UPDATE x2: Marsh Creek Rd. Fire Now 120-Acres, 60% Contained – Evacuations Lifted

July 12, 2014 · 39 comments

firefiremarshcreek

The fire on Marsh Creek Rd. near Aspara Dr. just east of Clayton is now 120-acres and 60% contained, according to CalFire.

CalFire also announced all evacuations on Bragdon Way have been lifted.

The blaze started on Friday night around 10pm after a vehicle crashed into a power pole, knocking power lines into the dry brush.

Marsh Creek Rd. will remain closed until at least 10am today due to the large amount of emergency vehicles in the area. Please use an alternate route.

Thanks to the anonymous Claycordian who sent the picture, which was taken right after the fire started.

For the latest information on this blaze, please visit the CalFire Marsh Fire Incident Page by clicking ON THIS LINK.

RELATED STORY: UPDATE: 100 Acre Fire Burning on Marsh Creek Rd. Near Clayton

UPDATE: Due to better mapping, CalFire now says the fire on Marsh Creek is 80 acres and 80% contained. They previously said the fire was 120 acres. Fire should be extinguished within the next few hours and the road should be back open shortly.

1 Lari July 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Oh, no! So that’s why I was hearing so many sirens last eve. I was going to check in with Claycord.com (because they always have the scoop), but I became distracted…

2 Cracky McGee July 12, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Any word on the driver?

3 Abiding Dude July 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Now that I know there were no injuries from this accident. Who is the asshat I can send the bill to for all the contents of my refrigerator? Please people DO NOT use Marsh Creek Road as a highway.

4 Killjoy July 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM

How is the archery range?

5 @#4 July 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Absolutely. We live out here and are so sick of the reckless driving by people cutting through. Constant wrecks and no enforcement.

6 Pat July 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Good luck Abiding Dude . Marsh creek road has been used for over 60 years the houses have been built more resently . Sorry about the contents of your refrigerator but glad no one was hurt on the accident.

7 JKB July 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM

No idea who the driver was . But, you may have a claim under a homeowners or renters policy for damages suffered due to power outage resulting from the crash. If no insurance you might be able to get the accident report and sue in small claims court to get the driver’s insurance company to reimburse you for damages caused by the crash.

8 @3 & @5 July 12, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Did I miss where it said the responsible party was using Marsh Creek as a highway?
It may well have been a local.

9 Resident July 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I’ve lived here for many years (15 plus) and Marsh Creek Road was not a highway until about the last seven years when people started avoiding Hwy 4 by using Deer Valley Road to Marsh Creek to Ygnacio Valley. Add to that the bicyclists who think THEY own the road and the people who think Marsh Creek Road is a race track and you have a recipe for disaster. I rarely see the CHP back here.

10 Abiding Dude July 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM

@resident
I agree with everything you say.

@8
How do I know it’s not a Marsh Creek resident?
Residents don’t drive off the road

11 Local July 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Thank you to all of the response teams that got the fire out quickly saving homes, livestock and wildlife. Last night the winds were whipping and this could have been devastating.

“Highway” drivers or locals in the evening hours we often here people FLYING up the hill, often on Motorcycles. It’s as if the switch to the 2 lane road begs them to challenge it. I have lived here for almost 30 years and it has always been a deadly mix.

12 Munzers July 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I agree abiding dude. I am so sick of people crashing on this road because they think they can drive fast and that they know what they’re doing. We have lived here 2 years now and have seen countless negligent driving accidents. Not only was my power out but I got to sit here until 1am just to be sure the fire didn’t jump the road and come towards my home, family, friends, and memories.

13 b July 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Is marsh creek open yet?

14 Would like to know. July 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Did they have insurance?, glad they are ok,
But who will end up paying for this,( as if I didn’t
Know)?

15 Antler July 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Local at #11 …… Very glad to know evacuations went well…and with no structures damaged (so far as we have heard).

Marsh Creek Road seemed to be a leisurely drive when we drove it beginning in 1960. It became noticeably worse when Discovery Bay and other development in East County boomed. At one point (and perhaps still?), commuters from Modesto/Merced treated it like a “short cut” to Hwy.12 and on to San Francisco……I.e. they avoided using I-580, etc..

And of course as Morgan Territory Road and the eastern sections outlying Clayton became more heavily settled, that added to the dangers. My opinion is that Marsh Creek Road already needs to be increased to two lanes in each direction, especially to handle emergency evacuation in this earthquake-vulnerable state.

Be safe!

16 #5 July 12, 2014 at 5:42 PM

#9 and #10 nailed it. It could have been a resident, but doubtful. #8, I think you are commenting without experiencing or seeing what we do every day. The driving situation on Marsh Creek has gotten stupid. Come take a drive out here and look at all the broken car parts in the corners. Wrecks constantly. There are a few people who live out here that drive like jerks too, but almost every one I see appears to be passing through and very often has a Brentwood auto dealer plate frame or Discovery Bay plate frame.

17 Larry July 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM

@9 I agree with everything you say also. The almost zero enforcement makes it worse.The only time you see C.H.P. or the Sheriff is when there is an accident. Dont’ get me started on the bike riders,Way to many of them are rude and ignorant.Where there is no bike lane,they should be banned from Marsh Creek Road for their own safety and everyone elses.But they are “entitled”.Pisses me off.

18 Military mom July 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Is it back open yet? Google maps said it was, and alas, I found out the hard way it was not. Heading back home soon and would like to know if I have to take the long way. :(

19 Momo July 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Yes there are a lot of accidents on marsh creek. But unfortunately almost every road in the claycord area has become like that. People drive too fast. They think traffic laws do not aply to them. There have been 13 car accidents in front of my house in the 12 years I have lived in it.

20 countrygal July 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Marsh creek is open.please drive safely

21 Madge Bernischwartz July 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Ohhh! That looks just like the lava flow we saw on the big island of Hawaii on our anniversary trip last year. It was our 42nd! The flight was awful & all they served us was deli sandwiches & chips (Oy! talk about 2nd rate). Kyle was sleeping most of the way over so he didn’t care that the movie screen was too far to see clearly or that the stewardess was so slow I only had 3 drinks all the way from San Francisco to Waimea-Kohala Airport on the big island and of course I had to pee just when we were landing & told to be seated & put on our safety belts. Lava & pineapples are the only things there are to see on the big island, but when we went to Oahu two days later I was on the Pearl Harbor tour and you would not believe how many Japanese people are there! It was as if they’d won the war. We were standing on the memorial & they were smiling and taking pictures. I thought Kyle was going to do something foolish & violent but he just shrugged his shoulders & said ” We can go to Hiroshima next year & do the Bottle Dance at Genbaku Dōmu” he’s such a wimpy schmuck, but what a nice photo! There was a fire somewhere?

22 @5 July 13, 2014 at 6:05 AM

I am #8 and for your information I drove Marsh Creek daily for two years and still drive it twice a week, so yes I’m very familiar with it.
My comment was aimed at the assumptions that run rampant on this site, since someone crashed they had to be a commuter driving too fast right?

Combine commuters driving too fast with locals pulling their horse trailers way too slow with no consideration of others and accidents happen.

How’s that for an assumption?

23 Uh... July 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Madge, you may need to reduce your meds a bit.
There has been a majority of Japanese in
the Hawaiian islands years before WWII.
We can’t forget our wars, but must get past
them and move forward.
Modern wars are fought in Board rooms these
days.

24 Blah blah blah July 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Funny most of the “locals” of marsh creek and Morgan territory I know:
a. Drive it the fastest
b. Off road on it
c. will pass people over the double yellows
and d. have had an accident on that road

Oh and some off them live(d) right next door to the fire just saying thought I know it was none of them since I would have heard from them about.

25 Horse n around July 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I’m in no rush, but, isn’t there a law that say’s if you have 5 cars behind you and you are going slower, you should pull over and let them pass. Or is that something that my parents told me growing up near Marsh Creek, as a courtesy?

26 Michael July 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM

The Fire District could have shown the professional courtesy of posting a sign just outside of Clayton (near Rodies or Diablo View Middle School) notifying drivers that the road was still closed well into Saturday afternoon.

I drove out March Creek Road well after the fire was 90% contained (per the Cal Fire website) after 3PM and was turned back by a police officer in his squad car. He, unfortunately was not privy to any info on when the road would re-open, and ALSO ASKED Fire Department officials to post a sign about the road closure. As it was, it was a waste of 10 miles (to and from Clayton) for hundreds of vehicles on Saturday.

27 Cowellian July 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Well played, Tony Curtis!

28 Blah blah blah July 13, 2014 at 1:20 PM

@Horse n around

I was told that too, though no one else ever seems to follow that law I have seen as many as twenty cars behind a slower car not pulling over.
and it does exist:V C Section 21656 Turning Out of Slow Moving Vehicles

Turning Out of Slow-Moving Vehicles

21656. On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow-moving vehicle, including a passenger vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the authority having jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed. As used in this section a slow-moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.

Amended Ch. 448, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

link https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21656.htm

29 KAD July 13, 2014 at 2:53 PM

There are few, if any, turn out areas on Marsh Creek. The area is so beautiful people should enjoy the scenery To locals, all of us have to endure non locals driving though our community.

30 Blah blah blah July 13, 2014 at 3:21 PM

@ KAD

There are many places with “sufficient area for a safe turnout exists” on that road, I have done so myself. People are just rude or ignorant of the laws and other drivers. I have been behind people going less then 25 down that road with a line of cars behind them.

31 KAD July 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I am always going the speed limit when I drive on Marsh Creek. Since I rarely drive it, I am not as familiar with upcoming turnouts as someone who drives it every day.

32 Clasping Forehead July 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM

There are plenty of turnouts. But most are so near a curve behind you that if you pull off-road, you cannot safely get back onto the road.

It is a ranchland and stable area. Naturally if you are pulling a horse trailer with horses inside, you take that road slowly. You want to go speedway mph, then stay the bleep off Marsh Creek.

33 ..... July 13, 2014 at 6:35 PM

The road status was posted on the CHP webpage and updated periodically throughout Saturday.

34 Larry July 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM

How about this for an idea?Get out of bed 5 minutes sooner in case someone in front of you chooses to drive the speed limit and stay on their side of the road.

35 Marissa July 13, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I never speed along marsh creek, my son’s friend died on that road because of it.

36 Blah blah blah July 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Who said anything about freeway speeds? That road is 45 mph and the only 35 mphs and 25 mph are around turns. I do not drive it daily only when I go to visit friends and family out there. And horse trailers doing 25 are rare compared to the people who drive it and are afraid to actually do it at a responsible rate.

37 Roy Parker July 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM

@5 horse trailers having to speed to prevent a backup is not the option. As others have pointed out yes there are turnouts but there is no way to safely get back on the road so no I will not jeopardize my horses safety to satisfy someone in a hurry. I know of a local who has rolled his truck 3 times so I would have to say the idiocy comes from locals and commuters.

38 RunDogRun July 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Anything above 35 mph is too
fast for that road. I do pull off
to allow others to pass, because
I like to enjoy the scenery. It is
the closest thing to a scenic
route that we have in the area.
I believe the speed limit should
be reduced on that stretch to
discourage people using it as
a commute route.

39 Larry July 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Start a new thread.This was supposed to be about the fire,not the asses that think Marsh Creek Road is their private freeway.