Claycordians – Beware of the Latest Phone Scam Targeting Grandparents

June 20, 2014 18:00 pm · 20 comments

Claycordian (especially if you’re a grandparent), please read this….

This morning I received my third scam call from degenerates preying on older people. They pretend they are a grandchild and wait for you to guess who.

Do not give a name to them, if you do not recognize the voice, give them a phony name and you know you’re being scammed. My husband went into a tizzy with a call about his granddaughter, it’s a good thing I came home during the call or he would have sent the money for her “bail”.

With any family this is a possibility, but keep calm, do not give them a real name, if it is a real family member you will know.

Sincerely, a caring Grandma and Claycordian.

Thanks for the heads-up!

{ 20 comments }

1 . June 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Have some fun with the scum, while you are talking … in mid sentence disconnect the phone. Drives them nuts, especially when they try to call back and get no answer or an answering machine. Works on telemarketers too.

2 Mr.Clean June 20, 2014 at 6:13 PM

This has been going on for some time,it will continue untill this country gets back on its feet.Which I doubt will ever happen in my lifetime,considering our elected officials.

3 GoGo Gomez June 20, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Scum bags!

4 Mr. Obvious June 20, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I got a call from my elder father the other month, asking about his anti-virus software because “Microsoft” called him the day before saying his computer was infected. I was 1) The real Microsoft doesn’t care about your computer after they sell you Windows. B) Umm did they have a Indian acccent and want your credit card and remote control fo your computer to “fix” the problems? SMH
The world is full of too many douchebags, we need another black plaque to cull the population.

5 Veronica June 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Mr. Obvious, anit-viruses don’t work when you’re dealing with the multitude. I explained this to my son. When you download hpv, it just wipes the entire machine.

6 CG June 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM

That happened to my mom last year about this time, she was very upset and stated my eldest nephew’s name. They said yes. My nephew luckly was living with her at the time and she screamed his name, he came running inside as he just got home. He took the phone from my mom and really blasted them. Be careful and tell everyone you know especially the elderly. What scums these people are preying on the unexpected.

7 Valorie June 20, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Oh No! Scam artists have at it!

8 Dorothy June 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Happen to a cousin about 2 years ago. She got as far as buying a money card before reality set in and she did some more checking. She was able to her money back on that card. She is not someone I would have thought would fall for this but the callers can be that slick and convincing.

9 Brian June 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM

This actually happened to my grandfather last year. He got a call saying I was in jail and needed to be bailed out and said that my parents weren’t available. He said they even called my grandpa what I call him (Greek) and that’s what convinced him. Western union was nice enough to refund him his money.

10 Valorie June 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM

No coming back from that!

11 Peanut June 20, 2014 at 7:41 PM

It happened to my Mother in Law a few years ago. She wasn’t the smartest and sent some money but not all of it. They filed a police report but of course nothing could be done. You’d think she’d know better. His friends (right) said they visited grandson at the police station. They brought him a pillow and they got to bring a pizza and sit in the cell with him to eat it. Yeah right.

12 Anonymous June 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Another scam : they get into someone’s address book in their computer and send an email addressed to the recipient from the trusted person. They ask for money because they lost their visa or are in some far jail.

I believe that these people that victimize old people will burn in hell for 2-3000 years . Least I hope so.

13 Reluctant farmer June 20, 2014 at 7:47 PM

yesterday was the day we old folks were hit with the calls…1st was the infected computer call…husband made believe he was taken and hitting all the keys…led him on for quite a while…kept telling him “my machine is old…I dont have that key” LOL finally hung up on him and right away came the WA DC call from the IRS…oh he REALLY had fun with this call!…told the guy “IM always in trouble with the law” “I paid off the judge” No reaction to that comment..guy said you owe $50K and the “state police”
will be at your door to take you away in handcuffs in 10 min…or…you can pay $1500 and all will be taken care of. Told him “Come and get me” and hung up…but had kept him online for a looooong time doing this.

Dont mess with us old people LOL

14 That's All Folks! June 20, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I keep a whistle by my phone just for the scammers. I’ll blow it into the phone right in their ear, they never call back.

15 Concordejet June 21, 2014 at 8:06 AM

You know what my mom did for my grandma before she went to the nursing home after her husband died. We put a fake name in the phone book for example, Fake name would be Linda and my grandma real name will be Jody (but I am still giving you both name fake haha) if a scammer calls for Linda and Grandma pick up the phone and he/she ask for Linda, My Grandma (Jody with real name) will hang up the phone on them.

16 jk June 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I am so tired of getting calls from solitators….at nite I unplug the phone…as do not want to deal with them at nite…they always seem to call about 8 or 9
every nite…there are so many of them…guess that is why they will not go away anytime soon….did answer the phone the other day….and said ‘NO thank you…I am sick…and hung up…worked…was sick…ha

17 Kirkwood June 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM

My ringer is always off and the machine picks up with the speaker on. Most of the callers hang up without saying a word, a few live or robo-callers will record a message and if I hear my name I decide on the spot whether to or not pick-up and talk. It does sound a bit unfriendly but friends and relatives know that I screen my calls and allow time for me to get to the phone.

18 CereBellum June 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Same thing happened to my 82 yr. old mother-in-law about 8 months ago. Some guy called and said that her grandson had been involved in a car accident and needed $1,500 in order to fix it. She went directly to the bank and forwarded this a-hole the money. That was bad, however he called back a few days later asking for an additional $500. My daughter was there this time and told grandma “don’t do it, it’s a total scam”. She did it anyway. Probably would have happened a third time if she had not spoken directly to grandson. Expensive Lesson!

19 Julio June 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM

The only answering done on our phone is an answering machine. Any number not leaving a message is blocked. Peace and quiet reign.

20 Lori June 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM

FYI – Do Not Call # 1-888-382-1222 it takes a couple weeks for them to stop calling and some will continue to call. It does work, but you need to redo it every 6 months. I started doing this about 6 years ago I rarely get telemarketing calls.