Aggressive Solicitor in Concord’s Canterbury Village Neighborhood

June 29, 2014 21:37 pm · 22 comments

Always be on alert when somebody knocks on your door and tries to get money from you, just like this anonymous Claycordian was when a man asked him to support a soccer team that was allegedly travelling to Ireland.

I wanted to write to you to see if anyone else experienced this strange solicitor in the Canterbury Village neighborhood.

After a knock at my door, I opened it and noticed a man (appeared to be in his late twenties with tattoos and ripped jeans) who asked me if I wanted to support his soccer team as they travel to Ireland. He mentioned he is from the neighborhood and asked if I knew two names and pointed in a weird general direction. I stated “no thanks” and he appeared to get agitated. He asked when he can come back to discuss this, and I said “still not interested thank you”.

I noticed a police car circling the neighborhood shortly after he knocked on my door. Just wondering if anyone else saw him today and thought it was a little odd that he was knocking on doors.

Thanks for the note.

Anybody else see this guy?

{ 22 comments }

1 Canterbury Neighbor June 29, 2014 at 9:55 PM

There was a similar looking fellow at our door a couple weeks ago, saying he was from CVHS and selling the Contra Costa Times to pay for his Berkeley tuition. He was very insistent when my husband said, “No, thank you,” saying it could be considered a donation, and then didn’t my husband want him to attend Berkeley, etc. etc. There were others in the neighborhood who had the same experience.

2 Antler June 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I surely hope you and neighbors call police immediately! Not sure why you opened the door to him in the first place. Just call 911 and give a description of the “agitated salespersons”, people. This sort of situation keeps on appearing on Claycord.

3 That's All Folks! June 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM

That is why I never, and I mean never, open my door to anybody I don’t know. I’ll peek out the window and if I don’t know who it is I won’t answer.

4 Dorothy June 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM

NO SOLICITORS
I DON’T DO ANY BUSINESS AT THE DOOR.
DO NOT WANT YOUR RELIGION.
DO NOT DONATE TO YOUR CHARITY.
NO FREE SAMPLES, HELP, ADVICE, OR SERVICES.
I KNOW HOW TO VOTE.

A sign on my door. Works most of the time.

5 KAD June 29, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I never open my door and finally convinced my husband to stop opening the door. I may or may not talk to them through the door or the window in the guest bedroom.

Friday,someone knocked on the front door and told him I was not buying anything and he informed me that he was not selling anything. I told him that I was not going to open the door and he needed to leave. He left. I watched him, through a bedroom window go on down the street to the next house. There was another guy going down the street on the other side of the street. They were together.

6 Duck June 29, 2014 at 11:55 PM

It must truly suck living in fear of everything out of the ordinary.
Try some Prozac !

7 Mother trucker June 29, 2014 at 11:56 PM

All soliciting should be illegal, people need to get real jobs, tired of these losers. Got one today with a newspaper, said no and closed the door!

8 MeCrazyWoman June 30, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Not answering the door doesn’t help. Last year I was working from home and didn’t answer the door. A few minutes later I had a thug climb into my bedroom window.

9 Hey Crazy Woman June 30, 2014 at 4:20 AM

You are right…not answering the door doesn’t help. It may give the false impression that no one is home. Then it might become an invitation to enter by any means possible. Instead you should answer their knock from behind the closed door. Do exactly as KAD does…Advise them immediatley that you will buy nothing and you will not be opening the door and that they need to leave.

10 dilligafman June 30, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Had one a few weeks ago who took a couple of items off my porch. I contacted
his district rep. and sent him video, also sent to P.D.

11 Connie Dobbs June 30, 2014 at 7:49 AM

If I want to be annoyed by other people and their tedious demands, I’ll go out.

12 Connie Dobbs June 30, 2014 at 7:50 AM

#6 So it’s been working for you?

13 The Mamba June 30, 2014 at 8:04 AM

These people always seem to knock when the baby is down for a nap, and my dogs go ballistic. You want to see aggressive? Knock on my door while the baby is down and my wife will chew you a new one.

14 Oh My June 30, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Yep, he was working Canterbury Village. Should be easy to identify, about 5′ 6″, black shirt with some white design, tattered jeans, worn out tenny’s, short dirty blond hair, but the most distinctive feature was he has a bad eye, his left eye (both blue) would not open completely, could have been an old injury. I will open the door, and behind me are a couple of very big dogs. I love my dogs………bark, bark, bark, bark, bark……….

15 O'Sullivan June 30, 2014 at 8:59 AM

All ye American wankers just hate soccer & ye jerk about the poor lads that love the game & play their hearts out. Ye make me want to puke, the lot of ye. We’d beat the tar out of girly boys like ye o’er here!

16 The Professor June 30, 2014 at 9:13 AM

@ O’Sullivan
I know that the Irish speak with an accent but I never thought they wrote with one too.

17 O'Sullivan June 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I have “The Irish” app in me desktop.

18 Marianne June 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM

We’ve had a few in our neighborhood. We just tell them to go away.

19 OK here is what to do! June 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM

If you knock on someones door with the intent to sell, solicit, advertise, or just ask them about god you need a sales license from the city…

If you go to someones door and do not have this license you are trespassing and can be arrested.

They are most likely on drugs or have a rap sheet!!!

You need to ask yourself what lowlife would do such a job!

The fine is $500 and or 6 months in jail this is a misdemeanor.

Most people who are doing this have no regard for the law or you.

It is best to install surveillance cameras to video tape the perp ie looser and to call the police with a description.

I do not know why but Concord has a lot of these losers.

Also get together with your neighbors especially the older ones ETC..
and form a neighborhood watch.

LETS PUT THESE LOSERS WHERE THEY BELONG BEHIND BARS!!

I hope this helps… Have a great 4th…

20 dilligafman June 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM

TO post # 15- REALLY???

21 Suzanne June 30, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Sad as it is today, we didn’t have this problem in our day. Kids would come around and we would welcome them graciously. Now we have to be so careful because the intent of some solicitors is to rob you. My dogs run to the front door barking at all manor of solicitors.

22 anon June 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM

#19 you’re wrong. It’s been through the Supreme court that religions can go door to door. However if someone is selling something then a license is required.

“It is offensive, not only to the values protected by the First Amendment, but to the very notion of a free society, that in the context of everyday public discourse a citizen must first inform the government of her desire to speak to her neighbors and then obtain a permit to do so.”

If this had passed it would be illegal to go to your neighbor to ask for a cup of sugar unless one had a permit.