around naked in San Francisco don’t worry kids that’s perfectly normal what will be socially normal next?leave the smokers alone they been persecuted enough by you government controlled lemmings who won’t even allow people to smoke outside away from everybody and downtown Concord!

48 PhilthyPHRESH July 22, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Smoking bans are discrimination anyways. And they don’t apply to medicinal marijuana, read your legislation, that’s voter approved.

49 Silva July 22, 2014 at 4:57 PM

#36, is this a set up so I can get called a liar, an idiot, and a troll and whetever other lovely things some like to do here? I have a condition. My doctors don’t know what it is exactly. I’ve been to allergists, endrocrinologists, and had lots of tests and x rays. What happens is that there are certain triggers that make me heavily congested, and I cough and continually clear my throat when I’m exposed to them. the worst is tobacco smoke, then comes deisel smoke. Store bought household products, cheap perfume and perfuming chemicals, and spare the air days are difficult. I’m one of the people who must try to liimit outdoor activities on STA days. I must move as faraway as I can if I see someone coming my way or standing with a lit tobacco pruduct. at the end of the day and through the night I feel as though I’m coming down with a terrible chest cold. I’m sure no one cares, and I don’t mind if you want to smoke or vap or whatever, that’s your right. but if they don’t know yet if it’s NOT harmful’ I shouldn’t have to be made to breathe it.

50 jaydub July 22, 2014 at 5:07 PM

#46
Because you have a Condition everyone else should change their behavior? Should we also bam Deisels on the road?

51 Just Me July 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I call BS on silva #12.

No way in heck does marajuana smoke not effect your “breathing problems” while e cig vapor does.

E cig smoke dissipates in under a second and has no smell or smoke content where as the marijuana smoke lingers and also has burnt paper involved.

You’re full of it.

52 Silva July 22, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Just Me, You know best.

53 Silva July 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM

No Jaydub, everyone else doesn’t have to change their behavior for me, but it seemes like a lot of folks are saying that it should be just fine to use e cigs everywher I don’t agree.

54 @Sila July 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM

ignore them. I know what you mean I, too am allergic to the smell of ciger. smoke. It happens so quick it’s truly amazing. Chest feels like it’s explode and snot everywhere. It started in my 30s and then for some reason just stopped as I got in my 50s. Drs. gave me meds I had to carry with me all the time. I assume there is something in the cigers. and not in weed that triggers it.

Don’t worry about these trolls they prob kick kittens and use handicap parking spaces, too…lol.

55 @Sila July 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM

oh, perfect example is people who pee in swimming pools. This is like peeing in everyone’s air.

56 John H. July 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Another attempt at CoCo county trying to waste taxpayers time. ECigs are not dangerous or annoying to anybody but the user. They are 10x more environmentally friendly than real cigarettes and cigars. Is CoCo turning into a blue collar San Francisco County? This shouldnt even be wasted time upon. Lets work on real issues..

57 Nick July 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM

My E-Juice contains Vegetable Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, FDA approved organic flavor concentrate, and pure nicotine. Studies in European countries show that VG and PG are both safe to inhale. My flavors are all FDA approved for inhalation and nicotine in its pure form is not a carcinogen, yet somehow when I mix the four together, they become dangerous? How laughable. Please do your research.

58 POT VS CIGARETTES July 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM

From American Lung Association website – Decide for yourself……

Tobacco vs. Marijuana

“Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains cancer-causing chemicals. There are 33 cancer-causing chemicals contained in marijuana. Marijuana smoke also deposits tar into the lungs. In fact, when equal amounts of marijuana and tobacco are smoked, marijuana deposits four times as much tar into the lungs. This is because marijuana joints are un-filtered and often more deeply inhaled than cigarettes.”

“Marijuana smoke is also an irritant to the lungs, and frequent marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems experienced by people who smoke tobacco. These include coughing and phlegm production on most days, wheezing, bronchitis, and greater risk of lung infection.”

59 Atticus Thraxx July 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM

To cut off a foot to save the toes defies even progressive logic. Jesus H. Christ. It’s Dilbert-esque.

60 anon July 22, 2014 at 8:09 PM

tl;dr. What I gleaned is: 1. Addictive is bad. They don’t say why. 2. They really don’t know if it’s healthy or not, but it’s bad for everyone because they think it might be. 3. It comes in fun flavors, so it must appeal to children.

Basically, “public health” officials want to control as much of your life as possible and they’ll use whatever lame excuse the sheep will accept in order to do so.

Lastly, communities don’t have health. People do. It’s individuals who decide what to do with their bodies, and it’s politicians who think that they have the right to interfere. So they use obfuscating rhetoric like “community health.”

#54 – They can always vaporize marijuana. Smoking is more common because a bunch of busybodies want to control all the other methods of ingestion, thus making it far too expensive to do anything but smoke it. Why not just get your own life and monitor it, rather than stick your nose into the lives of others?

61 Teacher Wannabe July 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Sometimes you have to save people from themselves. If they REALLY wanted to quit, they would, instead of pretending to quit with a device we have no idea the long term effects on users or those around them. Now if smokers were restricted to smoking in their own home, fine, but not where I may be exposed to it.

62 Isabelle July 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM

E-cigarettes are much better than regular cigarettes. Cigarettes contain nicotine, cyanide, ammonia, arsenic and other harmful and cancer causing ingredients. e-cigarettes do not contain any of these ingredients–I think the world is in a state of paranoia.

63 Michelle(original) July 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Some people are more knowledgeable in the field than others and have been for year-which is why most act so foolishly and idiotic.

64 Sandy July 23, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Whew, so glad you guys are commenting. It’s crazy how people want tell us what to do and make laws to see that we do what they think is right. Government should be preventing thievery, murder and bullies.

65 VapinginConcord July 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM

@ Post #57

Exactly what I was going to say. I’m dabbling in making my own and believe me when I say all USA Ejuice vendors and all vendors I have seen in general use exactly the same ingredients as you have listed. None harmful. Its funny how people can be so naive and jump on the bandwagon just because some stupid representative says it might be bad. Do your research if you care, otherwise who cares.

This helped me kick my cigarette habit in a week. I smoked for almost 20 years and tried everything. Problem was I like the smoking sensation. I know people that have smoked twice more then me daily and twice as many years and have since quit smoking the read deal. Most of the big studies and going on the major ecig forums will show a 70%+ rate of effectively quitting smoking for good. Show me anything that has every come close to matching that.

Also whats disgusting is this: Do some research and see who some of the anti ecig supporter’s and where some of their major funding has come from. Trail leads back to tobacco companies. This is killing their market.

And coming from an ex smoker and now ecig user, I can tell you I feel great, I don’t cough at night anymore, I can run miles now, my clothes don’t stink, I’ve saved tons of money and I don’t even have vapor cravings so im in control.

66 Mister Wister July 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM
67 Mister Wister July 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM

@Always Right
Trust me when I tell you that you didn’t win the “brains lottery” in life.

68 Silva July 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM

@ #54/55. You’re funny, and spot on! Thank you!

I’m really very happy to all who’ve quit the lethal tobacco products, I’ve lost 3 very close lifelong friends to these killers, and it wasn’t fun or pretty, and they didn’t end up looking very cool.

To those who are getting your nicotine fixes and oral fixations satisfied by e cigs, if that is what you want to do, I’m totally FOR it. Until there’s real data that proves it’s safe for all those around the vappers I don’t think you should be vapping in church, in the library, In your car with your kids, indoors with your co-workers, in stores, etc. etc. I don’t know if we can hack any more toxins than we are already bombarded with from the many other sources in our daily lives.

69 Silva July 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Atticus Thraxx, that will be interpreted in many ways.

70 Rollo Tomasi July 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM

@philthyphresh #48

Did some quick smartphone research. I was able to find examples of discrimination based on sex, gender, race/ethnicity, religion, sexual preference, age, gender identity and a few other things. Couldn’t find anything that would indicate bans on stupid, filthy habits are discriminatory. If that were true, when the authorities pass a law that makes it a crime to pick your nose, you’d have a case.

71 Futurama July 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Nicotine while addictive is a boutas harmful as caffeine. Both are stimulants neither is good for your heart. The e juice that is used contains few chemicals and you can buy the components to make your own. Mine has 4 only one of which is carcinogenic (nicotine). Is it good for you? No neither is a coke but they do the same damage roughly. Maybe lawmakers are just pissed no money is being exchanged unlike with big tobacco.

72 2014grad July 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM

they dont know what your smoking or ” vaping” – yet all you people who smoke swishers and cigarettes know whats in those? i bet 85% of people who smoke it , don’t know of half the stuff thats in those. Vape liquid comes with the concentrate amount of nicotine. this add is just another person trying to ban Ecigs because theyre getting paid off by tabacco companies.

73 Vindex July 23, 2014 at 6:19 PM

@stoneygirl and @misterwriter
Unless you know what you are talking about you should watch the “you are dead wrong comments”.
Check out the publication found here based on the FACTS!
Smoke it at your own risk, but don’t tell is it is “better” than cigs.

74 redonculous July 23, 2014 at 7:50 PM

My boyfriend quit smoking all together by using an e cigarette, he no longer uses his it and gave it to a friend to help him quit.

And since when should I trust the FDA? They allow aspartame which was found harmful in 90% of studies, and I’m sure the tobacco industries are happy to fund studies that conclude in their favor. Please.

75 Mister Wister July 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM

@Vindex,
You are laughably ignorant. I suggest you view my links, actual research by unbiased scientists. Then read this link.

The fact is, you have no idea what you’re talking about. Not even a little bit. Cigarettes kill the equivalent of two fully loaded jumbo jets crashing every day in just a single year. Cannabis….none. Take your ignorance elsewhere.

76 Anonymous July 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM

@Mister Wister,
Since your “fact” that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to my own medical history and your assertion that I have no more “than a 2nd grade ghetto schooled science education,” please enlighten me to your physician credentials and point me to the exact medical studies (not articles summarizing medical studies) that tell me my medical history is not fact, so I may begin my road to my 3rd grade non-ghetto science education.

-signed, too ghetto and stupid to know my own medical history

77 Aspirin July 24, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I worry more about the people who smoke electronic cigs more than I worry about the cigs themselves. Imagine being so hopelessly weak and addicted that you have to use those things.

78 Mister Wister July 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM

@anonymous 76,
I wasn’t speaking to you, I was speaking to “always wrong”, post #32.