ALERT: Pedestrian Fatally Struck in Lafayette – Road Closed

June 17, 2014 · 13 comments

It’s on the border of Claycord, so we’re letting you know about it in case you’re in the area.

There has been a fatal collision between a vehicle and a pedestrian in Lafayette this afternoon, according to police.

The collision occurred in the area of El Nido Ranch and Upper Happy Valley roads, police said at 1:30 p.m.

Upper Happy Valley Road will be closed between El Nido Ranch Road and Los Arabis Drive until this evening, police said.

Police advised drivers to avoid the area.

1 Ticket Free for 30 years June 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I drive through that intersection several times a week. One of the right turns looks like a “Yield” situation, but it is a “Stop” sign.

How many people do I see roll through this intersection merely slowing down instead of stopping? About the same as everywhere: maybe 50%,

Between the complete lack of respect for Stop signs and red lights, and the rampant cell phone use we see every day while driving, it’s surprising more people aren’t mowed down.

One way to get a picture of how many people do crazy stuff while driving is to stand or sit by a stretch of road somewhere where you can’t be seen, and just watch people as they drive by. I do this while on break from work, and it’s shocking what I see. People texting, People smoking drugs out of little glass pipes. People eating with both hands. People applying makeup. People doing all kinds of crazy things instead of driving.

There’s no way I’m getting back on a motorcycle, having seen what I’ve seen.

2 Cat Wrangler June 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM

How very sad. :( My thoughts and prayers are with the person who passed away and his loved ones.

3 No Chicken little June 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM

As a pedestrian if you don’t take your own safety into your own hands you have to leave it to the driver, not so smart. But I see it every day. You can be dead right. Me I’m ready to run for it..

4 anon June 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM

People at where I live walk in the bike lane all the time just waiting to get hit by a car.

5 Anon June 17, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Thank God he/she had their iPhone ear buds in.

6 You last three, June 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Numbers 3,4,and five; suck as human beings!

7 Anon June 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

@6be nice and climb back in your hole.

8 biggus thinkus June 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

my heart goes out to the family and friends of the deceased.
i’m not here to judge, i wasnt there, i dont know the circumstances.
@ no chicken little; TOTALLY.
i believe the right of way (now) goes to the most tonnage.
@anon 5; kinda harsh, but honest sarcasm. i have almost hit many pedestrians that cross/step off the curb blindly (tuned out) and then get upset with the driver… whatever.
at the same time, @ticket free; Yes. we as a culture are so distracted all the time, it is surprising there aren’t more fatalities (however, see SF’s stats…).
i get honked at because i’m wondering if Mjr. Goofball is actually going to step off the curb. honk on.

9 PEDESTRIAN ALERT! June 17, 2014 at 10:58 PM

EVERY PEDESTERIAN must BE AWARE OF THEIR SURROUNDINGS AND NOT TAKE RISKS. mANY THINK A DRIVER CAN CLEARLY SEE THEM AND KNOW WHAT THEY ARE UP TO, BUT IN THIS DAY AND AGE OF DISTRACTED, DRUGGED AND IMPAIRED VISION DRIVERS. wE MUST BE ALERT AT ALL TIMES. pLEASE TAKE YOUR SAFETY INTO YOUR OWN HANDS!
yES i AM YELLING!

10 just a min. June 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I work near there and it was a elderly women.

11 Nutcreek Frontier June 18, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Have they identified this poor woman yet?

12 gimli June 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I fail to see how a pedestrian can take their safety into “their own hands.” They are not in control of the 5,000lb vehicle. Last time I checked I could not outrun a car!!

13 Walnut Creek Resident June 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM

#12 GEAT POINT!! h would people blame the pedestrian????