Woman Parks on Train Tracks, Leaves Vehicle Near Martinez AMTRAK Station

June 23, 2014 8:00 am · 54 comments

tracks

NEVER PARK ON THE TRACKS!

This story comes from our friend “Martinez Bee”, who shot the photo over the weekend near the Martinez AMTRAK station.

I was coming out of the Marina in downtown Martinez and had to wait for a freight train. I was behind this car. As she was crossing the tracks in front of me she veered off and parked, right on the tracks! As I drove by she got out and I was a little confused. I pulled up and parked and got out to look. She parked right against a wall, got out, went in the back seat and got a sign. She then, with her car still half on the tracks, grabbed the sign from the back seat and walked over and put it up where you see.

Car on the tracks the whole time.

I decided to take a photo, because I could not believe it. Those tracks are actively used by trains dozens of times a day.

I have no clue what she was thinking, and I am not here to trash her. Only to remind people to never stop, or especially park, on railroad Tracks. EVER!

She was not injured and hopefully will see this so next time she will be more careful. This could cause a derailment of a freight train even. And they carry all kinds of things, including oil and gas. Not to mention if she had to get out of there she would have had to back out, then pull out. It could have been a very bad situation.

We recently have had two deaths in Martinez from trains. We need to take them seriously, because it takes a train a long way to stop. And we have all seen what a train does to a car that is on the tracks when it hit it. Not good.

Thanks, “Martinez Bee”, and thanks for the great information!

{ 54 comments }

1 anon June 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM

“Food Truck Mafia?”

2 Cynthia June 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer………..

3 Blink June 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Hope they have more sense in food prep…yikes

4 The Closer June 23, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Natural selection at its best.

5 Stupid June 23, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I would have and will say to her, you are,
STUPID!

6 NoMoreFreeRide June 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Brain Dead!

7 WC Resident June 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Amazing!

8 How lazy can you be? June 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM

So, she endangered everyone in the immediate vicinity due to possible train derailment, because she was too lazy to park further away…someone should recognize her, she should be cited to the full extent of the law.

9 jtkatec June 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Geez, Mr. Auto Insurer, I just left my car on the tracks for a second. How was I supposed to know a train was coming and would total out my car and then cause a derailment.

What?!!! You’re not going to defend me in the lawsuit and you’re going to cancel my auto policy!!!! Whhhhyyyyyy???

10 Hmmmm June 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Well she is from the Food Truck Mafia so she must think she’s untouchable… Lol I crack myself up.

11 Anon June 23, 2014 at 9:42 AM

“don’t tell me where I can park, MF!” – woman in picture

12 Marcus Gomez June 23, 2014 at 9:43 AM

She should be easy to locate. She obviously latina and drives a late model Honda Accord. And of course she’s not that intelligent. She works for a Taco truck. She should be cited for this. Because she clearly has done this before.

13 kristina June 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Maybe you should give food truck mafia a call and let them know that this woman is a walking liability and if she would have gotten hurt food truck mafia would have been paying that bill.

14 StoneyGRL June 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM

what an idiot!!!!!!!!! someone ought to let her know !!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I wish stupidity was painful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 Chester E. Kitty June 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I really wish Martinez Bee would have said something to her. This woman is absolutely STUPID!! At any rate, we should call the company that she put the sign out for. Looks like she is advertising food trucks at the Marina. I think I will put in a call to the city of Martinez … maybe all the food trucks should be kicked out of the marina … just saying ….

16 Captain Bebops June 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM

That’s the way so many people are these days, no thinking just do whatever works. I see it all the time.

17 The way to convince someone is explain it nicely June 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Likely, she did not understand the potential consequences and danger, or she would not have parked there.

Explaining it so she will understand will be the best way to convince her to park somewhere else next time.

There is a saying that says, “You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.” In other words, the most persuasive way to get her to change is to make it attractive to change.

Dear woman, you probably didn’t realize it, but you parked on a train track, and trains drive over it several times a day. Those trains are carrying dangerous, explosive things often, and they are so big and heavy, it is really difficult form them to stop if they come across something on the track, so if a train came through while your car was there, they would likely apply the brakes so hard to try to avoid hitting it (which is nearly impossible for them to avoid) that the train would crash, either by derailing and going off the track, or by hitting the car, or both, and there would quite possibly be a big explosion or fire, and people would quite likely be killed or seriously injured.

Please make sure that you don’t every park even close to the railroad tracks…even if it is just for a second and you keep your car running. By the time you hear a train, it will be too late for you to move the car before they start the braking process, and people will be injured, or killed, and the train will go off the track, and no more trains will be able to go through, and cars won’t be able to drive through, and the costs could be millions of dollars!

Be sure you never do that again – and keep you and everyone else safe!

18 anon June 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Selling food good enough to die for.

19 anon June 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

No need for the poster of this msg. to trash the woman. Some Claycordians can take sufficient care of that.

20 Cowellian June 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM

At least they didn’t park the food truck on the tracks.

21 Grateful Dead June 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Caution (Do Not Stop On The Tracks)

22 mb June 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM

After I saw here pull over , wondering what she was doing, I was by her by the time she parked. I went slow up Ferry and looked in my rear view mirror and she was still there? I slowed and stopped in a parking spot. I looked and saw her already pulling a sign out of the back seat. I took the photo on full zoom from about a half block away. 150 feet or so away. Then saw what she was doing, she was putting up a sign. But her car was on the tracks. I couldn’t believe it. I got out of my truck and was going to yell at her but was too far away. I thought about walking up to her, but then thought, it would probably create a situation if I confronted her, and even delay her mission of putting up her sign and leaving the tracks. So I just took a photo and shook my head. Chris

23 Rock N Roll Trio June 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM

The Train Kept a Rollin’

24 Junior Parker June 23, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Mystery Train
on real vinyl

25 Mikey June 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Nice buns =)

26 Reality Slap June 23, 2014 at 11:52 AM

First thing that came to mind “You can’t fix stupid”.

27 I hope the Martinez Police have been informed June 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM

and plan a discussion with the Mafia Food Truck operator.

28 Chris June 23, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Stupid is as stupid does. Is it just me or have others noticed a general lack of caring by people? Like a complete disregard for others that in generations past usually wouldn’t of been tolerated? OMG

29 Raider4Life June 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Funny part about this is that there are dozens of parking spaces right there. If she turned into the parking lot after that sign she could of had a “normal parking space”. What a straight Doe-Doe!

30 Mom of the Horde June 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Amtrak uses those tracks too… and that have at least 34 trains/day

31 Rocks June 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Call the police. They will certainly take care of the situation.
I think that this would warrant a call to 911. It’s not an emergency YET but when the train arrives it will be.

32 Terri June 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Send the pic to Food Truck Mafia, make sure they’re aware of their employees’ dingbat behavior!

33 Mom of the Horde June 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Correction to my original comment. Amtrak has 44 trains that go through Martinez station, on 4 different lines. I think those tracks shes parked on are the ones Amtrak uses rather than ones BNSF uses.

34 Y ME June 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Is there a program in California if your van gets smashed by a train?

35 ? June 23, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Parked on tracks for what 90 to 150 seconds and probably left the engine running. Visibility both East and West in that location is good, yes?

And ….. Mikey, Mikey, Mikey, Hmmm, we just can’t take you anywhere.

36 mb June 23, 2014 at 1:38 PM

It is the track closest to the Amtrak station loading platform. So you are probably right mom. I am not sure though, there is a switching station? Near by, and who knows what track a train may or may not use at any given time. Not a train expert. But know enough to not park on a train track.. Even driving across them you should slow a bit and look both ways. What I was taught anyway. Lights and guard rails do malfunction sometimes, a fact most people are unaware of, and get hit by a train… They do go by there I would guess 40 mph? Amtrak slows, but at that point can be going up to 40 I would guess, or 30 mph, They can actually stop and go quicker obviously than a heavy long freight train, which can take a mile to stop safely sometimes.. Amtrak on the other hand is almost like BART, they can get up and go, zero to whatever in no time..

37 mb June 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I should add up the track a bit, 1/4 mile, is a turn. So a Amtrak would have seen the car with only a short time to come to a full stop. Not sure their protocol, like if you see an animal, sometimes you have to hit it rather than skid or swerve off the road, or into another car. Not sure if an Amtrak full of passengers would slam on the breaks for one car, or just slow safely ass possible and just hit it, to avoid a possible disaster in a derailment with passengers on board.. Who knows…

38 Elwood June 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM

“The way to convince someone is explain it nicely”

Don’t park on the tracks you stupid **** also works well.

39 Marianne June 23, 2014 at 1:50 PM

What a STOOPID idiot she is. I guess those genes must run in her family!

40 Suzanne June 23, 2014 at 1:55 PM

@Y ME
No such luck, why the rage? you should post your name on Claycord so the real ragers can have a go at you.

41 Ms. Kitty June 23, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Looks like some didn’t have their morning coffee. Extra strong with a little irish aught to do. :-)

42 Ms. Kitty June 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I know a Mikey dressed in black, drives a sporty and has those incessant frown lines; this doesn’t sound like you.

43 David Epling June 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I am somewhat of an expert. My railfan group meets once a month at various locations thr ought central California once a month. January we are always in Martinez at the old depot. This route is heavily used. The new depot sits at the apex of a curve. This means sight lines are limited in each direction. In addition to the 44 mentioned Amtrak trains there are about an additional 20 or so freight trains. This woman endangered a lot of people even for the short time she parked there. This photo should be sent to Martinez PD, UP PD, and Amtrak PD.

44 David Epling June 23, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I forgot to clarify. The railfan group is Calrailfans, and we meet as a group at various trackside locations once a month. We see this stuff all the time.

45 Michelle June 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM

That track in CC is highly used by many trains. On my Amtrak cross country travels, I have yet to see a car parked stupidly as that. But in CC, idiots abound.

46 Cowellian June 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM

She missed the brain train.

47 Aspirin June 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM

There is no hope.

48 Me June 23, 2014 at 5:31 PM

@Cowellian, At least she missed the Sleep train. The “Big sleep” train…

49 B June 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Yes it was stupid, yes she effed up. But why all the horrible comments about how she looks? Between here and fb I’m disgusted with how rude and disgusting the trolls of claycord really are.
It’s truly sad that someone’s mistake would have anything to do wih their looks and appearance. This is where things in our world are going wrong!
SAD JUST SAD.

50 @B June 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Who’s talking about the way she looks? I must have missed it. Granted, I didn’t read every word of every comment, but I saw nothing at all about her looks.

Heck, I don’t even see any problem with how she looks. I like my women with some junk in the trunk. :)

51 serial offender? June 23, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I’m going to speculate that because of the Food Truck Mafia sign, that this was not a one-off brain fart, and she may be doing this twice a day, day in, day out. While there appears to be a marked lack of forethought, premeditation would seem to be involved.

I doubt if nonchalantly parking on RR tracks and exiting your vehicle is common. I’m guessing that 99.9% of that hazard at this particular crossing could be eliminated by the cops having a brief chat with these folks.

52 W June 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM

It is Horrible that it is just that way. Pray to God that things get better.

53 Cautiously Informed June 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM

How can some people be lacking so much in basic common sense?

54 Anon June 24, 2014 at 3:07 AM

I saw a similar thing just the other day, when I saw someone parking in a handicapped spot apparently without a placard, and I wondered “is race now a handicap?”