REMINDER: Fireworks Banned in Contra Costa County

July 3, 2014 · 29 comments

10365944_10152135042626561_216911463247899367_n

The Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff would like to remind all county residents about the use of fireworks during the 4th of July holiday.

Contra Costa County is a ‘fireworks-free zone’; the sale, possession or use of fireworks of all types and sizes (including Safe & Sane fireworks) are banned in the county (County ordinance 44-2.002). This includes the unincorporated areas as well as the cities.

Deputy Sheriffs and officers will confiscate all fireworks. Typical fireworks problems in the past have included aerial skyrockets of varying sizes, from bottle rockets to three inch mortar launched shells. Fireworks purchased in neighboring counties, other states, or over the internet are illegal to use or possess in Contra Costa County.

Offenders could also face up to $500 in fines. Possession of dangerous fireworks, like M-80’s or cherry bombs, constitute a felony and could result in fines of up to $5,000 and imprisonment.

Violators may either receive a citation in the case of a misdemeanor, or they could be booked at the jail for felony use or possession of fireworks.

If you’d like to watch LEGAL fireworks, please visit Mt. Diablo High School in Concord on July 4th. The fireworks show starts at 9pm!

1 Jason L. July 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I wish it wasn’t so, but undoubtedly on July 5 we will see numerous stories of people blowing off their fingers or giving themselves 3rd degree burns. And then we wonder why health care costs so much in this country.

2 Bruce July 3, 2014 at 9:20 AM

We have a Concord cop that lives on our street. He always puts on the best illegal fireworks display. He’s a really nice guy but it does prove the point that there are laws for the public and then another set of laws for cops.

3 ... July 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Never seems to stop the idiot who lives South of the Catholic church on the State streets, Eastern border of Concord.

4 elephant July 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM

how about that pipe bomb? lol

5 Find Waldo July 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM

The “safe and sane” fireworks are a waste of money. Very weak…

6 The Grant July 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM

taking my fireworks to hidden beach near Rio Del Mar / Aptos

7 no handle July 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Jason L ,

There is no need to wait until the 5th to start reading the stories.

8 Don P - n concord July 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

If your going to host an entertaining fireworks display ( I do every year) spend a few extra bucks on some extra fuse so you don’t have to light them from up close. Happy 4th everyone let’s light up the sky :-)

9 RunDogRun July 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Give me a break! Any fireworks
at this point would set my lawn on
fire!

10 a July 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM

“Deputy Sheriffs and officers will confiscate all fireworks.”

And take them home and shoot them off illegally themselves.

11 Jason L. July 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

@no handle you’re absolutely right. that helicopter ride alone, i’m sure, cost taxpayers a pretty penny.

12 anonanonagain July 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM

It’s as dry as a tinder box out there. Inevitably, I am sure that the Firemen will be busy putting out fires caused by the thoughtless nimrods out there who feel that they are above the laws. I hope that they charge these idiots for the manpower and the damage caused by their stupidity……

13 Idiocracy July 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Too many risks to legalize fireworks with our wonderful dry grassy hills and heat. They should have a man made lake surrounded by gravel for the public to go lite off some fun fireworks instead of being Nazis about it.

14 anon July 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I bet the idiot in my neighborhood over by valero station is a bigger idiot than your idiot on the state streets. I havent figured out who it is but i think it’s the idiot that there was an article here about him aiming his gun out in the open.

15 RunDogRun July 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I’ll bet your idiot isn’t as much of an idiot
as the idiot by me on Roanwood.

16 PHILTHYphresh July 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Maybe someone should start having a better relationship with their kids, then the kids won’t be blowing their faces off or trying to hide fireworks from their parents and set them off by themselves, then I could have my own fireworks show legally. Honestly if a grown man blows himself up with fireworks, there’s not much to be said about his intelect.

17 Anonymous July 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Not like that is going to stop anyone.

18 gonzo July 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM

then why are they being sold if they are illegal? i just picked some up at foodmaxx

19 hotdogjr July 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Wow,that is really something to think about,a Citation,that’s funny.How do they decide who pays the $6,000 in fines and who goes to jail.I just feel sorry for the firefighters and the ones who lose their houses,due to fireworks

20 Marianne July 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Anonymous, of course it won’t. It’s all hot air bells and whistles. It will happen anyway no matter what; but those that listen to the air become airheads themselves and just drag everyone down with them. Leave the fireworks to the professionals.

21 LARRY July 3, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Stupid people piss me off.

22 Subterfuge July 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Fireworks are banned but, guns are ok.

23 anon July 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM

my idiot has already started his fireworks. i told you my idiot is more idiotic than yours.

24 Dr. Jellyfinger® July 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Snickers is hiding in my bedroom closet.

25 anon July 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

idiots on Kenwal and Sutherland

26 Just Askin' July 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Some idiot firing a pistol into the air. If we’re lucky, one of the bullets will come down and drill his head.

27 @Dr. J July 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

And where is your Butterfinger hiding?

28 Steve July 5, 2014 at 11:24 PM

What a complete joke.
We were kept awake until 3am on the evening of the 4th and tonight those dicks are still letting aerial bombs off in and around Mt Diablo St in Concord. Why don’t the police get off their asses and do something? Our dogs are trying to hide and we are being violated. What is the point in making stupid laws that are not police-able? The jerks in City hall and the idiots who are employed to “serve and protect” should get their butts over here and do something. It’s ridiculous. I’d go and confront these brainless dicks in the street behind us, but I’d probably end up with a gunshot wound, or have some dick in a wife-beater set their pit bulls on me. What about us poor voice-less tax-payers? Does anyone care about decent law-abiding citizens?

29 Legalize Safe and Sane fireworks July 5, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Safe and sane rated fireworks should be allowed. The complete ban of fireworks is insane- the fireworks that cause fire are the ones that are not rated safe and sane. Go ahead and ban matches too. They also start fires! And ban guns; they kill people!