The Claycord Online Museum – “Net Day ’96” with Clinton & Gore at YVHS

July 8, 2014 14:00 pm · 33 comments

This is a ticket stub from “Net Day ’96”, which was an event that kicked off a drive to connect California public schools to the internet.

On that day, President Bill Clinton and Vice-President Al Gore visited Ygnacio Valley High School in Concord, and spoke to the crowd.

Did anybody out there go to the event?

For a picture of President Clinton and Vice-President Gore at YVHS, click ON THIS LINK.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

1 Isn't it against policy for the Pres. & VP to be together in public? July 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I thought they avoided them being together in case of disaster/attack, etc.?

2 oldman July 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Looks a lot like toilet paper, which would be its optimum use

3 Michelle July 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I remember that event.

4 YVHS GRAD '98 July 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM

What a great day at YVHS. I remember that day.

5 I remember MDHS having their event hijacked July 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM

As I remember it, he was supposed to show up to Mt. Diablo High School since they were, at the time, the most connected school in the district (which as trivial as it is now, was a big deal back then). As is always the case with anything positive happening to Mt. Diablo High School at the time, it had to be taken away and given to a school from a higher social/economic class. When word got out, Ygnacio Valley High School suddenly took an interest in becoming “connected” and the locations were swapped quickly.

No wonder MDHS produces bitter and angry adults.

6 Nutcreek Frontier July 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I was there, and surprised too, that they allowed to a sitting President and VP to be on the same stage together. Was very easy to get a ticket too, just wrote to the Contra Costa Times and requested one. Clinton was a very charismatic speaker, Gore not so much.

7 Dave July 8, 2014 at 3:11 PM

They should a clip of the event on Nat Geo channels 90’s special this week!

Famous clip of Gore on a ladder pushing wires thru a ceiling panel!

8 mutts July 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Nothing positive about Clinton/Gore. If there was anything good it is far outweighed by bad. Entertaining our Chinese enimies in the white house is as bad as Hussein Obama bowing down to our enemies during his apology tour.

9 Silva July 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

That is so cool. And funny.

10 Lolo July 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Yep I was there! I remember a long line, and going through metal detectors. I go through much higher security now at the airport!

11 It was supposed to be Northgate July 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I thought it was supposed to be Northgate, because Northgate was the most connected and reputable High School in the district, but was moved to YVHS, because it was more securable. So Northgate had their event hijacked, and I remember many Northgate families were furious about it!!
YV was going into serious decline then.

12 Captain Bebops July 8, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I remember hearing the helicopters flying around (I was living about 2 miles from the school at the time). I think keeping the Pres and VP separate came about after 9/11.

13 Michael Langley July 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM

My daughter’s Freshman year at YVHS and the whole family went. It was more a public awareness event than a complete project. Always cool to see the President of the United States. Only other time I saw a President up close was at Kennedy Center in DC when President G. W. Bush attended a musical production. That was cool too.

14 anon July 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM

“No wonder MDHS produces bitter and angry adults.”

Many come in from low life families who have no work ethic, do dope & scam the system every chance they get. Blame the parents not the school.

15 KenInConcord July 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM

That’s right I remember. I was there when Al Gore was inventing the internet!

16 Abbie R. July 8, 2014 at 8:04 PM

They arrived in separate Heliocopters…Willy Jeff called Net Day “A Blow for Freedom!”

17 @mutts,#8-----get over it July 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM

In case you’ve forgotten, Clinton left a huge budget surplus for Bush 43, among other deeds showing his excellent leadership. Too bad the Republican administration squandered that surplus on useless wars in the Middle East, as well as squandering the lives of several thousands of our troops, and civilians over there. But those wars certainly were good for Cheney’s friends at Halliburton, weren’t they? And I guess for Cheney’s retirement portfolio.

18 oldman July 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Clinton left a big turd

19 YVHS Class of '87 July 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I was there. Gore started speaking and asked if everyone was ‘wired’. A lot of the crowd snickered because of the reference to meth. It was funny at the time because there wasn’t much of a ‘problem’ back then. These days it’s a lot different.

20 Coggins Square July 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I remember this like it was yesterday!! I cannot believe it has been 18 years now!!

21 Local Wittda PIzza July 8, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I was working the day shift at Treat Round Table when that happened…we watched as the motorcade drove past, then went back to rollin’ dough and choppin’ broccoli…

22 PH Gal July 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM

@ YVHS GRAD 98′.. My daughter is also a Grad of 98′ & was in Marching Band. She, along with us (her parents, Event Coordinators for Band) were there that day, since Band played for Pres. Clinton. Was an awesome experience!

23 YV 98 July 8, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I recall that day well, I was in the marching band at the time and we played, “Hail to the Chief” as they came in. I remember we had to audition to make sure we sounded good enough to even play it or if they were going to play a recording instead. Guess we did good enough, we played and got to meet them afterwards.

24 Theyellowranget July 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Was there; still have the ticket! Was my senior year at CHS and got the ticket there. Believe it was the day Al Gore claimed he invented the internet,

25 RanchgirlCA July 9, 2014 at 5:48 AM

I was working that day, but the motorcade went past my office coming and going, though one trip was Clinton and the other was Gore. They were at the same event, but arrived separately and took different routes in and out.

26 Rewired July 9, 2014 at 6:01 AM

At least you got to see and some got to meet the inventor of the internet..so special.

27 Cody B July 9, 2014 at 7:34 AM

I remember that day and I was there as well. Parking was terrible and we must have parked a mile away and walked to YVHS. So exciting to be within 100 feet of a sitting President and Vice President! I loved Clinton, everything has gone to hell since he left office…… those were good times back then (Monica Lewinsky, AOL chat rooms, and hardly any cell phones and texting didn’t exist! All the millenials who annoy us now were just in diapers back then)

28 Dr. Jellyfinger® July 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I was an inmate there back in the late 70’s. Parking was terrible everyday.

29 Anonomous. July 9, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Didn’t they eat at Genoa’s?

30 @oldman July 9, 2014 at 9:22 AM

No I think that big turd was left by you, sir. When you forgot to change your diapers.

31 mybad July 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I was there..took my daughter.

32 R July 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM

This was a huge event with massive security because both the Pres and VP were together. I seem to remember that the secret service and their dogs needed 300 hotel rooms, which were at the Hilton and the Crown Plaza. The ballroom at the Hilton was a huge press room with national White House correspondents sitting at their laptops with lots of cables and wires. There were three helicopters that flew into Buchanan, Clinton was in one, but Gore arrived by motorcade from SF airport. I was slacked-jawed at the spectacle of the entourage.

33 Becky Styles July 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I remember it well. I taught at YV then and my classroom was one that Gore “wired.” Very exciting time for the whole school. As I remember YVHS was asked to participate not the other way around.

Also the school had never been so clean as the day they arrived. I have pictures of Clinton, Gore, students and me on that day autographed by Clinton and Gore.

Fun times and good memories.

Becky