Thousands of Gallons of Water Being Wasted in Concord’s Park-N-Shop

July 19, 2014 · 44 comments

water_wasting

There’s a little water wasting going on in Concord’s Park-N-Shop on Willow Pass Rd.

So these sprinklers at Park-N-Shop have appeared to be broken for about two weeks now. Lets do some math. They cycle every night for about 15 minutes from 10:15pm to 10:30pm. As you can see the fountain is about five and a half feet tall. From the intensity it looks like its pumping out about 10-12 gallons a minute for 15 minutes. Do the math. I thought we were in a drought?

Potentially, these fountains of water could be wasting close to 10,000 gallons of water per month.

Thanks to the anonymous Claycordian for the picture and information!

1 Calendar Girl July 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Thanks to whoever posted this.

2 Antler July 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Excellent start. Please, what did the water district say they would do regarding your report?

3 Fire Hydrant Management July 19, 2014 at 3:20 PM

We see great potential in these seedlings.

4 Water wasting everywhere July 19, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I was at the Wells Fargo in the kohls shopping center on monument last night and had to avoid pools of water all over the sidewalk just to get to the ATM because the small 5×5 planter around the trees were being overwatered and the overspray was all over the sidewalk in the pedestrian paths. I wonder if they will be going after these business owners with deep pockets for violating water rationing or if they will just go after us homeowners with small pockets.

5 Towman July 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM

That’s not good

6 It's not just July 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM

water that’s being wasted. Ever watch them mow the lawn at Todos Santos Plaza? The guy drives that mower over and over, even after the lawn has been cut. That, is a HUGE waste of fuel for the mower. “I” can’t say anything, because I have no clout. But it sure frustrates me. :-(

7 The Realist July 19, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Good luck trying to get the property management to do anything about it. they are second to worst to none, next to Sierra Pacific property management.
Hit them in the pocket book to set a fire under them (haha), the water district should fine them up the yangyang.

8 Marissa July 19, 2014 at 4:23 PM

lol Such a shame :-)

9 Killjoy July 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM

So, if I go out there and reclaim all the wasted water with 5 gallon buckets, will they prosecute me for “stealing” water seeing as I didn’t pay for it?

10 Val July 19, 2014 at 4:42 PM

So other than watch this happen for 2 weeks then notify this site did you attempt to do anything about it?

11 Fire Hydrant Union July 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM

You have to hand it to the new recruits, practice makes perfect,

12 chef July 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM

@ val

I sent in the picture, and to answer your question, NO. Why? Because the construction workers who broke them know about it. Not my problem, so please do me a favor and go home.

13 Water Wings July 19, 2014 at 5:42 PM

At least twice a week city of concord center media on Kirker Pass Rd. just North of intersection with Clayton Rd. floods all three lanes of Northbound Kirker Pass Rd about 5 AM.

14 dinkydau July 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I have been taking my 3min. showers. I turn the water on, get wet, turn the water off, lather up, turn the water back on and then rinse. But seeing and hearing about all the stuff going on with the cities and their water being wasted. Hell, I ain’t goin to do it anymore and will wash off my patio with water rather than seep it off. Don’t care anymore. When I see the lawns being watered on Concord Ave by Starbucks, Hell no. I will take my time in the shower and even wash my car more often.

15 Do the math? July 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I like math problems!

Q1: Time to take this picture and post to the blahg = ?

Q2: Time to phone P & S property managers and inform them of the problem?

A: Q1 = Q2.

16 Big Al July 19, 2014 at 6:03 PM

South of the border work hired again and again. They dont care!

17 Water Fines July 19, 2014 at 6:08 PM

They’re going to focus on homeowners no matter how much commercial and government properties grossly waste water. A lot more fines in it for them that way. Its not about how much water you waste, it’s about making money. Never let a crisis go to waste.

18 Angelina July 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I think we should all grab a bar of soap and a towel and take our showers in the broken sprinklers. At least I won’t have to take a Navy shower at home and I can save MY water!

19 Just Me July 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM

If it’s such a problem then why don’t you run to Home Depot. Purchase a couple plugs and fix the sprinklers. Or go buy new sprinkler heads and install them.

Plugs would cost you maybe $5 total new heads $12. And what a hero you would be.

Instead it’s “not your problem” and you’d rather take pictures, post them online and pretend to be a hero

20 Concordejet July 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I done the same Turn on shower enough to get wet, turn off water enough to be covered up by soap and than turn on water again to rinse. Go Figure.

21 Olive Drive Neighbor July 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Instead of making the anonymous Claycordian the bad guy for taking the picture, how about all of those who are critical call P and S owners yourself?

22 Wayne Ritz July 19, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Yes, lots of waste from the City, BoatWright Fields for one, water will run during the the day, sometimes all day long.

23 Antler July 19, 2014 at 9:20 PM

#11 …….. :-)

24 anon July 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Go to any public school in MDUSD and you will see water being wasted every day by leaking faucets and sprinklers.

25 some people just need witchhunts July 19, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Communists, homosexuals, pot smokers, sport shooters, somebody’s got to be the villian. Now it’s property managers. Godless property managers that don’t regularly inspect their properties at 4am to make sure the sprinklers aren’t over watering.

I equate it to a motorist having a brake light out. Sure it’s their responsibility to maintain their property and fix any problems, but there is no malice involved. We’ve all driven around with a brake light out. The fix it tickets used to be just that. Now you have to get it signed of AND pay a fine, but that’s another topic.

Code enforcement is probably as blissfully unaware as the property managers, because they’re probably asleep while the gutters are getting washed.

Maybe the fireplace police from BAAQMD could patrol commercial zones in the wee hours, looking for run off. Or the Smart Meter folks could install water detectors in every storm drain and we could all go online and enjoy the interactive map of water wasters for the whole region.

26 EliteGuy July 19, 2014 at 10:44 PM

in that neighborhood, they call it AGUA, bro

27 La-A July 19, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Just Me,
the keyboard commando speaketh…since this solutions is sop simple in your eyes, why don’t you go fix the sprinklers on private property?

The Dash don’t be silent

28 VP July 20, 2014 at 7:43 AM

@ Anon 24 – That was what I was going to say. The water pours down the drains and leaves large pools of water at the school at which I work. I reported it several times but nothing is done. It is not just leaking faucets and sprinklers, it is over watering as well.

29 Teacher Wannabe July 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM

At the 4 MDUSD my wife encounter frequently don’t have a leak problem, so don’t lump all schools together. And I’m sure if you check San Ramon, Antioch, Pittsburg, Oakland, etc (I could go on) you would probably find the same situation.

30 Incognito July 20, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I’ve been saying all along commercial properties need to be targeted/inspected first and foremost for issues such as this! Mr. and Mrs. Homeowner will be the first to make repairs when they get their huge water bill!

31 Incognito July 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM

On an added note… a few years back I turned off the water in the women’s bathroom at a campground run by the Reclamation. The faucets were leaking so bad it was literally a steady pour. Pathetic.

32 Aspirin July 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Re: #19: Great idea. Run to Home Depot and buy stuff to fix everything the City doesn’t do? Do you want the responsibility if you break something or “fix” the wrong thing? Better have a good lawyer.

33 Anon July 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM

What has happened to our morals of rightiouness, public report to right people and follow up on them, workers who get report get the ball rolling in the right direction and follow up on them, fixers who are in the field and have power to fix, test, check, retest, and sign off to your superior, and he then passes it back for sign off, simple work mantra. DO IT, take pride in your job, enjoy the power you have been given, go home at night feeling good about yourself and your city. And everyone else keep doing the right thing to help us get through this drought. This is not a school yard problem, it is the entire state of California.

34 EdiBirsan July 20, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Follow Up= as soon as I saw the story I relayed it directly to the Manager of the Property Group (there are 28+ individual owners and one majority manager). He has advised that:

“Hi Edi-Thanks for the concern. We experience sprinkler vandalism every summer. I’ve already spoken to CCWD and the landscaper. ”

So this is under control until the next round of vandals strike.

35 Chevrolet girl July 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Why do so many people blame the person who took the picture? The responsibility lies on the shopping center. First of all they probably didn’t know about until someone said something, then if they don’t fix fine the hell out of them!

36 John Pope July 20, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Let’s make the fine $500 per hour!

37 RANDOM TASK July 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM

uhhhh the council and their thugs are knee deep in p & S so they will steer clear of this

38 itsme July 20, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Mr. Mayor,

This is what I was talking about in the email that I sent to you last week. Municipalities and businesses should not be watering….except the parks. Homeowners have spent thousands of dollars over the years on the yards. We should not be the first ones that are penalized. What we use in water is literally a drop in the bucket compared to the big guys. Come on Concord..take some responsibility!

39 Led July 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Seriously – commercial use is where you could really get some savings, water control people.

40 just a concordian July 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM

@34 EDIBIRSAN

Sprinkler vandals, every summer, and you bought that load of crap? What about the spring sprinkler vandals? Fall and winter? Nice going Mr. City Councilman!

And on unrelated, happier news, hydrant deaths in Co. Co. are at an all time low! Only 6 this year!

41 Horse n around July 21, 2014 at 7:31 AM

@ 40 LOL!!!!

42 Tenshi July 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM

There are a couple of more fountains along Treat Blvd a bit past Turtle Creek.

43 ratstalker July 21, 2014 at 7:39 PM

…and I saw a river going down the street on Clayton Rd. from Haviland Pl. This was far more than one hose could have put out, so I did a u turn, to see what was going on. meh. City irrigation. From Haviland Pl. across the Safeway entrance, all the way to the storm drain before Kirker Pass.

Can the city fine itself?!?

44 Paul Sinz July 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Dear Claycord-

As a representative of the Concord Park & Shop, a Concord resident, and as a private citizen, I thought it would be helpful to your readers to relay a few facts to augment your original post and some of the responses to it.

Damage to the sprinkler system components occurs all throughout the year. Often it is cars running over and damaging the landscaping and irrigation. In the summer, the destruction is often caused by vandals who like to see water shoot into the air.

Park and Shop employs 24/7 security whose responsibilities include (but are not limited to) immediate notification to the landscape contractor of irrigation problems. Upon this notification, the landscape contractor is under permanent direction to initiate repairs the next day. Park and Shop spends between $1,000 and $3,000 monthly to make these repairs.

As to the actual water usage, irrigation timers are programmed to water for three to seven minutes depending on the area (not 15 minutes) on only three days per week (not seven). In an undamaged condition, the half circle heads use 1.65 gallons per minute, and the quarter circle heads use 0.97 gallons per minute.

Park and Shop is 35 acres in area. We have been pro-active in water conservation. During the last drought a 120 foot deep well was drilled on the property with the intention of using the well water for irrigation. We couldn’t test the water without drilling the well; upon testing, we found the well water contained boron which is toxic to evergreen trees. The well is now capped, and is unfortunately not usable for landscaping. We removed much of the ground cover and shrub landscaping, and replaced it with ginger rock requiring no irrigation at all. Most recently, all of the large high water consumption plum trees in the Fry Way median were replaced with drought tolerant pepper trees.

As a result of these measures and the care with which we monitor water usage, Park and Shop’s most recent water bills from the Contra Costa Water District (May-June, 2014) show 29% below baseline usage.

Park and Shop ownership and management will continue to be responsible with our water use. We appreciate the Claycord readership in assisting in that effort.