Mystery Man Spending Hundreds Buying Groceries for Strangers in Claycord

July 9, 2014 11:03 am · 56 comments

A mystery man is paying for groceries at a local supermarket, and on Tuesday, he spent over $800 at the Grocery Outlet store in Concord.

Read this, from an employee at Grocery Outlet….

I am contacting you from Concord Grocery Outlet. We just had a man late 20s, early 30s, stand at our registers and pay for over a half dozen customers’ groceries, some totaling over $200.00! He spent well over $800.00 on groceries. When asked why, he replied with “Why not”??? He said everyone needs a little help, right??!! I asked him many questions, he really didn’t give me much insight on why our store, our customers or why in general besides because it’s the right thing to do . He was very modest and kind-hearted, just thought I would share. Just blew us all away.

Amazing. Thanks for sharing the story.

1 wibbly July 9, 2014 at 11:10 AM

This is an amazing story of good will which is what the world should be about.

Is he still there, I need to do my monthly grocery shopping.

2 Former Resident July 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I used to shop there many years ago when I was a single parent living on a meager budget. What a blessing!!

3 Bless His Heart July 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM

What a beautiful young man. We need more people like him in this world

4 Han Solo July 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I wish I could be like that guy someday.

5 jtkatec July 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Generous and humble, not looking for personal kudos!! Wow.

6 CG July 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM

This is awesome. He shows what a true heart is all about. Nice to hear about someone doing good in this world, I wish more story like this were on the news.

7 Oakley Momma July 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM

With all the negative stuff in the news (non-stop), It’s really awesome to hear great, feel good stories.

8 Mimi (original) July 9, 2014 at 11:40 AM

That is such a heartwarming story!!

9 anonanonagain July 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

This is heartwarming. With so many people out there stealing, lying, cheating and having a general disregard for others this is brilliant!!! Good Karma is coming his way in triplicate……:)

10 Just sayin July 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Unbelievable act of kindness. Whoever you are, know that you are 1 of a kind…..and also know that I will be at Food Maxx on Saturday, around 10…..

11 kathie a July 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Love it ! hope the people he helped remember that someone did something nice and that even a kind word to a stranger can be a monumental gift ! thank you who ever you are !

12 MicheLLes July 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Some people may look at you as if you have two heads when you make a kind gesture. “C’mon,” they’ll think, “why are you really doing this-what do you want? No one does something for nothing.” Then, when they realize there’s no catch, something magical happens. G’head and give it a try, if you don’t believe me. =)

13 Mom July 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Where is he? My daughter needs to marry him :)

14 #1mom July 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM

about time we hear good news

15 marinemom July 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Now it would be so nice if everyone who got free grocery’s paid it forward.

16 Just me July 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Such a nice gesture. Way to go

17 tony July 9, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I shop there

18 Silva July 9, 2014 at 12:18 PM

May your path be forever lined with flora & fauna brother, love & affection! I know that’s not why you did it though, but ni modes.

19 Silva July 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM

*Ni modos* Friggen autocorrect.

20 Raider4Life July 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I love stories like this! What an outstanding young man. I bet he walked away from there so happy to have helped so many people. It does my heart good :)

21 Dorothy July 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Enjoyed this story, thanks for telling it. Also glad to hear about the good guys instead of just the bad ones.

22 Anon777 July 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Another great story! Thanks to the anon guy and hope those people can pay it forward someday.

23 funny man July 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM

did any one check to see if it was a stolen credit card?
I too would be generous with other peoples money! :D

24 rage ricin July 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM

LOVE THIS! Makes me feel less rage-y today!

25 anonymous July 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Aww what a heart warming story! Love to see good news! Hopefully those folks are able to pay it forward in some way. What a man, I’m sure it meant a lot to those people.

26 JB July 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Pay it forward!!!

27 RockysMom July 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM

What a beautiful story!! I love that the anonymous acts of kindness is a new “fad” catching on!! It touches my heart that people are embracing the overwhelming joy you get from helping someone selflessly!! I hope this “fad” hits a lot of people and it stays around for a very long time!! (kinda like droopy pants!!! LOL!) Whether it’s paying for grocery’s or hiding free money or if you just help one person that you see needs help, this will make a difference in the world….especially your world!! God Bless!!

28 jk July 9, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Wish there were more people out there to help as this young man did…thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story….wish one day I could do the same…so much bad things in happening these days…nice to see there are good people that want to help others….THANK YOU NICE MAN…..

29 LOL July 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM

@Just Sayin #10 –
you cracked me up! Thanks for the laugh!

30 Teacher Wannabe July 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Good for him, a real feel good story. Although I would have chosen a different store because there are some employees there who are blatant racists. Treating persons of color differently.

31 RealityCheck July 9, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I was going to say something cynical…..

Then I gave myself a reality check. Thumbs up for this guy. Well done, young man.

32 Concord1963 July 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Thank you generous soul. I have a son in that age range and I kind of like to imagine it’s him. :)

33 Thankyou July 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Thank you for the nice story. Helps to have faith in the goodness of the human race.

Very nice of this young man to do this for others.

34 Domestic CEO July 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I agree 100% with RockysMom #27
HERE! HERE!

35 eyewhen July 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM

He is using money he stole from a PH home! Seriously, you guys crack me up

36 Gramz July 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Wonderful job of “paying if forward” in a practical yet loving way! I love the response to the question “Why?” with “Why not?” Whooooo hoooooo, God loves a cheerful giver and it sounds like this man certainly has been one, a good example for us all!

37 Concord Guy July 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM

So let me be the contrarian. This is an Elvis-like random “act of kindness” on the part of this guy. To me it is self-indulgent on the guy’s part, who apparently wants to stand there and bask in the glory of people thanking him.

There are so many charities out there who are deserving of targeted donations, such as the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano. The “over $800″ would have been better spent with that charity, as the people who utilize the food bank’s services are in true need of food. If someone who benefitted for today’s Grocery Outlet stunt did not “need a little help”, his money was wasted.

38 Jerk July 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I was going to say something cynical too, Don’t ruin it for everyone – He wants to remain a mystery man!

39 Bob H, July 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM

@ Concord Guy #37. We all need a little help of some type. After reading your comment, you need a lot more than a little help !!

40 Lori R July 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I Love this guy.

41 TheRealist July 9, 2014 at 7:40 PM

#37 Concord Guy……Have you ever been called a pessimist in your life? I’m guessing the answer is yes……The person that was making these act of kindness wanted to help people out at this specific store, at this specific time. Just because he didn’t “donate” to the charities you approve, you want to call him self indulgent?…… That is an absolutely negative attitude and very uncalled for. I’m glad you’re not my neighbor and hope you can one day look at the positives in people’s actions and not the negatives………

42 RanchgirlCA July 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

What a great story. If only the comments were all as positive.

43 He probably works for Grocery Outlet. July 9, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Just think, there business has probably tripled since this story broke.

I’m just kidding. It was a very nice gesture. I wish I could afford to do the same.

44 It's me July 9, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I actually got a couple of items and he payed for me I was really blessed by him doing that he spent $56.82 on me

45 MadMom July 9, 2014 at 9:04 PM

This day just keeps getting better. Thanks for the terrific story. What a great gesture from a truly kind young man.

46 MadMom July 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Concord Guy
No act of kindness is ever wasted. Even if the receiver of the kindness was as ungrateful as you would surely be, the person giving kindness is better for simply having acted. Not everyone does things solely for the praise or attention. Maybe he’s just feeling really blessed and happy. You should try it :)

47 Cowellian July 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Concord Guy@37,
If you get to choose where he gives his money, it’s no longer charity, it’s tyranny.

48 Whatever July 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I would love to be able to do this someday. Everyone needs a helping hand now and again, and getting that from a complete stranger at an unsuspecting time is amazing. We need more random acts of kindness in our world.

49 Grandma TT July 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM

@ Mom #13
My daughter needs to marry him too ;)

50 @37 Concord Guy July 10, 2014 at 6:15 AM

I can tell you’ve never done something this nice,,, ever

51 The Truth July 10, 2014 at 10:08 AM

@37 – Troll:

Congrats on being the human turd!!! So, I guess you condemn acts of kindness…nice to know that you make Scrooge look like a saint.

And btw, alot of charities are scams so this random guy is actually doing something of merit. Actually helping out people who are shopping at FoodMaxx. That is real. And I doubt that many of the customers who shop at the local FoodMaxx are rolling in dough living the high life like you, bro. Everyone can use a little help. You my friend, need serious help – and i am not talking about financial assistance.

52 Nice Story July 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Nice to know there are still some human beings in this world who actually care for others, and are willing to help them out.

Another inspiring story is a recent one about a family who traveled all over the country and tipped waiters large amounts of money. The whole point was that this family lost their son to cancer, and one of his last wishes was for his family to tip waiters $$$, as an act of kindness:

Aaron’s Last Wish Project by http://www.aaroncollins.org

53 Stop Arguing, START NEGOTIATING July 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Before you all go screaming at @37ConcordGuy, I just wanted to ask if the man has a habit of regularly donating to charities and larger organizations etc. If he does, I applaud him. But if he isn’t usually involved in stuff like that, I would question his motives on that particular day.

Of course, I would like to believe that such a seemingly kind man donates to larger charities and gives to people in MUCH more needy areas than Concord. Now THAT would be inspirational.

54 "Stop Arguing Start Negotiating" was the WRONG NAME...sorry! July 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM

For my previous comment, sorry about the title. It had been used for a different blog. u can IGNORE THAT. Thank you :)

Instead it should be something like “Nice Story” or whatever

55 Annie July 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM

56 SK July 15, 2014 at 4:24 AM

LET THIS YOUNG MANS ACT OF KINDNESS HELP MOTIVATE EACH AND EVERYONE TO START EXERCISING AND IMPLEMENTING THEIR OWN ACTS OF KINDNESS BIG OR SMALL. I BELEIVE EVERYONE SHOULD DO SOMETHING NICE FOR SOMEONE ELSE EVERYDAY AND YOU TELL NOONE OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE OR IT DOES NOT COUNT WHY WOULD IT NOT COUNT BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING THIS OUT OF KINDNESS NOT FOR PRAISE NOT TO BOAST NOT TO GET A PAT ON THE BACK..NOT SO OTHERS WILL REWARD YOU YOU DO IT SIMPLY FOR BEING KIND. IF YOU DO THIS EVERYDAY YOU WILL BE A BETTER YOU.