UPDATE: Overturned Big-Rig, Fuel Spill Blocking I-680 in Walnut Creek

June 26, 2014 8:17 am · 28 comments

treat1

treat2

A big-rig overturned and caused a fuel spill that has blocked all lanes of southbound Interstate Highway 680 in Walnut Creek this morning, a California Highway Patrol officer said.

The crash was reported around 6:35 a.m. involving a big-rig that was traveling north on Highway 680 near North Main Street, CHP Officer Eric Anderson said.

The big-rig overturned and part of the vehicle ended up in the southbound lanes of Highway 680, Anderson said.

The crash and resulting fuel spill have shut down all southbound lanes of the highway as well as the two far left northbound lanes, he said.

The big-rig driver suffered head and neck injuries in the crash, Anderson said. He did not immediately know the extent of the driver’s injuries.

There was no estimate for when the roadway will be reopened, Anderson said. He said motorists are being diverted around the scene onto North Main Street.

Thanks to Michael Wood for the pictures!

{ 28 comments }

1 Fuel or Dirt? June 26, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Eyewitnesses said it was open big rig carrying dirt which is all over the highway

2 judas priest June 26, 2014 at 9:06 AM

yea forget about getting to work !

3 anon June 26, 2014 at 9:12 AM

4 James June 26, 2014 at 9:13 AM

The truck was leaking large amounts of fuel as well. Thank goodness for my motorcycle and lane-splitting. Cutting through downtown WC I was able to get from Concord to Dublin in 40 minutes.

5 Mike Wood June 26, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I took these pics… I also saw an ambulance leaving the scene, lights flashing, as we approached the wreck, so I’m assuming that was the driver of the truck, as we didn’t see any other vehicles involved.

6 jk June 26, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Guess I will be going 24 today…a lot faster than 680…people drive way to fast on 680…no wonder this big rig overturned…glad it was just dirt and not gasoline…hope the driver is not to badly hurt….people need to slow down….

7 @1 June 26, 2014 at 9:33 AM

The “dirt” they’re referring to is probably absorbent used to clean up the fuel.

8 Marie June 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM

It takes me more than 2 hrs to get to work

9 Reality Slap June 26, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Fuel or Dirt?

At 7:10am it was reported by on scene CHP units that diesel was leaking from the big rig.

10 Ian June 26, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Well that sucked!!! 1:45 from Monument to Pleasanton!!!

11 James June 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM

#9

The truck was a dump truck hauling dirt, and it then leaked diesel fuel after the crash.

12 lake June 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Mayor – Interesting – Your last story yesterday was a fast 680 and the first story today the closing of 680….

13 CLAYCORD.com June 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM

@lake, yeah, funny how that worked out.

Mayor

14 Anon June 26, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Why are big rigs and buses in the fast lanes? I may be showing my age, but I recall when I took Drivers Ed that they were to drive in the slower lanes of traffic. I am also not placing blame, there are so many idiots that cut in front of big rigs.

Perhaps Janis the traffic lady can answer this one.

15 Anon June 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Strong smell of diesel when I drove by and could not believe those cutting through the North Main Exit, then not taking the exit, and taking their nice cars over the curb just past the accident to get back on the freeway. I took the exit and went to the YV Entrance in Walnut Creek. Parking lot on 680 and could not get onto the freeway. This was around 7:10 a.m.

16 Laminin June 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM

It’s 10:40am… Can anyone give an update on the traffic on Ygnacio heading from Concord into WC? Don’t know if I can make my appointment…

17 down and out June 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM

anon #3:

“If you are stuck in traffic like this from an accident and just not moving or barely moving , can you use your cell phone and not get a ticket?”

No, but in reality, most likely no cop is going to be able to get to you, due to the traffic jam, and all emergency personnel will be more concerned about the accident.

18 down and out June 26, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I wanted to add that even if you are barely moving, it is dangerous to use your phone, as you may smash into someone. Plus, when I was stopped at a light one time, looking for a paper or something, I didn’t realize my foot was letting off the brake pedal slightly while doing this, thereby lurching the vehicle forward, inch by inch. I caught myself just in the nick of time before smashing into the car ahead of me. So never use your cell phone unless parked, with the car in park.

19 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 26, 2014 at 10:52 AM

more importantly, what about the noise from the helicopters that is upsetting some of the readers? isnt that the real issue here?

When a serious accident happens on a major traffic artery that impacts thousands, I’d think we should redirect our entire focus to the news helicopters that inconvenience a few cranky readers.

20 @Laminin June 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM

It took me 50 minutes to get from Ayers/Ygnacio to the Civic Drive intersection. I turned into downtown Walnut Creek from there, so I am not sure how much longer it would take to get to the Fwy. Hope that helps.

21 Don P - N. Concord June 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM

My 10 min commute took 1 hour 20 min today! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

22 Krispy Innards June 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Any more updates>>>>?

23 NRA #1 fan and member June 26, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Did the accident impact the Antioch commuters? I heard they can’t get out of the “Yock” if they leave after 6AM due to traffic not moving so they have to ALL leave at 5 and jam the roads up.

Antioch = the new Oakland

24 Anon June 26, 2014 at 11:51 AM

CHP : Residual delays on I-680 S SouthBound at N Main St (Walnut Creek) All lanes open Expect delays
Start Time/Date: 06/26/14 6:46 am

I-680 S
From: N MAIN ST To: CA-24 W
City: Walnut Creek
Current Avg. Speed: 24 MPH Typical Speed: 63 MPH
Speed Limit: 65

25 Kelly Anne June 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I left concord shortly after 7:00 a.m. Got to San Ramon about 10:00. Been here 20 yrs & today was my worst commute. Felt like I was in L.A.

26 Motorcycles rule June 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Haha took me like 10 minutes to slide on through on my bike . Just got to love lane splitting. I have never been late to work one time since i got my bike,,,hahahahaha to all who had to sit there for hours

27 DoubleTap June 26, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Sig Alert saved my rear. I checked it heading toward the freeway, it said 1:45 min delay. I took Detroit and headed the back way through Nut creek and arrived in San Ramon 45min. later. I love that app.

28 me June 26, 2014 at 8:21 PM

big rig = +/- 80,000 pounds, average passenger car = 3,500 pounds. if you have ever felt the force of being hit by one and survive you know what I’m talking about.
50% of all big rig accidents involve a fatality. 90% of those are the in the passenger car involved.
think about this next time you cut in front of one. even if you really need to get 2 cars ahead of the spot you left. every body gasses it to get in front of the rigs. the smartest thing to do is get away from them.
dead isn’t ever on time.