UPDATE: BEWARE! Clayton Police Warn Residents of Phone Scammers

June 26, 2014 · 11 comments

Recently, Claycord.com posted a story from the Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff (CCCOS) regarding scammers who are calling people over the phone, saying there is a warrant out for the person’s arrest, and they must pay a fine.

Today, we got a message from the Clayton Police, who say it’s been happening in their city, too.

Clayton Police Chief Chris Thorsen says his office has received reports from several people who have answered similar calls in the last several days. Most of the time the caller states they are from a law enforcement agency, most recently the Placer County Sheriff’s Office. He says scammers are also claiming to be from PG&E and other utility companies.

Chief Thorsen says often the caller will leave a call back number, but says their investigation shows the call-back number is linked to a disposable cell phone, which is untraceable.

This makes it difficult, if not impossible for them to follow-up on the cases.

Clayton Police have have received at least ten calls in the last two days advising them of this scam.

Always remember, no legitimate company or law enforcement agency will ask you to remit payment using a gift card or similar form of payment. These are scammers attempting to take advantage of our community. Please hang up, and report any suspicious calls to your local law enforcement agency.

1 Simple Simon June 26, 2014 at 12:23 PM

It’s simple. If you get a phone call that is suspicious. Hang up and call the Company they say they are from. Never call back the number they give.
Everyone is out to get you!

2 Iron Maiden June 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM

The paranoia patrol is out.

3 PHILTHYphresh June 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM

The second oldest trick in the book.
Trick #2
Giveth me some of your money.
So endeth the trick.

4 no handle June 26, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Time to make those stupid greendot cards available for purchase from your local police dept. only. Pay a fine with a gift card ? Stupid is a stupid does.

5 Mother Trucker June 26, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I keep getting calls, from Iranians about my windows computer wanting me to let them into it so they can fix it, called best buy and they said it was a scam.
Reaching my breaking point with them!

6 huey9k June 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Had someone call me up and tell me there was a warrant for my arrest. I laughed, told him to come and get me, called him all sorts of names and hung up. My buddy then dared me to call ConPD to check if actually had a warrant. Thankfully, ConPD is not interested in me…

yet.

(cue ominous music.)

7 anon June 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM

oh good. come get me. i need 3 meals a day and my own room.

8 Chilling Penguin June 26, 2014 at 6:57 PM

@ Mother Trucker, yeah I got those too. It’s especially funny when the computer is off and they tell me they can see stuff happening. Last time I pretended I knew absolutely nothing, then half way through they switch people cuz the voices changed. The probably thought I would not notice! I also got called by a scammer saying that I owed the IRS, the guy claimed his name was Mike Davis, I have never heard of a Mike Davis with an Middle Eastern accent. The funny thing was the caller ID said YMAX Comms Corp and the number was 585-633-1814. If they are going to pull scams, they should pay more attention to detail….

9 LalaPopp June 26, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I got one too. They left a message on my cell saying they have warrant for my arrest (mind you they never stated their name or company) & that they will be showing up at either my house or place of employment and if I want more info to call them back in San Diego. What the heck? I’m a married booster club mom of 4 kids for goodness sales.

10 Wow! June 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I received a call from a man that sounded like he was from India. The man said my computer had a virus and he wanted to walk me through certain steps to repair it. I wasn’t born yesterday you lug nuts!

11 Emily June 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Beware of the pg&e scammers they are untraceable and actually got the lady I work for for $1500 and she did not know anything about these scammers the bank or anyone could not trace to find this money it is completely gone.