Pet Owners Reminded to Protect their Animals During 4th of July Festivities

July 4, 2014 11:00 am · 17 comments

america

Contra Costa County Animal Services is reminding Claycord pet owners to keep an eye out for their furry friends during the Fourth of July holiday.

Fireworks can be especially frightening for dogs, which are known to escape or hide during Independence Day festivities, according to Animal Services officials.

Pet owners are advised to keep their animals inside during nearby fireworks displays and to provide a safe spot indoors for dogs if they get scared.

All pets should be outfitted with identification tags and a properly fitted collar in case they do make it outside, Animal Services officials said.

Dog owners who can’t be at home today are advised to close all windows and curtains and leave a TV or radio on to help drown out the sound of fireworks.

Pet owners should never use fireworks near their dogs, Animal Services officials said.

Possession of fireworks is illegal throughout Contra Costa County and law enforcement officers will be on patrol this holiday weekend to confiscate the explosives, according to the county sheriff’s office.

1 I give my dogs a bowl of Miller High Life around 8 PM July 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM

nothing bothers them until 3 AM when they wake up demanding Chorizo Omlettes…..

2 @1 July 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Are they 21 years old. :)

3 funny man July 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM

a sign of the end of times:
when COMMON sense is RARE

tip #4: don’t hold the fireworks in your hand while you lite it…
RIGHT, based on passed storys SOMEONE is gunna loss a hand or finger this weekend.

4 Ancient Mariner July 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

In dog years, I bet they are!

5 FormerWoodsideParent July 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM

We have a German Shepherd Dog that goes into hysterics with fireworks, New Years and July 4th. We have to sedate her and one of us has to stay home with her. The bigger problem is the idiots who insist on setting off M80-type (and larger) fireworks around the neighborhood. And this happened a while back:

Not sure why people insist on doing their own thing with fireworks. Sparklers & related things I can understand – but the loud stuff that can injure and/or kill you, I just don’t get it.

6 Freeman July 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM

You know what’s even more dangerous? Taking your pet to Lazy Dog.

7 Happy 4th July 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July…and does not lose any fingers or hands this year…..be safe….have fun…do not drive and drink….but have fun…you can have fun on this special day…stay overnite at a relatives if you cannot drive home…safer for you…and you can enjoy next years 4th…

8 nytemuvr July 4, 2014 at 2:29 PM

@FormerWoodsideParent #5
” but the loud stuff that can injure and/or kill you, I just don’t get it.”…..I think it’s a testosterone thing, a man’s whole life….bigger, louder explosions are better.

9 @6 July 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Recent inspections are first in two years for Lazy Dog. Overdue.

10 Kristen July 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Happy 4th of July everyone!
Found a Dog today running around in park N shop
Really nice and friendly
Hope everyone has lots of fun today and stay safe

11 Anon July 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

And, let us not forget, YOUR NEIGHBORS.
They deserve some TLC for putting up with your festivities.

12 Anon-E-Cat July 4, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Every year the court in our neighborhood has a big party. They set off all sorts of loud ILLEGAL fireworks. I have Ben calling concord pd on them for years pd NEVER responds. The best call I had with a dispatcher she got testy with me and asked me if I knew how many fireworks calls they had at that moment. Useless neighbors only care about themselves we have to sedate our dogs and pick up the sticks from their bottle rockets and other ILLEGAL fireworks. It really sucks when they wind up in our yard.

13 Cash July 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM

fireworks may be illegal, but that doesn’t stop anyone. Right now at 10 pm on the Claycord border, it sounds like a war zone. I can see fireworks flaring up all around the Kirker Pass and Clayton Road area. And the loud booms can’t be drowned out by the loudest tv and radio. No one can sleep, and my dog is terrified. I’ve had to drug her and lock her up after holding her for the last hour… I hope everyone is having fun blowing up stuff, because you’ve made it miserable for many of us.

14 ChampagneKitty July 4, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Even though it isn’t hot any more, I’ve still got the fans and the A/C on, to help mask the noise of the fireworks. Abby is doing fine, but little baby Patrick needs some reassuring. He looks concerned and anxious and keeps looking toward the window. I’m giving him lots of pets and kisses to let him know that everything is okay and he is safe.

15 Anon July 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM

As gun fire erupts from State Streets, ever classy Concord.

16 Anon-E-Cat July 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

@Cash – Totally agree – had one large firework go off that made me jump. I’m around Claycord/Clayton Rd./Bassett Dr. so tired of all of this – can’t wait for either those neighbors move or us – they started having the parties about 8 years ago.

17 sara July 6, 2014 at 2:20 PM

My dog is missing! She is about 35lbs, white lab mix. She is very sweet, her name is Sadie. We were out of town and had a petsitter, but she got away. She has a purple collar on but her id tag fell off :(