UPDATE: Woman, Baby Killed in Head-On Crash in Concord – Five Others with Major Injuries

June 28, 2014 8:40 am · 86 comments

A woman and baby were killed in a head-on crash in Concord on Friday night, police said.

An officer driving east on Willow Pass Road saw the crash at the Kinne Bridge overcrossing adjacent to the former Concord Naval Weapons Station around 11 p.m., according to police.

The officer called for additional units and emergency crews rendered aid to a baby girl, police said.

She was transported to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, according to police.

A woman who may have driven one of the vehicles involved in the crash was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Based on a preliminary investigation, a SUV and large sedan were driving in opposite directions and crashed head-on, police said.

Both vehicles sustained major damage in the collision, according to police.

Five people from both vehicles were transported to hospitals for major injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening, police said.

The identities of the woman and baby have not been released pending notification of their next of kin, according to police.

Willow Pass Road is closed at the Kinne Bridge overcrossing as police investigate the crash. The roadway is expected to reopen around 8 a.m., police said.

Police are looking into whether alcohol was a factor in the collision.

“The Concord Police Department wishes to express its condolences to the friends and families of those who lost their lives in this collision. The Concord Police Department also wishes to express its most sincere gratitude to the citizens who stopped at the scene and assisted with life-saving efforts and traffic control”, police said.

Anyone with information about the collision may contact the Traffic Bureau Investigator, Master Officer Ken Carlson at 925-603-5931 (Reference case number 14-10040).

RELATED STORY: Head-On Crash on Willow Pass Rd. at H-4 in Concord – Possible Fatality Reported

1 So sad June 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Condolences to the family. Such a sad thing to lose the ones you love. May you rest in paradise.

2 Sofa King June 28, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Would it really be so difficult to install a divider on the section of roadway?

3 ANNONeeemoose June 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Incredibly tragic :(

4 jk June 28, 2014 at 8:29 AM

My deepest condolences to the family…how sad to lose two loved ones
in a family. They are with the dear lord now…

5 Sad June 28, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Very sad to hear lives lost especially a baby. Poor family. Condolences to all involved.

6 Anonymous June 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Having been in a head in on that stretch 25 years ago, I share the sentiment that we could afford a divider there. This will happen again..

7 Don June 28, 2014 at 8:38 AM

So tragic. As equally sad is that most accidents are avoidable (distracted driving, tired driving, texting, etc.).

8 Anonymous June 28, 2014 at 8:43 AM

That is so sad ; ( will be praying for the family. I’m just glad its was not us since we were out with our two children on that road last night. Stuff like this is why I usually don’t drive after 9 especially on a Friday. Poor baby and women. I wonder if she was the mother of the baby.

9 gonzo June 28, 2014 at 8:57 AM

heartbreaking. we need to do something about this road

10 NOT ONE MORE! June 28, 2014 at 8:58 AM

NOT ONE MORE DEATH! 40 years ago, my parents used to refer to this stretch of Willow Pass Rd as “Blood Alley.” Nothing’s changed! City Council should be, at this moment, discussing tearing down that bridge, now that the NWS is closed! Enough is enough. Year down the bridge and put in a wider roadway, at least temporarily!

11 NOT ONE MORE! June 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Any word on whether it is Drunk Driving related?

12 Scoob June 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM

My sincere condolences to the victims in this tragedy. May the living recover and those that passed rest in peace. When I was a kid in the 70s we lived at Landana and Willow Pass Rd. Everyone called that stretch of road up to Highway 4 “blood alley,” due to all the deaths over the years there, even back then. Records will show numerous deaths there over the decades. I believe drunks drive back to Pittsburg that way to avoid the CHP on the freeway. I hope the Concord city council members will do their best to ensure the builders that build on Naval Weapons will tear down that bridge and rebuild it wider, widen the road, and install a center divider. This should be a top priority for the project.

13 Shiloh June 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Anonymous #8: you’re just glad it wasn’t you??! How utterly inappropriate. And THIS is why you don’t drive after 9 pm on Fridays? Because you’re worried about head on collisions? Sorry to inform you, but this happens at all times of day and night now – thanks to texting. (Not saying texting was a factor here)

14 Me June 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I hate that stretch of road, always have. Very dangerous. I am so sorry to the family and those hurting right now.

15 @shiloh June 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM

FYI people have had head -ons there way before texting ever existed. Your offense at someone saying they are glad it wasn’t them , well, who hasn’t thought that?

And yes I don’t drive that road at night either, not while PCH is available, but you go ahead.

16 anonymous June 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM

How many deaths/accidents is it going to take for this road to get fixed?!?! I live off landana and willow pass and refuse to use this route to enter the freeway because of how dangerous it is. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED. RIP to the baby girl and woman who lost their lives ;( and my prayers to all the ones injured. May something be done to make this road safer.

17 Cat Lover June 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM

That stretch of road always makes me nervous. Every time I drive it I can’t help but wonder if the on coming car is going to hit me head on. We put a lot of trust and faith in other people’s driving and you never know if it’s going to happen to you. My heart and prayers go out to the family that lost their loved ones.

18 aka June 28, 2014 at 9:54 AM

So very sad. RIP

19 Worst road around June 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Condolences to the family and victims.

This is by far on of the worst stretches of roadway in the county. “Blood Alley” is right. Even during the day, it’s unsafe. High speed (50 MPH +) opposite direction on an elevated, no divider, no shoulder, limited visibility (road has a very high crown, ie rise restricting sight distances); and factor in late at night…it’s no surprise.

This road is a major bypass from downtown Concord to points east. The entire road should be two lanes each direction. Like out by Daugherty Valley development. Those roads are well engineered.

20 Divider? June 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM

How many years has this dangerous stretch of road gone without a divider? Helloooooo career politicians?

21 No Chicken little June 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

The price we pay for the freedom to travel. Don’t want to die on the highway don’t drive, or walk near them. Most of us think it’s worth the risk. The safer it gets the more risk people take. Blood Alley was old hwy 4 between Martinez and West Pittsburg Willow pass grade,

22 anon June 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM

PAY ATTENTION AT ALL TIMES WHEN DRIVING SO YOU DON’T KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE. IT’S THAT SIMPLE.

23 anynonmous June 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I’ve lived in concord all my life and this stretch of roadway has accidents all the time..most crash into the fences….I was coming home last night and seen the wreckage from the accident. It was outrageous too see and I am praying for the families of these families who lost their loved ones.
I concur that they put up a divider. It would make that road a safer for all. That bridge already had a chunk missing coming into concord from another recent accident. ,

24 I'm so sorry June 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I had just driven that road, and right before it happened my husband was coming home with our 13 year old granddaughter. We live very close, and I constantly hear the intense sound of sirens.
I’m on that road sometimes 2 to 3 times a day, and people use it to bypass the freeway but drive like their still on it.
I’ve seen people pass on the the right side which is the wrong side, I’ve seen all kinds of things on that road.
My heart breaks for this family, I’m So Very Sorry.

25 wow June 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM

so very very sad

26 @ #15 June 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM

When two precious lives have been lost, it IS inappropriate to say “I’m glad it wasn’t me” on a feed where the family of the people who were killed are likely to see the comments. There are some things better left to yourself.. you wouldn’t want to read something like that either. Have some compassion.

My condolences to the family of the woman and baby.. I hope they will learn from the loss of your loved ones and put in a divider.. I just wish they had done it before. :(

27 Semper Fi June 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I’m so sorry for them and their family. Brings back awful memories for our family. September 1989 same location but below the bridge going towards Concord. Curve in road Daughter Niece and friend was hit head on. Car coming on wrong side of road. Lots of Surgeries, Healing and heartbreak we lost our first granddaughter in that crash. They did widen that curve but still such a deadly road. Will be praying for them

28 I'm The Urban Spaceman June 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM

#10, Blood Alley was in reference to an undivided section of Highway 4 between 680 and Willow Pass Rd…an apt comparison today is Hwy 12 between Rio Vista and Lodi.

29 Marissa June 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Prayers and condolences, such a sad incident.

30 anonymous June 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Its sad that the city of concord refuses to fix this roadway.They don’t want to spend the money to repair this road. they are waiting to sell it to a developer to built homes and make the developer pay to repair the road to today’s standards. Shame on you city of concord ! how many more people and have to die ?

31 Steph June 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Oh how sad, my condolences to all impacted by this accident.

Has anyone else noticed that the article KTVU posted online is almost idengical to Claycords?

32 Duck June 28, 2014 at 10:52 AM

WOW such a tragedy !
I can’t stand that road , people drive 60 MPH in either direction just feet away from each other , there isn’t much room for mistakes.
Then you throw in drunk and doped up drivers.

My wife has to drive that road from 2:00 AM to 4:00 AM every night work night………..I can’t stand thinking about the dangers of that narrow road and bridge.
A driver really needs to be on their toes and alert while driving that road any time of the day……………even more so in the early AM hours when all the drunks and druggies are on the road.

Godspeed to the woman and child that lost their life and prayers to the injured and family members of each of them.

PEOPLE NEED TO SLOW THE HECK DOWN DRIVING AT NIGHT !!!
REPORT DRUNK DRIVERS BY CALLING 911 !!!!!!!!!

33 Life is too short June 28, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I went to middle and high school with Lorena!! I’m so hurt and sorry that her and her daughters life ended too soon! I’m sick and can’t believe it. All of us will miss you! I hope her family is ok and find justice with the drunken idiot that did this. THis is so unreal. Xoxo RIP, you both will have no trouble getting into heavens gates. God was missing you angels and needed you both.

34 Atticus Thraxx June 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I don’t know to what degree the road contributed, but I can say with confidence it didn’t help.
Utterly heartbreaking. And the people who busted their asses to try and save them….thank you.

35 Wow! June 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I drive blood alley every day. I have no choice but to trust the other drivers.
I live on Lynwood and have heard and seen more crashes than I care to. My deepest condolences go out to everyone involved in last nights tragedy. My heart hurts for you❤️

36 Save the Bridge June 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

If that bridge is sound it should remain. That whole road can be one direction of traffic. Build another road and another bridge next to it for the other direction. Sort of like the Carquinez Bridge, or Hwy 4/Franklin Canyon. I’m no civil engineer but that seems to me to be the most economical approach and it would solve the safety issues. That’s probably the plan anyways.

37 Concordite June 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM

They should install speed reducers and lower the speed limit with enforced radar, warning signs and lighting, since this occurred on the narrow bridge as I believe.
So sad.

38 Cautiously Informed June 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM

@#2 Yes. Something like that might have prevented that horrible tragedy.

We all pay 39.5 cents for each and every gallon of gasoline bought here in California, which is supposed to be used for roadway maintenance and improvement. However, the politicians, in their infinite wisdom, don’t consider roadway safety a priority, so they divert the money elsewhere.

39 New MOTCO development's problem June 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I’m sure they will not put one dollar towards changing that road because they are waiting for the new development to change everything about that area

40 Anon June 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I was in a head on motorcycle accident on this road 35 years ago. A drunk driver crossed the line and changed my life forever. I pray for this family it is so sad. This is a very dangerous road with high speeds and limited lighting and not much has changed since my accident.

41 Horse n around June 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM

And this is why we have DUI check points! So stop all ready with all the comments about the check points being unconstitutional. Drunk drivers kill people!

42 @ Shiloh June 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I agree with you, that was a terrible thing to say wen someone has died.Very self centered AND RUDE. but that is our world today. Me Me Me ALL THAT MATTERS!

43 JJ June 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Dangerous bridge and road! RIP, and god bless the paramedics cops firemen etc who had to witness this horrific site I hope it doesn’t affect them mentally forever. This bridge is old and narrow and needs to be widened. It’s dark and extremely dangerous there’s shrines all over the area from other deaths

44 check the skid marks... June 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM

This will show where the vehicles were in conjunction to being either over the line, on the wrong side of the road, loss of control or sped involvement…. sorry for this to happen…just can’t get it through people’s heads that things will happen when stupidity is not checked…. and I mean stupidity if reckless driving or DUI… the innocent have to suffer.

45 Chronic Halitosis June 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Smart Cars can be programmed to avoid head on collisions,
Smart cars can be programmed to warn you of a child left behind in the car.
Smart Cars can be programmed to not drive if the driver is drunk.
Smart Cars can be programmed to stop the tragedies.
Funny how the answer is so clear yet so unobtainable. Maybe it because our society revolves around the tragedies of others. So many people are either drunk drivers, or leaches themselves,
Smart Cars are already here. Although still in development.
If someone has a more constructive suggestion. I would love to hear it. Fixing all the roads that require skill to use will be too costly Sorry for all those affected by this and any tragedy.
OK Haters take it to the Nth degree. But before you attack…Are you a drunk or a leach? D or L ? Go ahead argue for maintaining the suffering.

46 Anonymous June 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I was just driving on that strech around 10:15 , i take that road almost everynight to get home with my son, we live extremely close. I will no longer be taking this way home, ill take the long way. My deepest condolences to the family of the victims, my prayers are with you!

47 @40 June 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Are you emailing from heaven?

48 First off, do we really know June 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM

if this roadway is Concord’s or is it county or highway? Figure that out first, please.

49 Half full June 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM

A few years back i was traveling across that little bridge. Came upon furniture that had apparently fallen off the back of a vehicle. I had to drive on the wrong side of the road to avoid plowing into furniture. Had only seconds to make a life altering decision. Could have easily been a head on collosion for me. NO PLACE TO GO SAFELY

50 Bill June 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM

@Horse n around, get off your pedestal.. DUI Checkpoints don’t catch Drunks in any Statistical significant numbers!! 1-2 out 400 ISN’T significant. (Statistical significance would typically demand a 20 out of 400 figure or 5% success rate!!) Here comes the Misguided with the “one life saved is worth it”.. It’s not worth it, if we tried to save every life in California we’d spend the entire State’s Budget and still couldn’t do it!! there is a median between Anarchy and Police State — Safety and Freedom — one persons rights and another persons rights, if that balance tilts then we are no better of than before! Say there’s a police checkpoint there and a drunk slams into the last car killing them, are you safer? the vast majority of the time the drunk makes it home without harming anyone!! (Like 200 thousand times more often!) Have more checkpoints, lose billions in productivity, fuel costs, pollution, police costs… Why is it you ask for more DUI checkpoints -vs- more Drunk driving prevention measures?? Ask yourselves why you want to punish people first with a one in 200 thousand chance of danger before you demand prevention measures that could take 50% of drunks off the roads!!

51 Concord Mike June 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned the CNWS development project as the cure for this dangerous road.

52 byteme June 28, 2014 at 3:10 PM

horrible tragedy.
and to bill the statistics professor…. please either lay off the sauce this early in the afternoon, or wait until you are sober to post something. you sound like an idiot.

53 Not the road's fault June 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM

At least one of the drivers was on the wrong side of the road.

54 anonanonagain June 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Very sad indeed. My condolences to the family of the mother and the baby. Two lives cut short too soon. RIP……:(

55 anon June 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM

This stretch of road will eventually have 4 lanes, 2 each direction and a median. Also several stoplights and THOUSANDS of homes on either side.

56 ktop June 28, 2014 at 3:36 PM

We woke up this morning to this story.

I knew it was this patch of the road but wasn’t sure, then it was confirmed. There is a major blind spot until you get to the top of the hill. I don’t encourage anyone to drive there in darkness but it is definitely a place to go slow. The Highway Patrol is ever present so I’m glad they were there to help. If they could somehow level this to a point where you can see over the hill that would be good. You can’t even see headlights.

We will pray for this family to somehow find peace. God Bless.

57 @Bill June 28, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Thank you for making stuff up. Of course you are talking through your hat.

58 waverunner June 28, 2014 at 3:55 PM

There WAS alcohol involved.

59 ranti June 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM

The right of way is owned by the Federal Government, who Owns and runs the PORT CHICAGO MILITARY PROPERTY!They would have to legally get permission from the OBAMA ADMINISTRATION, TO EXPAND THE BRIDGE! According to the latest book From Hillary Clinton, She says that Obama is often not at the tiller, and does not want to be bothered on many important matters!HE JUST WANTS TO PLAY GOLF OFTEN TIMES!

60 Horse n around June 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM

@ Bill. I’ll stay up on my high horse if it keeps me safe from people like you.

61 secret June 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM

her names is lorena dominguez and her 2yr old babygirl klohee lorena was a hair stylest at elgent salon in martinez

62 Save the Bridge June 28, 2014 at 6:30 PM

@61. If your information is correct, that adds another layer of tragedy. Wasn’t that the salon with triple shooting a while back?

63 @47 June 28, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Can you be that stupid go troll somewhere else.

64 lizzie June 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN! But if everyone pays attention while driving they can be avoided. Don’t drive impaired, stay off your phone, turn the radio down or off. This is so sad for all involved.

As I have stated in post before, if everyone would slow down, leave a few minutes early to get to work or appointments, there would not be as many accidents. Too many people wait until the last minute to get where they need to be. I don’t know the circumstances of this accident, but someone was at fault. And it cost 2 lives.

65 slagheap June 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM

every wing nut worse than the last – first statistical Bill, then an apparently insane ” ranti. ” jeeez…

66 Hey Shiloh- June 28, 2014 at 8:31 PM

You are an idiot. These type of accidents to happen more often after 9 pm, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. And now that the selfish, undisciplined teenagers are out of school for the summer, the accident spree goes way up. I know for a fact that high school students like to drag racing along YV. It is not a safe road to drive on late at night.

67 Vandy June 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM

The City of Concord should pony-up and fix this corridor. Don’t put it off to the CNWS development funding. Fix the road with our money, and that will give us a better chance to keep CNWS open space.

68 francisco June 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Please pray for all the families involved. The woman and child did pass away and her husband that was also in the car is in a coma.

69 @Vandy June 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM

get real and pay attention, plans for cnws are already in place.

70 Mar June 28, 2014 at 11:27 PM

All of you who want something done with that road .Send a email or a letter to the City of Concord .Or the City Council. Maybe they might start to think we need to do something .Even though nothing been done for Years . That road has been Blood Alley for a long time .I go around instead using it . Feel so bad for the Family that lose a Mom and a Child .Make you Voice heard ! Before we lose another person .Thanks

71 KAD June 28, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Vandy,
The City of Concord does not have the property yet. It is still owned by the Navy.

72 Bill June 29, 2014 at 12:03 AM

@57 & 60, Read em’ and weep.. I actually went easy on the figures and you still don’t believe!! You have serious problems with reality!! There are 38.3 Million Californians; “1,768 people died in traffic crashes
that were a result of alcohol and other drugs. There were 24,343 traffic-related
injuries involving alcohol.” Let’s be ULTRA GENEROUS at 26K injuries from Drunk driving, (even though well over 50% of those figures are the solo drunk driver) You tell me your chances of being a Drunk Driving statistic?? 26 thousand out of 38.3 million!! Pretty much a zero chance of being harmed by drunk driving!! 1 in 1500 is NOT statistically significant in the least.. I’m sorry you have a problem with reality but you need to deal with that and let everyone live their lives without your ignorant interference!! http://www.adp.ca.gov/factsheets/drivingundertheinfluencestatistics.pdf

73 fam June 29, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Thank you to everyone who has prayed for my niece and cousin for ever in our heart

74 brad June 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM

why dont you ALL shut the %&#! up. and let the familys get through this!!!

75 Anon June 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM

CTJM

76 Really June 29, 2014 at 12:28 PM

RIP sweet angels.

77 Z June 29, 2014 at 5:10 PM

does anyone know the names of the two killed yet?

78 @Z June 29, 2014 at 6:59 PM

The moms name was lorena and the baby girls name was klohee , I know their names because my mom is friends with lorena and they both came to my house .

79 SF City Girl June 29, 2014 at 7:23 PM

My condolences to the family. May the mommy & her baby girl rest in peace.

80 ANNONeeemoose June 29, 2014 at 8:51 PM

When will we know more about what happened? Who was drinking? It seems the reports are saying alcohol involved. So very sad for the family and friends of the deceased ;(

81 @ANNONeeemoose June 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM

It wasnt the people who died who were drinking it might have been the other person because he was on the wrong lane than hit them but the person who was drinking survived..

82 Jim June 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM

For the past year or so, I’ve driven that road every time I go to work. There are three or four places on it that terrify me, and every few days or so I see some insane driver trying to take it at speeds well above the limit. After reading about this most recent accident I’ve decided I won’t be driving it again; there are safer ways to get to Highway 4.

83 Dee July 1, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Lorena was the sweetest person who I met at Elegant Hair Salon—-She TRULY LOVED her baby girl. She did my hair on 6/21 and as always we chatted about life situatuations. God bless both her and baby Klohe- she was her pride & the joy ..may the driver who killed them get his punishment — and hopefully the road will be fixed so nobody else will have to die. My heart aches for all the famines…. RIP angels until we meet again xo

84 ANNONeeemoose July 1, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Anyone who wants to help the family, can click to their gofundme page.

85 Marianne July 1, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Prayers for them, God Speed!

86 oscar July 1, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Yeah she was the mother of the baby she was driving along with her husband I used to work with hiM. Rest In Peace