Traffic Jammin’ with Janis Mara – Best Car Song Results, Exempting the Disabled, Botts’ Dots + MORE

July 7, 2014 · 73 comments

Traffic Jammin’ with Janis Mara – Every Monday at 2pm on Claycord.com.

TRAFFIC JAMMER: Greetings, all! This Claycord.com column is for everyone who negotiates the highways and public transit of the Bay Area. It runs every Monday at 2pm and answers your commuting and transportation questions.

Email your questions to trafficjammin@claycord.com.

TRAFFIC JAMMER: Last week’s column was one of the funnest ever, with almost 100 comments from Claycordians after the Jammer asked, “What is your favorite car song?”

Guess which song won? None other than that hilarious 1950s novelty song, “Little Nash Rambler,” also known as “Beep Beep.” Four people mentioned it. You can hear it on YouTube at THIS URL.

“Hot Rod Lincoln” got three votes and Dorothy made a brilliant observation: It’s a rap song! Actually, I would describe it as being more in the “talking blues” tradition. “I Can’t Drive 55” got three votes (does this count as a protest song?), Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car” got three and “Little Deuce Coupe” got three.

One of the votes for “Little Deuce Coupe” came from none other than our beloved Officer Leo! His other favorite is “Little Red Corvette.” Thanks to all for participating!

COMMUTER: Drivers with placards don ‘t have to feed the meter? Why? Park close if you must but pay like everybody else. Yes and some of us with fixed incomes can still walk a bit.

–Wow

COMMUTER: Since there’s no particular correlation between being physically disabled and being poor, I see no reason to exempt the disabled from parking fees. In fact, that policy in San Francisco has led to rampant abuse of the system. Time for that nonsense to stop.

–Sacto Rob

TRAFFIC JAMMER: In 1972, California began exempting disabled people from having to pay meter fees and honor posted time restrictions for parking. Frequent poster Killjoy pointed out, “Someone with one of those placards may not easily be able to get back to their car as quickly and nimbly as the rest of you/us to feed the meter.”

The idea was to reduce transportation barriers for the disabled, but it also created an incentive for able-bodied people to use disabled placards illegally. So far, nobody seems to have come up with an alternative.

TRAFFIC JAMMER: A reader had a question about some worn-out Botts’ Dots, and the Jammer is pursuing the question. In the meantime, ClayDen contributed the fascinating fact that a Dr. Botts invented the round raised pavement markers.

COMMUTER: Botts didn’t invent the dots. He invented the adhesive that holds the dots down.

–DrDuran

TRAFFIC JAMMER: The Jammer first learned about Botts’ Dots back in her days as the Queen of the Road and has huge affection for the fortuitously named roadway markers. According to Caltrans, “In 1953, Dr. Elbert D. Botts, working in the Caltrans materials testing lab in Sacramento, came upon the idea of using a raised pavement marker to help make the painted lines separating lanes last longer.

“The ubiquitous little buttons have since been adopted around the world. There are an estimated 20 million Botts’ Dots in place today on California freeways and highways — a lasting legacy to Mr. Botts, who passed away in 1962.”
That’s the official word from Caltrans. Wikipedia describes the adhesive theory as “a common myth.”

SIGNS

TRAFFIC JAMMER: This joke photo (above) ran last week, and a frequent poster had this comment:

COMMUTER: I think the sign above the fast lane is a little harsh. If there’s no one in front of you but you are passing slower traffic on the right, I see no reason to get over until you have passed the slowpokes.

–RunnerDope

TRAFFIC JAMMER: Yes, that’s an excellent point, RunnerDope. You’re right. Not everyone in the passing lane (a) has zoned out (b) thinks it’s fine to drive there indefinitely.

TRAFFIC JAMMER: That’s it for this week – see you next Monday. Be sure to cruise by Claycord.com at 2pm for more traffic intelligence. Remember, whether you drive, walk, bike or hop Amtrak, BART or AC Transit, Traffic Jammer Janis Mara is here to answer your questions.

Send your questions to trafficjammin@claycord.com

1 nytemuvr July 7, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Some people in Washington and Oregon refer to Bott’s Dots as “turtles”. We use to say someone was “driving by braille” whenever a car drifted in the lane and ran over them.

2 Captain Freeway July 7, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Hello Janis & RunnerDope: Thank you both for your excellent rebuttal about the sign for the far left lane. Even though the sign itself is fictional and entertaining, It’s a reality that many people seem to think that any time there is someone in front of them, that the person in front should just move over for them… no matter what the overall conditions or situation is. It’s nice that someone with good credibility, like you Janis, are saying this to the forum. This being said, there are definitely slow drivers out there who occupy the left lane and should move over. However, when some Overly Aggressive, Speeding, Arrogant, Lane-Changing, Tail-Gating, Gap-Shooting, Cigarette Butt Tossing Exit Cheater comes along… I’m afraid that no speed in the far left lane would be enough for them… 75, 80, 85 or even 90. They just want to get ahead of you and be a jerk. Also, even though the jerks will do what they do mostly in the left lane… they’ll actually do it in any lane. Oh well, everyone be safe out there, watch out for the gap-shooters and please don’t be one yourself. Take Care, CF Smile

3 Cowellian July 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Next, we need a favorite driving movie poll. And I’m saving my vote until there is an official poll.

4 J7 July 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM

It’s time for the people with real needs for the Handicap Placards to confront the cheaters.

5 Regular Guy July 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I agree, there is no correlation between being physically disabled and wealth. If you want to give the disabled more time, the meter should record how much time has passed since it has expired and let the parking enforcement officer give vehicles with placards an extra (but finite) grace period.

6 Dorothy July 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Driving movie poll? Can it be any kind of driving machine? Will star ships count or do they have have one or more wheels on the road? Will TV programs count also? What a fun idea.

7 Hey Placard Stealer in Concord July 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM

To whomever found my mother’s handicap placard at her nursing home in Concord and didn’t return it: I hope you get caught using it and hit with what could be a $3,500.00 fine and/or 6 months in jail.
I hope you like bologna sandwiches. :)

8 Bubbles July 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I hate fast lane hogs!! There are signs all over the freeways that say “Slower traffic keep to the right”

9 miss smiley July 7, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Have a volunteer dad at my son’s school that has one of those. Must be to guarantee him a privileged parking place because the things we see him doing to help the custodian etc makes it pretty clear he’s not disabled. My husband and I have been told by other parents that we can’t say anything because then we’d be racist. Must be nice to be exempt from honesty and integrity.

10 nytemuvr July 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM

@Captain Freeway @2
I think you left out the bikers with eardrum-splitting exhaust splitting lanes and the texters/cellphone users that aren’t paying attention….

11 SKS July 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Botts Dots – Technically called by the guys and gals with pointy hats (engineers) “Tactile Lane Delineators”.

12 To Able Bodied People July 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM

To the people who are saying there is no correlation between being physically disabled and income, have you ever tried to survive on SSDI (Social Security Disability Income)? If not then your “scientific” speculation is void. I had a stroke 12 years ago, half my body is paralyzed – I have use of ONE arm, that’s it, am bedridden, and I receive $882 a month. That money does not cover my mortgage, my portion of medicare, medication, food, gas, insurance, PG&E, or in home assistance. I rely on my children to help supplement my income. Do you know how hard that is? Or how humiliating that is as a parent? Before you cast stones, look into the facts and the reality of how a disabled person lives, and how much they have to live on. I did not plan on this happening, and I can only hope it does not happen to any of you judgmental people. I wish I could walk, I wish I could sit up on my own, I wish I could work, I wish I could access the meters easily and afford to pay them. I am either stuck in a wheelchair or a bed 24 hours a day, do you know what that is like? No. I need to utilize that disabled spot, and you want to begrudge me free meter use who has no freedom and a severely limited income. I feel sorry for you. I at least have empathy for others.

13 Connie Dobbs July 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM

#3 The correct answer is “Repo Man.”

14 Dotty July 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Hi Janis,

Thank you for pursuing my question from last week about the worn Bott’s dots at the intersection of Ygnacio Valley Road / Kirker Pass Road at Clayton Road?

Dotty

15 DWM July 7, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Additionally people need to stop passing on the right. Always, always, always pass on the left.

16 Captain Bebops July 7, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Last week I found a good reason to buy a dash cam. On the way to the store I stopped a 4 way intersection. An oncoming car was stopped and had the right-of-way to make a left turn. The street to my right sorta Ys back so it is not a straight four way intersection. There was no car waiting there so I was next to go after the other car made it’s turn. Just as I start up a bicyclist comes flying out of that street. He did not stop at the stop sign. Most cyclists at that intersection do stop to make sure they can be seen. Not this guy. What is with these people?

So when I got back home I ordered a dash cam. These are fairly inexpensive anymore and work like a DVR so they start when start the car and can remain running for a set time after you shut the car off. Not only that they are HD and work well in the dark.

It’s crazy out there!

17 Jay Dee July 7, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Maybe Janis could clear this up but DWM’s assertion that you should always pass on the left does not apply to freeways or multi-lane surface streets.

18 Buck July 7, 2014 at 7:24 PM

@Bubbles.Get out of bed 5 minutes earlier,so you dont’ have to drive over the posted speed limit.I dont’ care what lane you are in.

19 @ miss smiley July 7, 2014 at 7:45 PM

You do know there are a multitude of disabilities that are not physical? And, it would not be racist as you are not confronting his skin color or race/ethnicity, but you would be showing disability prejudice and discrimination by asking him . How do you know he does not have cancer, or that he is not on dialysis for kidney failure? How do you know he was not injured in Afghanistan protecting your freedom, and helps when he is feeling able to? Just because he helps the custodian does not mean he may not be disabled. Yes, some people abuse placards, but not all disabilities are visible, and many people tend to forget that.

20 I saw Captain Freeway July 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I even got a picture of him giving those gap-shooters the old “what-for”.

21 ANON July 7, 2014 at 8:04 PM

‘I need to utilize that disabled spot, and you want to begrudge me free meter use who has no freedom and a severely limited income.”

I have all the empathy in the world for you. But there are many who abuse the placard. They use their Grandmothers or dead Aunt’s. God help you if you challenge them–you will be called a racist if they are a certain color, I was lucky – I wrote citations – as many as I could when I wore a badge–I took placards from abusers & handed them a ticket.I wish I could do it again. I got a load of verbal abuse from these people which showed me they type of people they were.

22 ClayDen July 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Here’s another bit of trivia. The official name of the “portholes” on Buicks: Cruiserline Ventiports.

And remember, slower traffic keep right.

23 Which is why you still move over to the right July 7, 2014 at 8:33 PM

@Captain Freeway: I get your perspective on being annoyed by reckless driving, but it doesn’t negate the fact that if you are the slower vehicle in the left lane: move the hell over to the right.

The *worst* (sober) drivers on the freeway are the people taking up the left lane and trying to enforce the speed limit. This forces people to pass on the right, sometimes multiple lanes, cutting off drivers, and generally screwing with the speed layout of the lane system (you don’t want to pass on your right for a good reason). We could all avoid a much more dangerous situation if people would learn to move to the right when they are obviously not the fastest vehicle on the road (no matter what the speed limit sign says).

Here’s a simple trick in normal, flowing traffic: As long as you adjust your vehicle’s speed so you are always going to go faster than the person on your right and slower than the person on your left, you’re good. If you’re on the far left, you better be passing everybody. Don’t hang in other people’s blind spots or box them in. Just drive so you are always either passing someone on the right or being passed by the left. If you’re in a middle lane and the person in front of you won’t allow this, it’s time to consider “passing” them when you get a chance on the left side. There are very good reasons why you want to allow for some fudge factor when it comes to the speed limit, and keeping traffic flowing in this way is one of them.

24 Killjoy July 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Driving movies:
“Christine”
“The Car”
More as I think of them. ;)

25 SKS July 7, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Move over to get the eff outta the way!

26 MrDioji July 7, 2014 at 9:05 PM

@bubbles #8:
That’s the kind of language that causes problems in the left lane. It should be referred to as the “passing lane”, not the “fast lane” since fast is a subjective term. Someone may be traveling 70 mph in the left lane, thinking they are going “fast” while someone who wants to go faster is behind them and the right lane is open. This is the problem. A lot of traffic would be alleviated if people understood this.

27 @#23 July 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM

So, the LEGAL speed limit is whatever you want it to be, whatever suits your particular needs. Do you also have the same feeling about the law when it comes to legal/illegal immigrants? Those illegals don’t agree with the law and do what best suits them. Sounds like you have the same attitudes about legal vs illegal that they all do.

28 Antler July 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM

#23 ….. Just to say I agree with everything you wrote!

29 @#19 July 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Of course I realize there are many disabilities that are unseen. I work at a hospital. I won’t go into it, but there’s more to this story than I’m comfortable getting into at this point. Let’s just say that we all know he’s abusing the privilege, but none of us are willing to suffer the lawsuits by confronting the situation. I’ll leave it at that.

30 Michelle July 7, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I like the theme song from “fast and furious”. :-)

31 Connie Dobbs July 7, 2014 at 9:18 PM

#22 I thought they were called “speed holes”.

32 Teacher Wannabe July 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM

@Which is why you still move over to the right. I drive 24 every weekday. From the 980 break to the tunnel I would have to keep increasing my speed to over 100 to keep going faster than the flow of traffic, if I’m doing 80 in the fast lane people can just do what Bill Cosby said, “come around idiot, come around”. Today there was a “race car” (Lotus or similar) that came (flew) in behind me, passed me, and was gone before I could even think about moving over.

33 Michelle July 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM

@Connie
#22 is probably referring to the ‘potholes’ in the street. The city really needs to do some maintenance work around town.

34 MadMom July 7, 2014 at 11:23 PM

While we’re complaining about selfish drivers, today I was behind a beautiful Charger entering 242. They were driving so slow! Then, right as they were about to merge into traffic, they hit the gas and flew over to the far left lane. Then back to putt putt mode. When I finally passed them(sadly on the right) I saw the driver was an older man…texting!
As far as disabled parking privileges, of course there are a lot of cheaters out there. The problem is, we really don’t know what other people are dealing with. After helping at school, that dad might pay the price of his actions with body pain or numbness. I know a few men on disability that are always trying to prove that they can still do things. That they have something to contribute That’s just a different perspective..

35 ClayDen July 8, 2014 at 12:06 AM

@31: Cruiserline Ventiports is the official name from GM.
@33: The “portholes” (as they are often called) have been a styling element on Buicks since the 1950s.

36 @Teacher Wannabe July 8, 2014 at 1:27 AM

You don’t have to go 100MPH to stay above the flow of traffic. Just don’t drive in the left lane. It’s a simple concept, really.

@27,
Your question should be, “Do you feel it’s your job to enforce immigration law by rounding up all the illegals and driving them back to their home countries yourself?” The answer, of course, is no, just like it’s not your job to enforce the speed limit by blocking speeders with your car.

37 crotchety old geezer July 8, 2014 at 3:04 AM

@ captain freeway and any other:

I’m quite sorry sir/madam, but most folks in the fast lane ARE just parked with their selfish little brains on autopilot. Or they feel they should be the self appointed Safety Squad Road Patrol.

California used to be a Great State. There were, (and still are) laws on the books that used to be enforced. Slower traffic keep right. There even used to be signs on the roadside stating the above. Many of those signs. Get this: People actually would pull to the side of the road to let others pass! No Joke! I STILL do that if I happen to be driving something big, slow, or with a trailer.

Yeah, you should get out of the way if someone wants to pass you.

Rear view mirrors are mandated by law. Use them. Be polite. If someone wants to risk an encounter with their local gendarmerie, that is their privilege.

And, @ MadMom, I feel your pain. You are getting on a freeway. It’s the accelerator pedal, not the brake pedal… :(~

38 Handicapped Placard July 8, 2014 at 6:43 AM

I have one. But I use it sparingly. Some days my back doesn’t bother me, but other days it feels like it’s on fire.
To watch me, you would have no idea of the pain I’m in. That is until you watch me get in my car, and actually have to lift my leg, with my hand, to help get it in the car.
Don’t be so quick to judge people who do have them.

39 Michelle July 8, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Thank you ClayDen for clearing that up. I looked it up on line, I didn’t realize it was a styling element.

40 Silva July 8, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Funny me not also mentioning “Fast Car”, Tracy Chapman. Not much ever makes me cry. Several years after that came out, after much desensitizing, I can enjoy it without blubbering. Family was exasperated when it played on the car radio.

41 Connie Dobbs July 8, 2014 at 8:00 AM

“Speed holes” is a Simpsons reference.

42 Silva July 8, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Hot Rod Lincoln. Texas Rockabilly. :)

43 Cowellian July 8, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I have my own LEO buddy, a CHP officer, who told me that blocking the left lane to enforce the speed limit is a form of road rage that can get you an aggressive driving ticket.

44 Atticus Thraxx July 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Steely Dan AND Tracy Chapman? You and I are done Silva.

45 Regular Guy July 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM

@”To Able Bodied People” #12

I am truly sorry to hear of your severe disability and limited income. You should qualify for assistance based on the latter.
However, I know a paraplegic who earns quite a good (and well deserved) income and for whom such assistance would not be warranted.

46 Silva July 8, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Okay, Atticus Thraxx. It’s about BOSTON, isn’t it!!

47 Silva July 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Tracy sang “A Place For Me In Your Heart” at my mom’s funeral.

48 Silva July 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM

She’d have hated it too.

49 Captain Freeway July 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM

@ Defenders of Aggressive Driving: Of course there are slow-poke drivers out there who seem to “camp out” in the far left lane. Yes!! They should move over and not hold up traffic!! We all get that. Still, it’s funny how some folks on here will twist someone’s post around so they can justify their own bad driving behavior. So in return to those people that would get in “your way”, I offer the following: Even if you are already going over the speed limit and flow of traffic in the far left lane and passing slower drivers to your right, go ahead and move to the right upon the arrival of all aggressive drivers without exception. Heck, might as well give up on safety and move over for them even if it’s not safe to do so and even if you would disrupt what might be a smooth and safe flow of traffic. Shoot, while you’re at it, why not always keep your eyes open for the gap-shooters, anticipate their approach and everyone just clear out the left lane completely and reward bad behavior more. After all, they really might be a doctor late for surgery. You just never know right? The chances are pretty low that they’re actually an Overly Aggressive, Selfish, Speeding, Lane-Changing, Tail-Gating, Exit Cheating, Cigarette Butt Tossing Gap-Shooter. Yup, and always remember that if you’re already going well over the speed limit and an aggressive gap-shooter comes up behind you – it will be You (the slower driver) that doesn’t get out of the way of the jerk in time that will get the ticket from law enforcement… not the driver that’s in front of the jerk. It’s funny how many people seem to defend aggressive driving on here, calling out the slow drivers as the problems on the road – not themselves and the reason they can be aggressive. Yup, yeah… for sure. Be safe out there everyone, watch out for the gap-shooters and try not to be one yourself! Take care, CF :)

50 Silva July 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM

#12, you said that so very well, and I’m sorry.

51 Captain Freeway July 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Correcting part of my prior post… sorry for the mistake. CF

Yup, and always remember that if you’re already going well over the speed limit and an aggressive gap-shooter comes up behind you – it will be You (the slower driver) that doesn’t get out of the way of the jerk driver in time that will get the ticket from law enforcement… not the actual jerk aggressive driver.

52 @Cap'n Freeway July 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM

As usual, you completely missed the point, which is that it’s NOT YOUR JOB to enforce the speed limit or punish “gap-shooters”, as you like to call them.

BTW, that was a nice picture of you that someone posted earlier. It really captures your essence.

53 barron July 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I like turtles

54 @regular guy July 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

What a way to generalize an entire population. Just because that is the case for your ONE friend does not mean it is like that for each and every person who is disabled. That is not how real life works.

55 Regular Guy July 8, 2014 at 5:18 PM

@54

You, too, are generalizing a whole population. I’m not begrudging needed assistance, only suggesting it should be based on need and not some arbitrary criteria.

56 Captain Freeway July 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM

@52 – I never said it was my job to enforce speed limits or punish gap-shooters. Nor do I do so. What I actually do is call out aggressive drivers in this forum like some choose to call out other bad behaviors. That’s part of what this forum is for. Some, not saying you, actually choose to defend bad behavior here. Whatever! BTW, I enjoyed the picture because I got a good laugh from it and others probably did too. (Smile)

57 HWY 4 July 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM

HWY 4 does not have any signs that say slower traffic keep right. I think that only applies to the interstate and not freeways. As long as I am going the posted speed limit, I will drive in any lane I choose.

58 interesting July 8, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Funny how some people like to justify breaking the law (in this case the legal speed limit), yet get extremely upset when others choose to break other laws; immigration, gun, drugs, drinking, texting while driving etc.
SO: are laws to be followed, or broken when it best suits you?

59 Fetching Kitty July 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Speed Demons vs. Noodges – no winners on either side. Look at the big picture and drive cooperatively and defensively. That’s what the rest of us are doing.

60 Marissa July 8, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Idiot signs!

61 Atticus Thraxx July 9, 2014 at 6:39 AM

So far barron has made the most salient point. And I join him in enjoying turtles.

62 nytemuvr July 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I like turtles too, it’s just what people call them on the northwest coast and I’ve heard Botts’ Dots called “turtles” in other parts of the country (mid-west) also.

63 Shiloh July 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM

@52, you’re all missing the point! I believe what he originally said was that if you are in the left lane because you are passing slower drivers in the right lane,and then some hot shot barrels up on you and tail gates you, you don’t have to squeeze yourself in between those slow drivers you were passing just to let this guy have his way. You can pass the slower cars in the right (without speeding up to 90 mph) and THEN get over and let the hot shot pass you.

64 RunDogRun July 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Driving movie: Thelma and Louise!

65 Silva July 9, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Aw, Antler whatever it was you’re welcome!

66 Larrabee July 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Driving movie: “It’s a mad, mad, mad, mad world”

67 Captain Freeway July 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Thanks Shiloh (63) – you got it spot on. :) CF

68 Antler July 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM

#57…. Are you by any chance from the East Coast, where there is such a thing as a “freeway”? (Even though the sign clearly says I-95 or I-64….. “Naw-sir, it used to be called a freeway and no gummint busybody is bullying me about how to talk!” ) ;-)

69 Antler July 10, 2014 at 10:58 PM

MEMORY WARNING, Lane-Changing Tale:

One Saturday back some 8 years ago, I was driving my SUV in the “far left”/”passing”/”#1″ lane on I-680 just south of Danville. I was going about 72mph, but in the rear view mirror I could tell that ClayDen (piloting something small, bright blue, and gorgeous) was maybe an eighth of a mile behind me but gaining really-really fast. So I hit the right turn signal and started aiming for a large space between two vehicles in the lane just to my right….flipped the turn signal…. turned my head to glance over my right shoulder (and actually was almost on the lane divider dashes) JUST as a huge motorcycle whipped from behind me into that same lane, hit his accelerator, and flipped me off on his way past (and agonizingly close to) my right front fender. He obviously had pulled over from the #2 lane awhile back and had been riding tucked up close into my blind spot near my right rear bumper…..never saw him…..never heard him either until he zoomed past.

I was so badly frightened that I had to move lane-by-lane to the right, take the next off-ramp, park, and give way to great gulping sobs. I mean ….. aside from my never wanting to kill another human being…… traffic to my right was heavy enough that had I hit the motorcyclist, then an horrific chain reaction of collisions would have followed. Maybe you can tell that I’m still not over the “what if’s”!

70 Antler July 10, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Question for the supple, scintillating, ever-resilient Traffic Jammer…… actually for any of you:

Most public-street parking spaces designated for handicapped usage also have parking meters on the curb in front of them. So let’s just say that the handicapped person or the driver DOES have plenty of money and actually WANTS to feed the meter. Are those meters even functional?

71 Miranda July 10, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Oh Antler, that sounds horrible. Glad you made it through that; I have a similar story about bikes on a train track and no one was really concerned. Terrible world we live in.

72 @Antler July 11, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Get over it. Sounds like you are the kind of driver that most competent drivers dread out there–Timid and skittish, don’t know what to do.

73 Antler July 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Troll at #72 ….
Obviously, I not only KNEW what to do, but I SUCCEEDED in doing it! I did not smear the idiot all over the interstate ….. which would have snowballed into other collisions and possibly more deaths, including my own.

An emotional meltdown AFTERWARD is quite common when such a strong adrenaline rush hits ones system instantaneously. And my “crying it out” for a few minutes before continuing my trip is a far more competent reaction than going into road rage would have been.

I have NO moving violations in over 58 years of driving.