Concord Man Identified as Victim of Fatal Motorcycle Crash on Marsh Dr.

July 14, 2014 · 77 comments

The California Highway Patrol continues to investigate a crash that killed a 38-year-old motorcyclist near the Buchanan Field Airport in Concord on Friday, a CHP officer said today.

Joshua Dancer of Concord was riding his motorcycle in the 5000 block of Marsh Drive around 3:20 p.m. Friday when a woman driving a Pontiac sedan turned into a parking lot directly in the motorcyclist’s path, according to CHP Officer John Fransen.

Unable to stop his motorcycle, Dancer was ejected into an eastbound lane of Marsh Road and the bike went into the roadway and was hit by an Acura driver, Fransen said.

CHP officers arriving on scene found Dancer suffering from major injuries. He died at the scene.

No other injuries were reported in the crash.

While Dancer appears to have been driving above the speed limit, the woman involved in the crash, a 38-year-old Martinez resident, should have been able to see him before turning in front of him, Fransen said.

However, investigators have yet to determine who was at fault for the collision or whether drugs or alcohol were involved, he said.

Anyone who witnessed the crash is asked to call the CHP Contra Costa area office at (925) 646-4980.

1 Michelle July 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Condolences to Joshua’s family, this is a very hard loss. Riders, ride safe.

2 rides_with_angels July 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Rest in paradise my amazing friend….I’ll be missing you. Save a seat for me on Wednesday nights <3 I love you with all I have

3 Leigha July 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM

He was my friend. :(
I will miss him.

4 maria July 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM

OMG I saw when he was on the floor I can’t believe this

5 KJ July 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM

This is a reminder to please be aware while you drive. As I rider myself I’ve almost been hit serval times because people don’t look. And I ride very cautiously.. Please check twice, it’s a dent in your car but someone else’s life . RIP Josh

6 Road King Terry July 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM

very sad, be safe riders!

7 N.C. Biker... July 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I did not know him, but he is my brother.
Condolences to his family.

8 Shirley Wilson July 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Heartbreaking. Having lost two of my own children, one in 2007 and another last December I am feeling very sorry for his mother. 38 years old is just too soon to leave.

9 JET July 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I didn’t know him or his family, but after looking on Facebook at his photos, he looks like he was a very nice guy who was a great father/son/brother/etc. So sad when I hear stories like this, even when I don’t know who it is. My thoughts and prayers with the family and friends – I have lost a few friends suddenly so I know exactly what you must be going through. Hang in there.

RIP

10 What security July 14, 2014 at 12:23 PM

God our Father,
Your power brings us to birth,
Your providence guides our lives,
and by Your command we return to dust.

Lord, those who die still live in Your presence,
their lives change but do not end.
I pray in hope for his family,
relatives and friends,
and for all the dead known to You alone.

In company with Christ,
Who died and now lives,
may they rejoice in Your kingdom,
where all our tears are wiped away.
Unite us together again in one family,
to sing Your praise forever and ever.

Amen.

11 Psycho Cat July 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM

This is so so sad all the way around. My heart breaks for the victim’s family and friends. God Speed to all of you. The motorcycle was probably approaching faster than the woman thought and she didn’t have enough time to turn. What’s a couple seconds? Let the traffic pass, and then turn. Peace and Prayers go out to everyone.

12 MommyOf2 July 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I knew him well. He was an amazing man. I am very happy I got to know him and call him my friend. We will love and miss him forever.

13 BlankOne July 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I rolled up on this scene shortly after it had happened, and saw the cars involved as well as the rider and his bike. The car was so far away from any driveway in either direction it appeared to me that she was looking at the fire going on at the same time and veared into the oncoming lane and hit Josh. He was a dear friend to my best friend and her friends as well and will be missed by all of them. I just wish The CHP would not hide the facts to protect someone from the tragedy that they caused. RIP Josh.

14 slagheap July 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

this is how most motorcyclists are killed – goddamned blind-ass car drivers make a left turn into the path of the bike. makes me FURIOUS! yank her license!!!

15 Miss my pal July 14, 2014 at 3:42 PM

He was a close friend and co-worker. One of the very best men I ever had the pleasure of knowing.
Rest in peace “Big Dodge”. Godspeed.

16 @ BlankOne July 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM

A very sad situation made worse by the insensitive comments of a yahoo.

If you had actually looked with your eyes you would have seen that the car was turning into a driveway and did, in fact, come to a stop part way into the driveway to the moving company offices. I don’t think the CHP is involved in any grand conspiracy to protect someone.

17 Elwood July 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM

@ slagheap #14

Bikes are small, hard to see and often moving at unexpectedly high speed.

The responsibility is on the rider.

18 @ Elwood July 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Interesting theory. Kind of takes you off the hook if you ever kill a motorcyclist or bicyclist. It was all there fault for not seeing you as you pulled out in front of them.

19 J July 14, 2014 at 7:15 PM

20 Old Kezar Guy July 14, 2014 at 7:17 PM

No matter the speed of rider, 100% car driver’s fault, pulling a left into oncoming traffic.

21 Jerk July 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Blank One is correct.
Last I checked it was 45 mph through there. Really!??! Was she turning into the old Kiewit building, For What?
She was looking at the fire.
I know many of you wish that I would, but this ridiculousness is the reason I don’t ride too often. Too many nimrods that got their Kracker Jack licenses from the DMV and have absolutely NO business behind the wheel of a car.

22 Lost and Happy July 14, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I get what you are saying Elwood, but bikes are not hard to see if someone removes themselves from the obligatory text, or the mentality that “i am in a hurry” and other rush excuses people in vehicles think while half ass looking before they commit to turning in front of other vehicles. I guess what I am saying is motorcycles don’t appear out of no where and if people actually pay attention you can spot them before they spot you….. chances are most riders already have seen the potential threat.

RIP Joshua and condelences to friends and family

23 Miss my pal July 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Whether you drive a car, truck, motorcycle, scooter, skateboard, bike or horse, or just a walking pedestrian. We are all a valued life on the road. Mind and care for us all. Stay safe.

24 @Elwood July 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM

You never fail to post something stupid. This time is no exception.

25 J July 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM

#16 why would chp hide anything? Would they have anything to gain? This is clearly an incident where of a wreckless mc driver was speeding. Rip lets not let his life go to waste and let this be a lesson for others.

26 Marianne July 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Elwood, not all bikes are small and hard to see, even those on lone motorcycles. All people have to do is look…

27 It's a tie... July 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Between the always idiotic Elwood and J ,
moron in training, for the King Richard award!
Congrats to you both, H8S SUUUUCK!

28 Lari July 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

My condolences to this man’s family and friends. It’s really dangerous out there..the roads are worse than ever, I find.

29 Elwood July 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Too bad for those of you who don’t like my posts.

I am the reality man.

30 Marianne July 14, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Well, Elwood, I am from Claycord and I cannot find any reality in your posts. Mostly gibberish……

31 Maria July 14, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Plenty irresponsible and full-of-themselves riders. Today at close to 5pm. Rider could not wait for light to go green, he crossed intersection….red light there (not beating but intentional – what, he thought he was special he could not wait. This was on corner Grayson and Taylor….. I see plenty of them, running at high speed.

32 J July 14, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Bikes are extremely hard to see when they are gunning it.. You can say what you want but if he was going the speed limit he would be alive. Im with elwood on this one which is the reality.

33 sincerest condolences July 15, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Knew Josh a long time ago, and he was a great guy then. We’ve lost a good one.

As for the comments about who is at fault. You are obviously not part of this investigation, or you wouldn’t be writing your opinion on a public blog. That being, you are nobody. The opinions expressed in your posts are nothing more than accident analysis from home, a joke. This isn’t funny time.

34 juan doe July 15, 2014 at 4:51 AM

35 Nutcreek Frontier July 15, 2014 at 7:35 AM

My condolences to his family, it sounds as if he was a wonderful guy. I lost my brother to a motorcycle accident, and I have a plea for bikers with families…you could be the safest rider in the world, but you will still be hard for cars to see. Really consider if you have young family/loved ones: motorcycle fatality rates, the high probability of serious accidents, and the possibility of leaving grieving family behind. Sadly, no matter whom is at fault in a car/motorcycle accident, the bike usually loses.

36 rides_with_angels July 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM

he was mine and my fiance’s best friend….brother in fact…this hurts more than you strangers know…i know a lot of us want answers, more so than someone to blame. all i know and feel right now is a loved one and an amazing person was taken too soon from us. he put his friends and family before anything and anyone..i just hope instead of a blog fued, all those take a moment out of the day and love each other. tomorrow is not promised, and what you say now, might not be able to be taken back later..
just know a lot of ppl are in a surreal state and ache right now..please, be thoughtful
ride with the angels Josh…save a seat for us <3 love you always

37 Bikers July 15, 2014 at 8:08 AM

My husband, brother & many friends ride. Yes, they love the freedom, wind, open road. Mostly they are safe defensive drivers. I made hubby take out a big life insurance policy should anything happen. Many cars drivers don’t see or understand motorcycles/riders. A few motorcycle riders are juicing for speed.

God Bless the Family. RIP.

38 Mamatosix July 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Children are hard to see too is it their fault when they get hit? One of the first things I learned when I got in the Safestway car for my lesson was be aware of EVERYTHING. No matter how much I watch out when I ride my motorcycle… there are always people not paying attention. And if people are making a left turn in front of on coming traffic it is their responsibility to be sure it is clear and safe. When in doubt wait.
I am so sorry for the friends & families loss. Sending love and comfort your way.

39 Neva Rowden July 15, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I see riders everywhere and as a driver in a CAR you need to be AWARE of everything on the road, whether a Motorcycle, Bicycle car or pedestrian. Just yesterday I WAITED for a bicyclist to cross an intersection that I was making a right turn into. I know Josh, I know his family but that doesn’t mean I am biased! WE ALL need to be more vigilant in Our Deadly Cars PERIOD!!

40 Nikki July 15, 2014 at 9:07 AM

He was a dear friend I have known since Junior High. I’ll miss him dearly as I have not seen him in two years. I have lost my own brother tragically as well and know what his family and friends are going through. Sending healing energy to all of them. The world lost a good soul and he will me greatly missed

41 Insidious J July 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM

This man was an incredible individual. He always had a smile on his face. He was always able to make the people around him smile as well. I am grateful to have known him and called him friend. Accidents happen everyday without prejudice. Not fault. No blame. To ask why with something like this will do no good. It does not change anything. He will still be gone. He will still be missed. Tomorrow is not a given. Today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.

42 Anon777 July 15, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I disagree with Elwood, EVERYONE has a responsibility to pay attention when they are on the road, not just motorcyclists.

43 rides_with_angels July 15, 2014 at 9:42 AM

i love you Insidious J…i love all my friends <3 thank you for the amazing words

44 BikerChick July 15, 2014 at 9:47 AM

What a terrible tragedy. May this man rest in peace. Hope his family will heal in time. So sad.

45 Neverceasestoamazeme July 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM

yes, terrible tragedy…. I drive that route almost daily and have been surprised there has not been more accidents. Both cars and motorcycles I have seen going 60 to 90 MPH on this stretch of road. Whatever the cause you have the loss of one life and the other one living her/his life knowing they caused an accident that took a life. We are human and humans make mistakes.
Just as the motorcyclist did not start out the day thinking this his was his last day on earth , I do not believe the car at fault really started out the day saying this is the day I kill someone. Accidents happen.

46 Silva July 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Sincere condolences to Josh’s friends and family. Drivers of cars and trucks must never assume they know what’s coming. You must ALWAYS know. It’s not rocket science.

So sorry for your loss also, Shirley Wilson. There but for the Grace of God go all of us.

47 Danny Ferrara July 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Does anybody know if Josh went to YV

48 Just Sayin' July 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Was she talking on the phone while driving? Did he have his headlight on?

49 @Danny Ferrara July 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM

His FB page mentions YV

50 Robin July 15, 2014 at 6:31 PM

People please just respect these folks. Give your condolence and say god bless but don’t try to condemn anyone as you were not there.
May the family and friends of Josh find peace and forgiveness in their hearts. My sincere condolences to your family for their loss, God Bless

51 anon July 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

“a CHP officer told me the gage broke off and said 6000 rpms , and the bike was in 5th gear. thats fast.”

yup — WAY TO FAST

” I made hubby take out a big life insurance policy should anything happen.”

ha ha ha you get the money upon his untimely death–how self serving of you..then you can get another man in a better life style

52 Kim July 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

@Danny Ferrara
Yes he did go to YV..

53 jeff s July 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Unbelievable. Do we not understand the right of way in traffic situations. Speeding or not. Guaranteed that everyone in this situation was speeding. I spoke to the paramedic that responded. The road is notorious for this. Please refrain from leaving stupid bias comments about motorcyclists. This is not the time. If you cant see a motorcycle or gauge their speed, you should not have a licence. And it is no excuse for spacing out at the wheel.

54 jeff s July 15, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Josh was my best good friend. He was for many of us.

55 SoSad July 15, 2014 at 9:45 PM

My world fell apart. This is by far the worst thing to ever happen to me. I will never be the same. I am forever changed. This is way too close to home, I probably shouldn’t even be commenting. Thank you for the kind comments, they mean everything. He is greatly missed.

56 Why? July 15, 2014 at 10:30 PM

For those of you suffering…. Why check the Claycord comment section? This is notoriously a bunch of incredibly insensitive, know it all, desk top tough guys who say stuff they would never say in public or to anyone’s face. Grieve amongst your friends and family and don’t read this crap.

57 anon July 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM

” Please refrain from leaving stupid bias comments about motorcyclists.”

I have been driving since 1964 & see unreal, illegal & unsafe M/C riders every day. I can say what I want–this is a blog. I doubt the family is reading this–they have better things to do…one would think.

58 fem rider July 16, 2014 at 3:44 AM

I have been riding for over 10 years and shame on all of you for saying it was the riders fault! Cars have more time to react than a rider on two wheels does! Slam on your breaks in a car.. you might skid a little.. slam on your breaks on a bike.. good chance you’re gonna high e and crash. It IS the responsibility of everyone on the road to look and be aware of everything around them. There is no excuse for her pulling out in front of him except for neglegence. Motorcycles are not hard to see if you are looking and paying attention the way you should be while driving. Some of you say motorcycles are too fast to see.. well then at those speeds you should definitely hear them coming! so enough with the BS excuses for the driver.

Also IMHO, its very unlikely he was in 5th gear at RPM’s in the 6000’s. That’s got to be over 100 MPH. My guess would be that the throttle cable might have gotten pinned sometime during the crash.

My heart goes out to this young man’s family and friends. Godspeed Josh

59 fem rider July 16, 2014 at 3:46 AM

*high side

60 Katheo July 16, 2014 at 4:39 AM

This is sooo stupid, someone died, it was an accident, neither the woman driving the car nor Joshua meant for it to happen.She didn’t murder him, he didn’t want to die! She will have to live with the fact she killed someone, and he died doing something he loved. I am sorry for their families,forever changed. I ride my bike everyday,it is dangerous, and that’s part of the attraction, thrill , fun,whatever you seek.I am also very careful when there is traffic. When you crash, we all have or will, it is your choice not to have the safety of air bags, seat belts and tons of metal to protect you. What fun would that be? Might as well drive a car

61 xoxox RIP JSD xoxox July 16, 2014 at 5:12 AM

I am family. I didn’t know this site was known for having insensitive comments as I’ve never needed to look anything up that lead me here.

As far as “having better things to do,” looking up news articles to see if there is any new information is one of the things I am doing. Its hard to ignore, when its heavy on the mind. Yes, I am trying to stay busy and comfort his other loved ones. And for me, I feel the need to google his name & see if there has been any new information published.

And we all see cars speeding every day that we drive. I don’t understand the need to point out that some mc drivers speed. Of course they do. They also drive cars and probably speed in those, too. Have hou ever speed? Though I never speed now, when I was younger, I was foolish and did. I think trying to place blame is a waste of time at this point. We can only speculate. When the accident report comes out, we will know soon enough. Either way, I have to live the rest of my life without him.

62 jeff s July 16, 2014 at 6:18 AM

1964 an blogging. I think you need a different hobby. Lawn bowling maybe. I hope they instate testing of the elderly at the dmv. Maybe you shouldnt be on the road either

63 Silva July 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM

If a tragedy should befall me that becomes public, I hope to God I don’t read comments here. I’m so sorry for your pain. He sounds like a great guy and a good man.

64 Mike July 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I am blown away at the stupidity of some on the comments of these people. I ride a Harley Davidson and do not speed. I am always aware of everyone around me as i know a crash for me would have possible fatal results. I have drivers ALWAYS changing lanes in front of me and i watch them not look in the mirror or turn their head before making that change. A man has lost his life and we should not comment on who is at fault until an investigation is complete. One thing i have learned in life is that stupid people show you everyday by just opening their mouth.

RIP Joshua

65 Debra Y July 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM

RIP Josh. You were one heck of a guy. This world is much less without you.

And, to: John B, Jonathan, Missy, Jenny, Pat, Samantha and kids…. sending you heartfelt prayers.

66 All be careful July 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Not only the driver, but pedestrians, motorcycle riders and all need to take responsibility! I see pedestrians with their ear phones walking and crossing the streets like zombies! No one show them they need to look around before crossing the streets! There are a lot if factors and sometime the Sun is on your face and u can see people. C’mon!

67 Mommyof2 July 16, 2014 at 4:51 PM

People speed whether in cars, or on bikes. My husband and I used to ride with Josh. He was not an unsafe rider. People need to open their eyes more, period. Look out for other cars, people, motorcyclists, bicyclists. If there is something you want to see, pull over. If you get a text and it “can’t wait” check it at a stop light. Not saying the woman that hit my friend was doing either of those things. But being overly cautious is always the best bet.
We will always love and miss you Josh.

68 Mommyof2 July 16, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Just stop blaming this amazing man who lost his life. His family and friends and are in mourning. We lost someone we loved. This isn’t the time or place for insensitive comments.

69 Atticus Thraxx July 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM

It’s a public, and for all practical purposes un-moderated blog and people here will just scream any dumbass thing into the ether. And for the most part they don’t give a damn what kind of pain your in. Incapable of caring from what I can tell.
If you still come here and read the comments, that’s kinda on you.

70 anon July 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM

It doesn’t matter if he was speeding or not. Although he was in fact unable to stop in time, she still turned in front of him. This could of happened to anyone, regardless of their speed. At the end of the day, a family has lost a loved one. People should be more respectful of that. Also, stop commenting trying to add to the story just because you’re bored. It’s disturbing.

71 anonn July 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM

“This should be a wake up call for mc drivers to slow down.. Drivers cannot react to speeding motorcycles.. There isnt enoung time. Obey the speed limit. Speed kills. Im surprised more motorcyclists are injured the way i see them driving around claycord.”

In this case, she didn’t need to react to anything. She was supposed to check to see if traffic was coming because she was TURNING. Which means she has to slow down, maybe stop, and WAIT for oncoming traffic.

72 Anon July 17, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Ridiculous that someone said he ran a red light when this accident did not actually occur at an intersection with lights.

73 Marianne July 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM

That always happens, Anon.

74 Jessimica July 18, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Josh was a great friend and a very safe rider, he took all the precautions and was not a speed junkie on his bike. This was a tragedy and should not be pinned on him as his fault at all, facts state “a person turned in front of him” so how could that accident been avoided?? Everybody talks about how people need to be aware and not speed but let’s face it EVERYBODY SPEEDS! Have a heart and keep your ignorant rants about society to yourself, if you don’t know him do not speculate…. that is just inconsiderate.

Love you Josh! You will be in our hearts forever <3

75 Judi/Ricky Smith July 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM

My son went to school with Josh, and he was in and out of our house during all those years, and vice versa, Ricky was always at his house too. We all lost touch after so many years, but it still hurts, no matter what. Rest in Peace Josh, your old buddy and I will have you and your family in our prayers. Pat and entire family, we are so sorry for your loss…

76 jmom July 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Saw the scene driving home from work that day never would I have imagined a week later I would discover my classmate was taken from us at such a young age. My heart goes out to his loved ones and may your legacy live on you will be missed.

77 Cee July 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM

From the view point of the lady turning into the driveway at 5000 Marsh, she had no view of the fire over by Kender’s back lot area, the building at 5000 totally blocked that view. So for anyone to say she was watching the fire, this could not have been possible. Mr Dancer was at an extreme excellerated speed, if travelling the 45 mph the vehicle had ample time to enter the driveway from first sight of bike and not hamper Mr. D”s path whatsoever. I am a former rider and will stand for the biker’s safety, but some take chances as did he and they lose. It was tragic and I feel sad for him and his family. Be safe and enjoy life.