“Hands of Peace” Sculpture Moved to Civic Park in Walnut Creek

June 23, 2014 9:45 am · 39 comments

wc

wc1

The “Hands of Peace” sculpture in Walnut Creek has been moved to Civic Park.

The sculpture, for the past 43-years, has been tucked away in the Quail Ct. office park. “Hands of Peace” is owned by the Chang family, who purchased the sculpture, along with the the Quail Ct. office park in 1967. The family is loaning the sculpture to the City of Walnut Creek for the next 25-years.

This public art work is funded through a cooperative relationship with the Chang family and the City.

In addition to loaning the piece to the City for 25 years, the family paid for its restoration and also paid for the full cost of transporting the piece to Civic Park, as well as its installation, according to the City of Walnut Creek.

photo credit: City of Walnut Creek

1 TJ June 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

This sculpture is to Walnut Creek what the spirit poles were to Concord. LOL.

2 Mr. John June 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Sadly, I believe it will have severe damage to a few of those fingers in the next year…

3 Thank you for posting! June 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Soooooo neat! I grew up near Quail Ct. I remember our parents taking us to see this meaningful sculpture! Huge, impressive meaningful piece of art!
I’ll be heading down to Civic Park with my camera to get some shots! Thank you Claycord.

4 Misquote June 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM

“The children shall inherit the hearth” … Uh, nice goin Buffano …

5 Lake June 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I see photoshop art in the future

6 wibbly June 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Let’s give WC a hand! (just couldn’t resist :-) )

7 wibbly June 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM

ducking down now… :-)

8 Anon-2-U June 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM

They should have placed it atop that ugly yellow-orangey bald head in downtown…..pat pat pat

9 Cowellian June 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I think Mr. John is psychic.

10 JC June 23, 2014 at 11:25 AM

@ TJ LOL at you. A great piece by a true master sculptor with an interesting bio. The artist, Beniamino Bufano cut off his trigger finger and sent it to President Woodrow Wilson to protest World War I. Walnut Creek is lucky to have a Bufano. Take your kids to see it. Bufano’s Madonna at Fort Mason is one the city’s most photographed and well known public works of art. The quote on Hand of Piece reads “The children of the world shall inherit the earth.”

11 scooter June 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Who the hell are these idiots in WC City government that approve public art? This new ‘art’ piece goes perfectly with the ridiculous bald baby head fountain on Main St…..what’s next a fungus infected toenail sculpture outside city hall?

12 Bob from Accountemps June 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Seems like a better location. There is a great Bufano collection at the Robert Mondavi winery.

13 Antler June 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM

How gracious a donation by the Chang family!

14 What security June 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM

That would ironic if it fell on some-one. Okay today I have sic sense of humor today

15 CCC_N8ive June 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Finally!!

As a kid I used to see this sculpture briefly through the trees from 680 as our family car whizzed by. I was always intrigued by this “mysterious hand”. After I was able to drive I went up there a few times to look for it but I never found it. I thought it must have been moved and I eventually stopped looking.

Now I can finally check it out!

16 Concord23 June 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Lovely sculpture. It’s too bad they had to rip out that beautiful little tree that was there next to the bench for many years. It would have been nice to have the sculpture and the tree.

17 TJ June 23, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Are you all crazy? Seriously…. this is god awful.
I can already hear people at Broadway Plaza….

“Oh Brittany – Did you hear we have a real ‘Bufano’ sculpture in the park? Its absolutely divine”

Call it whatever you want, its a piece of junk.
Nice to know your standards are so low…..now I’m going to go make a version of this with just 1 finger and I’ll sell to the city for big money…..

18 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Ugh. If they paid anything for it, the price was too high.

19 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM

So is Walnut Creek now competing with Berkeley and concord for ugliest public works of art?

20 OldWCreeker June 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Scooter – there is a lot of fungal infection on the inside of City Hall so I wouldn’t be surprised if seeped outside.

I don’t mind the sculpture but I do mind that a large number of beautiful and healthy magnolia trees were ripped out to accommodate Bob Simmons’ dream of having this “art” piece installed somewhere in the city. (Just one more thing to brag about in this “world class destination city”.)

The original relocation plan would have put it on the corner of Olympic and S. California at the entrance to Alma Park where far more people could see it and it would have plenty of space around it. Charles Schwab and I assume the owner of the building Mark Hall objected hence the tree cutting frenzy in Civic Park so they could cram it in the restricted space. Not the kind of power politics Mr. Bufanno would have approved of!

21 Cowellian June 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire,
I’d be interested in knowing how much it will cost the city when they decide to get rid of it. If I remember correctly, Concord had to pay the artist $40,000 to get rid of the spirit poles, even though they were a public hazard.

22 Bob from Accountemps June 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM

@ TJ – your sculpture sounds perfect for Park ‘N’ Shop. I can already hear Ron Mexico in his jorts and wifebeater saying “hey ese we gots us a TJ”

23 Ricardoh June 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Funny no mention of the sculptor Benny Bufano.

24 @Bob June 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM

which office are you in?

25 Dr. Jellyfinger® June 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Well….. I’d like to give it a “Thumbs Up” but it has NO THUMBS!

26 Silva June 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Cowellian, the version of the removal of the “Spirit Poles” I heard from my mother was that the city couldn’t remove the things w/o written permission from the “sculptor”, but he/she could not be located, and as they were becoming unstable and a hazard, they went ahead and took the things down.

27 Silva June 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM

#20, how sad.

This sculpture is a bit more pleasing than the silly and ridiculous “Spirit Poles”, thumbs down! What a joke.

28 Cowellian June 23, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Dr. Jellyfinger,
Are all of your digits accounted for?

29 Vindex June 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Ugly

30 Silva June 24, 2014 at 5:50 AM

Where’s the other hand? The title is “Hands of Peace” not “Hand of Peace”.

31 Marissa June 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Love this beautiful piece of art.

32 Led June 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Ugly as sin, period.

33 @smart June 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I read all your negative comments all over Claycord. So sad a life you must have.I feel sorry for you and anyone that has to live with or around you.So closed minded and hateful. You make your (R) party look bad. I only pray your offspring are not trolls like you.

34 @smart June 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Oh yes, and PEACE to you my brother. Weather you like it or not we are brothers.

35 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM

what are you talking about?

36 @smart June 25, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Its just a reflection on your history of comments.

37 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

weirdo!

38 @smart June 25, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Some may say, but there are many who would strongly disagree. That’s what freedom and choice are all about. Have a great day Ill look forward to your posts.

39 LLOYD June 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Why, children of the world shall inherit the hearth” and not earth?
What’s up with that?