VIDEO: Walnut Creek Police Chief Talks About Changes to the Department

July 9, 2014 8:00 am · 10 comments

Walnut Creek Police Chief Thomas Chaplin recently sat down with Walnut Creek TV and talked about the exciting changes to the Walnut Creek Police Department that are keeping our community safe.

Click on the play button to see what the Chief has to say.

1 Antler July 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Well-spoken!

“Let us know what you need of us.”

Also, I noticed in at least one shot, one officer is speaking with residents, and the other officer is standing in the military “at ease” position. I wonder….in each separate Claycord city, what percentage of the officers are former military troops? Would the various chiefs speak to Claycord about the pros and cons of such hiring?

2 Buster July 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Nice job WC-TV and Chief Chaplin.

3 PhilthyPHRESH July 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM

is for disbanding all police.

4 gratt July 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM

blah blah blah

5 Sacto Rob July 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM

“exciting” changes. Exactly who is excited?

6 Jojo Potato July 9, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I’m wondering where exactly did the police get all the new money, Recently the city was supposedly broke, now I see new SUV cop cars, new motorcycles and everything is totally rosy. It’s not that I don’t trust the city, well actually I don’t. A couple months ago the movie in the park was cut, now it’s back. Anyone care to offer anything but the usual lies? Thanks.

7 Mary Fouts July 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I have communicated with Chief Chaplain on several occasions about various policing concerns in Walnut Creek; he listened and was responsive to my concerns. I have found Chief Chaplain to be one of the most community-orientated and concerned law enforcement officers I have ever met.

8 Scoob July 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Best PD in the county!

9 Ex-Creeker July 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM

What a class act! One of our closest family friends has been with the WCPD for over 30 years and we recently attended an awards/recognition/new hire welcoming event with him in Walnut Creek. Everyone there, including Chief Chaplain, who made the presentations, impressed us with their commitment to making the community safer, their sincerity, and their professionalism.

Most of the award recipients and new hires were introduced with a description of their backgrounds – prior experience, training, etc. – and yes, there was quite a bit of prior military history with most of them. Many skilled in the martial arts or participants in other very demanding outside activities.

Having grown up in Walnut Creek, but settled in Concord, I have to say a lot of the difference between the 2 communities isn’t the money or the prestige, it’s community pride and a positive attitude about where you live. People here tend to complain and be passive; people in Walnut Creek tend to get involved to do something positive about it, e.g. volunteer.

Example…My daughter attended both Highlands Elementary and Walnut Acres. The difference between the parents’ involvement blew me away. Also, the Walnut Acres principal was out there on the first day of school welcoming the new kids that were being bussed from Concord. That’s no money, it’s attitude.

10 Ex-Creeker, Part Deux July 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Spelling correction to my comments, “That’s not money, it’s attitude.”