Clean, Empty Coffee Cans Needed to Help with Mosquito Eradication in Claycord

July 10, 2014 10:20 am · 45 comments

mosquito

Claycordians, if you have any extra coffee cans laying around, they can be donated to help rid Claycord of mosquitoes!

The Contra Costa County Mosquito & Vector Control District needs the cans to transport mosquito-eating fish, and they would greatly appreciate your donation.

Below is the information from the district:

Our District provides free mosquito-eating fish to Contra Costa residents to place in their backyard ponds, horse troughs, or swimming pools that are not being filtered or chlorinated. They can pick them up Monday through Friday from 8 am-4:30 pm at our District office in N. Concord.

We provide coffee cans to residents for transporting the fish and we rely on residents generously donating their empty cans by bringing them into our office, which is located at 155 Mason Circle in Concord (off Bates Ave. in N. Concord).

We are currently running very low on these coffee cans and would be eternally and any donation would help tremendously.

We have more information on our web site HERE.

{ 45 comments }

1 unknown April 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Decaf or regular?

2 Schmee April 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Like a k cup ? :) :) :). ???

3 My coffee comes in a April 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM

plastic/metallic sack. I can’t remember seeing a coffee can recently.

Hope they find a source.

4 Dorothy April 22, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Too bad instant doesn’t come in cans.

5 Carol April 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Can someone tell me how to leave a news story? I’ve tried using the email addresses under the Contact tab but none of them seem to work.

Thanks

6 MrDuckyWucky April 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM

@Carol: whether it is carried on this site or not depends on whether it is consistent with the left wing agenda.

7 funny man April 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

how quint… wait, is this the 90s?
im purty sure every one uses those k-cups now

8 H April 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Does coffee even come in metal cans anymore?

9 Marianne April 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM

We have several, we can donate.

10 jtkatec April 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I think I have to travel back to Nebraska to find coffee in a can

11 KAD April 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Really? Can everyone afford coffee those K cups? Isn’t that expensive? I still buy my coffee in cans. The Safeway brand is really good. Stock up on it when it is on sale. I will see if I have some empty ones in the garage.

12 unknown April 22, 2014 at 8:40 PM

May be empty small paint cans will work. New clean ones from paint stores.

13 Isabelle April 22, 2014 at 8:47 PM

We usually get coffee from a coffee house, but still buy the containers from the local grocers. We don’t have enough to have to store them in the garage, but will donate what we can.

14 Isabelle April 22, 2014 at 8:54 PM

H, yes coffee still comes in cans. Most buy the bags for convenience, but we still buy cans.

15 Reality Slap April 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM

How big are the fish ? Wouldn’t a plastic milk gallon work? I go through 6-7 gallons of milk in a week, so I could supply about 2 dozen gallons each month.

16 Antler April 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM

It seems logical that any clean, large container with a wide mouth would serve the purpose just as well as a coffee can. Do any of you have huge, empty Kirkland plastic jars which used to hold nuts?

As for the great K-cup battle. Just before Christmas, I hit Bed, Bath, and Beyond with my “20% off any one item” coupon in hand; and I took the plunge….Keurig model with largest reservoir. It gets the most use later in the evening when I’m the only one with a hankering for just one huge mug of Peet’s Decaf Major Dickason’s blend. If we have company, one guest might want high-octane coffee, another tea, another hot chocolate, another decaf. Within 10 minutes, each of us has our choice…fresh and delicious.

17 Michelle April 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM

It does make sense that any clean half-gallon and up container would work. Can you confirm this Mr. Mayor?

18 @Antler April 23, 2014 at 4:39 AM

I don’t know anyone who uses a large plastic jar to hold nuts. My wife keeps mine in her purse.

19 ano April 23, 2014 at 6:38 AM

When you buy fish for an aquarium they are usually sent home in a plastic bag that’s tied at the top. The size of these tiny little fish they give you for mosquito abatement can easily fit into a plastic water bottle. Or they could just tell people to bring their own container to transport.

20 Mustang Sally April 23, 2014 at 7:40 AM

What’s a K cup?

21 Anabelle April 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I have empty milk cartons-but I like ano’s idea even better; just bring your own container if you need mosquito fish. If you can afford a pond in your back yard, you can afford to go to ACE hardware or even a bait shop to buy a container to carry small fish.

22 Cowellian April 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM
23 Connie Dobbs April 23, 2014 at 8:44 AM

#20 It’s a really large bra, but that’s not important right now….

24 Deborah Bass April 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Deborah here from Contra Costa Mosquito & Vector Control District. We can use any container that has the volume of a two pound coffee can that has a resealable top and can hold water for an extended period of time (metal or plastic). Thank you for your wonderful support of our mosquitofish program and for helping to keep our communities healthy.

25 @Deborah - April 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Have you contacted the Trader Joe’s stores in our area?

I would have suggested Trader Joe’s coffee cans, as they provide coffee samples all day long to their customers. Think of how many empty cans are accumulated daily…

However, TJ’s cans are 13 ounce volume for coffee. If Mosquito control requires 2 gallon. :( Would that work?

26 Marianne April 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM

A plastic bag with a twist-top; isn’t that what they do in carnivals and most aquariums? I know those fish stay in the hot sun all day in those plastic bags.

27 when April 23, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I’ll admit, the k cups are handy, there’s one where I work. However, not only are they cups not compostable, they are also not recycle-able. It’s why I won’t buy one for at home. Imagine ALL of the people in the US that have these expensive single serving coffee machines, and ALL of those K cups in our landfills, going no where….food for thought.

28 frambley1 April 23, 2014 at 8:45 PM

@Deborah Bass, thanks for clarifying.

@When, I completely agree, seems like nthey could/should do something about that.

@mrduckywucky, believe it or not actual things that go on in the world, just like facts logic and science, aren’t left wing or liberal, they just aren’t made up for convenience like most conservative beliefs…..

29 Mustang Sally April 24, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Wisenheimers!

30 Deborah Bass April 24, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Great idea about contacting Trader Joe’s. We will follow up. Thank you so much!

31 Sly April 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM

FABULOUS! I’ve been savings cans for 5 years at our office, and I’ve got 14 big containers to donate. I KNEW they’d come in handy some day! Yay! (I know…I’m such a nerd :)

32 Silva April 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Trader Joe’s coffee cans are cardboard.

33 Wizard April 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM

The metal cans.

34 Wayne Landana July 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I’d suggest using Tupperware or those Ziplock plastic containers.

35 ME July 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

20 years ago about I got some when the creek stopped flowing and had stagnant pools here and there and we were inundated with mosquitoes. I was not told not to put them in the creek. I did. Since then they have multiplied all over the creek. But the creek is about to run dry of flow, and they are in there, tons of them. In fact with a butterfly net you can catch dozens in one scoop. From Alhambra creek.
Also check around your yards and even gutters still for et places and standing water. Old tires. And dump it.. Problem is I read, believe it or not, that Oak Trees have cracks and places on them where water can stay for months and mosquitoes breed in there constantly. And I believe it. Every time I hike early or late under or around giant Oaks I get attacked..
But I hope they do not do anything drastic. We need mosquitoes actually. Their larva is the beginning of the food chain and vital to our environment. Small fish and tad poles eat mosquitoes larva, and other small creatures, which in turn the those creatures feed larger creatures like birds and crawdads, and those feed larger creatures and so on. So yes, we actually need misquote larva for a healthy ecosystem..

36 Anon777 July 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

#18 and #23, thank you for the great laughs.

#25 used the word gallon, but the original comment was pound (2 lb coffee can, not gallon – big difference).

My coffee comes in a plastic tub – sounds like they are usable so I’ll start saving.

37 Vandy July 10, 2014 at 11:28 AM

San Francisco Bay Roasting company developed some compostable K-cups. You can buy them through Amazon. There are only a few flavors available, but its a step in the right direction.

38 Incognito July 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Hey Connie Dobbs…. that was great!

39 Tipsy July 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM

The red and black 4 pk. (As Seen On T.V.) re-usable Cafe Cups (K-cup size) work beautifully for those who wish to use their own coffee grounds. It’ll save you a small fortune when compared to purchasing single-serving K-cup packs.

40 jtkatec July 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I didn’t know that coffee cans were enemies of mosquitos… wow, learn something new about nature every day

41 J July 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM

ME
I dont know if u think your a biologist or something but we absolutly dont need mosquito larva in the ecosystem.. There are other things those small fish and tadpoles eat. Mosquito larva = BAD

42 Cowellian July 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM

J is for jenius, and the use of the language proves it.

43 Friday reader July 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM

@ Deborah. Cafe Classico is located in North Concord. They make gelato. They recycle dozens of large.cans daily. And they are usually clean. I bet they would be happy to help.

44 concord July 11, 2014 at 6:31 PM

See’s Candy Cans will work too. The ones for Toffeettes, etc.

45 GreyGoose Caboose July 12, 2014 at 5:07 AM

@ me:

Do you know why they instructed you to NOT put live mosquito fish in our creeks and tributaries? No shame in your game… you just announce to everyone on Claycord that you did it anyway.

It is no wonder we are all going to hell in a a hand basket.