LOST: Missing Dog Near the Concord & Clayton Border – Ran Away on July 3rd

July 6, 2014 9:42 am · 27 comments

missing

This beautiful dog, “Maui”, has been missing since she ran away from her home in Concord’s State Streets neighborhood (in the area of Clayton Rd. & Ygnacio Valley Rd.)

Maui is a 65-75 pound Golden Retriever mix. She is friendly, but sometimes shy. She is about 11 years old, and had her ACL repaired earlier this year, so she may not be moving too quickly. When last seen, had a turquoise collar with blue sea turtles on it.

If you have any information on the whereabouts of Maui, please email news@claycord.com or call 925-408-7901 and we will get you in contact with her family.

Thank you.

maui

{ 27 comments }

1 Shasta Daisy July 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Headed that direction now.
I’ll look for her.

Hope she finds her way home.

2 We'll keep an eye out for her.... July 6, 2014 at 11:40 AM

BTW….it was nice to see that a number of mouthbreathing morons blew their hands and fingers off on the 4th….

3 oh sad July 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Please… someone find her in this heat!
I live way down the hill from there, but will keep my eyes open.

4 michelle July 6, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Did u check the shelter to see if someone turned her in ..

5 Momo July 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Years ago our dog got loose. We live by concord high school. 3 days later we got a call from a woman who lives by Clayton valley high school who had our dog in her backyard. My point being don’t just look on the neighborhood where the dog is from. It could be miles away.

6 Amy July 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I will watch out for her, too. Prayers for getting Maui back home safely. I keep treats and a leash in my car for occasions like this.

7 ClayDen July 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM

If you have an outside pet, bring them in no later than July 2nd and keep them in until at least the 5th. Many years ago we had a beautiful cat that took off on the 4th. After a few days, we thought he was gone for good. He returned after 6 weeks and never left again. Of course he was always brought in a few days before the 4th and kept in until the 5th or 6th after that year.

8 Anonymous July 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Any chance animal #A767830 at Animal Services is her? I know they look to be very different colors from the pictures provided, but also know colors can come out not very “true to life” in photos. Anyway, just a chance. In any event, hope she’s home safely soon!

9 Denisen July 6, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Hi all –

I’m Denisen Hartlove, Maui’s “person.” We haven’t found her yet, but I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their help so far in finding her, especially the Mayor, the peeps at NextDoor, and our many, many friends online and elsewhere who’ve been keeping an eye out for Good Dog Maui … We’re trying hard to keep our hopes up that she’ll come back, and the support and good wishes from all are tremendously helpful. Thank you so much!

A couple of quick notes to answer the questions above:

We’ve checked the shelters, both Martinez and Vallejo. The volunteers at Martinez were so kind, though somewhat heart rending to see all the lost animals waiting to be found by their owners. Anonymous, we checked out A767… – my husband actually drove out to double-check in person – but sadly that’s not her. Vallejo shelter lady also super helpful – they’re apparently no longer able to take pics of all their rescued animals, but she took a picture with her personal cell phone and sent it to me. Also not Maui, but wow, that was going the extra mile for the stretched thin shelter staffs – thanks Bree!!!

A couple of people have asked if she’s microchipped. Yes she is, and I phoned the chip people who confirmed our info is still accurate. When last we checked, she also had a tag on her collar (although sometimes they just … fall off …) with our number on there. (Btw, the microchip guy was super funny, pointing out that the chips are active only when scanned, and not actually GPS systems to track the dog’s location. Bummer that. Seems like it’d be good technology, and we could then maybe chip our teens as well? [This is a joke!])

If you’re inclined, or looking for a way to help, please feel free to print out the FidoAlert poster, above, and post a few around your neighborhood. Our feeling is that whomever has her may not realize she’s someone’s house dog – maybe they’re not online? – and we’re hopeful they’ll see a poster and give us a call. :-) We’ve posted nearly 100 now ourselves, but every little bit helps.

We’ve picked up and brought home the occasional stray dog ourselves, and we’re hoping the universe sends us back our dog as well. In the meantime, though, thanks a TON for all your help – we’ll let you know as soon as Maui comes home.

xoxoxoxo -

Denisen Hartlove and family

10 animal lover July 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I hope that Maui comes home safe and sound soon…I know she is missing you as much as you miss her…..I am glad to hear that people are looking for her…and hope she is returned soon…..please let us know as soon as she is home….we are praying for her safe return.

11 Gabriel LeBaron July 7, 2014 at 2:02 AM

This dog was brought into the martinez animal shelter i think it might be your dog

This DOG – ID#A767830

I am described as a female, gold Golden Retriever mix. You will find me in Kennel # Q11

The shelter thinks I am about 4 years old

I have been at the shelter since Jul 05, 2014.

This information is 1 hour old.

12 DogMama July 7, 2014 at 6:43 AM

I hope you find your beautiful Maui soon. Prayers to you and to her.

13 Cody July 7, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I am praying that Maui finds her way back to you…. obviously you are a loving family and she means a lot to you (as my dogs are to me, part of the family).
Please keep us updated!

Also, I lost a dog a few years ago and it really did a number on me! The entire first night I couldn’t sleep because I kept thinking he would come home – so I sat on the porch all night long. After 3 very long days, I called the shelter as I had every day and he was there! After that he became strictly an ‘inside dog’.

I know what you are going through and how heart wrenching this can be. Stay positive!

14 Mary Fouts July 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM

@Denisen: Keep checking (in person) the Martinez and Vallejo shelters. Sometimes the description you give over the phone is interpreted differently by the shelters’ wonderful staff and volunteers. We found and quickly reunited a neighborhood dog that got out over the holiday, hopefully similar positive results will come your way. Sending blessings.

(My 14-year old Chow mix Titus is deaf due to age-related hearing loss. One positive outcome of his deafness is that he no longer hears firecrackers and fireworks; he was scared to death of the sounds to the point we sometimes had to give him a vet-prescribed sedative.)

15 skrab July 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM

DON’T CHECK THE VALLEJO SHELTER.

Your dog would not be sent to a shelter in Vallejo. There is a county animal shelter in Martinez and one in Pinole. Check those!

16 doggyfound July 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM

MAUI HAS BEEN FOUND AND REUNITED WITH HER FAMILY

17 Shasta Daisy July 7, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I love happy endings.

18 SeeK July 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Yaaay!

19 KAD July 7, 2014 at 9:24 PM

That is so wonderful. Thanks for letting us know.

20 Teacher July 7, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I am so happy she was found. May I ask where she was found. I saw some ladies today who looked like they were trying to catch a dog that looked like Maui. Maybe that was her. Well whoever found her, great job.

21 Vanessa July 7, 2014 at 10:51 PM

This is so wonderful! :-) Glad she was found, make sure you bathe it with a flea and tick shampoo because you don’t know where she has been and there are so many strays on the street. You should take her to the vet to check for mange, pox and warts; these can be indicators of various infections and diseases.

22 animal lover July 8, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I am so happy Maui is back home safe and sound with her family…and so many people were looking for her….there are so many good people out there that do care……give Maui a bigggy hug from all of us animal lovers….we are sharing your happiness she is home safe and sound….this is going to be a good day now…..Yippy…..

23 Chris D July 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM

She was found at Michigan and ygnacio valley road in the bushes

24 Amy July 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Thank God Maui was found safe!!!!!!

25 Silva July 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM

We all share in your joy, I hope she’s in good shape and stays with you from now on!

26 Denisen July 9, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Wanted to just put in a quick epilogue to the Saga of Maui … ;-)

Maui was found on Monday, thanks to the combined efforts of the entire community!

Our heartfelt thanks go to everyone, including all who copied and hung the “Lost Dog” posters (a truck driver saw one and called early that morning to say he’d seen her), the folks at Hansen Mines (who also called to give heads up that she’d been seen, then put out calls to all of their drivers), Samantha with C&M Excavation and Trucking (who helped us track Maui down Pine Hollow Road), Jennifer Jay (who coordinated search efforts), Brittany Schroeder (who actually dove under prickly, sticky bushes at Ygnacio Valley and Michigan to pull Maui out from under, and brought her home to safety), and more!

And that’s just the beginning.

Our family’s heartfelt thanks also go to the online folks (I’m looking at you, Mayor!) who helped publicize our search, everyone who hit “share” on our numerous Facebook updates, those who dropped everything Monday in response to the latest update that at long last, our dog had been seen, the super-nice volunteers and staff at both Martinez and Vallejo shelters, the dog groomers who once Maui had been recovered stayed hours after normal closing to help pull foxtails, concrete and (**ew**) ticks off our frightened and skinny dog, etc., etc., etc.

Without the help of our community, Good Dog Maui may never have made it home. We’re so beyond grateful, and feeling especially blessed.

Thank you ALL!!!!

27 JET July 10, 2014 at 7:03 AM

@Denisen -
Reading this update has made a great start to my Thursday! Thank you and I can’t tell you how happy I am that your family and Maui have been reunited.
Nice to hear these positive stories once in a while with all the other negative news out there.