All Lanes of I-680 in Walnut Creek Reopen After Big-Rig Crash, Fuel Spill

June 26, 2014 · 15 comments

race-m

All lanes of Interstate 680 have reopened after a crash involving an overturned big-rig blocked lanes on both sides of the interstate and snarled traffic for several hours this morning.

The crash was reported around 6:35 a.m. on I-680 near North Main Street and jammed morning commute traffic in the area, according to the CHP.

All lanes reopened around 11:15 a.m. after crews removed the big-rig and debris from the roadway and made repairs to the center divider, CHP officials said.

The collision occurred after a Toyota Sienna minivan traveling north apparently got cut off and swerved to avoid a collision, spun out and ended up facing south, CHP spokesman Officer John Fransen said.

A big-rig carrying dirt swerved to avoid the Toyota but struck it, then continued through the concrete center dividing wall and overturned in the southbound lanes of the interstate, causing damage to five cars that were traveling south, Fransen said.

Dirt and diesel fuel spilled out of the truck and onto the roadway, he said.

The male driver of the big-rig and female driver of the Toyota were taken to a hospital with minor injuries, Fransen said.

The crash and spill initially blocked all southbound lanes and the two northbound lanes of I-680.

CHP officials are asking anyone who may have witnessed what led to the crash to call their Contra Costa office at (925) 646-4980.

Thanks to “race m” for the picture!

RELATED STORY: UPDATE w/PICTURES: Overturned Big-Rig, Fuel Spill Blocking I-680 in Walnut Creek

1 That's All Folks! June 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM

They escaped with minor injuries, that’s good news.

2 Anonymous June 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Amazing no one died.

3 Jerk June 26, 2014 at 12:36 PM

No turn signals, swerving to avoid selfish ignorant clueless fools doing unsafe lane changes.
Yeah whatever. What a joke
And the other joke: Living too damn far from where you work. What’s your limit?
30 miles? 50 miles? 100 miles?

4 mollycat June 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Well, at least the cutter-offer got to work on time…I hope.

What a jerkface.

5 anony June 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM

LOTS OF LUCKY PEOPLE TODAY

6 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM

more importantly, what about the noise from the helicopters that is upsetting some of the readers? isnt that the real issue here?

When a serious accident happens on a major traffic artery that impacts thousands, I’d think we should redirect our entire focus to the news helicopters that inconvenience a few cranky readers.

7 J. June 26, 2014 at 1:19 PM

That MACK truck really did a number on the concrete center divider.

8 Antioch Section 8 guy June 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Took me 3 hours to get to San Francisco and I used Kirker Pass

9 An Unmarried Man June 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM

All this mess because some a-hole decided to switch lanes without signaling, causing multiple accidents along the way. There is a reason why i don’t drive in the very fast lanes. Drivers on 680 suck

10 anon June 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM

#8 – It didn’t occur to you to turn around and go home?

11 I just had to pee June 26, 2014 at 6:58 PM

For some silly reason, I was pulled over by a Concord police officer for legally exiting the freeway during the traffic madness. I was going southbound on 242, getting off at monument b/c I really had to pee when an officer got on his bullhorn, lit his lights and demanded I get back on the freeway. He then proceeded to pull me over with the explanation “we’re all in the same boat”… “would you like me to pee on the freeway then?” when I asked for his badge number, he slammed my car door and stormed off.

12 Antler June 26, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Please, may we have an update on the truck driver’s condition….if the hospital will release that information. It is difficult to mesh that he had “head and neck injuries” with the other phrase, “minor injuries”. Thank you, Mayor.

And yes, though I am not a “Karma” believer, I agree that it was a sheer miracle ….. or an exquisite scientific accident…. that these collisions did not result in multiple deaths.

13 Atticus Thraxx June 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Orrrrrrrrr…..the women made up story because she faded into a lane doing:
A.) Makeup
B.) Hair
C.) Eating
D.)Cell phone stuff

14 Cautiously Informed June 26, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I hope the person responsible is made to pay for all damages and medical costs.

15 Mimi (original) June 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM

With all the side streets jammed it took me 45 minutes to get from Clayton to the fwy at 10 am!,