The Water Cooler – Children in Danger

July 10, 2014 · 38 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on Claycord.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it! The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon!

Today’s question:

On Wednesday, a child apparently fell out of a shopping cart at Concord Costco, hit his head and had to be airlifted to the hospital.

If you saw a child who was in danger (example: standing in a shopping cart, running in a crowded parking lot, etc.), would you say something to his or her parents? And if the situation was reversed, and somebody said something to you about your child, would you appreciate the feedback or would you be upset?

Talk about it….

1 Anon July 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM

They will to you to F### off

2 SKS July 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

3 Incognito July 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM

They key word here is “in danger”
Yes, I would intervene in some way if I witnessed a child in potential danger, particularly if the parent(s) appeared to be oblivious of the situation. As for the reversed situation, how would one be upset by someone stepping forward if it prevented a possible bad ending.

I also do not hesitate to say something to my friends’ kids when they visit my house if they don’t know how to behave. If you don’t know how to teach your kids to behave, then I’ll do it for you.

4 Counting July 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Yes, have before, will in the future despite some
often nasty replies from the persons involved.
I would rather say something than not for my
own peace of mind. Oh yah, 8 days and counting!

5 Original G July 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Have cautioned parents in the past and will do so in the future.
It is not if something is going to go wrong, but when.

When you are in a business take a few seconds and look around.
Example, are there long plastic cable ties holding pricing and product information to shelves with the uncut ends sticking out at eye level of children? Had that corrected at a Large chain hardware store over by DMV.

Was in a well known bank last week on Clayton Rd. and at floor level there was an access panel missing with wires and cables visible. A magnet for small children while a parent is dealing with a teller. Bank employees didn’t notice it or perceive it as a problem, until it was mentioned to them.

6 Maverick July 10, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I would and always do speak up. The parent is usually embarrassed and that’s why they might get upset. It takes a village to raise a child, especially when it’s full of village idiots.

7 Marissa July 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I’m really not sure what i’d say to a parent if I saw a child running in a crowded parking lot or climbing a tree. Are we as a society really that far removed from reality?

8 wow July 10, 2014 at 12:30 PM

if a child is standing in a shopping cart, running in a crowded parking lot or basically doing anything that shows the parent has no control then speaking to their parent is useless.

9 Concord1963 July 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM

The safety of the child is first and foremost! Depending on the situation I might look around to see if parents are aware of the danger their child is in and then react appropriately or if danger is immediate I would react first, then deal with parents.

10 CrayZ July 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM

i don’t have kids and am not experienced with them either. but if i saw a child doing something dangerous and the parent was watching them, then its not my business to speak because its not my kid so i wouldn’t say anything. if i saw a kid doing something dangerous and NOBODY was around supervising, then i would try to help them or find a parent to let them know. if i had children and they were doing something dangerous without me being around i would hope someone would be kind enough to assist them, but if i was around….then let me take care of my kid on my own! nothing is more annoying than someone who thinks they know everything and tries to control a situation that is none of their business.

11 Led July 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM

1. If they are really in danger, then yes.

2. There’s any number of ways a kid could fall and hit their heads that don’t imply parental negligence. Accidents do happen, although we would like to think that only other people are stupid enough to let them.

12 The Mamba July 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM

If it were something like a child trying to stand up in the cart, or running in a parking lot, I would help out. I understand how difficult it can be, so I wouldn’t presume to judge them and say anything unless it were something negligent. You could turn your back for a second and any of those things could happen.

13 Cowellian July 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM

One of the new laws that went into effect of July 1st, here in Tennessee, is protection from charges or lawsuits for people who break a car window to rescue a child locked in an overheated car. I think that’s pretty cool.

14 RealityCheck July 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Absolutely would not say a darn thing.
Let Darwinism run its course.
A good parent would not need reprimanding; a bad parent just doesn’t care. Some moron lets their kid get hurt? Oh well.
No one’s problem but the idiot parent. (Kid probably doesn’t have much of a chance in life anyway, with such a parent.)

15 Original G July 10, 2014 at 1:05 PM

“… speaking to their parent is useless.”
Not everyone comes fully equipped at being a parent, I certainly wasn’t.
Most are doing to their kids what was done to or for them when they were kids. Some could be preoccupied, on their cell phone etc., being less vigilant than they should.

Consider this, if a parent is talked to on different occasions by several people, they may just realize there’s a problem. By saying something you could affect a kids future.
Is that worth the effort?

Trust me when I tell you, having to live with the knowledge that saying something could have made a difference is something I hope you never experience.

16 DMZ July 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I used to work at Lafayette Safeway. I witnessed first hand what can happen when a child falls out of a cart. It’s not good.
Every time I saw a child,I felt was not safe I would say something.
Only to be chewed out by the passive parents.
I am so very sorry for this child.
I pray all goes well for the child,

17 Atticus Thraxx July 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Clear and present danger sure. By whatever means necessary. Otherwise I don’t give a damn how you raise your kids. Just don’t give them stupid names.

18 MadMom July 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I have and would again. You can be kind when pointing out the child is in danger. I haven’t had anyone get truly upset…yet.

19 TJ Jones July 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Concur with #14.

20 Just Me July 10, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Nope. It’s none of my business. If the kid gets hurt then so be it. It’s not my job to save the future idiots

21 LostBoysMom July 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM

My year old son fell out of the cart. He stood up when I had my back turned for just a moment. Luckily he was ok but now when I see a kid standing in a cart I tell the child to sit down so they won’t get hurt. Often the parent is right there but does not see the risk. I didn’t really until it happened to me.

22 DangerDangerDanger July 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I would say something if danger were eminent such as a child running in a parking lot behind a car backing up. Otherwise, I would let the parent deal with it.

23 Mr. John July 10, 2014 at 3:17 PM

We need to go back to a world where people that let their kids do pointlessly dangerous stuff are discouraged effectively.

24 anonanonagain July 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Some pretty heartless comments here. I for one have said something when I have seen a child unattended or at risk of getting injured. The other day I saw a child in the back seat of the car and she had more movement in her car seat than she should have. I rolled down my window and politely told the parents that their child was not harnessed properly. She had wriggled out of her restraints. I am not sure the car seat was up to code and I am not sure that the parents really understand the dangers of a child riding without a proper and current seat. They were foreign. At least I alerted them. The rest is up to them…..

25 Me too July 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Sad to say it but I wouldn’t intervene either, too many people quick to place blame on you for trying to do something nice by saving THEIR child. If you’re stupid enough to allow your kid to stand up in shopping carts then oh well, off to ER you go.

26 TinFoiler July 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I’m with #14
Why bother!? Too many MORONS who think they are MMA heroes will try to knock you out for looking out for a childs well being. Even more sad – These MORONS only learn from their own personal experience and what a hard life they have set themselves up for because of their unteachable, haughty and prideful selves.
Of course the two parents didn’t mind me using a pair of tin snips (no pun intended:) to cut their daughters bicycle wheel spokes in order to free her foot after she wiped out and was screaming bloody murder…riding with flip flops and not a very good rider, she won’t do that again.

27 hillary July 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Yes I would say something! I can’t believe all the heartless comments on here. More sad then the article :(

28 sue July 10, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Yes, and I have!!!

29 Subterfuge July 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I would give the kid a hard shove. I’m a bully.

30 Chevrolet girl July 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM

It’s not the kids fault if the parent is not paying attention to what they are doing. I would say something. I would hate for some kid to end up with injuries because I didn’t speak up. I was in a coffee shop the other day and two kids were running around. I told the kid he wa going to get hot coffee spilled on him if he wasn’t careful. The dad told them to stop running or the police would have the dad arrested. So wrong to say to a kid. Just so happened a police car rolled up and I saw the dad point to it and say, see!

31 Just_My_Two_Cents July 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM

You can always report it to Child Protection Services. If it’s in the parking lot wait for the person to get into their car then take the license #, make and model of car. Also, description of adult and child.

If it is reported again – they will have this on file to back up the next person.

You can report nonymously

32 Just_My_Two_Cents July 11, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Mayor – please change the last sentence to read

You can report anonymously.

33 Danielle July 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I think the problem today is tooooo many people DON’T say anything!! When I was growing up, if an adult said something you minded them. I will say something EVERYTIME and I don’t care if I get a nasty remark from the child or the child’s parent. To often we let things go because we don’t want to cause a problem, I say screw it, step up and say something for the kids sake!!!

34 Connie Dobbs July 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I routinely correct other people’s children, and they routinely obey me, with varying degrees of sullenness. While it’s true that I have command presence, I think part of it is because the children are looking for someone to set limits on their behavior. As for the parents, they might as well not be there for all I care what they think. Some of their irritation probably stems from watching a stranger control their child effectively when they can’t.

35 you'll set um straight July 11, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Connie Dobbs watch me tell my kids to NOT directly “obey” your small minded-self, domineering and obnoxious self. ENTJ on the MBTI profile perhaps?

36 Yaz July 11, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I follow the “motherly golden rule.” Where mothers intuitively watch over each other’s children. It’s not a spoken rule, but, it applies to situations where we see a child in danger.

I speak up and would hope that others would speak up and help when my child is in danger. Parenting and motherhood can be extremely overwhelming. Parents are not perfect and we do the best we can (at least I wild hope).

37 Connie Dobbs July 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM

#35 Go on ahead. Tell them to play in traffic to spite me. It’s not like they’ll do as you say.

Your cunning plan, it has a flaw.

38 CW July 13, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I’ve got 3 youngish kids and since I only have one pair of eyes, there have been times where I’ve been paying attention to one and another has almost gotten himself/herself in trouble. I’m always glad when someone speaks up, even if it’s embarrassing. Better a little embarrassed than having to sit in the ER with a hurt kid.