I-680 in Walnut Creek Shut Down Due to Large Fuel Spill

June 26, 2014 · 10 comments

Southbound I-680 in Walnut Creek has been shut down at Treat Blvd. due to a large fuel spill.

A big-rig, which was involved in a collision, is leaking fuel, according to the CHP.

The CHP says ALL NB lanes are now closed and two lanes of SB I-680 are also closed.

1 JL June 26, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Accident happened right in front of me. Truck jumped over the median and rolled over. Several other cars involved. Cement and truck parts everywhere. Very scary

2 Irony June 26, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Ironic this story is following the story posted before regarding the new traffic lanes that are supposed to ease the commute to San Ramon. Some things you just can’t control!!!

3 Dr. Jellyfinger® June 26, 2014 at 7:43 AM
4 Jojo Potato June 26, 2014 at 7:52 AM

That would explain the helicopter overhead near Treat and Cherry Lane. Please take your noise and go away.

5 Anonymous June 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM

It’s actually all SB lanes are blocked and two NB lanes are blocked. Looking at CHP traffic page. News had it reversed earlier. Either way…it’s a mess. SB backed up to HWY 4. Traffic being diverted off onto N. Main for SB 680 folks. Contra Costa Blvd. is also backed up now. NB is backed up to S. Main.

6 Anon June 26, 2014 at 8:16 AM

This is awful. When I went through all southbound lanes were shut down. It took me about an hour to get from Treat to North Main. I hope everyone involved is ok!!!

7 Charles-the-cat June 26, 2014 at 9:10 AM

@Jojo Potato: Call the FAA and let them know the News helicopters are too loud and low. Be sure they understand that it’s the news copters that are bothering you rather than legitimate police and ambulance. Get your neighbors to do the same thing. I don’t have the number handy but may be digging it out later.

The noise really is out of control and I counted 5 helicopters flying over the neighborhoods near Treat while I was out on the Iron Horse trail this morning. The news copters are hovering over peoples houses because they’ve probably been told to keep away from the accident site.

Grr. This was my one morning to sleep in. Finished a major ass-busting project yesterday and the family comes home from vacation tonight. Since it was such a nice cool evening I had the bedroom windows open.

8 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM

why did they do this?

9 REALLY?? June 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Seriously? You are going complain about the noise? I bet this truck driver (that is reported to have head & neck injuries) and his family wished that was their only concern this morning. GET OVER YOURSELF!! Not to mention the thousands of people that are trying to get to work.

10 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM

you old cranks complaining about the noise…self absorbed much? you know there are a lot of people affected by this that need to know what is going on. Maybe you should focus on telling the kids to get off your lawn.