Blocking Numbers from Survey Companies

July 3, 2014 13:36 pm · 50 comments

If you’re sick & tired of unsolicited phone calls from the same number, one Claycordian has a fix for you.

Last weekend, we received at our house, four different phone calls from the same survey company called Universal Survey (646.467.6665).  I have no issue with an unsolicited survey call once in awhile, I understand the law allows them to call… politicians too.

Anyway, this outfit calls four times in four days, once at 9:00am Saturday morning which sort of pissed me off.  This was an abuse as far as I was concerned.

I called Astound and asked them to block this number for me and they said I could do it on my own phone by just entering *60 (“star 60″) and following the prompts to block that number.  Just thought I’d share this with you, as I had no idea I had this feature on my phone.  The Astound person told me that if I hit the *60 on the phone and a message came on that said “I’m sorry, this service is not available” to call them back and they would activate this service.  Mine worked the first time.

Thanks for the information!

Has anybody else used this feature?

{ 50 comments }

1 Enfield303 July 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM

will it work with Comcast?

2 Comcast too July 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I just tried it on my Comcast landline phone and it works there, too!

3 Mark July 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Thanks for the info, never heard of *60

I’m going to use that one a lot.

4 Clayton Squirrel July 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Good to know.

I’m really tired of the telemarketing calls. I am just not answering the phone anymore unless I know the number.

5 Anonymee July 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Thanks for the tip! I got called four times, too.

6 MadMom July 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM

That’s great news. I will do that. Recently I got so exasperated, I changed my voice-mail announcement to the 3 tone dead line sound followed with leave a message or call my cell.

7 But.... July 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM

In this day and age companies have the ability to call from several different numbers or even disguise their 800 number as a local number when calling so good luck in blocking number after number!

8 mika July 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM

How about ATT (landline)?

9 anon July 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Tried it and it works. Only problem is there is a limit on how many you can enter.

10 CrayZ July 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM

this has nothing to do with telemarketing but my dad keeps getting calls from some woman looking for richard! he has called her and spoke to her, but she calls multiple times a week so he finally blocked her on his cell phone but she STILL calls! she left a voice message today so i finally took matters into my own hands and spoke (yelled) at her myself. she sounded like a drunk high old woman with no sense of the world. i hate to be so rude but holy crap it is the worst to have someone keep calling and leaving weird voice messages and they don’t get the hint when you personally tell them that they have the wrong number!

11 Dorothy July 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM

If it works for Astound and Comcast, maybe it work with AT&T. I’ll try to remember that. I keep getting dead air calls so I’ll see if it works with that. In fact I just got one of them and tried the *60, Let’s see if I keep getting them or not.

12 Nutcreek Frontier July 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Thanks, very helpful tip!

13 Elwood July 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

@ mika #8

It’s a fee for service to get *60 from ATT.

You can only block 10 numbers and as another poster pointed out, the bad guys can spoof new numbers at will.

Using it is only slightly more difficult than launching a satellite.

14 Tired of calls July 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM

What does it cost?

15 Teacher Wannabe July 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

AT&T has call blocking. Problem, as But… mentioned, is they change the number abd keep harassing you. I get Universal Survey 3-4x a day.

16 Marianne July 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Thank you for this, it’s really good to know about things like this.

17 MeCrazyWoman July 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

The unwanted calls are so aggravating! We get around 10 a day. We have 12 numbers blocked (maximum that we can block).
I just don’t get it. Half the time no one is there if you do answer the phone. Do they just enjoy driving me crazy?
The do not call registry is a joke!

18 Mr.Bill July 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Yes works with Comcast. But, Comcast your only allowed 6 or 9 blocks.
Not enough

19 Anon July 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM

AT&T works like a charm. Got sick of this idiot from SirusXM calling me, so I *60-ed him, and he is no more. :) I think it is limited to 10 numbers, sadly.

20 Old Fart July 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM

@ Mika, Good old ATT calls that a feature that you have to pay for, at least it used to be when I worked for the phone company. If it happens to be free (I doubt it though) it’s *80 on an old ATT land line.

21 Reluctant farmer July 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

try Radio Shack for a plug in blocking thing. We have had ours for yrs and it holds 100 numbers. All you do is plug it into your landline and into the phone jack. It is a caller ID…dont know if its still available. We had one on 2 diff phones and at one time had 200 numbers blocked. LOL

22 Dale Keys July 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I have a little box called T-Block I got from Amazon when we got calls almost continuously. It cost about 60 bucks, but it will block thousands of numbers. When you get a call you want to block, just push the “Blacklist” button. When that call comes again, your phone will ring only once, and they’re GONE. I’ve probably blocked a couple hundred so far, best $60 I ever spent.

23 MeCrazyWoman July 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM

The Comcast limit is twelve. But there is another trick you can use after you hit the max – call forwarding to a number you know is dead (or to your favorite enemy’s #.

24 Old Fart July 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Hmmm, I just tried *60 from my ATT land line and it works just fine. Since I’ve been paying for the feature for more years than I’d like to admit and have always used *80 (per their instructions) I wonderhow long I’ve been paying for a free service?

25 Fred July 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Caller ID is pretty good for not answering these calls. Still you may have to delete any message they leave.

26 Dawg July 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Register your number with the National Do Not Call Registry, it won’t stop 100% of unwanted calls but it will stop most of them.

27 dilligafman July 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I rather like being rude to them and telling them to go F$#@ themselves!!!

28 Elwood July 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

@ Tired of calls #14

The ATT service is $8/month I think. Possibly $10.

29 Elwood July 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I look at Caller ID. If it says “Doofus Corp.” or “unknown number” it’s green button answer, red button hang up.

The phone stops ringing and they can’t leave a message.

30 mom July 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I answered the Universal folks last night; let her ask her question and my answer was “I don’t think I’ll tell you”. She politely said “that’s the end of my questions” and that was that. I am on the DO NOT CALL list; and I block numbers via my phone [not the phone company]. The blocked calls ring once; display as blocked; and disconnect with no message opportunity. It will be interesting to see if I ever get called by them again.

31 sTeVe July 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM

If you have Astound for your landline you can go to http://www.myastoundphone.net/ and set up Selective Rejection (call blocking) under Call Manager, for 12 numbers. You can copy/paste the numbers from Calls Received. You can also select Anonymous Rejection for calls that don’t provide caller id information. I get telemarketing calls for carpet cleaning and “Credit card services” all the time, but only once from any number.

32 billa July 3, 2014 at 5:56 PM

With the upcoming political season, I wish you could block out all the political robo calls. Absolutely hate the intrusion and the inability to comment back to the caller.

33 Marissa July 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Calmly, I just don’t answer.

34 Crazy husband July 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Answers those calls and then makes random farm animal noises. His best one is a pig. Gimme a call so you can hear it! LOL

35 Killjoy July 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Had a survey call from BofA last week. They went through their schpiel about how any ideas or results of the survey were their property and no financial gain for me would come of this survey…….
I stopped her at that point and asked “Then what’s in it for me?”
She asked “Do you want to take this survey?”
I replied “No”
And she hung up on me. LOL

36 RIII July 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Because I have some free time I wait for the “Live Person” to come onto the line. Then I politely ask, “Is Frank there?” They respond, Frank, Frank who?” And I respond, “He is the last a$$ hole I directed not to call this “%#@&$^” number.” A few have stopped calling and it’s a hoot to hear their response.

37 VikingPrincess July 3, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Thanks for the info. Let me know if there’s a special eject button for heavy breather calls.
People are getting more personal with calls, as if they are phishing….so I only answer if I know. If no message? Guess not important.

38 Marissa July 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM

love, I always answer the phone. I just tell them to stop and then hang up.

39 @CrayZ, #10------looking for Richard, say "just a minute, I'll get him" July 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM

then put phone down for several minutes, come back and tell her Richard doesn’t want to talk to you, or some version thereof, (said to go screw yourself, etc), hang up.

40 nytemuvr July 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM

@Mr.Bill #18
I can block 12 numbers on my Comcast….OH NO!…. Mr. SLUGGO!

41 Charles-the-cat July 4, 2014 at 12:24 AM

@CrayZ #10 – If the woman sounded old, perhaps she has dementia. That would explain why she gets agitated when she can’t find Richard.

42 MDUSD Grad July 4, 2014 at 4:46 AM

Survey companies are not limited by the Do Not Call list. To remove your number from Universal Survey’s list, go here:

I was getting calls from them 2-3 times/day. I put my number in on that page and haven’t gotten called since.

43 Cautiously Informed July 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Caller ID doesn’t always work when it comes to telemarketers. They use what’s called ‘spoofing’ with disconnected phone numbers.

44 Good heart July 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM

We need to implement better laws regarding the harassment on phone! Especially at senior citizens. My father has been called and harassed for years by one person. Because he got sarcastic with this man, the man continues to leave him messages and call and harass him. Unfortunately I haven’t been there when they came. Going to get him to try that block on Astound. This is so sick how they prey on senior citizens. This needs to be stopped!

45 P_Hill July 4, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I’ve tried most of the previously mentioned techniques but the calls kept coming. 3 or 4 a day. I finally found one that has stopped most of the calls. I answer the phone and let them state their name and about two sentences into their call I politely say, Excuse me Eric, “Use their name” Can you take me off your call list? Thank you. I’m only getting 1 or 2 a week now.

46 Fred Mertz July 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Is it free?

47 @ CrayZ July 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

She is probably calling from a nursing home looking for a dead husband, son or old boyfriend. Be nice, it could be you in a few years.
Poor woman.

48 Noj July 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM

@Fred Mertz #46

Star 60 service is free from Astound. See the attached Astound Customer Service Guide (page 8 of the 12 page file). You can block up to 12 numbers.

49 I'm The Urban Spaceman July 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I had Easter Seals constantly calling….blocked a number on Monday, they called from a different number on Tuesday, blocked that one, called fromn a 3rd number on Weds. blocked that one…Thursday, no phobne call.
Thanks Astound.

50 Blocker July 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I have Comcast, and searched on their service how to block some evildoers. I used to have ATT, and a search on their site allowed me to do the same (and I believe it was free at the time). BUT some actual phones can also perform this function (both landline and cell) depending upon the make. So for those of you who don’t wish to pay for the service, search on your phone makes to see if they have this option!