Man Stabbed While Trying to Subdue Walnut Creek Burglary Suspect – Arrest Made by WCPD

June 24, 2014 8:00 am · 54 comments

wcpd

A Walnut Creek man who was on parole for burglary was arrested after allegedly committing another burglary and stabbing the man who tried to capture him, according to the Walnut Creek Police Department.

On Monday just before 7:30pm, police say 51-year-old James Murdaugh had just committed a residential burglary, and while he was trying to flee the victim residence at the Boulders Apartment complex on Civic Dr., he was confronted by a neighbor. The citizen was able to physically subdue the suspect until officers arrived and took him into custody. During the altercation, the suspect stabbed the citizen in the leg with a screwdriver, police said. A passerby came upon the scene and called 911.

The citizen suffered minor injuries and declined medical treatment at the scene. The victims of the residential burglary were not at home at the time of burglary.

Murdaugh was arrested and transported by ambulance to a local hospital for medical treatment prior to being booked at the Martinez Detention Facility for burglary, assault with a deadly weapon and a parole violation.

{ 54 comments }

1 Anonymous June 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM

51 years old and still stealing from other people.

LOSER. What a failure in life.

2 WC June 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Looser with a capital L. I wish the citizen would’ve stabbed this POS in the eye with that screwdriver. Good job citizen and WC PD.

3 Good catch... June 24, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Glad he was caught and the neighbor was only
slightly injured.
Mr. Mayor, there were two police chases in
Concord in the last two days, last nights resulted
in a crash near Chilis, can we get details on
these incidents?

4 jrconcord June 24, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Daddy?
Lol. he’s not Hispanic, he’s not black, he lives in Walnut Creek. let’s see what kind of hateful comments we can come up for this guy.

5 Killjoy June 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM

First it was hammers. Now screwdrivers. That’s it! Ban anything that can be used as a weapon!

How many strikes does this turd have against him? He will be charged with burglary, but I think the bigger charge is now going to be the assault charge. Perhaps with a deadly weapon? Intent to do bodily harm?
He will be out in three days on bail. Probably only do six months time in jail. If that much.

6 Dr. Jellyfinger® June 24, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Looks like Mr. Clean has fallen on hard times.

7 Mr. Clean has turned to a life of crime? June 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Doesn’t he look like the guy on the Mr. Clean bottle? Anyway, good job brave neighbor and WCPD!!!!

8 I'm just saying.... June 24, 2014 at 8:41 AM

A criminal’s life must be a hard life as this guy does not look 51…he looks at least 30 years older. Some of my relatives are 80 years old and they even look better than this guy.

9 landon alger June 24, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Damn killjoy you a little bitter man?? Great job neighbor!! Youre neighbor owes you dinner now!!

10 Anonymous June 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Ah, this fool isn’t going anywhere . He’s on parole,,which means there is a parole hold on him. Sits in jail until they sort out these charges. Looks like this is at least the second strike for him and hopefully the third. Long time in the stony lonesome.

11 PO'd June 24, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Mr. Clean is likely an early release (AB109) doing what he does. Hopefully by stabbing the victim he goes away for a long time-but, I doubt it. I definitely would have unloaded my shotgun in this worthless POS.

12 Mrclean June 24, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I was at john Muir yesterday I saw this dork sleeping in the room with security guard watching him, then the cops came and took him away

13 anon June 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Good job by the neighbor & passerby. Hope the homeowner was appreciative. Hope Mr Clean gets locked up for a good long while.

14 Sis Boom Bah June 24, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Another “and a parole violation”.

Repeat offenders should be quarantined to a prison commune in the Mojave.

15 Buster June 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM

For sure this POS will sue the guy that got stabbed and win!

16 Trigger June 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM

The revolving door of criminal opportunity……
When released, make sure he’s let go in one of the gated communities where our elected representatives live.

17 dilligafman June 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM

One more POS off the streets!!

18 Patricia June 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Yet another reminder of how WC has gone down the tubes….. so glad I moved out of that town years ago! Its totally changed.

19 Michelle June 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

The picture of complete failure. When you have to steal to get what you want, you need to rethink your life and life choices. Well done WC PD!

20 Anonymous June 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM

51? 51?! Holy cow! Shouldn’t he know better by now?! This is the kind of crap you expect from stupid little teenagers and young “adults”. Never ceases to amaze me that losers like this actually MAKE it to 51. No matter what happens, looks like we taxpayers will end up having supported this loser for his entire lifetime.

21 Reality Slap June 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Wishing more and more that we need to eliminate repeat offenders….oh, if only we could.

22 @#5 June 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM

That’s funny. Sadly, that’s the parolee look. Great job by the citizen. Dangerous, but more people need to start fighting back.

23 commoncents June 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Wow – is he from “over the hill?” (wink-wink)

@3 – commenters will say he’s just “misunderstood,” and “lost his way.”

24 Mr. Pink June 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Hope he fell down once or twice on his way to the squad car.

25 Bill June 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Yeah, awesome Mr. Pink.. All we need is a million dollar lawsuit for Police Brutality!! Do you think before you snark??

26 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM

just another obama voter. No surprise.

27 Charles-the-cat June 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Ah, the summer burglary season begins. I’m not an expert in burglary by any means but breaking into an apartment at 7:30 on a summer evening is stunningly stupid. It’s still light, construction/trade workers left before 5, people are getting home from work, taking the dog out for a walk, hanging out on the patio…basically, it’s the time you’re most likely to be noticed by other people.

28 WC Resident June 24, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Another reason yet to invest in a good glock. too bad someone didn’t take this ahole out for good before the cops arrived.

Save us tax payers some money!!! Shoot at these creeps!!!!

29 anonanonagain June 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM

@ Patricia, it seems that almost anywhere these days has more criminals lurking about. Unless you move to the rural plains of Wyoming. Prisons these days are nothing more than a holiday camp for these jokers…..

30 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM

more importantly, was anyone offended during the commission of this crime? that is what the libs want to know.

31 Ricardoh June 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Hats off to the neighbor. Somebody buy that guy a beer.

32 Clasping Forehead June 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM

#12,
Try re-reading the article. And stop making stuff up, troll.

33 ConcordMike June 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Has he been re-re-re-re-re-released yet?

34 Clasping Forehead June 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM

#12,
Sorry! I was the one who needed to re-read the article. I missed the part about the police “physically subdued” the suspect. Good deal, police!

35 @ Patricia June 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Walnut Creek is not to blame for trash that decides to come in and reside there. Creeps are everywhere, we just happen to view a daily blog of crime, it goes on in every city. Sorry you can’t afford Walnut Creek, so you bring it down.

36 Nurse Rachett June 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I don’t like the idea of John Muir Hospital having Criminals in the next room.
There should be a special Hospital Dentention facilty by the Jail for inmates and parolees that takes Obamacare.

37 @#12 June 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I hope they didn’t really leave a security guard watching a parolee who just stabbed someone. That doesn’t sound likely.

38 JW June 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I wonder if the homeowner had killed the guy, if the criminal’s family would have come out and said: “He was just turning his life around.” Or, “He was such a great loving father to his (fill in the blank) year old child.” “He was just getting ready to go back to school to study (fill in the blank.)

39 @#39 June 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM

You forgot “Aspiring Rapper”…

40 Guap June 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Funny: He looks like a cop!

41 Fed up June 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Bizzaro world. The stabbed citizen refuses medical treatment and the criminal goes by ambulance to the hospital for medical treatment. I am sure he paid the bill for that (sarcasm). Where in Walnut Creek does the parolee live? I have a feeling he is in subsidized housing paid by the taxpayers but either way the neighbors should be warned.

42 Don't be suprised June 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I am not too suprised that 50 + year olds are running around pretending to be wannabe gang bangers and future rappers. I once saw some middle aged troll of Concord riding a bmx bike which was more suited for 12 year olds. No doubt that he probably stole that from a child. I see this fools try and do drag racing down Willow Pass all the time during the evenings.

But the worst are those old farts who insist on getting new tatoos for parts of their bodies that nobody should bare witness to. Scary…

43 Don't be suprised June 24, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I am guessing this criminal also has a rose tatooed to one of his butt cheeks….

44 Atticus Thraxx June 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

It’s not what he does that offends me. It’s that he doesn’t do it well. By 51 you should be an expert in your chosen field.

45 Murdaugh looks like a rugged guy June 24, 2014 at 5:53 PM

The neighbor must have been one baad dude….or Murdaugh is just a Pueking Sissy. Either way, he gonna be changing his name to Eileen Dover when he gets to prison….

46 Dudebro June 24, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Out on the street they call it Murdaugh. Sorry, couldnt resist.

47 anonymous June 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM

This guy is actually my cousin….though, because of how he lives his life, I don’t associate with him. He has spent the better part of 30 years in prison. Guess he’s headed back, but that’s where he belongs.

48 concord June 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Ghee, senior citizen burglars! What’s the world coming to!

49 Yhe Phantom June 24, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire?

Try stupid, plain, and boring…

Why are you hiding over here you sweet little thing?

Afraid of Yhe Phantom?

And he does not look like a Democratic Party Obama Voter to me.

50 94598 June 24, 2014 at 9:33 PM

OMG!!! This looks like the guy that broke into my work van and cleaned me out a coupe years ago!!

He stole about $3,000.00 dollars worth of building materials. I haven’t parked outside since then. I have a clean black and white video of him from my surveillance cameras.

51 94598 June 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Any additional info on police report? My guy was approx 6′ tall and smoked- yes he stopped to smoke a cigarette in my driveway in between hauling loads of my stuff away. Im gonna contact WC PD tomorrow- I have a feeling they won’t give a crap though.

52 anonymous June 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

He’s pretty short, not near 6 ‘

53 GoodNeighbor June 25, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Glad the neighbor was able to subdue him. Very brave neighbor. This crook is a nuisance. I am so glad he was caught.

54 anon June 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM

My first guess was that his name was ‘James’ or ‘Jason’. ‘James’ usually more evil and ‘Jasons’ are usually more stupid (just the criminals).