Safeway Plans Expansion of Gas Station on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill

June 14, 2014 · 38 comments

safeway

Safeway on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill is planning an expansion of their gas station, according to the City of Pleasant Hill.

City Manager June Catalano says “The Planning Commission conducted a public hearing to consider a Use Permit for the installation of, or modifications to, two underground fuel storage tanks (consisting of two 30,000 gallon tanks) and associated fuel dispensers. The existing fuel storage tanks are not proposed to be enlarged or expanded. The existing six double-sided fuel dispensers (12 fuel nozzles) are proposed to be increased to ten double-side fuel dispensers (a total of 20 fuel nozzles) The existing fuel island canopy is proposed to be extended by 50 feet to the south (3,000 square feet) and new vehicular stacking areas, modifications to the existing on-site circulation pattern, parking design and landscape plan are proposed.

No members of the public spoke on the item during the public hearing.

The Architectural Review Commission will also be considering this project on June 19, 2014.

1 awsomeee June 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Great more traffic right there.!!!!! Good idea

2 KAD June 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM

The last time I went there to get gas it was not until I was at the pump I was told to go to that I found out that they were out of the grade I wanted to fill up with. I was ticked off because I could not save as much as I thought I was going to save. I now have .60 off a gallon but not sure if I want to go through the hassle to use it.

3 Frank June 14, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Safeway gas is is the worst quality gas. Yeah you save because they are cheap but pay the mechanic to fix your car. Chevron is best quality and you can save money by using your Safeway discount at any chevron. Also you don’t have to wait 20 minutes. My time is valuable.

4 Tom June 14, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I use to go there occasionally, but the line isn’t worth it. If you have a dollar off per gallon (shopper discount), maybe. But there are other discount stations (with much shorter lines), or Shell and Chevron if I want good gas.

5 Mark June 14, 2014 at 3:16 PM

@Frank

My Dad worked at Chevron for 35 years and according to him (most) of the gas is the same stuff just different additives are dumped in depending where the tanker is delivering to.

6 KAD June 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I get better gas mileage with the Safeway gas. I think it is because the gas pumps are newer than some of the other gas stations but nobody wants to believe me.

7 Nuttsie the Nutter June 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Wow. If your time is so valuable, get up early on Saturday or Sunday morning, drive up to the pump, fill up and go home. But then you couldn’t spend your valuable time sleeping.

And as to cheap gas, boy does advertising ever work to pull in gullible people. You do realize that independent stations buy gasoline from whatever distributor has a surplus, be that Chevron, Shell or whomever. But you might not be getting that amazing Technoline or whatever the add agency has decided to call it..

8 dinkydau June 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I have seen the line of cars snake around where peoples cars are. The lines sometimes are so long, the people that shop cant get out of their parking space and then it gets jammed up in front of the store. Cheap gas; Rotten Robbie is about 4 or 5cents more. So people wait in line for over 30min. to save themselves an average of 75cents. Shell may be few cents more if you pay $6 for a car wash. I get the wash and then later use the coupon. its good for 99 days! People also wait and don’t realize they can stretch the hose to the other side to their gas tank. So they wait and other gas pumps are idle that can be used. STUPID!!!!

9 Dorothy June 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM

What public meeting? When was it? Where was it?

10 Teacher Wannabe June 14, 2014 at 4:21 PM

@Frank. Gas is gas is gas. Why pay .40/gal more for the same thing. As for trsffic, don’t go during rush hour. I rarely wait more than a minute to get a pump.

11 Anonymous June 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM

CA requires by law so many additives and such it really is hard to buy bad gas in CA. A gas supplier once told mehe delivers to a mom and pop station and the drives his truck around the corner to refuel a name brand station. Exact sme gas at both places.

12 East Bay Babe June 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I wish they placed that gas station on the side of Nordstrom Rack not in front. of the stores. They should have anticipated long lines.

13 No kidding June 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM

If you don’t want to buy gas there, don’t. If you want to keep believing that shell or chevron “name brand gas” is better, keep believing. When you find the “other refineries” let the rest of us know. Discount gas is surplus refined by the same refineries. Name brand means you’re paying for advertising and marketing gimmicks and fancier stations. I’d rather just pay for gasoline. As long as Safeway gives discounts for items I buy anyway, I’ll be buying their gas when convenient too.

14 steven.s June 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I went to a mechanic a couple years ago to have some maintenance performed on my 13 year old vehicle at the time . when they took off the exhaust manifold and all the parts to get to the manifold, they called me to tell me that they had never seen a motor that was so clean internally. They said usually its dark from combustion and just full of grime but they said mine looked brand new still . there question to me was what was I using ? “I only use cheveron lubricants and fuel ” I replied . im saying this to you all because I personally have experienced the benefits of using pricier oils and lubricants for my vehicles wondering if it actually made a difference and I have concluded through my personal experience that they are worth the added cost.

15 Julio June 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Well, you all should have gone to the hearing. These things are listed in the newspaper as well on the city website. They are not kept secret. Pay attention! You didn’t want Nordstrom Rack there but didn’t go to the Planning Commission. You could change your life if you only paid more attention. Work hard at it and you could get rid of Safeway gas station also. Then you could park and go to Nordstroms.

16 Ancient Mariner June 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM

@ East Bay Babe No. 12:
They might be able to squeeze it in there, but it would be tricky. That parking lot is about 1/3 owned by the owners of the Safeway / N. Rack building, and about 2/3 by the owners of the building to the north. So they wouldn’t be able to just put it wherever they wanted – they’d have to make sure the lines didn’t encroach into the north part of that parking lot to diminish the north building’s parking.

17 Elwood June 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Safeway has a special relationship with Chevron, so what kind of gas do you suppose they sell?

18 Tom June 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Gas is gas, but additives in gasoline affect mileage.

As far as higher octane grades, keep in mind knocking and pinging.

Just fill up before you run out………….

19 Well... June 14, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Gas is gas is gas, UNTIL the additives are put in. Then it becomes Shell or Cheveron, etc. All stations get their gas from one of the 5 refineries but you will be getting the better additives if you go to Shell or Chyeveron.

I don’t mind spending a dollar or two more to not have to wait in line for 30 min.

20 JPEG June 14, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I worked at Chevron refinery in Richmond. Every brand tanker drove out of there with the same gas. Chevron adds techron a detergent that’s the only difference.

21 Elmo June 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Great..

I go passed there going to and from work, always have people trying turn in there to buy there cheap gas.

Hopefully the city figures out that they need to make the Right turn line at the stop light into the shopping center longer, as I see people all the time driving on the right of me trying to get ahead of me when the traffic is stopped. People don’t know that the turn lane starts where is painted not before.

I used to buy there cheap gas in tell I had to replace my spark plugs because of carbon build up, which means that it is cheap gas and doesn’t burn clean…

22 JPEG June 14, 2014 at 7:09 PM

@elmo it’s not cheep gas you must have a old car. New cars don’t need to change spark plugs until 100,000 miles.

23 Elmo June 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM

@JPEG

I checked and found that around 50 thousand miles I had to replace the spark plugs, I now have over thousand miles on my 97 car, and using Chevron for the last couple of years and it runs great! I plan on keeping my car for a long time, passes smog, has a real cast iron V8 an allot of steel and not plastic like the cars you buy now days.

24 Vindex June 14, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Major homeless problem down at that shopping center.

25 JPEG June 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Sorry Elmo, you don’t sound like a mechanic. Am I supposed to buy chevron gas because your car needed $9.52 worth of spark plugs after 50,000 miles? I’m sure the gas is the same less the detergent.

26 Ancient Mariner June 14, 2014 at 10:50 PM

@ Elmo no. 23:
My car has about 447,000 miles on it and I never use name-brand gas except in an emergency. I’ve been driving it since 1979.
A mechanic told me to change the oil every 3,000 miles and change the coolant every 2 years and it’ll run forever. So I do. And it has.

27 Dr. Doc, PHD June 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM

I avoidthat place like the plague. I’d rather go to the valero on alhambra. The valero on center av is overrun with meth heads asking for money.

28 Anon June 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Awesome, now there will be more red light runners over by the tanks of gasoline…

29 JOHN June 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I don’t know what youi all are paying in Contra Costa County as I moved from thier in around 1981. About 7 years ago I finally had enough of the high cost of CA and moved to MO. I paid $3.17 a gallon on 6-13-14. A couple years ago I was paying around $1.34 for 87 octane at Wal-Mart. Hoping that the downward trend keeps up. I don’t understand why CA has to pay a dollar more a gal since it has so many refineries right there in Martinez and Richmond to list a couple. There’s obviously been a lot of gouging going on for years there. Unless the people stand together and strike on buying gas for a day each month the price of gas will continue to cost more there. The amount of homes and peoples paycheck shouldn’t perdict the price you pay for fuel. There should be a uniformed price across the nation. In the 70ties we had to go to odd and even days and wait in line to get gas The government lower the speed limit from 65 to 55mph they said because of a fuel shortage. That was almost 40 years ago. Since then the reason has been drilled into us that it is supply and demand. Or the Iraqi oil fields were on fire. Or because of Huricane season. They always seem to have an excuse to raise the price. But there has never been a problem with getting your car filled up even with all the excuses. So who do they think they are fooling?

30 Safeway's Gas is..... June 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Chevron gas. Long before consumers were able to use their Safeway points towards Chevron gas stations I was told by someone in upper management of Safeway that they buy their gas from Chevron. Now, if this is true or not I don’t know, but that’s what they told me and then a couple years later here is Safeway and Chevron merging with point discounts. It seems pretty likely.

31 Just Saved $1 a Gallon June 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I don’t always go to Safeway for gas, but when my discount gets up to $1 a gallon I go. That’s a good discount.

32 Cuzzzzzzz...... June 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I find it interesting that I can pull 75-80 more miles off a tank of gas in Nevada than I do here. Not sure if it is the lack of crappy additives or the altitude but I get way better mileage there than here…………and no I won’t sit in that line to save a few cents. But then again I don’t shop at Safeway…….over priced mediocre quality food.

33 Bubba June 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I HATE Safeway!!!
They can SHOVE their cards where the the sun doesn’t shine.
Will NEVER shop a place where you need a card!

34 RanchgirlCA June 16, 2014 at 5:50 AM

I use my gas rewards once I’ve got $1 off per gallon, otherwise I go to Costco. Go early, shorter or no lines. It’s worth the trip and I just do my grocery shopping while I’m there. If it saves money, I’m all for it.

35 Cowellian June 16, 2014 at 7:22 AM

John@29,
California requires a special gasoline not sold in any other state, so of course it costs more, And California gas & sales taxes are among the highest in the nation, but they will go up considerably more, once cap & trade shows up at the gas pumps, starting next year.

FWIW, last week I used a 70¢ Kroger discount and paid $2.649 per gallon, here in Nashville.

36 Cuzzzzzzz...... June 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Cowellian #35 – BINGO!!!!!!!! That is why we are so happy we are on the fast track out of CA……Too many ridiculous taxes. They get people one way or another. And I think the additives actually decrease the MPG. Like I said we can pull and additional 75-80 mile out of a tank in NV where the gas doesnt have all the additives..

37 Cowellian June 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM

It’s been long enough that most Californians have forgotten that their government imposed MTBE on them. What a fiasco that was!

38 james June 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Mark#5 You are correct, my father also worked at Chevron for 33 years and was a chemist in their R&D fuels division.

He said all gasoline is the pretty much the same before the additives and detergents are added to the fuel.

I don’t even bother going to Safeway for gas, it is too much of a hassle.