Martinez Man Gives a Big 57th Anniversary Surprise to Concord Couple

July 7, 2014 8:00 am · 42 comments

Let’s start this Monday out on a happy note.

Here some good news from a Claycordian….

I would like to share a act of kindness story with the community.

June 29th was my parents 57th anniversary and they got married in 1957. I had this idea of finding someone who owned a ’57 Chevy to chauffer my parents from their home in Concord to a restaurant in Clayton; my brother and sister said “good luck”, but they both liked the idea.

I was now on a mission to find a kind person who would be willing to do something special and we were offering to pay for gas, one day insurance, and whatever else they wanted and I only had a week. I called Concord Parks & Rec and got connected with Elizabeth who had more information about old car owners and offered to help in my search. In the meantime, I searched online for local car clubs and then decided to just try to find a ’57 of any model. I went to the Clayton, Concord and Martinez car shows. Everyone I spoke to thought it was a sweet and great idea, but no takers. When I was at the Concord car show, a couple of gentlemen told me to go to Martinez and that I would find more old cars there; so I did.

While at Martinez and talking to people all said that it was a great idea and again, no takers. There were two gentlemen representing two low rider car clubs; I thought for sure I find someone. One guy said that he had a ’48 and if it wasn’t in the shop, he would of offered and told me not to give up that I would find someone. So just when I was walking down the last street, I saw a beautiful 1935 Phaeton. I asked the gentleman that I was standing next too if he knew who owned the car; he did (Dave from Martinez) and started telling me more about the car. Then I told him my story and he said that it would be an honor and that’s what these cars are for. I was so happy that I was crying tears of joy. I told him that we would pay him and he said that he didn’t want any money; all he wanted was a picture of my parents standing next to his car.

So on Sunday, June 29th, this stranger (to my parents) comes to their house and surprises them. My parents were very surprised and my dad was speechless.

That’s wonderful, thanks to Bernadette for sharing the story, and thanks to Dave in Martinez for doing a wonderful thing for the family.

Congratulations, and happy 57th anniversary to the beautiful couple!

{ 42 comments }

1 Miss Ranchogirl July 7, 2014 at 8:16 AM

what a sweet story!

2 J R July 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM

A random act of kindness gets high marks. . . . .

3 bishop estates July 7, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Thanks for sharing great pix with wonderful story…very uplifting on this Mon!

4 Dee July 7, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Yea for Dave in Martinez! :) This is the kind of stuff we need more of and less of all the “all about me” attitudes. Happy Anniversary to this lucky couple for a daughter who still has a sense of what family is about :)

5 Anon July 7, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I have tears in my eyes!! Great story and Dave whoever you are you are wonderful!

6 Vindex July 7, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Great story!!!!!!!!

7 anon July 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Wow- 57 years is such a milestone! What a heartwarming story and a great show of kindness by Dave & their daughter. Good things come to good people.

8 ClayDen July 7, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

9 Hope July 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Nice to know there’s still really good people out there.

10 NoMoreFreeRide July 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Proof there is still good people in this world! Happy Anniversary!

11 monty abballo July 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM

6/29/57. The day before I was born!

12 Ken July 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Props to Dave from Martinez! I’m surprised it took so long to find someone willing to offer up their car. As the owner of a classic car I’d jump at the opportunity. A lot of the fun of owning an old car is seeing the memories it conjures up for folks – to be part of making a new memory would be even better. That family will talk about this for years. Very cool story. Happy anniversary!

13 dreams do come true July 7, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Thanks Dave for making a special day more special. You are so awesome! Happy Anniversary to the happy couple.

14 That's All Folks! July 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Cute story, thanx for sharing.

15 Buster July 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Real people do real nice things for others.
Very well done Dave!

16 MadMom July 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM

This is the best way to start the week. Thanks Mayor and thank you Dave in Martinez

17 Anon777 July 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Love this kind of story! Happy Anniversary to the couple and THANK YOU to Dave of Martinez – wonderful act of kindness!

18 Concord Res July 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM

To a Great Couple who did everything right! Happy Anniversary!
Your Friend
ALDO

19 Dorothy July 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Lovely story, lovely couple, lovely car. And lovely for sharing a good story.

20 Blink July 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Love and commitment …what joy to honor your parents
Such a nice story to start a Monday with

Hats off to Dave of Martinez ….joy of giving and brightening many readers day also…nice!

21 Cowellian July 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Nice!

22 mohairs July 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Look at them in the back of that gorgeous car! How very nice. Hope they enjoyed a wonderful time!

23 WolfPackMom July 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

So wonderful to hear such sweet gestures of generosity! Congrats to the lovely couple!!

24 Chevrolet girl July 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM

That’s was so kind of you Dave! Beautiful car! I was lucky enough to ride in a 1936 Ford Phaeton on my wedding day. It’s great to see such a long lasting marriage! Many more happy years to the lovely couple!

25 RANDOM TASK July 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM

nice story glad to see it…….

26 Cheryl July 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Great story! Kudos to Dave!

27 Michelle July 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Well done, Dave and Happy Anniversary to your folks! It’s nice to read about things like this.

28 me July 7, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Nice gift!!! We need more of this.. Caring for and honoring our elders.. btw same year my parents were married. Still married.. Think of all they went through, together still, and history etc.. wow…

29 Arturo July 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Very nice story, thanks to David and happy anniversary to the couple.

My fiancee and I are in the same position as David, we have been asking looking for someone who has a classic car that would be willing to drive us to our wedding, as we will gladly pay anyone for this service. Does anyone know someone who has a classic car that may be able to help? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

30 Mimi (original) July 7, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I LOVE pleasant news!! How wonderful for all involved.

31 What security July 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM

great news

32 Meredith Scott July 7, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I have a friend that lives on 57 Chevy Place in Alamo/Danville. I think her Dad owns one and lives on the street as well, but I don’t know his last name. It’s off San Ramon Valley Rd..you might do a drive by and see what you can find.

33 Connie Dobbs July 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Dave, you’re a mensch, and Bernadette, there’s a reason why you’re the favorite child.

34 Silva July 8, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I’m so glad this story made the cut. Why wouldn’t it though? What a lovely couple. Incredibly thoughtful son or daughter, and Dave from Martinez, you ROCK! I have a hunch you had as good a time as everyone else with your kind and generous self! Heart warming.

35 b_arendtson@hotmail.com July 8, 2014 at 9:35 AM

happy anniversary to the great couple…..

i think its great someone still has a heart and is not in it for the money….

god bless this kind soul.
god bless this couple.

sounds like they had the ride of there life…

B.

36 Sue July 8, 2014 at 2:28 PM

The best. Thanks Dave and woe to the couple.
Respect your elders ! Morals, values and kindness is the greatest gift we have.

37 Shelly July 8, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Sue (#36), I don’t think “woe” means what you think it means.

38 Aina July 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Cool! My parents celebrate their 60th Anniversary August 1. I’d love to hire Dave to take them to their celebration that evening! Can anyone put me in touch with Dave? ainamar@aol.com

39 I'm The Urban Spaceman July 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM

With all the crap going on in the world today, it’s refreshing to read such a sweet story. Thanks Mayor for sharing this.

40 Atticus Thraxx July 8, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Beautiful car and a beautiful cat to not only help, but do so eagerly.

41 Bernadette July 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words. My parents are very special and this is something that our family will never forget. I’ve always said that if there’s a will there’s a way. If you have no will, you have no way. May God bless Dave over and over again.

42 deb July 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM

well my friend, you never fail to amaze me with all the fabulous things you do for other people and I know you get as much enjoyment out of it, if not more so of the people you gift to , you are a true inspiration to me ! and my congrats to the happy couple that too, is also a great inspiration . I’m proud and fortunate to know such a wonderful person, friend & family . Your Just Awesome , Dave .