The Claycord Online Museum – A Sticker from the Grand Opening of the Sunvalley Mall

June 17, 2014 14:00 pm · 12 comments

sunvalley1

We’re sticking with the Sunvalley Mall theme again for this week’s Claycord Online Museum post.

Thanks to Chris Powell for this bumper sticker, which was from the grand opening of the Sunvalley Mall. He said the colors didn’t scan well, but they are bright blue and orange.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

{ 12 comments }

1 Greg in Pleasant Hill June 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I wonder what the oldest store in continual use is at SunValley?

2 nytemuvr June 17, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Sears was there before the mall, but I guess you mean inside the mall proper. I don’t know if the mall was planned before Sears was built or was just “added” on.

3 Chester E. Kitty June 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM

@ Greg – probably one of the big stores … Sears, Penny’s or Macy’s … or all three. As far as the little stores … I don’t think any of them were around when SV opened.

Great bumper sticker!

4 Greg in Pleasant Hill June 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM

You’re right probably one of the big stores. The only small store I can think of that’s been around since I was a kid is the McDonald’s.

5 nytemuvr June 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM

It would have been Sears as Penneys and Macys(after Liberty House and/or Rhodes) were in Park n’ Shop then I think.

6 JET June 18, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Well, that would be accurate today as well….. the last time I went to Sunvalley, I would definitely describe it as ‘something special’ but probably not in the way it originally was intended. LOL.

7 Andrew V. June 18, 2014 at 7:13 AM

The McDonald’s opened in 1982 when the lower level was extended all the way to the Sears store. I was one of the original employees at that Micky D’s, so I remember working the opening day.

Looking in the stores in the current mall directory I’m pretty sure most of those companies were founded after Sun Valley opened. So the only original stores left are the three anchors, Sears, Macy’s, and J.C. Penny’s.

8 Andrew V. June 18, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Also, I suppose you could consider Bank of America an original tenet too. However when the mall opened they had a location in the mall proper by Macy’s instead of the stand alone branch in the parking lot now.

9 BossHogg June 18, 2014 at 8:05 AM

how to adapt that bumper sticker to today? translate it to spanish.

10 Alfred June 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Does anyone know if the movie 9 to 5 was shot here. When Violet goes to buy a scarf the have a mall scene and it looks like it but not sure.

11 Toby C. June 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM

@Alfred – here is a link to info on the filming locations for 9 to 5….. looks like most of it was filmed down south….. lots of malls look the same so likely isn’t Sun Valley…. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080319/locations?ref_=ttfc_ql_6

12 GoodOldDays June 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Wow…the good old days. Lots of good memories there. WIth all the riff raff that hangs out there now. I avoid the mall. I haven’t set foot in the place for about 8 years. Too bad.