PICTURE: Woman Hospitalized After Crash Down Embankment

June 25, 2014 16:20 pm · 25 comments

crash

A woman was hospitalized after her car crashed down a steep embankment in Martinez this morning, a Contra Costa County Fire Protection District captain said.

The solo crash occurred around 8:15 a.m. at the intersection of Morello Avenue and Arnold Drive near state Highway 4, according to Capt. Kent Kirby.

Kirby said the woman apparently lost control of her car and went off of the roadway and down a 15-foot embankment. The vehicle became wedged against a building, trapping her inside.

Fire engine crews and emergency medical personnel were called to the scene to extract the woman from the car.

Since the woman complained of neck and back pain, crews took extra precaution and placed her in a splint due to the risk of a neck or back fracture. She was then carried up the steep slope with ropes and ladders, Kirby said.

The woman was taken to a hospital with minor injuries, he said.

photo credit: Contra Costa County Fire Protection District – @ContraCostaFire

{ 25 comments }

1 Chernobyl June 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM

On tonight’s episode of Don’t Text and Drive…

2 " I'll have to Call you Back...... June 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM

….I just Drove Down an Embankment..!!”

3 Shoulder shrug June 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM

How the F does something like that happen if your not doing something you shouldnt be? Did the road all of a sudden move itself which threw her off of it?

4 That one guy June 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Still parks better than my wife!

5 Horse n around June 25, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I don’t know but, wouldn’t it have been easier to take her down the slope?

6 anonanonagain June 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Hopefully she will be alright. I always wonder if people are paying more attention to their cell phones rather than the road. I’m not trying to jump to conclusions, but today on the roads I saw so many people glued to their laps or trying to text while on the freeway or busy roads. Too stupid for words…..

7 Michelle June 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM

lol, hope she’s ok. I just missed this on my way to work this morning.

8 SKS June 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Just think…. these idiots share the road with you and me.

9 Marianne June 25, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Cell phone rage! Stop texting and driving.

10 concord June 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Pretty tough to get into an accident there; maybe driver fell asleep.

11 Ouch June 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM

When I was a child, my mother was involved in an accident in Walnut Creek. I was 8 years old, in the passenger seat, and (fortunately) only suffered a not-too-serious head injury. This was over 30 years ago, and to this day, she cannot forgive herself. This is a dedicated mother and Sunday School teacher who did not smoke or drink. She simply made a mistake. How do you think she (and I) would have felt to see comment after comment from a bunch of yahoos making uneducated guesses about what she must have done wrong, and suggesting she was an idiot? Sad.

12 @ Ouch June 25, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Some comments here may have rushed to judgement, however if it is found that this woman WAS using her cell phone, texting or doing something to not only jeopardize herself and others on the road, she deserves people’s scorn. As we all know, there are many more distractions while driving than there was 30 years ago. I’m certain your mother wasn’t texting……

13 Dearest Ouch June 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Yo dumbarse. You dunno whatcha talkin bout. It’s obvious this idiot was texting. She puts you, me and everyone else at danger of dying because she is stupid and texts and drives. If she ran over and killed a child because she was texting her nail color to her idiot friend then what?

Ouch, you Sir are a disgrace. Check yourself into a looney bin.

14 Marissa June 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

What a Moron…

15 nee June 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Let’s find out why it happened first it could have been a medical problem.

16 MeCrazyWoman June 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Wow a lot of nasty comments. Hope this lady is okay.

17 hope June 25, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Why didn’t they just walk her the few feet down into the parking lot?

18 EILEEN MURRAY June 25, 2014 at 11:06 PM

The then Martinez police chief went off here did the same thing at one point. Hope she is okay.

19 Dr. Jellyfinger® June 25, 2014 at 11:10 PM

If I listened to my GPS I’d be upside down in the CC Canal right now. I can’t wait until they make those robot cars that do the driving for us!

20 Ouch June 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Thank you, Mayor, for the work you do. It’s obvious that you dedicate a great deal of time and energy to serve the residents of this area. It’s a shame you’re unable to attract a greater number of kind and caring people. Keep it up, and perhaps the situation will improve.

21 Silva June 26, 2014 at 7:38 AM

I once had a seizure while driving and crashed into a front porch. Luckily no one was hurt and yes, I lost my driving privilege for 3 years. THAT’S an example of what else could happen other than she’s a dumb a$$. Dumb a$$.

22 Joe June 26, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Hope she is banned driving for life!

23 Cautiously Informed June 26, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Woman driver causes massive accident on 680. Woman driver runs off road, slides down embankment and crashes car near Morello ave. Is there a pattern here?

24 Cal Old Blue June 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Just looked at Google maps…. she did NOT drive off a roadway. The car appears to be lodged against a building in the parking lot behind Quiznos. The embankment it went down is from ANOTHER PARKING LOT where a number of offices are located.

25 Mimi (original) June 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Glad I passed by there before this happened!